• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Boss Mulls Increasing the Price of Video Games Beyond $70

ProtoByte

Gold Member
Before the outrage mob starts:

I'm not saying you can't increase the price," Wingefors told the site. "But the reality is no one has tried it. If you create an enormous role-playing game, for example, with 100 or 150 hours of gameplay, very polished, and a unique experience, would the consumer be willing to pay more? If they would, they would have more products potentially coming to market. But no one tried it.

"It's something we have been discussing, but we are
currently sticking to the practice of the industry. Would it be that one [company] one day that tries to increase pricing? That remains to be seen.

I think the industry is facing the same problem as all other industries, with inflation and rising costs of game development," Wingefors added. "And it's been hard to increase pricing [in] premium PC/console. The pricing of those products has been the same for many years, which means that the margin to succeed is less, and on top of that, there is a higher cost of capital. Ultimately when you make big investments or games, you need to play with teams you are very confident in, or with IPs you own or control, and have the full financial income.

On top of that, the consumers have more content than ever to choose from. They love to engage in established IPs they've been playing before, which means it's harder to have them trying out new things or new IPs. It's just something we're all facing. It's a reality which we have been adapting to over the past year, and we will continue to adapt to that reality.

GHound

Gold Member
Joke's on them. I already refuse to pay $70.
Kanye West GIF

I'm willing to pay $70 for top tier, huge games. And in other rare cases, smaller titles that happen to be my favorite games/franchises. I am also willing to pay less than that for games I'm not as into, or ones that are older and drop in price with time. I'm also willing to pay more than $70 for special editions with worthwhile add-ons.

demonstr8

The reason people like him are mulling it because more and more companies are being held hostage by Blackrock to implement ESG/DEI into their games which means the teams must get bigger with more employees who don't actually do anything tangible for the game except make it worse AND increase the budget by another 50 million dollars AND the game sells worse than it would have so it's a double whammy of unsustainable political warfare but the cultural marxists have made people believe they must do it or they're racist as people have lost all sense of what is true or what truly matters. This also drives down the price per share of the company which is what they want as it becomes cheaper for Blackrock to buy them out and further consolidate their position.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I have a better idea: decrease the price of games.

You’ll probably have to decrease your expectations

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

It’s hilarious to hear this come from Embracer of all companies. They haven’t been able to produce a game I’d be willing to pay more than $10 for, if that.

They clearly say it’s a hypothetical, if the game in question is a 100+ hour, super polished game.

ZehDon

Sony pushed for USD$70 and got it, even when it didn't make sense and even when it created really weird practices like their pay-for-patches non-sense. Sony proved you can charge more than USD$60. Won't be long before someone proves USD$70 isn't the ceiling - but it won't be Embracer, it'll be a company with a massive game people actually want.

Ozriel

M$FT
The reason people like him are mulling it because more and more companies are being held hostage by Blackrock to implement ESG/DEI into their games which means the teams must get bigger with more employees who don't actually do anything tangible for the game except make it worse AND increase the budget by another 50 million dollars AND the game sells worse than it would have so it's a double whammy of unsustainable political warfare but the cultural marxists have made people believe they must do it or they're racist as people have lost all sense of what is true or what truly matters. This also drives down the price per share of the company which is what they want it cheaper for Blackrock to buy them out and further consolidate their position.

Tinfoil hat Posts like this are even worse that the ‘woke’ stuff you folks complain about. Nobody’s inflating budgets by millions to implement DEI shit.

AAA Games are getting increasingly more expensive to make for very well documented reasons.

Robb

Gold Member
They clearly say it’s a hypothetical, if the game in question is a 100+ hour, super polished game.
Yeah, but for them to make something like that is not hypothetical. It’s unthinkable.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I want 10 hour games with shit graphics with great art direction that makes said shit graphics look amazing with side content with good pacing that turns that 10 hour game into a 25 hour game and offers rewards for playing it multiple times on different difficulties to increase longevity.

And one where I am not bored halfway through. Many thanks.

If they push to increase price then gamers should push to wait for deep sales. It is time to apply the 3rd rule of Acquisition.

As long as it's released on a physical medium so I can sell it if I don't like it, or when I'm finished - sure. I'm willing to pay a lot for good games.

As a digital download? Never ever for any game in the history of forever 🙂

Robb

Gold Member
And that’s fine. So you’re not in any danger of paying them more than $70.
Oh, believe me, I don’t feel like I’m in danger of paying them a dime given their output.

What they’re saying is subjective though. They can easily put out a game stating that it has “100h+ of content” and is “the most polished game we’ve ever made” etc. etc. then smack +$70 on the box.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Before the outrage mob starts:
I like RPGs but when they are that long I tend to lose interest and get angry that they are still dragging on. I would pay more to make the games less bloat-filled. Quality over quantity. If you have a game like he suggests, break it up into DLC.

Tinfoil hat Posts like this are even worse that the ‘woke’ stuff you folks complain about. Nobody’s inflating budgets by millions to implement DEI shit.
I assumed that post was an attempt at satire - if it was serious, I look forward to reading their handwritten 40 page manifesto after their death :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Won’t affect me if they increase prices, I have my own price in my head and will continue to wait for it to reach that before buying. Can’t think of hardly anything I would pay $70 for,

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member

AAA Games are getting increasingly more expensive to make for very well documented reasons.

Diversity / incompetent hires, ethical / DEI departments, among many others, fake consultancy companies expenses, etc.

Yes, budgets are inflated for well-documented reasons like those I mentioned.

To the point: FUCK Embracer.

Last edited:

Filben

Of course they've been discussing it and I bet they've even discussed 100EUR and more. This is neither news nor surprising.

Sony pushed for USD$70 and got it, even when it didn't make sense and even when it created really weird practices like their pay-for-patches non-sense. Sony proved you can charge more than USD$60. Won't be long before someone proves USD$70 isn't the ceiling - but it won't be Embracer, it'll be a company with a massive game people actually want.
How are you making this about Sony when this is about Embracer increasing prices? Sony wasnt even the first to start charging 70.00$ for their games, it was EA. Also, what pay for patches are you talking about? Playstations 60fps updates for the PS5 is free. You mean charging 10.00 for remakes that add content if you have the PS4 version?

Season 3 What GIF by The Lonely Island

Last edited:

Damigos

The fact that a good must be more expensive if its good/polished/long is outrageous.
Songs have the same price everywhere, movies have the same price anywhere.
If something is worth, it will generate profit for its creator, if its not it wont

Euler007

That's how inflation works. The push to 70$ was at the start of the gen, before the crazy inflation hit.

wipeout364

I don’t want it to go up but it’s going to go up soon. With wage increases and costs spiking due to inflation it is a question of when not should.

The problem is that I think people already have so much content to play that there really isn’t much pressure to buy games at release. The heavy discounting that occurs is so common that I suspect raising prices at this moment would have a significant cooling effect on most new game sales.

There are games that could pull it off but not many. COD, GTA, some Sony first party stuff but not many other games. The time to do this is when a new console launch happens and games for it are sparse.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
hmmm... I wonder what that game might be ...

Sonik

The AAA sector of the industry collapsing is not a matter of if anymore but when.

They became like Hollywood, especially Western ones: Bloated, pretentious, generic, creatively bankrupt and obnoxious. I honestly won't miss them

Meanwhile indie devs are inventing a new genre every few years

Pru2u1f.jpeg

Toys R Us flyer from 1996. Factor in inflation by doubling the prices you see here.
The price of games then was exactly why the rental market was so prevalent at the time. I know if I was lucky I'd get maybe 2 or 3 games a year at most. But I could rent a game pretty much every week. And that was common amongst everyone I knew.

I'd wager that if game prices rose any more than they have now, it'll be even less purchases from the general public and the prevalent equivalent of rental or piracy as the general solution for the majority of gamers.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
I have a better idea: decrease the price of games.
They already have using subscriptions services which devalue games already. Look how people cry foul when a brand new game isn't hitting gamepass day one. These companies had dug their own graves years ago.

Top Bottom