• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS And Wii U Online Servers Are Taken Down For Good

Draugoth

Gold Member
nintendo-3ds-and-wii-u.jpg

• Online multiplayer for Wii U and 3DS games has come to an end.
  • Fan-made servers will be the last resort for accessing online features in Wii U and 3DS games.
  • Some fans logged in to games like Splatoon for the last time before the servers were taken offline.

Online multiplayer on all Wii U and 3DS games has come to an end, as Nintendo shuts down the servers for good. This makes it impossible to use online functionality in games such as Pokemon X & Y, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS - at least while using conventional means.

From now on, the only way to access the online features in these games will be to rely on fan-made servers, as we've seen with the original Wii. This means that most players have likely played their final online matches on these consoles, as Nintendo looks to the future with the Switch and its unannounced successor.

Across social media, Nintendo fans are paying their respects to the consoles, with many playing a few games of Splatoon for old-time's sake.

consoul

Splatoon 1 was the best one. The game was built for a two screen setup. RIP & stay fresh.

WiiU flopped, but I still love it. What a weird and wonderful Nintendo system. I'm still grieving the loss of Miiverse ffs.

Here's hoping it gets the kind of unofficial online support Wii still has.

ReyBrujo

Shut down on progress, Japanese netizens were mentioning which servers went down. The infrastructure is probably big enough to be a lengthy process.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Looks like they shut it down at this point. I just went on to see if I could download any DLC. Nope, servers are down.
Yes it is now. I was online that day to gather with the community folks for the last time. So we chatted until the servers shut off. It was quite emotional. The WiiU and 3DS were not even retro yet Nintendo had to pull the plug.

Top Bottom