• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports FC 24 is the UK's second biggest retail launch of 2023 | UK Boxed Charts

yazenov

Publisher's first post-FIFA title sells 30% fewer physical copies than last year
Even with the year-on-year decline, EA Sports FC stands as the second biggest retail launch of 2023, bested only by The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. With digital, it may well be the highest.
Last week's No.1, Mortal Kombat, is knocked down to No.2 with an 83% week-on-week drop in sales
Looking at the platform split for FC 24's launch, PS5 has taken the lion's share of sales at 53%, Xbox Series X/S manages 20%, PS4 17%, and finally, Switch makes up the remaining 9%. It's a similar story for Mortal Kombat 1, too, which managed to snatch the silver this week following its number-one debut. Here, PS5 once again comes out on top at 80%, Xbox Series X/S at 14%, and Switch at 5%.

FC 24 splits:

PS: 70%
Xbox: 20%
Switch: 9%

UK top forty in full:

NEW1EA Sports FC 24
12Mortal Kombat 1
23Hogwarts Legacy
54Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
85Grand Theft Auto V
96The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
107Minecraft
-8Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
149Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
2210The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete Edition
1211The Witcher III: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition
1612Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
2013Animal Crossing: New Horizons
1114The Crew Motorfest
615Cyberpunk 2077
1516Red Dead Redemption 2
2317Nintendo Switch Sports
1718Street Fighter 6
319Lies of P
3020Diablo IV
2421Pikmin 4
2922Pokémon Violet
2623New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
-24Saints Row
2725Super Mario Odyssey
-26Dark Souls Trilogy
2127Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition
1828Final Fantasy VII & Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Twin Pack
2529Pokémon Scarlet
3130Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
3831FIFA 23
3632Mario Party Superstars
3733Fae Farm
1934Starfield
1335Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
436Pikmin 1+2
3937Resident Evil 4
2838Lego Harry Potter Collection
-39Cobra Kai 2: Dojos Rising
740Payday 3

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Honestly, kinda amazing that TotK was able to sell the most physical on a single platform than a soccer juggernaut. I wonder if the name change had anything to do with it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
World (not really) shocked that FIFA's brand doesn't actually mean much.

EDIT: Out of interest, is it me that's supposedly triggered or the person who leaves a triggered emoticon? Is that you, Mr Infantino?

Last edited:

Mayar

Neo Member
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why EA will never make a normal version of the game, but will continue to sell the same game with new textures year after year. Because why bother if people already buy and will continue to buy.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
What are the other options available for football fans? Other than the Konami title which I don't even know its name.
I don't think there's anything that challenges EA, not since Pro Evolution Soccer, but even when that series was around, EA ruled the roost for literally decades. Konami rebranded Pro Evolution Soccer to eFootball a few years ago. But unfortunately they've had so little success, I hadn't even heard of it until right now when I googled to check when the last Pro Evo was released.

It makes FIFAs decision to play hardball with their brand even more baffling - they surely knew nobody else was bidding, and anyone competent would have known that EA would know too. FIFA should have just accepted the millions of dollars for doing nothing.

Last edited:

Catphish

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why EA will never make a normal version of the game, but will continue to sell the same game with new textures year after year. Because why bother if people already buy and will continue to buy.
All these clowns get from me now is whatever cut MS gives them from my Gamepass sub.

I'll never pay money for an EA title again, and I will never pay for their subscription service again. I'll play whatever filters down to Gamepass, or I won't play it at all.

The world might be full of suckers for EA to game, but I'm no longer one of them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Starfield is looking like Lieutenant Dan
Academy Awards Film GIF by CBS

If you told someone that a new Bethesda IP would be sunk in the sales chart and about to come out of it a few weeks after its launch, they wouldn't believe it a few years ago, but well...they have chosen that path.
Then when Ryan says that the GP is a "destroyer of value" I only read insults towards him, but look at those sales ratios, "FIFA 24" 70% in PS, MK1 80% in PS, etc... and he has all the reason.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If you told someone that a new Bethesda IP would be sunk in the sales chart and about to come out of it a few weeks after its launch, they wouldn't believe it a few years ago, but well...they have chosen that path.
Then when Ryan says that the GP is a "destroyer of value" I only read insults towards him, but look at those sales ratios, "FIFA 24" 70% in PS, MK1 80% in PS, etc... and he has all the reason.
Exactly.

Some of us try to debate with facts n logic, some choose to debate with feelings.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
We have just seen leaked documents that say that 75% of Series consoles don't have a disc drive, so that's worth taking into account when talking about physical sales.

As for Starfield dropping out of the chart, same thing applies, but those sales are surely diminished by some very disappointing reviews.

Obviously Gamepass will contribute, but it surely can't simultaneously destroy sales but also not be subscribed to by most Xbox players.

So in that sense, Starfield's physical sales will be reduced by Gamepass, lack of hardware capable of playing the game and lower reviews than expected.

Annu Kapoor Bollywood GIF

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

World (not really) shocked that FIFA's brand doesn't actually mean much.
It will mean a lot when EA FC has to compete with another game in the market with that brand attached.

These current figures for FC24 mean very little unless they were much lower than Fifa23 for unexplained reasons, or much higher, because these are the knowledgeable Online Season and Ultimate team players like my brother-in-law or people familiar with the game through re-branding advertising that will be costing far more than previous years' advertising efforts.

What will be more important is how this plays out in the long tail sales, especially when re-branding advertising is stopped, and when a Fifa game is on a shelf next to it.

The Fifa brand is the only reason EA have been able to corner the market and afford to get all those licenses for their game, so even the renegoitation of those licenses is going to look a lot different when there is a competitor using the Fifa brand.

Last edited:

yazenov

We have just seen leaked documents that say that 75% of Series consoles don't have a disc drive, so that's worth taking into account when talking about physical sales.

As for Starfield dropping out of the chart, same thing applies, but those sales are surely diminished by some very disappointing reviews.

Obviously Gamepass will contribute, but it surely can't simultaneously destroy sales but also not be subscribed to by most Xbox players.

So in that sense, Starfield's physical sales will be reduced by Gamepass, lack of hardware capable of playing the game and lower reviews than expected.

Yeah, triple whammy.

1- Gamepass
2- Exclusive to the least popular console with the digital version being the most popular SKU.
3- lower than expected reviews, with less than 90 review average.

On a side note, Lies of P decline was steap as well. From 3 to 19.

Last edited:
Not looking good for Starfield's NPD/Circana debut at all 😬

FWIW, people like Chris Dring and I believe Mat Piscatella have said the current ratio is closer to 50:50 between the S and X, slightly favoring the S. My assumption was that it was generally 60:40 in favor of the S for the longest time, so it becoming more like 55:45 between S and X would be reasonable.

Whether they mean for this year or lifetime I dunno, but I assume they are probably referring to lifetime. So that would mean there are a lot more Series owners who can buy physical, than we may have suspected.

I thought Starfield would drop given gamepass etc, but the depths of it after a couple of weeks has actually surprised me. Maybe I didn't anticipate second winds for other games

The general reception for Starfield has been "It's okay. Somewhat above-average". But that simply isn't good enough in today's market for a AAA game, when even somewhat better AA games will eat away at potential sales.

Time is even more valuable than money and it seems like most people don't want to spend what money they have on a "just okay" game eating up big chunks of their gaming time.

Last edited:

jm89

It will mean a lot when EA FC has to compete with another game in the market with that brand attached.

These current figures for FC24 mean very little unless they were much lower than Fifa23 for unexplained reasons, or much higher, because these are the knowledgeable Online Season and Ultimate team players like my brother-in-law or people familiar with the game through re-branding advertising that will be costing far more than previous years' advertising efforts.

What will be more important is how this plays out in the long tail sales, especially when re-branding advertising is stopped, and when a Fifa game is on a shelf next to it.

The Fifa brand is the only reason EA have been able to corner the market and afford to get all those licenses for their game, so even the renegoitation of those licenses is going to look a lot different when there is a competitor using the Fifa brand.
Whoever does get the fifa license needs to go for the head and get a few of the domestic league/teams licenses, not settle on international licenses and champions leageue licenses like konami did.

Going for the premier league straight out the gate would be detrimental to EA, UK is one of the biggest gaming markets in the EU i think it surpassed germany a while back so that could really hit them hard.

Last edited:

Tsaki

I believe FIFA royally fucked up. They wanted something like $1billion for 4 years of license and EA was not having any of it. Now to have a competitor to EA Sports FC means that someone else has to pay the 1 billie. That someone also has to have a development team that is capable of making such a game. So build a team from the ground up and then make a game from scratch. How many years will that be? EA had the exact same people making this as always and just changed the title. Decades of experience making football games and all the analytics and data they collected along the way. The new publisher will also have to pay for all the team licenses and pray that EA doesn't make an exclusive agreement with them.

PaintTinJr

I believe FIFA royally fucked up. They wanted something like $1billion for 4 years of license and EA was not having any of it. Now to have a competitor to EA Sports FC means that someone else has to pay the 1 billie. That someone also has to have a development team that is capable of making such a game. So build a team from the ground up and then make a game from scratch. How many years will that be? EA had the exact same people making this as always and just changed the title. Decades of experience making football games and all the analytics and data they collected along the way. The new publisher will also have to pay for all the team licenses and pray that EA doesn't make an exclusive agreement with them.
They lose money in the short term, but the replacement they get for EA won't be at the level EA are, or they will be paying Konami to make them a very specific game for them to sell on as a publisher.

Fifa's mistake was from failing to realise that they'd empowered EA 20years ago to kill off all the competition, giving them the power to then acquire all the other licenses.

Fifa asking for more money because EA were making more money is just business, but short of Fifa being replaced by another governing body, Fifa will outlive EA FC's continued popularity. So the question is really why didn't EA find a solutio? and I believe the reason for that is market consolidation, and EA are now free to put themselves in the shop window like Activision Blizzard King did.

Fifa could pay someone to make a sensible soccer clone quickly, get it out in the market and on iOS/Android and probably make close to $1b themselves and damage EA FC into the bargain with lost casual sales.

As someone that preferred the footy game scene before Fifa killed off everyone but Konami, I'm pleased that this is now going to be a test in the next few years to see if they now reap what they sowed.

Shit is Hogwarts legacy and Tears of the Kingdom gonna outsell Fifa or whatever its called in 2023!?

When was last time that happened GTA5?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Finding Starfield on September NPD gonna feel like a game of Where's Waldo.
I don't think that will be a challenge for Starfield, mainly because there weren't many high-profile games that were released in September. BG3 might not even be tracked.

The real challenge would be the overall 2023 year sales data by Circana. I don't think Starfield will find a prominent place on that chart, if any.

Top Bottom