• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA thought only 2 million people would buy a single-player Dead Space 3

Draugoth

Gold Member
dead_space_3.jpg

According to Visceral Games' story producer Chuck Beaver, the audience for single-player horror games was big, but not big enough back in 2013.

In a recent interview with YouTuber CaptainBribo, he revealed that a decade ago, interest in such titles seemed to be capped at "around 2 million people." That's a sizable number, he noted, but it added up to "literally nothing" when taking development costs into account.

That upper limit is important to note, given the franchise Beaver previously worked on. Dead Space 3, now over 10 years old, introduced co-op to the franchise, a controversial move back then given the first two games being largely single-player affairs.

During the 2010s, a number of triple-A horror franchises such as Resident Evil and FEAR introduced co-op or competitive multiplayer (or both) as a way to draw in payers. Those gambits didn't always take with audiences, with many calling the inclusion a betrayal of those series' roots and core appeal.

Beaver acknowledged this a core problem with Dead Space 3, saying it lost what players loved about the first two installments. "The gun mechanic, the re-crafting...[we wanted] to expand into other gameplay genres and stuff, and I think all those bits together not only didn’t generate a new audience, they lost the old audience."

The risk Visceral took was calculated, he continued, but hurt by the apparent fact that Visceral "[wasn't] allowed to make a horror game from the beginning. So creative director Ben Wanat and I were like, 'Well what are we making?'"

I can definitely sympathize with that "well then, what *are* we doing?" feeling at work. Anyway, would love to get a remake of 3 that brings it back toward survival horror. I remember really liking the atmosphere in the first third of the game.

PeteBull

Please make a Dead Space VR. Don't know what are they waiting for...
And I mean a true VR game, not an "experience" .
They dont make it coz they know it wont sell, like all VR games/experiences, not even 1 had proper blockbuster lvl of sales.

Roni

Gold Member
Played 3 in single-player recently, before the remake dropped, and it feels like a step down from 2. The emphasis is clearly on combat which undermines any attempts at horror. The hallucination stuff in co-op was cool though. Had a good time with a buddy of mine playing in co-op when it came out.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That's not that crazy of a prediction. Not all games sold 10 million back then, and series wasn't exactly breaking records.

SCB3

Yea makes sense, remember Dead Space is cited as being a major reason for the "Project $10" DLC stuff, as numbers shows 3 Million people played DS but it only sold about 1 million

Top Bottom