• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Sony Conference Thread

soldat7

fortified_concept said:
Conference-wise (how good the conferences looked)

Microsoft B
Sony B+
Nintendo C+

Games-wise (Quantity/quality of the games that were shown):

Microsoft B-
Sony A
Nintendo D

Really? Really?

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Actually, victory was claimed after Crackdown 2.

See, the difference between MS'and conference and Sony's was that MS'had more stuff we DIDN'T already know about, and HADN'T already seen.

Which is really the point of E3.

So realistically

1. MS
2. Nintendo
3. Sony

If you're going to go by the surprise factor.

They give a release date for God of War 3?? I need that shit STAT!!!!

I think this makes more sense, although you could make a strong case for either Sony or Nintendo at #2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kittonwy said:
They showed UNCHARTED 2!!!!222!!!
angry.gif
gameplay.
And it was an easy contender for the best gameplay of the show. More impressive than any other demo Sony has shown IMO. Last Guardian trailer doesn't count as noone was playing it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
tass0 said:
Sony won this E3. No competition.

I mean, seriously, who the fuck expected Final Fantasy 14 and Trico to come up (though I was hoping they would choose a better name than The Last Guardian)

I'm pretty sure 99% of GAF expected it to be there considering the trailer for it leaked a few weeks ago.

Rad Agast

teiresias said:
Was anything in Sony's conference getting released this year? I mean, at the end they were talking about how exciting this year was, but the only crap I remember hearing releases for all said 2010.

I can't remember but it seems that 2009 is their PSP push year. GT PSP and the new MGS are a must buy for me if they're both out this year.

On the PS3, it looks like they're counting on 3rd party support for the rest of the year which will be bad for them since the 360 has the same titles and the hardware is at a cheaper price. If they don't drop the price by September then it's QQ for Sony this Christmas season.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
PSP had a great conference, that much is clear, the line-up is immense, and I am glad to be a PSP owner right now.

PS3 had a below par conference in my view. GT5 and The Last Guardian will be shown again at E3 2010 at this rate, even GOW3 is a spring 2010 title. FF XIV looks to be a PC MMO that also has a PS3 release (And continues the trend that Squares Online studios are faster devs than the mainline FF devs), Uncharted 2 looks awesome and MAG is Battlefield 256.

So, all in all, Sony had a good conference, I will ignore the wand bullshit because not only is it yet another 2010 project at the earliest, but it is too little too late, especially with project NATAL, the market isn't big enough for 3 motion consoles, and Sonys effort is the least convincing by a long way.

I can't talk about Agent because not only was no trailer shown, but no idea of what the game is was either, so its either a 2011 release or someones being coy, and Heavy Rain still has no release date, so I expect that at E3 2010 too.

Edit: PSP Go is overpriced for what it is in my view, $250 is $50 too much.

Blader

Overall, here's how I'd rank the conferences:

Microsoft: 9/10
Sony: 8/10
Nintendo: 5/10 (would be much lower without Galaxy 2 and Metroid)

The 360 lineup looks as hot as it always does, I'm more excited than ever to be a PS3 owner, and Nintendo continues to disappoint (though not as much as they did last year).

Donos

i think the waggle leak was nothing but try to imagine if the PSP Go with Gran Tourismo and Trico didn't leake. hell Trico (ok Last Guardian) alone could have shaken the hall if nobody already had seen the old trailer 10 times.

Gary Whitta said:
I love how Super Mario Galaxy 2, Four-player classic Super Mario Bros and a new Metroid game from Team Ninja all adds up to a D. Truly we are through the looking glass here.

Dude you seem to forget that that's all for Wii though. PS3 and 360 have a bunch of exclusives but also a fuckton of multiplatform games they share. Not to mention that SMB didn't look that hot to to me begin with.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Gary Whitta said:
I love how Super Mario Galaxy 2, Four-player classic Super Mario Bros and a new Metroid game from Team Ninja all adds up to a D. Truly we are through the looking glass here.

:lol the irony!

Oh my god, for those on G4 they are showing off Heavy Rain right now. Turn it on, looks awesome. :D :D

And who cares about sells and places in the market? You already have the system, shouldn't need to worry about price drops and everything. Leave that to the people who actually make a living on how their system sells.

Rad Agast

Lord Error said:
And it was an easy contender for the best gameplay of the show. More impressive than any other demo Sony has shown IMO. Last Guardian trailer doesn't count as noone was playing it.

I would argue that the Assassin's Creed 2 demo was more impressive but that's just me. Uncharted 2 looked good any way but AC 2 had more of a wow factor to it.

fortified_concept said:
Dude you seem to forget that that all for Wii though. PS3 and 360 have a bunch of exclusives but also a fuckton of multiplatform games they share. Not to mention that SMB didn't look that hot to to me begin with.
Sounds like your problem is more with the Wii than with the games that were announced.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
2 Minutes Turkish:
Actually, victory was claimed after Crackdown 2.

See, the difference between MS'and conference and Sony's was that MS'had more stuff we DIDN'T already know about, and HADN'T already seen.

Which is really the point of E3.

So realistically

1. MS
2. Nintendo
3. Sony

If you're going to go by the surprise factor.

They give a release date for God of War 3?? I need that shit STAT!!!!
Yep we all knew Final Fantasy XIV and Agent were going to be announced... or that Kojima was producing the new MGS for psp which is the next real MGS not a spinof or that SONY had a better motion solution than both Nintendo and MS... get the fk out of here with this bs..

fortified_concept said:
Dude you seem to forget that that all for Wii though. PS3 and 360 have a bunch of exclusives but also a fuckton of multiplatform games they share. Not to mention that SMB didn't look that hot to to me begin with.
Sounds like your problem is more with the Wii than with the games that were announced.

People wanted hardcore fanservice from Nintendo and they got it in the form of TWO new Mario games, including an express follow-up to the greatest Mario game of all time AND a new Zelda game complete with developer megaton. None of which was expected. Nintendo delivered big-time.

Mirimar

Bioshock 2 was also in the montage, but I guess everyone knew about it since the teaser for it premiered on Bioshock PS3

PistolGrip said:
Yep we all knew Final Fantasy XIV and Agent were going to be announced... or that Kojima was producing the new MGS for psp which is the next real MGS not a spinof or that SONY had a better motion solution than both Nintendo and MS... get the fk out of here with this bs..

dude its 2 minute turkish of course ms is gonna win in his eyes.

Clipjoint

Microsoft by far had the best structured conference. Never got too boring, plenty of games, and star power. That said, Sony wins E3 for me. They wasted too much time on the kart track building, and the motion control presentation was LOL, but Uncharted 2, God of War 3, and Trico!!! stole the show. If the Trico trailer hadn't leaked, our collective heads would have exploded watching that.

I would say:

Sony: A-
Microsoft: B+
Nintendo: B

In the end, great E3 for hardcore gamers.

Gary Whitta said:

Sounds like you ignore what I say on purpose. Sounds like you chose to ignore that -and unless I forgot something- the only Wii exclusive for 2009 shown at the Nintendo PC was SMB.

traveler

Not Wario
PistolGrip said:

Err... dude, every single one of those things was heavily rumored with the exception of Agent. Doesn't make them non-exciting or promising, but, still, we did know an awful lot ahead of time.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
A minus- |overall to MS
B minus- |overall Sony
C minus- |overall Nintedo

Flow of the conference

A flat - MS
B minus - Sony
D- minus - Nintendo

Content demo'd

A flat Microsoft Excellent Splinter Cell showing, Great Alan Wake showing, Great Forza 3 showing, Excellent MW2 showing, Great new Features for Live showing (live party, facebook int, twitter), intriguing Natal project showing.

B flat Sony - Impressive msg psp showing, Great uncharted 2 showing, generous GoW 3 showing, Decent GT 5 showing

A minus Nintendo Great mario coop showing, decent MS2 showing, excellent new Metroid showing, good golden sun showing.

imo.

PistolGrip said:

We knew about the wand, Agent is literally just a title at this point, and the air went out of the FFXIV balloon for 90% of the fanboys at the word "online".

Don't really follow MGS closely but a PSP game seemed a reasonable guess if it hadn't already been leaked?

Basch

David H Wong said:
...says the guy who thinks Mario Galaxy 2 rates a D-.

That pretty much invalidates every opinion you'll ever have about any game ever.

Mario Galaxy 2 looks amazing, but it does not make up for the rest of the shit and embarrassment that was the Nintendo conference. Regardless, Uncharted 2 looks SO much better it's not even funny. God of War 3 and The Last Guardian sealed the deal. Can you honestly tell me how Galaxy 2 can even compare to that. I'm sorry, but you have a huge ass bias if you think Mario could even come close to those 3. However, Galaxy was enough to save it from a failing grade.

I'm just going to stop here. I feel like I'm explaining myself for no reason. It's all just going to fall on deaf ears. Whatever, I'm out. Sony barely edged out over Microsoft because they had more interesting games that have performed incredibly well in the on stage demos.

Games of the show for me goes like this:

1st: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2nd: God of War 3
3rd: Splinter Cell: Conviction
4th: Mario Galaxy 2
5th: The Last Guardian (Looks like a Studio Ghibli film <3)

Honorable Mentions: Assassin's Creed 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Project NATAL (MILO <3), FORZA 3, and Alan Wake

I probably forgot a few, but those were far and away the best presentations.

Don

I think Uncharted 2 may be game of the show for me. Wasn't expecting to be that blown away by it.

Overall i think Sony and Microsofts conference are about even. Sony had a few more games I was interested, but Microsofts conference had a lot better presentation and flowed better.

Agent was a nice surprise. Would have obviously been better if they showed footage, but it's Rockstar North so it automaticaly becomes a must buy.

Resident Evil Portable was also a nice surprise.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
PistolGrip said:
Yep we all knew Final Fantasy XIV and Agent were going to be announced... or that Kojima was producing the new MGS for psp or that SONY had a better motion solution than both Nintendo and MS... get the fk out of here with this bs..

Take your goggles off, and anyway FF XIV looks to be a PC MMO with a PS3 version, Agent is a name and nothing else and most of the games we seen are 2010 titles.

Also, if you consider the 2 titles above as the best Sony have to offer, you also have to accept that Sony have went against their previous statements that they don't buy 3rd party exclusives any more, because those seem to be exactly that.

2009 is the year of the PSP, but will PS3 survive playing 2nd fiddle until 2010?

camineet

Banned
It's been said before, and I've now said it in other threads, but this needs repeating:

The sword & shield demo is what I liked most, and actually something along the lines of what I expected Nintendo to show with a Wii MotionPlus Zelda.

traveler said:
Err... dude, every single one of those things was heavily rumored with the exception of Agent. Doesn't make them non-exciting or promising, but, still, we did know an awful lot ahead of time.

Err...dude, name any announcement that MS made that was not heavily rumored?

Blader

Gary Whitta said:

People wanted hardcore fanservice from Nintendo and they got it in the form of TWO new Mario games, including an express follow-up to the greatest Mario game of all time AND a new Zelda game complete with developer megaton. None of which was expected. Nintendo delivered big-time.

wait what?

PistolGrip said:

We did know about those games...

Top Bottom