• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During the last investor Q&A, Square Enix has once again stated that Final Fantasy XVI has met expectations

Bored The Office GIF

Thanks for reminding me of this game's existence. But I don't care whether it was financially successful or not; it still has an outdated and boring design

I was so damn excited for that one, but then I saw hands-on impressions and then reviews, nah. Completely killed my excitement. As a huge fan of XV, warts & all, I do hope they go back to open-world next time.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

"To all the haters, I just want to reiterate that Final Fantasy XVI has met expectations, and we are never going to release another turb-based, mainline, Final Fantasy Game. K thnx bye."

Go_Ly_Dow

I was so damn excited for that one, but then I saw hands-on impressions and then reviews, nah. Completely killed my excitement. As a huge fan of XV, warts & all, I do hope they go back to open-world next time.
Strange maybe I read something different as it reviewed very well (87 meta) and the user score is relatively high (8.1). Considering the game was review bombed for a few outlets for the lack of diversity and there were some review bombs from the turn based crowd it seems the majority enjoyed it going by the data we have.

Last edited:
Strange maybe I read something different as it reviewed very well (87 meta) and the user score is relatively high (8.1). Considering the game was review bombed for a few outlets for the lack of diversity and there were some review bombs from the turn based crowd it seems most enjoyed it going by the data we have.
It wasn’t the scores for me. It was more how the game was designed and how it wasn’t what I was hoping it would’ve been. Less emphasis on RPG elements, more emphasis on crazy big set pieces that you run through. Just seemed meh to me 🤷‍♂️

nowhat

They also said the game sold less digitally and more physically in todays investor Q&A.
This is rather surprising. From what I've understood, Japan is still quite big on physical, but FFXVI wasn't such a hit in Japan was it? So that's a surprising result, given elsewhere digital is really popular.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Yet, Tomb Raider sells over 10 million and it 'underperformed'

Expectations for Japanese studios differ from studios in the West I guess.

Not great, not terrible. Finished in the top 20 on NPD. Ahead of Street Fighter 6 but behind Starfield, RE4 and Dead island 2.

GEIVPXDbIAA8YJV
I mean...only FFXVI was an exclusive though. I'm sure Square-Enix got money from Sony either for development or marketing or both...so i'm sure they took that in consideration.

Go_Ly_Dow

Not great, not terrible. Finished in the top 20 on NPD. Ahead of Street Fighter 6 but behind Starfield, RE4 and Dead island 2.

GEIVPXDbIAA8YJV

Resi 4 for example released simultaneously on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series and PC Vs just PS5 for XVI. It also released 3 months before XVI, so it's about 6 months worth of sales Vs 9.

Looking at the Playstation only chart it shows XVI outsold Resi 4 across PS consoles (both PS4 and 5) which is a decent result.

As you say, not terrible, not great, but good at least and enough to warrant a big budget 17.
oYI4Clg.png

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Not saying it flopped but the Q&A is about their performance as whole and not just FF16. They say they'll release FF16 on PC to keep revenue up.

Same, loved the focused, cinematic experience.
I loved the combat and how generally "un-anime" the whole thing was. Outside of Mid there wasn't really a single character who was the stereotypical anime bullshit, and even then Mid was barely that at all.

People say that Ace Combat is Final Fantasy with airplanes, but it's generally been a very western-sensibility friendly franchise, FFXVI kinda swung around where it's Ace Combat with swords.

Last edited:

Three

Yet, Tomb Raider sells over 10 million and it 'underperformed'

Expectations for Japanese studios differ from studios in the West I guess.
On multiple platforms. Of course a next gen exclusive on 1 platform has a lower ceiling.

Last edited:

yazenov

Within the Top 100, there's Dead Space Remake (No.30), Final Fantasy 16 (No.32), NBA 2K24 (No.33), Dead Island 2 (No.35), Starfield (No.37), The Crew Motorfest (No.38), WWE 2K23 (No.42), Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (No.48), Mortal Kombat 1 (No.53), Just Dance 2024 (No.82), EA Sports UFC 5 (No.97) and Street Fighter 6 (No.98).

FF 16 outsold Starfield in Europe.

Reallink

It's not 1997 anymore, Square are braindead. Ain't no way Sony's checks are fat enough to offset the day 1 loss of a PC and Xbox release within the launch hype cycle zeitgeist. These games do a fraction of their potential 18-36 months later when no one gives a fuck. Makes no sense at all for a third party publisher trying to maximize unit sales.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

I believe it met their expectations.

I also believe it failed to meaningfully expand the series’ audience and sales footprint, in an era where even formerly niche franchises like Persona, Nier, Monster Hunter, and Fire Emblem have broken out and found major success.

yazenov

Yes but so did literally everything else of note. It's almost as if putting your game on a $10 subscription service kills sales.
Yes, but the other game is also on multiple platforms while FF16 is exclusive to the PS5 with a new userbase as the PS5 was sold out in stores until just recently last year. And not everyone is subscribed to that subscription service.

Gamepass and other subscription services are a tiny market.

Subscription growth has flattened, and sub services accounts for only 10% of total video game content spending in the US.​

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

I believe it met their expectations.

I also believe it failed to meaningfully expand the series’ audience and sales footprint, in an era where even formerly niche franchises like Persona, Nier, Monster Hunter, and Fire Emblem have broken out and found major success.
Not only did it not expand, we also have it pretty clearly cut that it failed to outsell FFXV in several key markets.
Yes, but the other game is also on multiple platforms while FF16 is exclusive to the PS5 with a new userbase as the PS5 was sold out in stores until just recently last year. And not everyone is subscribed to that subscription service.

Gamepass and other subscription services are a tiny market.

Ok but PS5 has like three times the install base of Series consoles and the latter is also plagued with a subscription service that allows you to try any game you want for $10 a month. You can see that FF16 got outsold by numerous other titles that didn't really have the IP/marketing behind it like this did. IMO being ranked 32 as a mainline FF game is hugely underperforming and the way Yoshi-P talked about reaching to the GTAV/CoD crowd in interviews before launch, it's hard to consider this anything but a commercial disappointment. And recent interviews with Yoshi-P also seems to indicate that SE isn't really willing to continue down this path. Like Lakeof9 said, we live in a period where many older Japanese IPs are growing and finding new audiences. The same isn't happening to FF.

I will once again stress that the question in the QA was regarding SE's entire corporate performance and not just FF16. Even then, SE has an interest to preserve face in front of shareholders. Do you hear MS saying Starfield underperformed? Even though we know by near every measurable metric that it did.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Pretty sure it has met its sales expecations before the game was revealed or available for sale.
St Patricks Day Rainbow GIF by TipsyElves.com

And of course it did, its from their own square enix studio so it meets expectations unlike the games from eidos/crystal dynamics which have undoubtedly sold more.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm glad they didn't lose their ass on this game, and I liked the game (just finished it on Sunday), but I don't like the formula here. No more solo combat like this please.

yazenov

Not only did it not expand, we also have it pretty clearly cut that it failed to outsell FFXV in several key markets.

Ok but PS5 has like three times the install base of Series consoles and the latter is also plagued with a subscription service that allows you to try any game you want for $10 a month. You can see that FF16 got outsold by numerous other titles that didn't really have the IP/marketing behind it like this did. IMO being ranked 32 as a mainline FF game is hugely underperforming and the way Yoshi-P talked about reaching to the GTAV/CoD crowd in interviews before launch, it's hard to consider this anything but a commercial disappointment. And recent interviews with Yoshi-P also seems to indicate that SE isn't really willing to continue down this path. Like Lakeof9 said, we live in a period where many older Japanese IPs are growing and finding new audiences. The same isn't happening to FF.

I will once again stress that the question in the QA was regarding SE's entire corporate performance and not just FF16. Even then, SE has an interest to preserve face in front of shareholders. Do you hear MS saying Starfield underperformed? Even though we know by near every measurable metric that it did.

Starfield being on PC more than compensate for the XBS userbase. And again, it being on a subscription service doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things as the majority of the market doesn't even have a subscription.

I actually think both Starfield and FF16 did well. The ranking in the European charts is unit sales and not revenue, unlike the US charts. So if they were both ranked based on revenue, they would have placed higher on the charts. Don't let the 32 placement mislead you.

And with regards to your last comment, Square-Enix isn't a company to shy away from calling a game a disappointment if the game underperformed. The biggest example is Tomb Rider if I remember correctly. If FF was not preforming well, they would flat out said it. MS on the other hand.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom