• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HD-DVD Official Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Added Paramount's titles and Poseidon from Warner. I wonder when something will be released next from Warner. They may give Paramount a few days of breathing room with their release and go with their usual late Thursday announcement for upcoming titles (so far nothing set for July 18th).

Currently Available
16 Blocks (Warner) <- COMBO
Apollo 13 (Universal)
Assault on Precinct 13 (Universal)
Best of Get Out! Vol. 1 (HDNet)
Best of Get Out! Vol. 2 (HDNet)
Best of HDNet World Report Vol. 1 (HDNet)
Best of HDNet World Report Vol. 2 (HDNet)
Blazing Saddles (Warner)
Bourne Supremacy (Universal)
Cinderella Man (Universal)
Chronicles of Riddick (Universal)
Constantine (Warner)
Doom (Universal)
Firewall (Warner) <- COMBO
The Fugitive (Warner)
Full Metal Jacket (Warner)
Goodfellas (Warner)
Guitarscape Planet (Concert Hot Spot)
Happy Gilmore (Universal)
Jarhead (Universal)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Warner) <- COMBO
Last Samurai (Warner)
Lethal Weapon (Warner)
Million Dollar Baby (Warner)
Perfect Storm (Warner)
Phantom of the Opera (Warner)
Rumor Has It (Warner) <- COMBO
Rundown (Universal)
Serenity (Universal)
Swordfish (Warner)
Syriana (Warner)
Training Day (Warner)
U-571 (Universal)
Unforgiven (Warner)
Van Helsing (Universal)
View From Space With Heavenly Music (Concert Hot Spot)

7/11
Classical Touch: Beethoven - Famous Symphonies (Brentwood)
Classical Touch: Chopin - Nocturnes Romantic Piano (Brentwood)
Classical Touch: Mozart - Symphonies Operas (Brentwood)
Classical Touch: Tchaikovsky - Sleeping Beauty (Brentwood)
Dukes of Hazzard (Warner)
Enter the Dragon (Warner)
Friday Night Lights (Universal)
Pitch Black (Universal)

7/25
Sahara (Paramount)
Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow (Paramount)
Sleepy Hollow (Paramount)
Tomb Raider (Paramount)

8/1
Four Brothers (Paramount)
The Manchurian Canidate (Paramount)
We Were Soldiers (Paramount)

8/8
Aeon Flux (Paramount)
Italian Job (Paramount)
U2 Rattle and Hum (Paramount)

8/15
Animal House (Universal) <- COMBO
Ray (Universal)
Unleashed (Universal) <- COMBO

8/22
Bone Collector (Universal)
Interpreter (Universal)
Poseidon (Warner)
Spy Game (Universal)

8/29
That’s the Way of the World (BCI)

9/12
Galaxina (BCI)
Golgo 13 (BCI)
Red Dragon (Universal)
Seabiscuit (Universal)
Traffic (Universal)

9/19
Backdraft (Universal)

9/26
Dazed and Confused (Universal) <- COMBO
End of Days (Universal)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Universal)
Land of the Dead, George A. Romero's (Universal) <- COMBO

10/10
Army of Darkness (Universal) <- COMBO
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Universal) <- COMBO

Pricing:

Universal - 34.99 List*
Warner - 28.99 Catalog, 34.99 New Release, 39.99 COMBO New Release
Paramount - 29.98 List
Concert Hot Spot - 29.98 List
BCI - 24.98 List
Brentwood - 6.98 List
HDNet - 14.95 List (only available on hd.net)

*starting August 8th, Universal will switch to the following price scheme: 29.99 Catalog, 34.99 COMBO Catalog

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Any word on "V for Vendetta" or if 20th Century Fox will support HD DVD? Out of curiousity, why don't more movie publishers release the movies on both HD DVD and Blu Ray? Isn't the main difference between the two formats (aside from storage capacity) the compression technique used? If that's the case, once a movie is mastered in high definition wouldn't most of the work already be done?

MadOdorMachine said:
Any word on "V for Vendetta" or if 20th Century Fox will support HD DVD? Out of curiousity, why don't more movie publishers release the movies on both HD DVD and Blu Ray? Isn't the main difference between the two formats (aside from storage capacity) the compression technique used? If that's the case, once a movie is mastered in high definition wouldn't most of the work already be done?

