• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DVI-HDCP connection question (DVD to HDTV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
im pretty much new to tvs and dvds.. so please be gentle.

i have a PANASONIC PT-60LC13, which has a DVI with HDCP Connectivity connector..

http://buyriteelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PT60LC13

so i bought a Samsung DVD-HD841.. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001H4BMU/002-7761455-3040825?v=glance

which has a DVI digital-video output ..

unfortunately, when i connect them, i get snow. according to the dvd manual, if i see snow then my TV is not HDVP compatible.. but it is compatible.. what gives..

is my tv busted? dvd? or do i need a separate decoder?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Dunno. Look in the TV's manual and confirm that it isn't compliant, then go get some component cables and run progressive DVD playback through that.

fausty

Incredibly stupid questions, but:

-Did you buy the correct DVI cable? (there are 3 different types, i think, plus two speeds)

-Is there anything in the DVD player setup menu to "activate" DVI output?

-Is there anything in the TV setup menu to "activate" the DVI input?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I find it odd that an attempted digital connection would result in 'snow'. I think this is more a user error issue than anything.

Snow = analog

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
fausty said:
-Is there anything in the DVD player setup menu to "activate" DVI output?

bingo! this was it.. the problem was that when i activated it in the dvd player, i didnt realize that i only had ten seconds to confirm it when i switched the tv to DVI .. i was going to slow . :/

thanks for helping me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom