• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electrek Review 17 Hyundai IONIQ EV is the new efficiency champion end of Prius Era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
https://electrek.co/2017/04/05/hyundai-ioniq-ev-review/

The Electrek Review: 2017 Hyundai IONIQ EV is the new efficiency champion, end of Prius era?

2017-hyundai-ioniq-ev-17.jpg

Last month I had the opportunity to travel to beautiful Durham, North Carolina on Hyundai’s dime to check out the new IONIQ EV and hybrids. The IONIQ, you’ll recall, is a 3 car strategy from Hyundai aimed at the high-efficiency vehicle market traditionally dominated by Toyota’s Prius line.

Though the Prius-beating 58 mpg and nifty new 12V battery replacement technology in the IONIQ Hybrid was impressive, it’s the IONIQ Electric we’re all here to talk about. I spent the bulk of my time driving the EV – and boy was I pleasantly surprised…

Here’s a rundown of the bottom-line IONIQ EV spec numbers we’ve covered over the past year:

28kWh battery (vs. 60kWh in Chevy Bolt or recently discontinued Model S base model)

136 MPGe combined (highest for a production car, ever) – 150 city, 122 highway
125 mile EV range

88kw (110HP) Interior-Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor

215 lb-ft torque – not bad for Prius-class drivers

6.6kW Onboard charger/AC Inverter. 28A@240V. Compare to Tesla’s 40-80A or Bolt’s 32A
100kW CSS DC charging. The fastest outside of Tesla’s current 150kW (and 100kW Kia Soul EV Chademo)

$29,500 base price. That brings real price down to $22,000 after the Federal tax credit and less than $20K in states with additional incentives like CA, CO and NY

Zapages

I saw the car the other day... It was really surprising...

Also the new Prius is ugly as anything, but the Prius Prime looks better than the out going Prius.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest loser IMO is the Leaf. That thing barely gets over 100 miles for a similar price tag. This thing (in theory) goes way further on a full charge.

I am in the market to buy a car. I was eyeing Hyundai Sonata like a hawk, until this showed up. I may buy this car because the cost saving is tremendous!

Breakdown for the Ultimate edition ($ CDN)

Cost of vehicle + tax = $50,000
Government Incentive (Ontario) = - $14,000
Fuel saving (for 7 years @32,000km/yr) = - $17,000

Total cost of car after 7 years = $19,000!!

That's just unbeatable even if I buy a used 2015 Sonata Ultimate with 60k driven. And if you don't care about the safety features or sunroof, you're getting an even GREATER DEAL. Even though I have reserved Model 3, this is a very tempting deal for at least the next year or two (or 7!).

Just need to figure out what the charging scenario is and how can I get it installed, or which level 2 station to buy at home.

I've been looking into this car as well. Really impressive from an engineering standpoint. It has an almost identical range to the new VW E-Golf, but achieves that range with a 28kw battery while VW does it with a 33kw battery. And yeah, as mentioned above the true cost of ownership is incredibly cheap for a new vehicle.

I've been looking into this car as well. Really impressive from an engineering standpoint. It has an almost identical range to the new VW E-Golf, but achieves that range with a 28kw battery while VW does it with a 33kw battery. And yeah, as mentioned above the true cost of ownership is incredibly cheap for a new vehicle.

Yeah, my commute to work is 100km daily, so this will be a perfect drive to work, with enough juice to stroll the city. I may even request installation of electric chargers at work since they are so environmentally conscious company. Level 3 charging as standard is beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom