• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports WRC VR support update releasing at the end of April

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Might have to fire this up with the quest 3......could be fun......need a wheel though.....

THE DUCK

I don’t know why they’ve ignored psvr2. I guess GT7 is too much competition?

User base is too small, not worth the effort.
That's why it was so important for Sony to hit a mass market peripheral price point, which they failed to do. Well that and have more first party support and consumer confidence, something psvr1 didn't instill.

Last edited:

CamHostage

They’re using the Open XR API for the VR mode, which is only compatible with Windows, Linux and Android.

I'm not sure that's fully correct that OpenXR is "only compatible" with those platforms outright? Several stand-alone VR devices support it... many if not all of these are rooted down deep as Linux/Android-based devices, so I guess it's the same thing as what you're saying. Sony meanwhile uses FreeBSD as the base of its OS.

But either way, you are right that it is not now supported on PlayStation 5 (and wasn't supported on PS4 for its VR either,) and it is unclear if PlayStation will ever change that despite the corporate "Sony" being involved with the standard. The fact that PlayStation is adding PC support drivers to PSVR2 may open up some interesting further discussion, but again, that doesn't necessarily mean anything would translate into PS5 feature support.

Of course, other PC and Quest titles have been ported to PSVR2 (including the two Moss games which I believe originated on PS hardware.) It's not impossible to rewrite that interface. But I don't know what it'd take to get EA interested in doing it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Because Sony ignore PSVR2 as well.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Brutal, but true.

Last edited:
Because Sony ignore PSVR2 as well.
Not true at all. Sony put GT7 on there. An amazing experience creating many fans of vr racing games who previously weren’t. And otherwise it doesn’t matter what Sony does. The system is well reviewed and healthy. It’s up to developers to take advantage of the opportunity

They’re using the Open XR API for the VR mode, which is only compatible with Windows, Linux and Android.

That makes sense

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Not true at all. Sony put GT7 on there. An amazing experience creating many fans of vr racing games who previously weren’t. And otherwise it doesn’t matter what Sony does. The system is well reviewed and healthy. It’s up to developers to take advantage of the opportunity

That makes sense

GT7 vr mode is a port of an existing game. There is one AAA game that is vr exclusive from Sony first party (horizon) and it's not even really a full game. The system one year in has poor sales, is too expensive for most buyers to be interested, and no real announcements of and AAA upcoming games from Sony, and is on life support.

Gt7 may be great but it's not going to be enough.

Last edited:

Hudo

It's up to Sony to support that thing for real not with one or two ports of old games per year. If I were a developer and I see how the platform holder is not supporting and not showing much confidence in its platform (Sony halted production because of slow sales), I'd stay the fuck away. Also: Sony already have historical precedence of not supporting a platform enough: Playstation Vita.

Additionally: PSVR2 is not selling gangbusters.

Last edited:
This and the yearly F1 games not being on VR2 is a major failure from Sony. EA seems to think it is worth doing on PC but does not see profits in VR2 which should ring alarm bells at Sony HQ. If they don't even get these ports and beside Capcom no relevant dev/pub cares, the platform will fizzle out like Vita did. Probably with great attachment numbers from the die hard enthusiasts but ultimately a venture that did not evolve the VR market maybe even deflate compared to VR1.

Markio128

Gold Member
This and the yearly F1 games not being on VR2 is a major failure from Sony. EA seems to think it is worth doing on PC but does not see profits in VR2 which should ring alarm bells at Sony HQ. If they don't even get these ports and beside Capcom no relevant dev/pub cares, the platform will fizzle out like Vita did. Probably with great attachment numbers from the die hard enthusiasts but ultimately a venture that did not evolve the VR market maybe even deflate compared to VR1.
Playing devil’s advocate here, but PC owners can brute force games to work well in PC VR, so devs can make minimal effort. The same can’t be said on PSVR2 - EA would actually need to try and make the game work smoothly, which they haven’t managed with the base WRC game on PS5. F1 would also require effort to run similarly to GT7, which was only possible because PD made GT7 with PSVR2 in mind.

It's up to Sony to support that thing for real not with one or two ports of old games per year. If I were a developer and I see how the platform holder is not supporting and not showing much confidence in its platform (Sony halted production because of slow sales), I'd stay the fuck away. Also: Sony already have historical precedence of not supporting a platform enough: Playstation Vita.

Additionally: PSVR2 is not selling gangbusters.
The slow sales was just a rumour. Such rumours are often spread by organizations hostile to the company they are referring to. This already happened at the PSVR2s launch from the infamous IDC, only to be proven false by Sony shortly after. The rumour you mention appeared to be the same thing. When the actual sales of PSVR2 leaked shorty after that rumour it turned out that PSVR2 is averaging 1/2 of the ultra successful Meta headsets btw. Thats a sign of great sales way above expectations. The more important metric is game sales and here is where PSVR2 is showing to be a very healthy ecosystem. Probably well above PCVR.

GT7 vr mode is a port of an existing game. There is one AAA game that is vr exclusive from Sony first party (horizon) and it's not even really a full game. The system one year in has poor sales, is too expensive for most buyers to be interested, and no real announcements of and AAA upcoming games from Sony, and is on life support.

No, GT7 is not a port. GT7 was made from the ground up to work in VR according to the dev. You can't forget about RE8 and RE4R which are exclusive to PSVR2 when playing in VR. These projects were also funded by Sony and count as much as GT7. As someone who games primarily in VR, I found the first year of PSVR2 software to be phenomenal. The two REs and GT7 were better than anything else this gen IMO. Some of the ports are now better than ever like Red Matter 2.

Hudo

The slow sales was just a rumour. Such rumours are often spread by organizations hostile to the company they are referring to. This already happened at the PSVR2s launch from the infamous IDC, only to be proven false by Sony shortly after. The rumour you mention appeared to be the same thing. When the actual sales of PSVR2 leaked shorty after that rumour it turned out that PSVR2 is averaging 1/2 of the ultra successful Meta headsets btw. Thats a sign of great sales way above expectations. The more important metric is game sales and here is where PSVR2 is showing to be a very healthy ecosystem. Probably well above PCVR.

No, GT7 is not a port. GT7 was made from the ground up to work in VR according to the dev. You can't forget about RE8 and RE4R which are exclusive to PSVR2 when playing in VR. These projects were also funded by Sony and count as much as GT7. As someone who games primarily in VR, I found the first year of PSVR2 software to be phenomenal. The two REs and GT7 were better than anything else this gen IMO. Some of the ports are now better than ever like Red Matter 2.
So why did Sony halt production on PSVR2?

So why did Sony halt production on PSVR2?
Why does Apple halt production of new iPhones while they are breaking records? And then IDC writes a hit piece.

Edit: to be a bit more specific, is it better for a company to manufacture products at the rate of purchase or is it better to do so faster and build up extra? It could very well be that the latter is more cost efficient.

Last edited:

Hudo

Why does Apple halt production of new iPhones while they are breaking records? And then IDC writes a hit piece.

Edit: to be a bit more specific, is it better for a company to manufacture products at the rate of purchase or is it better to do so faster and build up extra? It could very well be that the latter is more cost efficient.
So, you're telling me that PSVR2 is crushing it in the sales and Sony is halting production because that's something logical to do? Fair enough. I am not a MBA guy, so maybe that makes sense in that world.

The information that I got from reports and Sony's sales shit was that PSVR2 sales were weaker than expected (unsurprisingly, considering that it's overpriced and currently chained to also having to have a PS5, which is also not cheap) and that they're halting production until the SKUs in their storage have been sold through. If that's a success, then cool.

THE DUCK

It's an existing game released years prior that many people had already played, regardless of adding vr. As to re, same thing there, these are not new games. Then you have red matter 2, a port of game available elsewhere.

Even if I grant you the notion that the first year has been great, what has Sony announced even a year away that is an original AAA exclusive? 2 years? As far as I know, it's nothing.

As to slow sales being a rumor, the thing is in stock everywhere, and there is no chance they would have unlocked pc drivers unless sales was an issue.

Last edited:
It's an existing game released years prior that many people had already played, regardless of adding vr. As to re, same thing there, these are not new games. Then you have red matter 2, a port of game available elsewhere.

Even if I grant you the notion that the first year has been great, what has Sony announced even a year away that is an original AAA exclusive? 2 years? As far as I know, it's nothing.

As to slow sales being a rumor, the thing is in stock everywhere, and there is no chance they would have unlocked pc drivers unless sales was an issue.
It doesn’t matter to VR enthusiasts that there were inferior ways to play those games sooner. GT7, RE8 and RE4R are psvr2 exclusives via Sony. Sony has been slow to announce distant products this gen.

We have no idea how stacked the latter half of this year will be for PSVR2. We might get behemoth, the Astrobot successor and who knows what else.

Something being in stock doesn’t matter when you know it’s selling well.

So, you're telling me that PSVR2 is crushing it in the sales and Sony is halting production because that's something logical to do? Fair enough. I am not a MBA guy, so maybe that makes sense in that world.

The information that I got from reports and Sony's sales shit was that PSVR2 sales were weaker than expected (unsurprisingly, considering that it's overpriced and currently chained to also having to have a PS5, which is also not cheap) and that they're halting production until the SKUs in their storage have been sold through. If that's a success, then cool.

Yes. It appears the naysayers are wrong again and psvr2 is healthy and selling well. There’s no need to examine the tea leaves of production lines being halted. Those negative reports should not be given so much respect. It’s just disinformation.

It’s overpriced - yeah right. It’s one of if not the best headset out there and costs half what similar PCVR headsets cost. That’s why they so desperately want it on pc. So yeah keep perpetuating FUD and desperately reading the tea leaves but there are many reasons to pause a production line. All it takes is a new revision.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

It doesn’t matter to VR enthusiasts that there were inferior ways to play those games sooner. GT7, RE8 and RE4R are psvr2 exclusives via Sony. Sony has been slow to announce distant products this gen.

We have no idea how stacked the latter half of this year will be for PSVR2. We might get behemoth, the Astrobot successor and who knows what else.

Something being in stock doesn’t matter when you know it’s selling well.

Yes. It appears the naysayers are wrong again and psvr2 is healthy and selling well. There’s no need to examine the tea leaves of production lines being halted. Those negative reports should not be given so much respect. It’s just disinformation.

It’s overpriced - yeah right. It’s one of if not the best headset out there and costs half what similar PCVR headsets cost. That’s why they so desperately want it on pc. So yeah keep perpetuating FUD and desperately reading the tea leaves but there are many reasons to pause a production line. All it takes is a new revision.

I'm not sure why your on and on about how great sales are for psvr2. There's no new games, hardly anything announced, and almost zero buzz or chatter about it. Even if astrobot is announced, it's the sequel to a game that sold less than a million copies, it doesnt move the needle to get people to buy psvr2.

They need a spiderman vr, a god of war vr and or a ratchet vr, and not just a ports, AAA vr games from the ground up, and it's just not going to happen. You need massively competing reasons to sell to non vr enthusiasts. The enthusiasts like you and me already bought one. (The group is pretty small considering it's only a small percentage of people who already own a ps5).

Three

Do you think WRC isn't an existing game? What's your point? Where's the AAA first party announcements for other headsets?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Do you think WRC isn't an existing game? What's your point? Where's the AAA first party announcements for other headsets?

It's not just a ps5 problem exclusively. The lack of aaa support for vr hurts all vr systems. But quest 3 has other advantages that Sony lacks, pc compatibility (for now), the ability to play games wirelessly, and the ability to play games with no pc or console. So if you have 200 million potential people interested in vr 50 million for ps5, but only 2% are interested, your talking a million in sales vs 4 million. And that's just less attractive to 3rd party devs as well to take the time and money to port.

Last edited:

Three

It's not just a ps5 problem exclusively. The lack of aaa support for vr hurts all vr systems. But quest 3 has other advantages that Sony lacks, pc compatibility (for now), the ability to play games wirelessly, and the ability to play games with no pc or console. So if you have 200 million potential people interested in vr 50 million for ps5, but only 2% are interested, your talking a million in sales vs 4 million. And that's just less attractive to 3rd party devs as well to take the time and money to port.

So why are you concentrating on first party releases then to try and make it seem unsupported if the situation is much worse for first party on other headsets?

