• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous Standard Beta (Starting Jul 29th - $75)

Mik2121

Should be there, go to a station and see "where it is" I believe. Don't remember exactly but that's what I was told!

That's correct, we'll get those goodies on Tuesday.
Is it now or next week!?

Here is the "official" thread for that HUD color tweak:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73419

And here is a video of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geMcu6xIifI

Looks incredible. I think I'll be doing this tweak now and then just to mix it up, maybe every time I buy a new ship!
I'm trying that now. The orange is AWESOME but on the Oculus it can be a bit hard to read. I heard blues are easier to read (something related to the screen) so I might change it to that and test.

Wreav

Banned
We've all gotten the free Eagle, but there are some more goodies that we haven't gotten yet.

• Exclusive pack of ship paint jobs
• A ‘day one’ ship decal
• A digital players guide
• A digital concept art book
• Plus loads more digital goodies to be announced over the coming weeks.

Mik2121

We've all gotten the free Eagle, but there are some more goodies that we haven't gotten yet.

• Exclusive pack of ship paint jobs
• A ‘day one’ ship decal
• A digital players guide
• A digital concept art book
• Plus loads more digital goodies to be announced over the coming weeks.

Ah gotcha. I will go and pick up my Eagle then!

Is it now or next week!?

I'm trying that now. The orange is AWESOME but on the Oculus it can be a bit hard to read. I heard blues are easier to read (something related to the screen) so I might change it to that and test.
Sounds like that'll fix my one Rift related issue. Sweet.

Orgun

So i accidentally Interdicted a player while bounty hunting, I tried to run away after getting owned. Damn he was persistent. Bravo CMDR Fujor.

http://youtu.be/bZmp5JhkYAE

Edit: Also my new bounty hunting ship. My trader is a Type 6

LUrp3iO.png

metalhead79

Neo Member
Ghetto? I absolutely love mine. Its part of what pushed me to an X52.

I've read there's lot of issues, such as text being hard to read and the Rift itself being a pain to get up and running.
I want to get a DK2, but was thinking a trackIR instead because of this until the consumer Rift comes out.

Am I just reading exaggerated stuff?

I've read there's lot of issues, such as text being hard to read and the Rift itself being a pain to get up and running.
I want to get a DK2, but was thinking a trackIR instead because of this until the consumer Rift comes out.

Am I just reading exaggerated stuff?
Eeeehhhh yeah it can be a pain, sometimes. If everything is set up just like the Rift wants, it ain't hard. If one goddamn thing is different from what it wants, its a pain.
Text in Elite is iffy, though I guess making it blue instead of orange will supposedly help. Haven't done it yet, still just messin around in Combat Training till the game is out.

But holy shot is it amazing, actually looking around to find your mark. Greatest shit ever.

That being said it is still very much prototype hardware. Rift will become perfect once it becomes plug and play easy. That's my only gripe personally. It is just intended for devs right now.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Eeeehhhh yeah it can be a pain, sometimes. If everything is set up just like the Rift wants, it ain't hard. If one goddamn thing is different from what it wants, its a pain.
Text in Elite is iffy, though I guess making it blue instead of orange will supposedly help. Haven't done it yet, still just messin around in Combat Training till the game is out.

But holy shot is it amazing, actually looking around to find your mark. Greatest shit ever.

That being said it is still very much prototype hardware. Rift will become perfect once it becomes plug and play easy. That's my only gripe personally. It is just intended for devs right now.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'd gathered. I've seen youtube videos of Elite with trackIR and it looks like that'll be a good fill in until the consumer Rifts are out.

Buggy Loop

I purchased the viper canada flag paint job but i fear it wont inspire too much fear in my opponments lol ;)
/launches missiles
Oh im sorry.

Are you a developer? If you answered no, the DK2 isn't meant for you.

Negative ghost rider. While not for everybody it's not just for developers. It really is amazing to experience but I think it's great in sessions.

I don't use it explicitly but I am so glad I have it to play with every now and then.

Cruising around in the DK2 after a few hot cider whiskey drinks while blasting Pink Floyd is pretty majestic. "Is there anybody out there?"

So, one thing I'm worried about is PvP. Is playing the game trying to be peaceful just a game of being constantly exploded by other players? Or if I stay off illegal crap, is it usually not worth it to others to attack me?

Wreav

Banned
So, one thing I'm worried about is PvP. Is playing the game trying to be peaceful just a game of being constantly exploded by other players? Or if I stay off illegal crap, is it usually not worth it to others to attack me?

After a month, and once you move out of core systems, you'll VERY rarely see another human.

Negative ghost rider. While not for everybody it's not just for developers. It really is amazing to experience but I think it's great in sessions.

I think you're confusing the concept of VR with the technology enabling you to experience VR. It's easy to romanticize the DK2 for what it enables us to feel. Is the DK2 a serviceable way to dip your toes into VR? Absolutely. Is it intended to be an easy to use, mass market, glitch free experience? Not in the least. It's to enable developers like FD program their games like Elite to use such technology so that when the tech catches up, the experience is one that we can truly dive into for hours, and not have to squint and lean and perform INI wizardry to enjoy.

Any consumer today is better served buying a 1440p or 120hz monitor over the DK2. However, once CV1 is out, you're hear my tune change instantly.

Klyka

Banned

There is barely PvP and you can always play solo care bear mode.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

There is barely PvP and you can always play solo care bear mode.

Solo mode is how you can avoid pirates and killers. Unfortunately that also keeps the good people out of your game too as solo mode is just you and the NPC's.

You can also join a PvE group and then you play only with them. There is a large one on the official forums now, I think it's called the Mobius group?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362

After the 16th if I find myself getting slaughtered by pilots on a regular basis then I may end up joining this Mobius gang.

Mik2121

Alright guys, am I doing something wrong or..?

I'm flying around on my sidewinder (how the hell can I find my Eagle!?) and when I try to "safely disengage" near a station it just makes a cancel noise. The station (already tried two) has a symbol that is similar to the "!" symbol but I don't know if that just happens to be the design.

Either way, I'm at my correct speed and alignment, and also the correct distance. It has never happened before and I've played this game for a while...

Also, playing on the Oculus Rift and trying now different colors. For one, this guy:

while having a bit of an 80s neon look to it, is already fairly easier to read. I will try more!

AJLma

This game is legit fun now. I've always enjoyed playing it through all of the beta phases, but as of 2.03 I feel like I can hop in and play this game for good casual fun.

I haven't played as a miner yet, but exploring and bounty hunting feel like they have a proper progression now. Hopefully they have some major surprises they're saving for release.

I'm flying around on my sidewinder (how the hell can I find my Eagle!?) and when I try to "safely disengage" near a station it just makes a cancel noise. The station (already tried two) has a symbol that is similar to the "!" symbol but I don't know if that just happens to be the design.

Either way, I'm at my correct speed and alignment, and also the correct distance. It has never happened before and I've played this game for a while...

Make sure your Hyperdrive button is mapped correctly, there are like 3 buttons for hyperdrive, which is really annoying, but one of them is just a general engage/disengage hyperdrive button.

Also, to find your Eagle to go a station then enter the Shipyard. It'll show the System your stored ship is in, go to that system then go to the System Map and look for the ship icon.

metalhead79

Neo Member

Also, playing on the Oculus Rift and trying now different colors. For one, this guy:

while having a bit of an 80s neon look to it, is already fairly easier to read. I will try more!

How is the image quality? I have read it's blurry. Is that hyperbole from guys with 4k monitors or actually true?
I game on a 27 " 1080p monitor, for reference.

Nice to know it shouldn't be a big slaughterfest. I'm not too annoyed by occasional death by player, but thinking back to Runescape where entering a certain area was basically a 75% chance of getting murdered it wasn't too fun.

Jedi2016

Either way, I'm at my correct speed and alignment, and also the correct distance. It has never happened before and I've played this game for a while...!
I came across this last night. The controls for FSD can now be split to bind separate controls for supercruise and hyperdrive. By default, the game puts your current bindings on hyperdrive only, so it has no control over supercruise (the error sound is because it thinks you want to jump to hyperspace, but you don't have another system targeted).

You can still set controls to the old method of using a single button for both of them, which is what I'm doing now until I can make some new VoiceAttack bindings for hyperdrive, then I'll leave the joystick control for just supercruise.

Mik2121

This game is legit fun now. I've always enjoyed playing it through all of the beta phases, but as of 2.03 I feel like I can hop in and play this game for good casual fun.

I haven't played as a miner yet, but exploring and bounty hunting feel like they have a proper progression now. Hopefully they have some major surprises they're saving for release.

Make sure your Hyperdrive button is mapped correctly, there are like 3 buttons for hyperdrive, which is really annoying, but one of them is just a general engage/disengage hyperdrive button.

Also, to find your Eagle to go a station then enter the Shipyard. It'll show the System your stored ship is in, go to that system then go to the System Map and look for the ship icon.

I came across this last night. The controls for FSD can now be split to bind separate controls for supercruise and hyperdrive. By default, the game puts your current bindings on hyperdrive only, so it has no control over supercruise (the error sound is because it thinks you want to jump to hyperspace, but you don't have another system targeted).

You can still set controls to the old method of using a single button for both of them, which is what I'm doing now until I can make some new VoiceAttack bindings for hyperdrive, then I'll leave the joystick control for just supercruise.

Thanks guys. I went through the controls after posting that and changed the key binding. Now it works like it used to! Awesome! :)

How is the image quality? I have read it's blurry. Is that hyperbole from guys with 4k monitors or actually true?
I game on a 27 " 1080p monitor, for reference.
Image quality is worse than your average 1080p monitor. I have 2 22" 1080p monitors and yet I just can't get out of the Oculus Rift. It's not about image quality and I know probably everybody here would agree with me. The worst thing about Oculus Rift and ED is not being able to read the damn menus, but after changing to this one:

Now I don't have any problem reading anything. It's kind of ugly but I got used to it in just 20 mins of gameplay.
Otherwise, the feeling of actually being inside your ship driving around in space just can't be beaten. If you have some flight stick and everything else already, and you think you will play tons of Elite, then an Oculus Rift could be quite an interesting purchase.
I do other stuff with the Oculus so I wanted to purchase it anyway, but lots of people here bought it mainly for ED and probably all of them will tell you it was a purchase they don't regret at all.

I think you're confusing the concept of VR with the technology enabling you to experience VR. It's easy to romanticize the DK2 for what it enables us to feel. Is the DK2 a serviceable way to dip your toes into VR? Absolutely. Is it intended to be an easy to use, mass market, glitch free experience? Not in the least. It's to enable developers like FD program their games like Elite to use such technology so that when the tech catches up, the experience is one that we can truly dive into for hours, and not have to squint and lean and perform INI wizardry to enjoy.

Any consumer today is better served buying a 1440p or 120hz monitor over the DK2. However, once CV1 is out, you're hear my tune change instantly.

I agree with all your points. But I was commenting more on the "only for developers". I'm not a developer. And I'd easily pay $350 for a Rift than a 1440p monitor. I have a 1080p 27" and a 60" 1080p that I play on. I'd much rather wait for the price drop on monitors honestly.

There's no question that the DK2 is not consumer friendly, but it's enthusiast friendly and there's a lot more to experience than just ED.

That said, if a person hasn't bought one by now, they probably don't want one that badly ... I'd just wait for CV1 to launch in 8-12 months. But I'd probably still buy the DK2 if I had the extra cash. I have not regretted the purchase. Plus, I'll be able to hang on to it for years to come and think "ha, that's how it all started". Probably put it on a moosehead's face over my LED Holographic fireplace in 2030.

Just got an X-52 and this. It should be here Sunday. Really looking forward to playing this. After watching Cosmos and then digging into the many awesome things that physics can do, I'm stoked to be able to explore a galaxy. Hopefully it's fun. In the meantime, how are the m+kb controls?

Jedi2016

The route pathing seems kind of jacked up right now. Keeps wanting to send me on these long gallivanting routes all over the sector through 60-70 jumps to move only 30-40ly. Is it trying to do an "economical" route? It's like it's trying to do a lot of really short jumps (2-4ly) instead of larger ones (8-10). I'll have to fiddle with it some more. It's exactly what I wanted out of a pathing system, but it does need to be a bit smarter on how it chooses the route.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The route pathing seems kind of jacked up right now. Keeps wanting to send me on these long gallivanting routes all over the sector through 60-70 jumps to move only 30-40ly. Is it trying to do an "economical" route? It's like it's trying to do a lot of really short jumps (2-4ly) instead of larger ones (8-10). I'll have to fiddle with it some more. It's exactly what I wanted out of a pathing system, but it does need to be a bit smarter on how it chooses the route.

Are you remembering to select 'Fastest route' in the nave pane?

Jedi2016

Are you remembering to select 'Fastest route' in the nave pane?
No.. lol.

I did do that, and at first it didn't change anything, but after a jump or to I remapped it and it sorted out. Economical doesn't really matter when you're doing long hauls and have a fuel scoop. :)

elyetis

Having some pretty big bug with the mission/transaction.

First one of my mission changed without reason ( to another system, name etc.. ) only to come back to what it originally was after a few jump to the new destination.

Now I just took 2 mission, I have their item in the cargo.... only for my mission not to show in the transaction menu, knowing one of the two system involved I tried every station there, nop, can't complet my mission in any of them.... but the item in my cargo can't be droped since they are part of a mission...

HelloMeow

Now I just took 2 mission, I have their item in the cargo.... only for my mission not to show in the transaction menu, knowing one of the two system involved I tried every station there, nop, can't complet my mission in any of them.... but the item in my cargo can't be droped since they are part of a mission...

I've been getting that too. It helps if you quit to the menu and start the game.

Man I can't wait for Tuesday. My X52 should be here in time to really get to enjoy this game. More I see the cooler the game is, as long as I dont end up just fuel scooping suns all day haha.

Marc

I caved in and pre-ordered this the other day, I really wish they stuck to their promise of offline gaming and no DRM so I wouldn't feel like such a sell out. :(

The training mode though, my god, in the Rift DK2 I just sit there and watch the ice/rocks fly by... its such an amazing experience that before I have even played the game I feel like I got my moneys worth. Paid a lot more for crappy games in the past.

I am usually a dog fighter type in these kind of games although I haven't played a space sim for what feels like 10 years. However I really just want to see the most beautiful things in the universe they have come up with. Will see what I prefer, very excited to play this fully.

I ordered a cheap flight stick, should arrive before the release of the game. Will help the immersion more.

Are there any FAQ's or guides that people would recommend, the one on the official forum seems a bit bare.

Mik2121

Yesterday I spent 2 hours to make my way from the star where I started, to SOL. I reached the Abraham Lincoln station, got inside the hangar and went to sleep.
Today I decided to do some tasks and found a mission that asks you to bring some stuff to the Hutton Orbital in Alpha Centaury. I accepted it and now I'm stuck in this 1 hour trip because the station was incredibly far from where you arrive when doing the jump to Alpha Centaury.
Am I missing some way of doing space flight new to the Gamma version or it's just this place that is way too fucking far?
My current speed is 1,600c and slowly increasing...

DrBo42

Yesterday I spent 2 hours to make my way from the star where I started, to SOL. I reached the Abraham Lincoln station, got inside the hangar and went to sleep.
Today I decided to do some tasks and found a mission that asks you to bring some stuff to the Hutton Orbital in Alpha Centaury. I accepted it and now I'm stuck in this 1 hour trip because the station was incredibly far from where you arrive when doing the jump to Alpha Centaury.
Am I missing some way of doing space flight new to the Gamma version or it's just this place that is way too fucking far?
My current speed is 1,600c and slowly increasing...

I'm currently doing just that. It's absurd and I'm tempted to make a thread about it. Should be a way to jump within the system to distances that far.

How much ship customization is there?

You can customize pretty much every aspect of the modules in your ship. Power plant, jump drive, thrusters, shields, power distribution, sensors, fuel tank, life support etc. Then you've got the internal compartments to fit either a shield generator, fuel scoop, cargo racks, refineries, interdiction module, and discovery scanners for exploration. With all that comes power, heat, and mass balancing. Higher mass meaning less jump distance. Livery has multiple paint jobs and decals but not every ship has multiple paint schemes available at the moment. The type of base ship determines how many internal compartments, hardpoints, and utility points are available to fit.

AJLma

Quite a bit so far. They're really starting to fill in the gaps between equipment load outs and ship variety. There's always something to upgrade or swap out and experiment with.

Playing as a Bounty Hunter I've currently stuck with flying an Eagle, which is the long range combat ship, but I've kitted it out with Burst Lasers and a Shotgun-like cannon that lets me take out bigger ships like the Viper and Cobra by superior maneuverability. I think they've added enough that you can try out a ton of different combinations and find what suits your play style.

They've done a really good job of making each ship competent in its own way.

The Adder which they just added sounded like a sort of lame ship at first, but after looking at the specs it seems like it might be a very interesting multi-purpose ship that I'm considering swapping my Eagle out for. Even the starter Sidewinder is a competent ship with its own strengths and weaknesses that can stand up to most of the smaller ships in the game.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Looking forward to the OT for this, so hyped! Finished the combat missions on Friday with my recently purchased X55 Rhino. Can only imagine what it would be like with the Rift.

Mik2121

I'm currently doing just that. It's absurd and I'm tempted to make a thread about it. Should be a way to jump within the system to distances that far..
Yeah, gave up on it. I had 1 hour to finish the mission and at my speed peak I was at around 30mins away with 33 minutes to finish the mission, however as I kept getting closer to the Orbital, my speed kept decreasing and ended up at around 20 mins away from the station with only 19 minutes to go which meant it was already impossible.

Not touching that station ever again, lol.

elyetis

I've been getting that too. It helps if you quit to the menu and start the game.
Yeah first time didn't do anything, but coming back a couple hours later and my missions were back.
I'm guessing it's something dealt server side.

edit : .... happening again today. One mission out of two disapeared, so I logged out and came back, only to have lost the second one too.. guess I should stop doing mission if it's still that unstable. Was hoping to get my mauler ready for mining today. :'(

mandiller

This may have been asked a million times but is the game going to be released on Steam? What are my options for buying it? I haven't followed the development of the game but always wanted the full thing when it was released and I saw it comes out in two days on the 16th.

This may have been asked a million times but is the game going to be released on Steam? What are my options for buying it? I haven't followed the development of the game but always wanted the full thing when it was released and I saw it comes out in two days on the 16th.

I don't believe so, and I doubt it ever will. Basically because of its niche status the players who want it won't care if they get it off steam or not. So selling it on steam (at least at launch) would hurt their profits quite a bit.

Also this
interview with Braben said:
Will you launch the game on Steam?

David Braben: No. We've got to support the game with our own back end anyway, so I don't see the benefit of it.

Well, I would suggest the benefit is 100m users, which is a huge potential audience.

David Braben: Yes, that's true. It's something we would look at, but it would have to then interface with what we're doing, and the two would potentially conflict. We have to provide the back end.

They have alot of systems in place and working well, selling through Steam may add unecessary complications.

However with all that being said it's possible you may see it further down the line, but probaby not until sales slow quite a bit.

Top Bottom