Here's a question I'd like to know. How much do the movie studios have to pay to sell their movies on each format (via licensing fees)?

MadOdorMachine said:

V For Vendetta is rumored to be a day and date release with the DVD version, so August 1st, IIRC.

As for Fox... They went with BD because they demanded BD+ encryption. But hey, they could easily change their minds when they see the money on the table, that is, HD DVD studios will be making money and Fox will be missing out on that potential revenue increase. And since Fox now controls MGM's distribution and not Sony, it would be a huge gain. There are strong rumors that a major Blu-ray only studio is going to announce HD DVD support, though my money is on Lion's Gate for that one.

Alcibiades

yeah, there are rumors that an unannounced studio is planning to support HD DVD (and had their titles authored even before their Blu-Ray) and rumors have been either Lion's Gate or MGM, but maybe it's just crap at this point... MGM would make some sense if it weren't for Fox supporting Blu-Ray (Fox is now going to distribute MGM's home videos), Lion's Gate would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that they are the only studio with titles out other than Sony/MGM, and Disney would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that the Buena Vista Home Entertainment President has been talking up Blu-Ray for quite a while (even after the comments from Disney's head that they will probably publish in both formats).

the way I see it, expect no major studios other than Paramount, Warner and friends, and Universal to release... not that it wouldn't be welcome, but I don't see it happening...

if for some reason HD DVD collapses tomorrow and Sony delivers those 6 million PS3's, the studios remaining with Blu-Ray will have gained nothing by announcing support of both formats right now... if things even out and HD DVD sales are successful enough to warrant release for that format too, then it would be better for them to wait it out so they don't lose anything they may have gained by signing on early with Sony

the best hope for releases outside of that is independents, which seem to want to take advantage of the limited availability of major titles... I'd sooner expect an announcement from Image or Genius Sorority (Weinstein's video distributor) than any other...

Great news! I just saved a bunch of money on my c... No, wait.
ha, I didn't get it the first time I read this, then read back up and got it, lol

Alcibiades

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060711/latu007.html?.v=60

LAS VEGAS, July 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video, Paramount Home Entertainment, HP, Intel, Microsoft and Toshiba today announced the formation of a new trade organization, the North American HD DVD Promotional Group, Inc., at the Video Software Dealers Association 2006 conference. The non-profit group will promote the companies' common interests in the success of HD DVD and to educate consumers on the quality and value of HD DVD.

A new advertising and marketing campaign, also unveiled today, showcases HD DVD as "The Look and Sound of Perfect(TM)". The campaign will be the cornerstone of efforts to be undertaken by the group. The group and its member companies plan to back the campaign with an anticipated $150M in trade and consumer marketing, advertising and promotion through the 2006 Holiday season and into 2007. The campaign will promote the format across all major consumer media outlets -- television, print, online, and outdoor -- co-marketing HD DVD hardware with hundreds of HD DVD titles expected on store shelves by year-end 2006.

"Following this spring's market introduction, we're now adding advertising and marketing muscle to HD DVD to demonstrate our full commitment to bring consumers the best in high definition entertainment," said Craig Kornblau, President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. "Surveys are showing that HD DVD is already the #1 recognized brand name for high definition packaged media. In addition, the continued support from Hollywood, CE and IT industries will make HD DVD a true win for consumers this Holiday season."

In the shadow of a huge 18-wheeler called the HD DVD Mobile Experience, the group also announced a nationwide publicity campaign that will hit the road this summer. The HD DVD Mobile Experience will be equipped with the latest in high definition home theater technology, PCs, laptops and the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system, enabling audiences throughout the country to experience first-hand "The Look and Sound of Perfect".

"I welcome the formation of the North American HD DVD Promotional Group," said Yoshihide Fujii, Chairman of the HD DVD Promotion Group. "More and more consumers are buying large-screen high definition TVs, and their expectations for better, more realistic picture quality is increasing. The wide-ranging activities of the new group will take HD DVD into the homes of people across North America, and make it crystal clear that HD DVD is the future in movies, home entertainment, computing and gaming."

The award-winning advertising agency Goodby, Silverstein & Partners will work for the North American HD DVD Promotional Group, Inc. in planning and executing its marketing campaign. The agency, based in San Francisco, is widely recognized for its "Got Milk?" campaign, and as one of the world's leading advertising and marketing communications agencies, has a long tradition of offering integrated services and creative campaigns for clients such as HP, Saturn, Comcast, Motorola, Netflix, and Starbucks.

About HD DVD

The DVD Forum develops and defines DVD formats. Its more than 200 strong membership brings together leaders in movies and entertainment, computing, consumer electronics and software. In November 2003, the DVD Forum adopted the HD DVD format as the next-generation, post-DVD standard for high capacity, high definition optical discs.

The North American HD DVD Promotional Group, Inc. is an organization established to promote the HD DVD format and educate consumers in North America.

For more information and a complete listing of HD DVD launch titles please visit http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com.

I can't wait for New Line to announce titles. Although I doubt it would be among them, in early 2005 they announced Spawn would be one of their release titles (for late 2005, before all that fell through). I don't think it's been on any lists since, but hopefully like some titles with Warner, they've worked or are working on titles that don't get announced until a week or two before release (sort of like Fugitive and Enter the Dragon coming out of nowhere)...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
so what's the aspect ratio of that Full Metal Jacket release?

Alcibiades

levious said:
so what's the aspect ratio of that Full Metal Jacket release?
1.78:1 Widescreen

be warned, this is supposed to be the worst-looking HD DVD title to date (of course, still better than the DVD, but that's expected...)

sharukins

Banned
Alcibiades said:
http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060711/latu007.html?.v=60

I can't wait for New Line to announce titles. Although I doubt it would be among them, in early 2005 they announced Spawn would be one of their release titles (for late 2005, before all that fell through). I don't think it's been on any lists since, but hopefully like some titles with Warner, they've worked or are working on titles that don't get announced until a week or two before release (sort of like Fugitive and Enter the Dragon coming out of nowhere)...

looks like HD DVD group is uping the ante

150$ ad campaign is alot

levious

Alcibiades said:
1.78:1 Widescreen

be warned, this is supposed to be the worst-looking HD DVD title to date (of course, still better than the DVD, but that's expected...)

I was wondering if it's just a cropped version. Wasn't there some big to do about getting widescreen versions of most of Kubrick's movies? Especially this one?

levious said:
I was wondering if it's just a cropped version. Wasn't there some big to do about getting widescreen versions of most of Kubrick's movies? Especially this one?

Kubrick shot most of his movies open matte, on a 1.33:1 frame. When they were shown theatrically, they had to be matted to 1.85:1 because of lack of provisions for 1.33:1 material (especially by the time FMJ was released). Kubrick, for some reason, didn't want widescreen bars on the home video releases of his movies, so he insisted on transferring them open matte, even though the films themselves were composed with the 1.85:1 aspect ratio in mind - the infamous helicopter shadow in the beginning sequence of The Shining is an example of this. When matted to 1.85:1, you can't see the shadow. On the last go around on DVD, the Kubrick estate remained firm in repsecting his wishes for open matte transfers, so I don't know what transpired in the meantime to allow WB to make the HD DVD 1.78:1, which is extremely close to 1.85:1; just a few lines of resolution difference. I think we'll be seeing a lot, if not most, 1.85:1 transfers opened up slightly to 1.78:1 on these new HD formats.

levious

maybe WB only had a legal obligation to honor their wishes on the DVD format. That's interesting though, thanks.

Alcibiades

Microsoft is gonna split their digital media division into 2: one for Windows, one for other devices (like handhelds and consumer electronics).

The new head of the division made some points about why they are doing it and why as a software company, they have potential in areas other than computers now:

Although Microsoft is busy gearing up for the launch of Vista, the latest overhaul of its core Windows product, next year, the company is increasingly targeting home entertainment applications as a key growth area.

“If you look at the consumer electronics business today, it’s really becoming the software business,” Majidimehr said. “These boxes have a lot of software in them, and traditional consumer electronics companies haven’t really made the investment in software development. That’s why Sony is having trouble competing with the iPod, because it’s not a software company and doesn’t have the knowledge base to create a seamless system the way Apple did. That’s where we think we can help the electronics companies.”

Majidimehr also cited problems with the first generation Toshiba HD DVD players as an example of poor software engineering.

“Those players are based on Linux, so I’m obviously biased. But Linux is a really big OS, and it’s not that easy to optimize for consumer electronics,” he said. “That’s why it takes a long time to boot up. There’s a lot of big software programs in there that have to be loaded for the player to operate, and that takes time.”
Majidimehr reiterated Microsoft’s commitment to release an HD DVD add-on drive for the Xbox before the end of the year but would not disclose exact timing or pricing.

Alcibiades

from CED newsletter:

Image Entertainment set an early 2007 debut for its first HD DVD and Blu-ray titles, starting with an offering of 184 episodes of TV series The Twilight Zone in both formats, CEO Martin Greenwald told us. Image, doing R&D as it builds HD DVD and Blu-ray line-ups, expects to have about 1,000 titles available for next-generation DVD, Greenwald told us. Image's DVD library exceeds 3,000 titles.

With next- generation DVD development costs so high, Image is refraining from releasing titles until costs fall, Greenwald said.
well, for HD DVD owners, even if it's an independent, at least we know another company is on board and they'll content.

I definitely see myself going for this collection if it's released all at once (as seems to be the case). My dad owned a volume of some Twilight Zone on laserdisc, but that the extent of what we own. I saw some episodes on TV but never bought the DVD's (were they released as seasons or one set?)

Either way, it's good news for both camps.

Alcibiades

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=00183

will debut at the same time as the DVD on July 18th. It will be a COMBO disc (includes both HD DVD version and DVD version on a single disc) and cost $39.99 MSRP.

it sucks, but I guess that's all there will be for this coming Tuesday. This sort of ups the chances we'll see a day-and-date release for V for Vendetta though... I really hope they release that COMBO though, as those are my prioirty purchases for now (just ordered Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Land of the Dead, and Dazed and Confused earlier today, all COMBO discs). I'm thinking about getting a Netflix subscription so I could have a selection of everything for whatever it is a month (3 at a time I think depending on contract). 2nd priority for me will be those with IME features. Of course, they have to be movies I like or seem to be well-regarded (which is why I didn't even consider some like 16 Blocks or Firewall). I'll probably get Pitch Black and Riddick though when Universal drops prices in August. I like sci-fi and enjoyed Riddick, so even without being COMBO or having new features, I'll consider it a good buy.

Nikashi

Banned
Alcibiades said:
I started finally watching HD content with TV Azteca in Nuevo Laredo (World Cup, a few nature/exploration shows, endless repeats of "Finding Forrester" in Spanish)

Please tell me what the spanish translations for 'You're the man now dog" and "Punch the keys for god's sake" are.

Alcibiades

Nikashi said:
Please tell me what the spanish translations for 'You're the man now dog" and "Punch the keys for god's sake" are.
I don't remember if I tried to change the language or not, but you know it might have just not occurred to me, or if I did I didn't succeed.

I'll definitely make it a priority to try better next time...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Late to the party, but I finally had the chance to view both BR and HDDVD in person recently.

Very impressive looking, from what I can gather, but unfortunately, both were being displayed on some giant Samsung 1080p DLP or something. The large screen size made it almost impossible to get an even view of anything. I detest projection sets. >_< From what I could make out, the image quality was excellent in both cases, but really, it's something I'm going to have to see on a direct view before I can truly judge.

How many HDDVD players are on the market thus far and what is the average price? What about BR players? Any available?

Alcibiades

Technically, there are 4 HD DVD players available, and they are all pretty much the same thing on the inside:

Toshiba HD-A1 $499
Toshiba HD XA1 $799
Toshiba HD-D1 $499
RCA HDV-5000 $499

the reason for the different models has more to do with the distribution scene and contracts than anything meaningful... for example, the RCA is to get another name out there and to serve more "budget" markets, and the HD-D1 is to provide Wal-Mart their own "budget" player... doesn't make much sense considering they cost the same as the HD-A1, but whatever...

There is also 1 Blu-Ray player out right now:

Samsung BD-P1000 $999

Toshiba's latest QOSMIO has an option for an HD DVD reader drive, and Sony's latest VAIO has a Blu-Ray recorder option as well...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Bud said:
does anyone beside alcibiades care about hd-dvd?
While I'd prefer to see Blu-Ray win the format battle, my primary interest is to see an HD movie format finally take hold. As such, I care about HD-DVD - if it wins the format battle, so be it.

I'm holding off until the end of year at least, just to see more options on the market from both sides and see how the libraries are developing.