Ultimately most VR games released are multiplatform and have released on PSVR2. Why try to frame it and minimise games support like RE4, RE Village, or Switchback VR? Those are third party devs supporting the system exclusively in addition to the ones releasing multiplatform. Why the first party criteria? The thing sony really needs to do is make better APIs/tools for developers regarding compatibility. Not just for Open XR but also their own BC titles.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

So why are you concentrating on first party releases then to try and make it seem unsupported if the situation is much worse for first party on other headsets?

Ultimately most VR games released are multiplatform and have released on PSVR2. Why try to frame it and minimise games support like RE4, RE Village, or Switchback VR? Those are third party devs supporting the system exclusively in addition to the ones releasing multiplatform. Why the first party criteria? The thing sony really needs to do is make better APIs/tools for developers regarding compatibility. Not just for Open XR but also their own BC titles.

For multiple reasons - the uphill battle Sony faces makes it even more critical. Between needing a console, the price, and previous lack of support, a serious effort is needed to take it to the next level. Now it's doomed to what is likely lower sales than psvr1 despite it being vastly superior hardware and experience.

Tools won't matter if all the system has is ports of other a and aa vr games. And if we are being honest, vr just isn't there yet fir mass market appeal. You and I may enjoy, but most people won't find the hassle and expense worth it. We are probably 10-15 years away from mass market vr adoption along the lines of consoles. Hardware needs to be more powerfull, cheaper, lighter, and higher res. They also need those aaa games up front, not after, software drives hardware, not the other way around.

Not that I really blame Sony in a way, they predict 1-2 million in sales, why would you make AAA games for it?
Makes you wonder why they didn't launch a portable instead, had much higher potential for sales and easy ports, but seems like vr is a pet project of someone high up at Sony.

Three

Tools won't matter if all the system has is ports of other a and aa vr games. And if we are being honest, vr just isn't there yet fir mass market appeal. You and I may enjoy, but most people won't find the hassle and expense worth it. We are probably 10-15 years away from mass market vr adoption along the lines of consoles. Hardware needs to be more powerfull, cheaper, lighter, and higher res. They also need those aaa games up front, not after, software drives hardware, not the other way around.

I think dev support is the single most important thing for continued support of the device. All headsets are getting 'ports' of multiplatform releases due to the small VR market size overall and they risk falling to the wayside if there are any dev barriers that don't make development/support as cheap as possible.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

PC is where VR is best supported and there is no 'first party' on PC. Even still there is Half Life:Alyx plus VR modes for nearly all sim type games from Beamng.drive through Flight Sim, F1, Asseto Corsa, Automobilista, DCS, and now WRC among many others. Alongside that is complete VR mods for things like Half Life 2, Alien Isolation or most RE games and then UEVR injector on top of that. Alongside that is nearly every other VR game except the tiny few Quest or PS5 exclusives including de facto 'exclusives' like skyrim.
It's an uphill battle for Sony, but I do disagree with some other posters, a VR mode in an existing game is pretty mush as good as a ground-up VR game. It is definitely better in interactive environment games like Half Life 2 than Resident Evil 2, but it is still a brand new experience.
That's why I don't understand why Sony hasn't been pushing out more VR mods for their games to generate a decent catalog. Last of Us would be a prime example of where it would work.

He lives to minimize PSVR2.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
None of these are as good as GT7 though.

Those are not good experiences.
Depending what you are looking for a lot of those games far surpass GT7. Even amongst driving games GT7 is easily surpassed by several PC games if you are looking for accurate simulation. Extensive destruction physics - yeah no contest. Pure arcade craziness - can't beat no hesi.
I mean if all other games aren't as good then why does anyone care if WRC is ported to PSVR2 - it isn't needed, right?
Yeah UEVR injector can be a little janky but it can also provide a pretty solid VR experience in games like Tekken 8 which would just never get a VR version otherwise.

Three

PC is where VR is best supported and there is no 'first party' on PC. Even still there is Half Life:Alyx plus VR modes for nearly all sim type games
I said headset and there is first party for those headsets like Quest, Index. You even mentioned the very limited first party release for Valve's Index/steam. 1 first party game in how many years? First party isn't important as long as there is third party support and multiplatform games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom