• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driv3r - Gamespot review (pre-empt BOMB BOMB)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/driver3/review.html

"Driver 3 is full of the sorts of glitches and problems that final retail products shouldn't have. The graphical issues that are in the retail version of Driver 3 for the Xbox are the sorts of things that may make you wonder how this game even made it through Microsoft's submission and approval process and onto shelves. While the game itself isn't completely broken, it's uninspired and frequently frustrating or boring. Consider that, along with all the glitches, and it adds up to be a game that isn't worth your time or money."

emot-dance1.gif

Burger

I bet the developers are thanking the gods Atari doesn't use a review=royalty scheme like Warner Brothers.

Wow Atari really isn't doing much as a publisher. Things look much better for them later this year with Pirates! and Demon Stone coming.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah, they already made 3 short mini-movies or whatever (similiar to BMW's 'The Hire' series). And they're expecting this game to sell 10 million copies world wide. I can't wait to pick it up for $10 next month

SyNapSe

Soul4ger said:
How's the Cube version?

:lol

Anyway, it won't sell for at least huge amounts. Most people like to point to the Matrix game as an example, but it's fundamentally flawed. Sure, it was a crappy action game, but it also had a portion of the "matrix world" that basically wasn't to be seen/known anywhere else. I think that helped it a ton.

I think people need to keep in my mind that not all gamers spend their days on message boards on the internet so they wouldn't know how bad it is. Spare a thought for the guy who sees it on the shelf and thinks 'mmm Driver 3, I remember Driver 1 and that was cool, I'll buy it'. It will no doubt sell well intially but expect word of mouth to see it disappear quickly of the charts.

SyNapSe said:
:lol

Anyway, it won't sell for at least huge amounts. Most people like to point to the Matrix game as an example, but it's fundamentally flawed. Sure, it was a crappy action game, but it also had a portion of the "matrix world" that basically wasn't to be seen/known anywhere else. I think that helped it a ton.

I actually enjoyed ETM. Sure it is flawed and really needed another few months dev time but I had fun with it. Some of the fights were quite cool. Driver 3 sounds like its much worse than ETM.

Shades of Enter the Matrix.......buggy half-finished game that will go on to sell millions.

Atari knows what its doing...totally cater to the casuals and reap the $$$ whirlwind.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
PSM2 Magazine UK 7/1/2004 90 out of 100 90.0%
Games Radar 6/15/2004 90 out of 100 90.0%
Gamespot 6/21/2004 54 outa of 100 54%

.. and its only going to get uglier.
PSM2 UK and Games Rader = Offically Useless for reviews

dream

The forums user, who identifies himself as "Jell," states that gaming companies are supplying UK magazines with videogames in exchange for high review scores. He claims that the current big culprit is Atari with their newest super-hyped videogame, DRIV3R. Allegedly, there are demands for at least a 9/10 score in exchange for early review code

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16718

Suikoguy said:

The PSMS and Games Radar review are the same review. They are not two different ones.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
nitewulf said:
why would you even want to buy it at $9.99 if its a bug ridden, glitchy game?

Cause at $9.99 that might be close to balancing out the cost/gameplay ratio.

Dekajelly

Suikoguy said:

You forgot the 3/10 from Gamecentral :p

*edit

I see the scores are off Gamerankings so the score would not be on there, but still 3/10 hehe...

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
"The forums user, who identifies himself as "Jell," states that gaming companies are supplying UK magazines with videogames in exchange for high review scores. He claims that the current big culprit is Atari with their newest super-hyped videogame, DRIV3R. Allegedly, there are demands for at least a 9/10 score in exchange for early review code

Hmmm...

And to think-I liked Games Radar :(

Omeyocan

1up gave Driv3r a 8.5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...........Houston, we have a problem.................

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Omeyocan said:
1up gave Driv3r a 8.5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...........Houston, we have a problem.................

fenekku-gitsune must have received a huge money hat. Seanbaby does not approve

vskevin.jpg

1up review:
So why is this still an 8.5-caliber game? Because unlike The Getaway, DRIV3R doesn't lose sight of its main objective. It sets out to be an action movie, and an action movie it is. The missions Tanner carries out are hardly new -- the same driving, running and shooting that you saw in True Crime last November and will see in half a dozen games this fall -- but the production behind them is remarkable. No matter the situation, whether you're sneaking around a dark building or barreling through a shopping mall with three police cars in pursuit, you always feel on edge, as if you're living the 007-like "danger is my middle name" lifestyle at all times. The music, in particular, does a great deal to aid this -- like a good movie soundtrack, it perfectly establishes the tone of DRIV3R's situations without getting in your face.

skip

wow, didn't take long for that picture to get out. I saw that happen in person...twice. some poor girl got socked in the shoulder by fen's flailing feet.

good times.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
"i am speachless....after 3 years of research, it looks like the game is not all hopped out to be. "

lol

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
But they inverted used the "3" as an inverted E, so it looked all cool and shit. That's worth like 3 points right there. The fix is in.

shpankey

not an idiot
Soul4ger said:
How's the Cube version?

"While the game itself isn't completely broken, it's uninspired and frequently frustrating or boring."

Cube version isn't gonna fix that.

LakeEarth

shpankey said:
"While the game itself isn't completely broken, it's uninspired and frequently frustrating or boring."

Cube version isn't gonna fix that.

There is no Cube version. That's the joke when we say the Cube version is the best version.

Hell, that was the first clue that there was something wrong with the development with the game. When the game company says "the Cube/PS2 isn't powerful enough", it means "we don't know how to program worth shit!"

Top Bottom