• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Magazine review scores for September 2023, Issue #387

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
63_articlefulldgd4y.jpg

Reviews:
Final Fantasy XVI - 7
C-Smash VRS - 6
Oxenfree II - 5
Aliens: Dark Descent - 8
Trepang2 - 7
Master Detective Archives: Rain Code - 6
Synapse - 7
Roto Force - 8
Dordogne - 7
Venba - 8

SkylineRKR

I take EDGE at face value concerning FF this time. They tend to hate the Nomuraverse, but they loved FFXII and XIV. XVI should've been right up their alley too, but I think, considering its Edge, the 7 is deserved from what I played so far. Its a beautiful world with good characters, VA and music, but the game itself is rather shallow with pacing issues and bad side quest design.

If they scored FFXV a 7/10, I would say they over scored. XIII was a 5/10 and FFVII R a 7/10 and with both I would agree. FFXV is a 5/10 to me as well. As for FFXVI, i hoped it was a bit more of an RPG.

tmlDan

FF16 isnt that amazing guys. The boss fights are dope, the music is great. The characters are boring and the world itself is empty, boring, no interesting quests etc. Very linear.
Wrong. The characters are not boring, they're the best part of the game alongside the boss fights and combat.

Since when is linear a bad thing? Most FF's are linear.

Edge living up to it's name feeding off troll energy

Go_Ly_Dow

From Edge's review of FF16

For all the grand sweep of the story, on foot the game often feels parochial. Most of your time is pent padding between villages, through flooded plains and forests linked by corridors. These environments are exquisitely rendered but the world feels forlornly underpopulated. After an arresting first act, Final Fantasy 16's pace slows considerably, with a trickle of sidequests and ponderous main missions.

The absence of people of colour is notable in a game about slavery. The team's well-publicized that black and brown people did not exist in European medievil times does not hold up - they did. Ice dragons, flame spewing Godzillas and rideable chickens however did not.
The world feels underpopulated? I felt there were a great amount of NPCs to interact with. More than a lot of other JRPGs. A lot of NPC chatter that updates and evolves with the narrative.

Also would they have scored it an 8 or 9 if the game black/brown characters?

Last edited:

graywolf323

From Edge's review of FF16

For all the grand sweep of the story, on foot the game often feels parochial. Most of your time is pent padding between villages, through flooded plains and forests linked by corridors. These environments are exquisitely rendered but the world feels forlornly underpopulated. After an arresting first act, Final Fantasy 16's pace slows considerably, with a trickle of sidequests and ponderous main missions.

The absence of people of colour is notable in a game about slavery. The team's well-publicized that black and brown people did not exist in European medievil times does not hold up - they did. Ice dragons, flame spewing Godzillas and rideable chickens however did not.
The world feels underpopulated? I felt there were a great amount of NPCs to interact with. More than a lot of other JRPGs. A lot of NPC chatter that updates and evolves with the narrative.

Also would they have scored it an 8 or 9 if the game black/brown characters?
wow so they dinged it because of that? they’re as bad as Eurogamer
Is Edge the last bastion of reasonable review scores?
based on this no

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
7/10 is a fine score for FFXVI, but did EDGE play a different build? I am pretty sure there’s a whole region of brown people. I also don’t know why black characters have to be in the game because the story is about slavery. There’s whole histories and cultures of black people not related to slavery lol

Rran

"The team's well-publicized that black and brown people did not exist in European medievil times does not hold up - they did. Ice dragons, flame spewing Godzillas and rideable chickens however did not."

Ugh, I don't know what's worse, this spurious reasoning or the idea that the author believed he was making a witty and clever observation.

peish

"The team's well-publicized that black and brown people did not exist in European medievil times does not hold up - they did. Ice dragons, flame spewing Godzillas and rideable chickens however did not."

Ugh, I don't know what's worse, this spurious reasoning or the idea that the author believed he was making a witty and clever observation.

can we check if the edge reviewer also hail from Eurogamer? like they do help outsource reviews to uk publication, already caught them in guardian and another uk magazine dinging on this same issue, non-issue.

look i do agree with a 7 for ff16 because of some underwhelming design choices and lack of script proof reading, but no way should this poc polygon stirring shit be at the forefront

FF16 isnt that amazing guys. The boss fights are dope, the music is great. The characters are boring and the world itself is empty, boring, no interesting quests etc. Very linear.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Awesome game, pretty linear but everything else is top tier. And no it’s not DMC quality fighting, but it’s also not a DMC game. It’s suitable for what it needs to be.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wrong. The characters are not boring, they're the best part of the game alongside the boss fights and combat.

Since when is linear a bad thing? Most FF's are linear.

Edge living up to it's name feeding off troll energy
The only interesting characters are benedicta, cid and the relationship between Joshua and Clive.

The others? Absolutely boring

tmlDan

The only interesting characters are benedicta, cid and the relationship between Joshua and Clive.

The others? Absolutely boring
so you played the first 5 hours of the game then? there are others are far more interesting.

MMaRsu

Banned
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Awesome game, pretty linear but everything else is top tier. And no it’s not DMC quality fighting, but it’s also not a DMC game. It’s suitable for what it needs to be.
Top tier fetch quests? Top tier HD towns? Top tier side characters with deep sidequests?

Not saying its not an awesome game. But an 8 would suffice.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
7/10 is a fine score for FFXVI, but did EDGE play a different build? I am pretty sure there’s a whole region of brown people. I also don’t know why black characters have to be in the game because the story is about slavery. There’s whole histories and cultures of black people not related to slavery lol
To Edge, brown people are practically white.

Neilg

According to some, they're not dark enough - more like tanned white people.
It's so stupid. I cant imagine being the kind of person who can play such a spectacular rollercoaster of a story and sit there thinking how problematic it is.
FF16 side quests are also over in 5 minutes. you play them for the dialogue. you go somewhere, do a fight, come back - yes, the actions are very basic, but thats not the point, the writing is.

Last edited:

Fbh

If that's part of the review then I can't take it seriously or believe that it was done in an impartial way.

Fake

Is Edge after all. We can't spect much from them after all.

Top Bottom