Alcibiades

I'm ready to care about Blu-Ray (not that I don't already) too if it "wins" this format war, but HD DVD will at least tide me over and give me content NOW at what I figure is a reasonable cost (relatively speaking).

Panasonic and Samsung are some of my favorite brands, and if other studios don't both their Blu-Ray releases like Sony and Lion's Gate, I can see myself getting a dual-player or Panasonic or Samsung Blu-Ray player next year if they've gone down in price (to about $300 or so).

Alcibiades

from the digitalbits.com

While we're talking high-def, you should know that Warner is about to officially announce the HD-DVD/Combo format release of Good Night, and Good Luck. We don't have the exact street date and price yet, but we expect that shortly. In the meantime, the studio has confirmed that both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc versions of the film will include the same extras that were on the DVD release, specifically audio commentary with writer/director George Clooney and writer/producer Grant Heslov, the Good Night, and Good Luck Companion Piece featurette and the film's theatrical trailer. Both high-def versions will also include 1080p video and English Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio. We expect the video will be MPEG-2 on the Blu-ray Disc and VC1 on the HD-DVD, but we'll have to confirm that to be sure.

This is excellent news. I haven't bought this yet and at least it'll be a worthwhile COMBO to add. I fear that the extra $5 or so that studios are charging for COMBO's is turning too many people off and that they won't support them in the future though... that said, I'll take what I can get now. Using the $10 off google coupon I ordered ATL from cduniverse.com and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is on order from amazon.com. It's too bad Firewall and 16 Blocks look like generic action hero stuff or I'd consider them as well.

My opinion of Combos will go way up once they start using the 30/9 discs. And hopefully the cost of manufacturing will go down eventually and they can lower the prices to levels equal with the non-combo discs. Those two things are what's really hurting them.

AlanHemberger said:
I think I'm going to buy a player next month. Does anyone know how the transfer is on Goodfellas?? I love that movie

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/goodfellas.html

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture

My first and only experience seeing 'GoodFellas' was on DVD way back in the late '90s, when Warner Home Video first released the film as an antiquated "flipper" disc. The transfer was quite poor, marred by heavy grain, an overly dark appearance and muddy colors. Granted, it was probably better than crappy VHS tape, but it was far from a shining example of the DVD format.

So I wasn't sure if I should expect much from HD-DVD. It certainly seemed, on the surface, to be a strange choice to show off the new high-def next-gen format. But boy, is this new disc a near-revelation. Though the master utilized here is the same as that used for the 2003 standard DVD re-issue of the film, this is an incredibly impressive visual presentation, and I doubt the film has ever looked better.

Encoded in 1080p and framed at 1.78:1 widescreen (slightly opened up from the 1.85:1 aspect ratio of the film's theatrical presentation), I was really surprised at how wonderfully film-like 'GoodFellas' looks. The image is incredibly stable, with little film grain even in the darkest scenes, and wonderfully smooth colors and fleshtones. Scorsese sometimes employs a slight filter effect, which gives some scenes a slightly reddish tinge, but it appears natural and clean throughout.

I was also impressed with the sense of depth and clarity to the transfer -- 'GoodFellas' looks like a new movie throughout, not over fifteen years old. Detail is top-notch, with subtle skin and fabric textures apparent, and a real sense of three-dimensionality to the picture. Blacks are rich and deep, with contrast excellent. I never would have guessed as much, but 'GoodFellas' may be one of Warner's finest HD-DVD efforts yet.

Alcibiades

Son of Godzilla said:
Why do combo discs even exist?
supposedly to ease transition from DVD to HD DVD and consumers wanted them according to research by the studios...

that said, the reason I want them is so that I can basically try to have a single library that works anywhere... my suitemate came in the other day asking to borrow a movie to watch with his brother, and all I could offer him was the few that I have to keep and a bunch I happen to have because I'm selling them online...

with a COMBO disc, I could have lend him that, but in addition, my family could use the DVD anywhere in the house when I'm back home, and I could take it anywhere as well without worrying about someone having an HD DVD player... it's about convenience and value (they add $5 to the cost of a regular HD DVD)...

temp

posting on contract only
I know this is an HD-DVD thread, but has anything been said about the old Bond movies being released on Blu-Ray?

