• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem named best-selling artist of the decade, followed by the Beetles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Pink floyd still in the decade charts

pink-floyd-dark-side.jpg

Pink floyd ftw

pink-floyd-backs-5000178.jpg

hermit7

I am actually surprised that Queen is no where to be found on this list. One of the best selling acts of all time.

Kusagari

The Chosen One said:
I'm surprised Beyonce isn't on the list (while Destiny's Child is) considering how omnipresent she's been the last 5-6 years.

She broke away from Destiny's Child in the later part of the decade when CD sales began to slump and iTunes took over. Look at all the CD's high up. All albums released in the early part of the decade.

MIMIC said:
07 Linkin Park 21,421,000
11 Nickelback 19,817,000
18 Kid Rock 17,614,000
46 3 Doors Down 12,551,000
48 Limp Bizkit 12,378,000

Caught me by surprise. I know they all had huge breakthroughs and singles, But wow.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
MIMIC said:
Bestselling Digital Singles of the Decade

1. Flo Rida feat. T-Pain - "Low" - 5,214,000
2. Lady Gaga feat. Colby O'Donis - "Just Dance" - 4,690,000
3. Jason Mraz - "I'm Yours" - 4,619,000
4. Timbaland feat. OneRepublic - "Apologize" - 4,439,000
5. The Black Eyed Peas - "Boom Boom Pow" - 4,349,000
6. Soulja Boy Tell'em - "Crank That" - 4,315,000
7. Lady Gaga - "Poker Face" - 4,200,000
8. Coldplay - "Viva la Vida" - 4,140,000
9. Taylor Swift - "Love Story" - 4,005,000
10. Katy Perry - "Hot N Cold" - 3,945,000

Commence the bitching and moaning!

This part of the list scares me....

As for Eminem, good, two of my favorite albums ever came out this decade by him.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
MIMIC said:
As far as the world-wide best-selling act, it goes down like this apparently (per Wikipedia--certified sales):

1. The Beatles: 230.1 million
2. Elvis Presley: 188.8 million
3. Michael Jackson: 146.1 million

Michael holds the record for best-selling album with "Thriller"...with the far and away sales of 110 million. 2nd place is AC/DC's "Back in Black" with 49 million.

Wait, so more than 2/3 of all Jackson albums sold was Thriller? That number seems unbelievably skewed...

PSGames

DrForester said:
Wait, so more than 2/3 of all Jackson albums sold was Thriller? That number seems unbelievably skewed...

There's a big dispute on that Wikipedia page. It's been overrun by a Beatles and Elvis fan who doesn't particularly care for Michael Jackson. Anyone who tries to correct the sales has been immediately corrected by these rabid fans. Anyway the official number for Michael Jackson from his record label is 750 Million records sold. The Beatles and Elvis are at 1 Billion records sold. MJ will surely catch up in this next decade.

this list is mind boggling and disturbing in many ways......

Nickelback.................. holy shit.. i knew it. eminem, nickelback and linkin park = the u.s.a.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

fuck yeah, lets buy Nickelback..:lol :lol :lol

womfalcs3

Banned
No Strings Attached was HUGE back when I was 14 years-old. You couldn't go a day without hearing about it in school.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Always-honest said:
this list is mind boggling and disturbing in many ways......

Nickelback.................. holy shit.. i knew it. eminem, nickelback and linkin park = the u.s.a.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

fuck yeah, lets buy Nickelback..:lol :lol :lol

A lot of adults like Nickelback. It's really not that big of a deal. I mean, I don't like them at all but who cares? It's easy music to digest so the average person likes it.

And there's nothing :lol :lol about Eminem being on the list. Come on now.

Little surprised to see Linkin Park sold more than Nickelback. Thought it would be the other way around.

Kusagari said:
She broke away from Destiny's Child in the later part of the decade when CD sales began to slump and iTunes took over. Look at all the CD's high up. All albums released in the early part of the decade.

Good observation.

Desperado

PSGames said:
There's a big dispute on that Wikipedia page. It's been overrun by a Beatles and Elvis fan who doesn't particularly care for Michael Jackson. Anyone who tries to correct the sales has been immediately corrected by these rabid fans. Anyway the official number for Michael Jackson from his record label is 750 Million records sold. The Beatles and Elvis are at 1 Billion records sold. MJ will surely catch up in this next decade.

Why do you think so?

eggandI said:
Lil wayne is this decade's 'Pac. :lol
sigh

and eminem has 2 classic albums under his belt, one of which I would consider to be one of the best 10 albums created regardless of genre...that said everything post TES is disappointing....

I'm surprised the stupid masses got one right. Eminem is a great artist who, behind the tough guy exterior, is an intelligent complicated individual that has written some amazing songs.

unomas

Banned
Dave Matthews Band....ugghhhh it's like it's own little cult. Good on Green Day though, been going strong for 15 years now. I thought Timberlake would make an individual appearance somewhere on there, but only the N'sync stuff hit the chart.

Guled

PSGames said:
no, but third place is still good

I'll always smile when thinking back to music of this decade. This isn't one to look back on with a sneer.

It's exciting to look back on how well Britney has done over the course of the decade. Dominant. Her train of success continues to pound on with a steady head of steam, so here's hoping for a few more decades on these decade-end lists! We'd be better off for it.

Calcaneus said:
Damn, N'sync really sold that much, I always thought they were second teir in popularity to the Backstreet Boys.

They were for a time, but by the time No Strings Attached was released, they'd pretty much hit equal billing.

A year earlier, BSB's Millennium had virtually the same sales as No Strings Attached, and each group's follow up did about as well as the other's...though BSB's Black & Blue didn't spark as much buzz as *NSYNC's unforgivably awful Celebrity album.

BSB had a longer stay on top of the perch, which is probably why they're remembered as the preeminent American boyband of that era. They have the better catalog, too.

QuadCore said:
I once though Eminem was a great artist, and he was with Slim Shady and Marshal Matthers LP, but that shit Relapse is the absolute worst. Stop doing this shitty foreign accents. Stop doing general rap about girls and cars and money. Just fliiping stop.

? Im confused... Taking a look at the lyrics to some of his Relapse raps*:

Fe fi fo fum
I think I smell the scent of a placenta
I enter central park its dark its winter in decemba
I see my target with my car and park it and approacha tenda
Young girl by the name of Brenda and I pretend to befriend her

I sit down beside her like a spider hi there girl you mighta
Heard of me before see whore your the girl that ida
Assault and rape and figure why not try to make your pussy wida
Fuck you with an umbrella and open it up while the shits inside ya

I mean... Really are you going to count that as rapping about girls, cars and cash? He parks the car and then rapes the girl... One song you could argue that he does do general rap, Crack A Bottle, but that was leaked and never intended to be a part of the album. :/

Please don't ban me for the vulgarity of this stuff. His words, not mine. Just posting the lyrics.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
PSGames said:
Maybe if the Beatles stop selling completely, but until then, no. There is still a huge marketing machine behind The Beatles. I mean, they have yet to even embrace digital downloads. Sad to say, but just wait until Paul and Ringo die.

Tntnnbltn

MIMIC said:
Bestselling Digital Singles of the Decade

1. Flo Rida feat. T-Pain - "Low" - 5,214,000
2. Lady Gaga feat. Colby O'Donis - "Just Dance" - 4,690,000
3. Jason Mraz - "I'm Yours" - 4,619,000
4. Timbaland feat. OneRepublic - "Apologize" - 4,439,000
5. The Black Eyed Peas - "Boom Boom Pow" - 4,349,000
6. Soulja Boy Tell'em - "Crank That" - 4,315,000
7. Lady Gaga - "Poker Face" - 4,200,000
8. Coldplay - "Viva la Vida" - 4,140,000
9. Taylor Swift - "Love Story" - 4,005,000
10. Katy Perry - "Hot N Cold" - 3,945,000
Bolded tracks have my personal seal of approval. Keep it up, US.

Diablos

Yeah uh, the entire list is absolute garbage. That Eminem has sold over 30 million records in the past ten years alone is so unbelievably disgusting. This list is further proof that the mainstream has gone to complete shit since the mid-90's. If there are any good things on it (i.e. U2, Johnny Cash, Pink Floyd, The Beatles), it doesn't really matter as they established themselves decades ago -- and that would be cool if they were among good bands and artists, but they aren't, so it kind of cheapens the whole thing. Like an eclectic mixtape gone bad, or something.

I will remember this decade fondly as one where I really branched out and discovered to a lot of different things that profoundly shaped the way I listen, and for the better. Fuck this shit.

bigosc2k

Banned
QuadCore said:
I once though Eminem was a great artist, and he was with Slim Shady and Marshal Matthers LP, but that shit Relapse is the absolute worst. Stop doing this shitty foreign accents. Stop doing general rap about girls and cars and money. Just fliiping stop.

Relapse is alright but Encore was the shitty one

MrPliskin

Banned
Good to see Em' selling so well.

Also good to see Maraih didn't sell half of what he did. Makes Obsessed that much more entertaining. Genius on Em's part.

Diablos said:
Yeah uh, the entire list is absolute garbage. That Eminem has sold over 30 million records in the past ten years alone is so unbelievably disgusting. This list is further proof that the mainstream has gone to complete shit since the mid-90's. If there are any good things on it (i.e. U2, Johnny Cash, Pink Floyd, The Beatles), it doesn't really matter as they established themselves decades ago -- and that would be cool if they were among good bands and artists, but they aren't, so it kind of cheapens the whole thing. Like an eclectic mixtape gone bad, or something.

I will remember this decade fondly as one where I really branched out and discovered to a lot of different things that profoundly shaped the way I listen, and for the better. Fuck this shit.

What?

The list is based on sales dude, how in the hell can it be "garbage" when it is factual information? Really confused here.

Also, why is it disgusting that Eminem has sold so many albums? Especially when the majority of his records deviate so much from the normal "mainstream" artists persona. If anything, it's encouraging that people will still buy shit that isn't just Dr Seuss over a bass heavy beat.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Operations said:
Didn't Madonna de-throne the Beatles a couple of years ago? Is this a different metric of sorts or what am I missing?
:lol :lol No. Maybe in most number one somethings, but that's probably it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Toy Soldier said:
It's exciting to look back on how well Britney has done over the course of the decade. Dominant. Her train of success continues to pound on with a steady head of steam, so here's hoping for a few more decades on these decade-end lists! We'd be better off for it.

You HAVE to be a joke character at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom