• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer TimeSplitters studio Free Radical faces closure

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to people close to Free Radical Design, the Nottingham, UK-based studio has been part of the evaluation and employees have now been notified that it could close.

As required by UK employment law, Plaion – the Embracer division which runs Free Radical – must consult employees for a minimum of 30 days before making any redundancies, including exploring ways of avoiding them.

There remains a possibility that the studio could remain open then, should Embracer receive interest from third parties interested in acquiring it.

However, VGC analysis of LinkedIn and social media shows that, within just the last 24 hours, at least 15 people employed at Free Radical have already published posts saying they’re looking for work.

That includes a lead game designer, senior artist, senior technical artist, game designer and the studio’s IT manager.

Go_Ly_Dow

Passing Rest In Peace GIF by GIPHY Studios 2023

Killjoy-NL

Timesplitters 2 was an amazing game back in the days.

Timesplitters 3 was fun, but stuck in the past.
Haze was trash.

Not sure what else they were doing, but it's not surprising to see this news.
Sucks for those involved, though.

tommycronin

Banned
I played the single player campaign so many times.

They were closed down after Haze, but reformed two years ago to make more Timesplitters.
I didn't even know that. I bought Timesplitters 2 on xbox there recently I really should go play it. Playing it on ps2 years ago with 4 player multitap on that tower level is still unmatched.

There's at least a few spiritual sequels in the works if memory serves and hopefully that fan remake is still doing well, I haven't checked the progress on it in a while, but last I saw it was shaping together nicely.

So many of us get caught in the trap of nostalgia for the name(s) of these forlorn studios that we forget that the people and spirit of most of these studios is a shadow of their former selves and is almost always used as a front from MajorCorp for their current design philosophy in business game design.

Last edited:

Kadve

Iirc the UK has laws that state that you can only mass fire people as part of a downsizing if you absolutely and objectionably cant prove that there are nowhere else you can put them. Thats how most members ended up joining Dambuster last time the studio was shut down and something similar might happen here.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I'd be interested to know how much the owners of Free Radical pocketed when they were taken over...a pretty penny, I'd imagine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought this studio died long time ago. Turns out Embracer brought them back to life a few years ago to make a new Timesplitters game.

Reformation
In May 2021, Embracer Group announced during their 2020–2021 full-year report that Free Radical Design would be reformed as a subsidiary of Deep Silver with the intent of bringing "the much-loved TimeSplitters IP back to life".[18] Key original members of the original Free Radical Design are involved in the reformation including founders Steve Ellis and David Doak. Their studio is based in Nottingham.[19]

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Just ordered an Xbox copy of TimeSplitters 2 off Amazon. Very good condition for $20.

Completely forgot this series existed. God I loved that era of games. Thanks OP.

Hohenheim

Tinesplitters 2 will forever be in my top 10 of all time.

Wouldn't a kickstarter easily fund a new Timesplitters? Seems like there's lots of folks eagerly awaiting a new one.

Rat Rage

MOTHERFUCKERS! Just give us a new Timesplitters already!

Fuck Embracer!

Somebody start a fucking KICKSTARTER RIGHT NOW!

How can such a good franchise NOT be used - it's madness!

Top Bottom