• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DX11 Improvements for Intel Arc GPUs and New Gaming Performance Tool

Intel Arc Graphics are getting some new upgrades, and we’re excited to share them with you. We've re-architected the DX11 driver so that you can experience better performance and smoother gameplay across some of your favorite games.
Learn about a new performance metric called "GPU Busy". GPU Busy enables gamers to see the rendering time vs. idle time of the GPU during gameplay. Check out the beta release of Intel PresentMon, a new open-source tool for measuring and analyzing gaming performance in real-time.

image.png

image.png

image.png

More at: https://game.intel.com/story/intel-arc-graphics-dx11-intel-presentmon-beta/

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Very good news, IIRC that was their only major weakness, aside from other misc. driver issues that I'm sure have been getting ironed out over time.
Everything pre-DX12 was their weakness.
It was forward thinking, but forgot that alot of gamers are actually playing pre-DX12 games.
Battlemage is gonna be amazing and with the RTX50s being delayed theres a strong chance the B770 will be RTX4070 levels of performance, maybe even higher.

P3kJWVr.png

4Xq7HKr.png

Soodanim

This is hardly a new viewpoint, but I applaud any competition improving. Unfortunately, I have doubts that this will lead to competitive pricing any time soon so we're left with just the living in hope part

Black_Stride

This is pretty good...

Now release a language to comete with cuda your cowards.
If they do that they cards will sell like hot cakes.

tool-thumbnail-beta-oneapi-logo.jpg

oneapi-architecture.png

image-1587626870895-cb5c83f7721cab17c930f1f72dea1c45.png

This is hardly a new viewpoint, but I applaud any competition improving. Unfortunately, I have doubts that this will lead to competitive pricing any time soon so we're left with just the living in hope part
Intels Arc GPUs are definition of competitive pricing.
Consider this the A750 8GB can be had for 200 flat, the A770 8GB can be had for 250 dollars, an A770 16GB can be had for 300.
If they stick to their pricing structure a theoretical B770 that competes with the RTX 4070 could cost somewhere around 350 dollars.
The 4070 is 600 dollars Founders pricing.

Soodanim

Consider this the A750 8GB can be had for 200 flat, the A770 8GB can be had for 250 dollars, an A770 16GB can be had for 300.
If they stick to their pricing structure a theoretical B770 that competes with the RTX 4070 could cost somewhere around 350 dollars.
Sure, but Intel are still young in the GPU game. When they really get going and become a truly viable third team in the race for the higher spec, are they going to keep being competitive or are they going to pull an AMD after 3600/Intel CPU any time ever and go straight up to the top? I think the odds are against them keeping prices low enough to take any significant hold in the mid/higher end of the market and cause enough of a disruption to have long lasting effects

Black_Stride

Sure, but Intel are still young in the GPU game. When they really get going and become a truly viable third team in the race for the higher spec, are they going to keep being competitive or are they going to pull an AMD after 3600/Intel CPU any time ever and go straight up to the top? I think the odds are against them keeping prices low enough to take any significant hold in the mid/higher end of the market and cause enough of a disruption to have long lasting effects

Intel is the oldest GPU maker among the three currently making GPUs, but okay.
Second their entire strategy for the dGPU market has always been to get the midrange, theyve expressed no desire to take on the highend enthusiast market.
Hell their strategy worked.
They are not only catching up to AMD at an alarming rate but it looks like they will straight up overtake AMD with the Celestial GPUs.

iB6icYn.png

^Yes this is counting iGPUs as well but if you are gaming on a iGPU then it counts as your gaming machine.

Soodanim

Intel is the oldest GPU maker among the three currently making GPUs, but okay.
Second their entire strategy for the dGPU market has always been to get the midrange, theyve expressed no desire to take on the highend enthusiast market.
Hell their strategy worked.
They are not only catching up to AMD at an alarming rate but it looks like they will straight up overtake AMD with the Celestial GPUs.

iB6icYn.png

^Yes this is counting iGPUs as well but if you are gaming on a iGPU then it counts as your gaming machine.
In a thread about Arc GPUs, you know full well I'm not talking about shitty onboards. Completely different market.

I didn't know they have no desire to go higher end, but even so they have the potential to really shake up the lower end if they don't have glaring flaws. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Would love to make my next upgrade (on 4070 currently) an Intel GPU - please get the mid-range market nailed down. We need it!

Black_Stride

In a thread about Arc GPUs, you know full well I'm not talking about shitty onboards. Completely different market.

I didn't know they have no desire to go higher end, but even so they have the potential to really shake up the lower end if they don't have glaring flaws. Only time will tell.
All GPUs that use Xe-Cores are Arc GPUs.
Its a separate die and benefits from this driver update.

intel-tiger-lake-core-iris-xe-max-logo-100864467-orig.jpg

Not that it matters in the grand scheme, ill bite and separate dGPU and iGPUs:

1669311521819-png.271534

Look at AMDs Market share........Intel will be on their ass in no time.

Last edited:

Soodanim

All GPUs that use Xe-Cores are Arc GPUs.
Not that it matters in the grand scheme cuz iGPUs dont make enough of a dent to matter.
But ill bite and separate dGPU and iGPUs:

1669311521819-png.271534

Look at AMDs Market share........Intel will be on their ass in no time.
You can tell how little I follow the GPU market when I'm not actively shopping for one.

I'm surprised that AMD's market share is so low, I would have expected something more like 75:25 with Intel's dGPUs snipping a small 1-2%

tool-thumbnail-beta-oneapi-logo.jpg

oneapi-architecture.png

image-1587626870895-cb5c83f7721cab17c930f1f72dea1c45.png

Too general(made for gpus and cpus) has inferior performance and needs to step up on tools build on top of it that's where cuda leads by a large margin....

Cuda.webp

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It really does feel like Nvidia has an insurmountable lead. Hope I'm wrong cause we need some real competition in the PC GPU space.
It's got the cheap prices and native Linux support of AMD while also having the technical prowess, AI and software that Nvidia has

The issue is that the people making these GPUs are still Intel. We can't trust them for shit considering they created a massive period of stagnation in the CPU market. They're less shitty than Nvidia but you can trust them about as far as you can throw them

They could easily usurp AMD and even make Nvidia sweat, but the issue is IF they will or if they'll just rest on their laurels and get lazy once they get a decent marketshare... or worse, collude with the other 2 and essentially reset us back to square one where GPUs are absurdly expensive with minimal gains over the previous generation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom