• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dwarf Fortress hits 800k copies sold, generating over 1 million wishlists on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
dwarf-fortress-800k-sales.jpg

Source
Tarn and Zach Adams told PC Gamer that Dwarf Fortress has surpassed 800k copies sold in just over a year since its paid release on Steam in December 2022.

The game sold over 160k units in its first 24 hours, significantly exceeding publisher Kitfox Games’ expectations. It surpassed the 300k mark in just six days and reached 500k copies sold by the end of 2022.

In January 2023 alone, Dwarf Fortress generated over $7 million in revenue, turning the Adams brothers into millionaires. Although a portion of this money went on taxes and salaries for new team members, it was enough to solve the “main issues of health/retirement that are troubling for independent people, as well as safeguarded the future of the game well enough.”

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Anyone able to reproduce something similar with a more user-friendly interface and better production value would probably swim in money and become a viral phenomenon on Steam.
Rimworld? It sure seems to have made a nice sum of money.

Denton

AAA industry should study this game.
The game has been in development for 22 years. It is not particularly practical for AAA studios with huge burnrates and overheads to spend that long on development. But yes, lot of the design in DF is extremely detailed and impressive.

foamdino

Good for them. I'm pretty sure the AAA developer community does indeed study dwarf fortress. Publishers and execs though not so much

Top Bottom