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
temp said:
I know this is an HD-DVD thread, but has anything been said about the old Bond movies being released on Blu-Ray?
no announcements plus MGM library is now controlled by FOX.

Bond box set for regular DVD has been announced for this year using Lowry restored versions. They've said they want to be "careful" about rereleasing these to customers (duh!).

I'd expect to see Casino Royale as the first HDTV bond (both or just blu format is anyone's guess?) with the rest to trickle in as the market grows. They'd really need BD-50 discs for the bonds unless they used VC-1 given their 2+ hour time and current extras/commentaries (most of these bonds have 2-3 commentary tracks alone).

Best 007s today are caps from VoomHD in 1280x1080i.

Alcibiades

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/sleepyhollow1999.html

it got good marks, but not as tantalizing as the best HD movies out there:

Indeed, this is not "picture perfect" source material. 'Sleepy Hollow' is a very grainy film, with some shots covered in a thin veneer of jumping, alive movement. Just check out the opening credits -- the film has been so drained of color as to almost be black and white, contrast has been flattened, and dark areas fall off into black steeply. (All that fog doesn't help, either.) It looks very moody and atmospheric, but also rather dirty and gritty. Personally, I enjoyed the retro feel, but have to admit that it does not lend itself to the kind of truly three-dimensional picture that immediately springs to mind when you think of high-def.

Unfortunately, 'Sleepy Hollow' is not as enveloping in its sound design as I had hoped. It really is quite front heavy, with the majority of sounds emanate from the from three speakers only. The rears are mostly employed for bleed and a few discrete effects, but nothing all that pronounced. The score is also largely confined to the front soundstage. Imaging, when it does come into play for pans between channels, is fairly seamless. Technically, 'Sleepy Hollow' sounds just fine, but it could have been livelier had Paramount actually created a new mix specifically for the HD DVD.

Thankfully, Paramount has not chintzed out with its first HD DVD releases and is including plenty of extras on all their launch titles. Taking a quick look at their first three waves of discs (Paramount was kind enough to send them all at the same time), all appear to have the exact same supplements as their standard DVD counterparts. Very cool.

I had a bit more fun watching 'Sleepy Hollow' again on HD DVD than I originally did in the theater. I don't think it is Tim Burton's best film, but it is moody and gory and never less than entertaining. This HD DVD may be a tad disappointing to some, if only because the source material does not have the crystal clear look of today's computer-perfected big-budget action movies. But we get a very nice transfer here given the film's intended visual style, and Paramount is including plenty of extras on all of their HD DVD releases. So a good first showing, I say.

At least we have 100% confirmation that they're including extras... they'd be quite isolated if they were to present crippled releases compared to Warner and Universal... now I wonder when they are gonna start issuing either PiP-commentary or hybrids

temp

posting on contract only
chinch said:
no announcements plus MGM library is now controlled by FOX.

Bond box set for regular DVD has been announced for this year using Lowry restored versions. They've said they want to be "careful" about rereleasing these to customers (duh!).

I'd expect to see Casino Royale as the first HDTV bond (both or just blu format is anyone's guess?) with the rest to trickle in as the market grows. They'd really need BD-50 discs for the bonds unless they used VC-1 given their 2+ hour time and current extras/commentaries (most of these bonds have 2-3 commentary tracks alone).

Best 007s today are caps from VoomHD in 1280x1080i.
Oh yeah, I forgot Sony doesn't have the rights to the back catalog. Anyway, thanks.

Alcibiades

from recent studio talk:

-tens of thousands of players have been sold
-35-50 more titles from Warner by the end of the year
-60 total titles from Universal by the end of the year
-up to 10 more titles from Paramount by the end of the year, including MI:3
-New Line will wait until 2007 and start with day-and-date new releases, and slowy trickle out catalog (including Blade and Seven)

this is from a CE newsletter:

UNIVERSAL CITY, Cal. -- Superlatives flowed from HD DVD's backers about the format's sales performance thus far at the DVD Forum's N. American DVD Conference here Mon. Those singing HD DVD's praises included studios Warner Home Video (WHV) and Paramount -- both of which also back Blu-ray -- but nary a word about Blu-ray was mentioned at the conference, because HD DVD is the DVD Forum's official format.

Steve Nickerson, WHV senior vp, said "tens of thousands" of HD DVD players have been sold to date, and that foretells a "vibrant" Q4 for the format. As many HD DVD devices will be sold this year as standard DVD players were sold at the end of its 1997 launch year, Nickerson said. That's because PC and Xbox 360 drives for HD DVD are being marketed this year, while PC and videogame configurations for DVD didn't exist for a few years into the format's launch, Nickerson said. HD DVD software "tie" rates are about on par with DVD's at the same point in that format's life, but could reach 30:1 this year, Nickerson said.

Jodi Sally, Toshiba vp-digital AV mktg., confirmed her company has sold tens of thousands of HD DVD decks, but she wouldn't provide more specific data. Toshiba's $499 player is outselling its $799 model by a 5-1 margin, but that's mainly a factor of the step-up model's more limited distribution, rather than a fivefold preference for the $499 deck, Sally said. Responding to our question whether Toshiba plans 2nd-generation HD DVD players this year, Sally said her company wouldn't use the DVD Forum conference for a product announcement. Toshiba has scheduled a Sept. 14 news conference during the CEDIA Expo in Denver.

Four HD DVD studios appeared on a panel to ballpark their Q4 release plans. WHV has 21 titles now and plans 35- 50 more by year-end, Nickerson said. He said WHV will have a mix of catalog, new movies, day-and-date releases of HD DVD and standard DVD and combo discs providing HD DVD on one side, standard DVD on the other. WHV is planning for as many day-and-date releases as possible, he said. At Universal, 60 HD DVD titles are expected by year-end, said Exec. Vp Ken Graffeo. Some will be day-and-date with standard DVD, others will be on combo discs, he said. HD DVD release of King Kong will be among Universal's key stories this Q4, he said, but he wouldn't give a specific street date.

Paramount has 10 HD DVD titles at present and sees its slate doubling by year-end, said Alex Carloss, vp-worldwide mktg. for entertainment. Some titles will be day-and-date, he said. HD DVD volumes will grow "significantly" next year, and Paramount is studying the combo disc championed thus far by WHV and Universal, he said. New Line is still studying an HD DVD launch and hasn't jumped into the market yet because it doesn't have the depth of titles of other studios, said Matthew Lasorsa, exec. vp-mktg. New Line will wait for more hardware availability in the market before launching titles, but possibly may bow product early 2007, he said. -- Stephen A. Booth

-also, Waist Deep (Universal/Focus Features) has been announced for October 10th on HD DVD/DVD combo hybrid...

*I finally saw Bourne Supremacy tonight. Good movie, and great picture quality. That said, I'd rank it as the lowest in PQ so far: Training Day > Last Samurai > Constantine > Kiss Kiss Bang Bang > Bourne Supremacy... I ordered Sahara and am still waiting on ATL, but I got Sleepy Hollow on Saturday, will probably watch that tomorrow.

Alcibiades

looks like they might be readying releases, hopefully they'll be out soon, as I'm looking foward to Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, and maybe The War Within:

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-covers.php?format=hddvd

3282.jpg

If independents can release a good 25, and it's looking like they'll do more than that right now, or so by the end of the year (HDNet, Magnolia, BCI, Concert Hot Spot), then HD DVD has a chance to hit 200 titles with the 3 major studios + Weinstein.

I'm going to pick up my HD DVD player tomorrow. I was going to wait for the 360 add on, but I just can't. have any firmware updates been released?

Alcibiades

1.2 (1.3 for some players) and 1.4 Firmware have been released.

2.0 is rumored to be happening soon, and on top of that there are indications in some forums and sites that it may enable Dolby TrueHD 5.1, pretty much the best kind of audio that's gonna be available for a while on HD DVD (until studios do 7.1, but I doubt they will anytime soon).

hellfire

Alcibiades said:
*I finally saw Bourne Supremacy tonight. Good movie, and great picture quality. That said, I'd rank it as the lowest in PQ so far: Training Day > Last Samurai > Constantine > Kiss Kiss Bang Bang > Bourne Supremacy... I ordered Sahara and am still waiting on ATL, but I got Sleepy Hollow on Saturday, will probably watch that tomorrow.

i'd put chronicles of riddick at best PQ, above of all of those movies.

sahara looked really good though. thought it was funny that paramount copied the menu system from warner, but took the 'main menu' approach of universal (ie movie doesn't start immediately).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom