• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Shutting Down Servers for 4 More Games

Soltype

Of course it does.
You wont be able to unlock shit in OnRush even on Xbox.
The servers for the game are shutting down entirely, regardless of what platform you play on.
I always thought Xbox live used it's own servers, I remember when GameSpy went down it didn't affect Xbox games

Kusarigama

Ergo EA is paying for the online servers and we are simply paywalled by PS+ and XB live gold to access what comes default online multiplayer. Steam, epic, Google Play and apple don't charge.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Didn't know that there are lootboxes involved but why cant' it? Lootbox odds are nothing a server has to compute ... this is exactly why it feels like something that exists only because of those abandoned Xbone plans.
And yes I blame MS for any unecessary online direction games have gone since it stems on that initial plan they spearheaded, certainly not alone and not without its supporters and also other ideas born in parallel, but still plattforms have to be measured differently.

"server side leveling up systems"
sounds incredibly stupid anyway. Recently played Tron Evolution. The character levels up in SP and MP together or just one of those if you want. I need a server for MP, sure, even if it is P2P, but never for a level up system.
The game was framed first and foremost as an online title.
Which is why serverside level system, everything you did in MP and SP was part of your character level.
This unified approach all but requires the system to be server side.

Lootbox odds have to be calculated serverside for when any new content drops or when something is unbalanced, like if players keep getting a shitty skin or if theres an awesome skin with no one having unlocked it.
So those things are constantly monitored on the server.

You can play the whole campaign offline, you just wont level up or be able to open loot boxes.

The whole online side of the game is based on the fact they wanted it to be an online MP title which had a campaign as a glorified tutorial.
It has little to nothing to do with the Xbox One having had an always online component before it was actually released.
OnRush was a late gen game.......it had nothing to do with the Xbox One launch, it was just the revenue structure the team wanted to use.

And we cant even blame EA for this, cuz OnRush was an Evolution Studios game....it was published by Deep Silver.
EA just got responsibility of these titles when they acquired Codemasters.

Your anger and outrage are pointed in completely the wrong direction.
I always thought Xbox live used it's own servers, I remember when GameSpy went down it didn't affect Xbox games
I dont think any of the big publishers actually rely on MS jhandling all the server side stuff.
The server might physically be in an Azure but EA or whoever is still actually in charge of it

Ergo EA is paying for the online servers and we are simply paywalled by PS+ and XB live gold to access what comes default online multiplayer. Steam, epic, Google Play and apple don't charge.
console owners, or the majority of them, must be happy to pay to access multiplayer. back when Microsoft launched Gold people decided to pay for it so Microsoft got away with it. Sony wanted some of that $ so done the same with PS4 and people went along with it...

if people had refused to pay then consoles would have free multiplayer. if Google/Apple can do it then so can Microsoft. If Steam or Epic can do it then so can Sony. If Steam tried to charge for online play it wouldn't work because PC gamers would straight up not pay and the good thing is even if Steam went ahead with it then there are other ways to play games on PC as they are multiple stores. There is Steam, Epic, Blizzard, GOG, Ubisoft, EA. Competition is good. If you buy a console then you need to buy from Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo.

too late to change anything now. people spoke with their wallets and it was in favour of MS/Sony/Nintendo 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
console owners, or the majority of them, must be happy to pay to access multiplayer. back when Microsoft launched Gold people decided to pay for it so Microsoft got away with it. Sony wanted some of that $ so done the same with PS4 and people went along with it...

if people had refused to pay then consoles would have free multiplayer. if Google/Apple can do it then so can Microsoft. If Steam or Epic can do it then so can Sony. If Steam tried to charge for online play it wouldn't work because PC gamers would straight up not pay and the good thing is even if Steam went ahead with it then there are other ways to play games on PC as they are multiple stores. There is Steam, Epic, Blizzard, GOG, Ubisoft, EA. Competition is good. If you buy a console then you need to buy from Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo.

too late to change anything now. people spoke with their wallets and it was in favour of MS/Sony/Nintendo 🤷‍♂️
Lets not blow Valve/Steam too hard here, remember they utterly knackered the physical and 2nd hand PC gaming market practically overnight, people loved that too and couldnt get enough of not actually owning a product..

DaGwaphics

The classic C&C games are a loss. I know there is still some community left around those, even if it is a small one in the grand scheme. Those are older games, do those support third-party servers?

Kusarigama

Completely agree with you. The only thing softening this blow for me is that PS plus extra also cover online multiplayer and it is very sweet deal imo just the games part.

bender

What time is it?
I love arcade racers but after the Onrush demo and then getting the full version via PS+...

meh_emma_stone.gif

RIPN2022

Electronic Arts will be shutting down the online services for four more of its games in early 2023. Electronic Arts and other companies have been shutting down online services for older games in recent years, and it doesn't look like that's going to stop at any point in the near future.

On October 20, EA will be shutting down the online services for Army of Two: The 40th Day and Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel. Then on November 9, online services for Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3, Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, and Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath, and Mercenaries 2: World in Flames are all being shut down. The end of November will see Onrush servers shut down, with the game's online capabilities ending November 30.

After these shutdowns take place, the next date that fans should mark down is January 19, 2023. On that day, four more EA games will lose their online services: Gatling Gears, the original Mirror's Edge, NBA Jam: On Fire Edition, and Shank 2. According to TrueAchievements, two NBA Jam achievements will become impossible to earn after this point, so achievement hunters may want to move it to the top of their list while they still can.
Damn, they are leaving Mirror's Edge online till last? You'd think they'd leave Command and Conquer for that date.

Drizzlehell

Banned
So following these news, I figured that I'm gonna rope in my brother to finally play the co-op campaign in Red Alert 3 with me since we were always promising ourselves that we will but never did. And, you know, since EA is about to put a bullet in its head in about a month, now seems like as good a time as any.

But imagine my surprise when I installed the game and found out that the multiplayer is dead anyway lol. At least the official one, which was running on GameSpy, and that shit died of natural causes years ago so there's literally no way to login to that game's online features anyway. I assume it's the same deal for C&C3 and any other C&C game at this point. There is an unofficial workaround, however. It's pretty easy to set up and I can still see plenty of people playing those games outside of EA's ecosystem. Which means that EA can go fuck itself because those games will live on through their own devoted fanbase, as long as EA won't start throwing cease and desist orders against the modders but I doubt they will.

It only begs one question: what the hell are they planning to shut down if it wasn't working in the first place?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Remember when we had dedicated server clients and you could rent your own server space or use a spare computer in your home running the client?

Not the developers predetermined game modes funneling you into their MTX psychosis or ushering into a new game version ASAP. You had a limitless set of modes, mods, maps, skins, weapons, mutators, etc.. FOR FREE!

Those were the good ole days. And those communities stayed alive longer than they do now on average.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

EA has confirmed that it is shutting down the online services of four games, those being Syndicate, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Shadows of the Damned, and Warp. As is common in the online gaming world, companies eventually end support for the multiplayer components of certain games after a few years. This is the fate that now awaits Syndicate and a few other games from EA.

Top Bottom