• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Patents To Let Players Voice In-Game Characters Themselves

Flutta

Banned
Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
My initial reaction is of course "no thank you" but I can imagine various situations where playing with your online regular squad, but sometimes offline, would be kinda cool.

Not sure I actually can imagine it being something I actually want, but it's not impossible, I suppose.

More bad news for voice actors though, I suppose.

The majority of the industry must be on borrowed time.

Last edited:

Tangerine

I thought offline automatically...

Sucks they can patent this.

With ai voice recognition and responses this will probably be ubiquitous in the near future. Maybe not though maybe just in EA games now. 😕

Zathalus

With some AI this could actually be pretty good for some single player RPGs. Or with enough audio samples, anybody you want. Playing the next Mass Effect with your character being voiced by Sean Connery would be pretty cool. But I can imagine the sheer amount of legal issues that might cause.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
With some AI this could actually be pretty good for some single player RPGs. Or with enough audio samples, anybody you want. Playing the next Mass Effect with your character being voiced by Sean Connery would be pretty cool. But I can imagine the sheer amount of legal issues that might cause.

That's an interesting point, I imagine EA will ask people to agree that the voice they're providing is their own and not a set of clips called from half a dozen Bond films, The Rock and The Untouchables.

I would be certain that if EA ask for the same sample phrases that there'll definitely be people making YouTube videos with those sample phrases all set and ready for you to point your headset mic at.

I don't see how they it could be stopped it if users themselves are doing it.

It'd be interesting to see who the most faked voices would be. And how many of them are dead movie stars, and how many are YouTubers nobody on here has ever heard of. 😂

I'm nobody

It'll be 99% Disgusting northern English and chavs in fifa

"ooh ya focken bastuhd pahkee koont"

It'd be like smelling Lynx Africa and weed through your headset. Hard pass for me.
Up in Yorkshire they Bray ya for saying stuff like that lol

don't worry I ain't a chav I am a Yorkshire man I don't say hay up and breed whippets so keep ya mind away from tv shows

And don't worry I don't think of ya of southern fairy's

StueyDuck

I can see how in theory it could be cool making your character sound like you in say a Mass effect game.

That being said...

Fuck giving any sort of AI/ML program/synthesizer my voice and have it just sitting on some server somewhere where it can totally be abused

RagnarokIV

Up in Yorkshire they Bray ya for saying stuff like that lol

don't worry I ain't a chav I am a Yorkshire man I don't say hay up and breed whippets so keep ya mind away from tv shows

And don't worry I don't think of ya of southern fairy's

Read this in the voice of Finchy from The Office lol. Couldn't believe he ended up as Cid in Final Fantasy XVI - he fucken kills it. Legendary actor.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I thought offline automatically...

Sucks they can patent this.

With ai voice recognition and responses this will probably be ubiquitous in the near future. Maybe not though maybe just in EA games now. 😕
Well, this one seems like just another shitty process patent which most likely will not see the light of day.

But the good thing about shitty method/system/process patent is that you can usually circumvent them by changing just one or more steps.

As usual there's nothing news-worthy here.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It'll be 99% Disgusting northern English and chavs in fifa

"ooh ya focken bastuhd pahkee koont"

It'd be like smelling Lynx Africa and weed through your headset. Hard pass for me.
I haven't smelt Lynx Africa on a human since the early 90's :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Those northern Bastids! I wonder if they've discovered Joop yet :unsure:

:messenger_winking:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Sure, I would love to give EA proprietary access to my voice for free. 99% sure the applicable T+Cs would allow them to use it for other purposes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom