• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes |OT| One Hero For Every Season Since the Last Good Suikoden Game

Which Platform Are You Playing On?

• PlayStation 4

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Xbox / Game Pass

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Steam

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Nintendo Switch

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Epic Games Store

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GOG

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Pallas

How easy is it to find a copy of Suikoden 1 & 2?
Easy if you’re willing to pay. They’re out there but you’ll be paying excess of $100+ for Suikoden 2 alone, maybe double or triple that depending on the condition and if the manual and case are with the game as well.

Suikoden 1 is a bit more affordable though.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Easy if you’re willing to pay. They’re out there but you’ll be paying excess of $100+ for Suikoden 2 alone, maybe double or triple that depending on the condition and if the manual and case are with the game as well.

Suikoden 1 is a bit more affordable though.
Wow I thought that was mostly the NTSC version. Interesting how the NTSC-J version is just as expensive.

bosnianpie

Low FPS. No SSD so long load time. Crashes. The game wasn't optimized for Switch. The devs actually want to skip Switch but ultimately cave-in to backers/publisher request

Aww that sucks. I guess I'll manage but I hope they patch some of the worst problems.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Oh. I didn’t realize you meant the Japanese version. Are you specifically talking about that PSP port?
I meant the PS1 port. That’s also an interesting topic, rare Japanese PSP games. I’m familiar with the Japanese Star Ocean 2 port, but not Suikoden. I was only familiar with the Suikoden on NDS that got released here.

I see now there was The Woven Web of a Century and the Konami best of (1 & 2). You’re saying the PSP port is hard to come by in Japan of 1 & 2?

Last edited:
I'm not going in expecting it to be a Suikoden slayer, so I'm sure I'll like it, but I'm leaving the opportunity to be surprised and even love it. Suikoden 1,2,5 are all in my top 10 RPGs all time though so I never expected it to be a game that would challenge Suikoden. I'm just going to appreciate it for what it is. And who knows, maybe I'll like it as much.

I wasn't expecting that either

Still loved it

My issues mostly stem from the localization

If I knew the localization sucked before I got the game I would have waited to buy it

Also I don't mind there's hardly any QOL Features. What makes Suikoden well Suikoden is that the recruitable characters can offer QOL features. The game rewards players who go out of their way to do and get everything. I got a character that let's me fast travel and to get no random Encounters, I found a accessory that massively decreases Random Encounters. Pair that with a character in the Attendant spot that decreases Random Encounters, I had no Random Encounters but only Boss fights. And when I want to grind I takes those off. Same with the running speed. You can get this accessory that's makes you faster. Pair that up with a character that's in the Attendant spot, you get a massive boost in speed

I think the only QOL Features they should have included was where you can save anywhere on the World Map and there should have been 3x Battle Speed

The bad reviews are from Tourists and I love how the game rewards you when you actually want to put in the time instead of freely handing it out like most JRPGs do nowadays

Also it's was refreshing to see how each Boss Battle has unique aspects to them so you have to figure them out.

I especially enjoy the fact that treasure chest appears in battles and you can hit them to get the items.

I loved the soundtrack especially during the second half

I was able to get all the characters and the best ending. It's a Testament to how much better as a gamer I got (I started gaming during my Junior Year of Highschool in the early 2000s) I still don't play racing games since I suck at them

I'm planning on going back to Eiyuden Chronicles and doing Post Game and 💯 everything that the game has to offer and get all the Achievements. Same with Unicorn Overlord

But right now Eiyuden Chronicles is my GOTY

It just has a feel of a PS1/PS2 JRPGs which I really miss

Another Game that has that PS1/PS2 Feel is Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I also felt some of the character designs to be a bit generic looking (kind of mobile artstyle) and there's hardly any sexy fanservice like we got with Jeanne in the Suikoden games

Yes there's hardly any sexy fanservice in the Suikoden Franchise but there are a few characters like Jeanne that were sexy

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Is there a clever way to kind of regen HP some way? Aside from simply pressing ahead and leveling up? I am still pretty early on. Only became captain about an hour ago. I got sidetracked by both Animal Well and Stellar Blade after I started this earlier this month.

NeoLed

Is there a clever way to kind of regen HP some way? Aside from simply pressing ahead and leveling up? I am still pretty early on. Only became captain about an hour ago. I got sidetracked by both Animal Well and Stellar Blade after I started this earlier this month.
I only know to use Medicine herb. It's 20 baqua a piece

About three hours, not far at all.

As I mentioned on my previous post

Get all of the characters especially since some of them offer good extras liked add QOL

Not to mention that you have to have recruited all the characters to get the good ending

And make sure to open all the chests

They offer some good accessories later on that help in the QOL Features

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wasn't expecting that either

Still loved it

My issues mostly stem from the localization

If I knew the localization sucked before I got the game I would have waited to buy it

Also I don't mind there's hardly any QOL Features. What makes Suikoden well Suikoden is that the recruitable characters can offer QOL features. The game rewards players who go out of their way to do and get everything. I got a character that let's me fast travel and to get no random Encounters, I found a accessory that massively decreases Random Encounters. Pair that with a character in the Attendant spot that decreases Random Encounters, I had no Random Encounters but only Boss fights. And when I want to grind I takes those off. Same with the running speed. You can get this accessory that's makes you faster. Pair that up with a character that's in the Attendant spot, you get a massive boost in speed

I think the only QOL Features they should have included was where you can save anywhere on the World Map and there should have been 3x Battle Speed

The bad reviews are from Tourists and I love how the game rewards you when you actually want to put in the time instead of freely handing it out like most JRPGs do nowadays

Also it's was refreshing to see how each Boss Battle has unique aspects to them so you have to figure them out.

I especially enjoy the fact that treasure chest appears in battles and you can hit them to get the items.

I loved the soundtrack especially during the second half

I was able to get all the characters and the best ending. It's a Testament to how much better as a gamer I got (I started gaming during my Junior Year of Highschool in the early 2000s) I still don't play racing games since I suck at them

I'm planning on going back to Eiyuden Chronicles and doing Post Game and 💯 everything that the game has to offer and get all the Achievements. Same with Unicorn Overlord

But right now Eiyuden Chronicles is my GOTY

It just has a feel of a PS1/PS2 JRPGs which I really miss

Another Game that has that PS1/PS2 Feel is Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I also felt some of the character designs to be a bit generic looking (kind of mobile artstyle) and there's hardly any sexy fanservice like we got with Jeanne in the Suikoden games

Yes there's hardly any sexy fanservice in the Suikoden Franchise but there are a few characters like Jeanne that were sexy
That’s one thing I wish they would have added… saving on the world map.
Far East of Eden does that too.

Last edited:
That’s one thing I wish they would have added… saving on the world map.
Far East of Eden does that too.

Yeah when comes to QOL, all I want is being able to save in towns/world map anywhere. And changing the speed of battles to 2 to 3 times

But I like the fact that they just don't hand you those QOL freely

There's no easy mode and it's been awhile since some bosses in a JRPG actually gave me trouble

Last edited:
Started this up today. Its got issues but I'm enjoying it so far.

Then I went and read a few reviews on the Xbox store. Multiple people claiming this is overheating their console and possibly bricking it. Anyone heard of this? Is it fixed?

Feels like I should just bail and play this in a few months.

Sampled it on GP and it is totally my kind of game. I prefer playing on Switch whenever possible, but the Switch version is terrible I'm told, so guess I'll have to get it on PS5. Oh, and the prequel is suspiciously hard to find physically at a good price these days, for some reason.

bosnianpie

Let me know how bad the Switch version is

I heard that version is particularly bad and buggy

About 5 hours in on the Switch Lite, completed the prologue and recruited the first couple of characters. I'm really enjoying it so far.

A trained eye can probably notice that it's not optimized for the Switch and every loading sceeen takes a couple of seconds, but no major flaws or crashes yet. Worth mentioning that I'm not very picky with the performance of games like this.

About 5 hours in on the Switch Lite, completed the prologue and recruited the first couple of characters. I'm really enjoying it so far.

A trained eye can probably notice that it's not optimized for the Switch and every loading sceeen takes a couple of seconds, but no major flaws or crashes yet. Worth mentioning that I'm not very picky with the performance of games like this.

I love my Switch but I try to get actual good ports/versions of third party games. The ones I don't buy on Switch, I just play on Steamdeck

BTW I consider 13 Sentinals Aegis Rim and Unicorn Overlord to be fantastic games to play on the Switch. They both run great on it

Top Bottom