• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulation, the Law, and You (YouTube Video)

sol_bad

Games(and movies) older than 20-25 years should be free anyway.

I don't agree with this at all. I agree that after 120-150 years or so things should be in the public domain but not after just 20-25 years.
People put their blood, sweat and tears into these projects and they deserve to earn money for a long time. Or the production company that funded the project deserves to profit for taking a chance.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
We have a winner.

Instead of an adulting conversation on the subject, we just have to put up with sanctimonious lecturing from people who clearly think their shit smells better than everyone else.
Yeah, this.

Lecturing people about this is old. The laws around illegal sharing of ROMs and ISOs are pretty clear. We all know that if we were to follow the law by the letter, "can't afford it = you don't get to play it" is the only answer.

Still. There's many facets to this.
For example: many old games were sold as physical media. You weren't just buying the game, but a physical package with a cartridge, box, manual, etc. This is all lost with a ROM. It's sorta like saying that taking a picture of the Mona Lisa is tantamount to stealing the painting - but you just have an image of the thing, not the physical thing in its limited quantity. It can be a perfectly shot, perfectly lighted, high resolution picture of the painting; you could have it printed on canvas and hang it on your wall for personal use. It's still not the painting, and selling it for money would not be like selling the original painting. It's still not the thing you'd have to pay millions to have in its original state. And even paying those millions wouldn't get a nickel in Leonardo's pockets.
Of course, pictures of the painting can be reproduced in books - after paying for rights. So there IS a way to get your official reproduction. It's still a reproduction, though.

In the case of games it's more complicated because it can be argued that the code IS the product. Services like the Virtual Console, GOG and the like are based on this concept. The physical stuff originally sold with the game is not what's important. So making, sharing and using copies of the code is literally theft. Still, how is that different from borrowing a book, DVD, or CD? Am I stealing there? Typing an entire published book in your word processor and uploading it to your son's e-reader is like lending the book, or stealing it?

The basic problem here is that the availability of digital copies of all kinds of content has made copyright laws very different, and much more complicated, since the days when everything was physical.

This of course isn't to justify myself. I'll emulate ROMs of games I can't get and play by any other means. Yeah, you could pay loads of money for an original cart, but there's stuff that's so rare the current owner would never even let you put your eyes on it, let alone sell it.

Katsura

I don't give a shit about that particular law. If a game is not readily available to purchase, i have no qualms breaking that law by downloading a rom. In some cases, the rom is actually better than the legit product - Final Fantasy IX on pc comes to mind. I've purchased that so i have no moral issue downloading the psx rom and emulating that for a better experience

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
GENNiLV.jpg

A decent Fire Emblem game – $199.95

1AT0rL6.png

L3z5dVs.png

The preceding assortment of randomly-chosen totally-unrelated items – $186.89

Which way, western man?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
GENNiLV.jpg

A decent Fire Emblem game – $199.95

1AT0rL6.png

L3z5dVs.png

The preceding assortment of randomly-chosen totally-unrelated items – $186.89

Which way, western man?
Don't buy. Don't download. Contemplate existence and regret your choices that led you here.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
That’s a pretty weak excuse? There are a lot of ways to play old video games like actually finding the software and hardware to play them properly.
So is expecting every person out there that wants to enjoy their hobby to spend an abhorrent amount of money to do so.

Yeah because that’s what people that pirate games tell themselves to justify there actions but there is a lot of truth to it.
Emulation in itself is fine it’s stealing the ROMS that’s not cool.....and you have to admit yourself most people that use emulators pirate ROMS . Not everyone but a lot of them do.
I'll tell you every day I'm a pirate; it's not ONLY for preservation purposes. Here's how I justify my actions:

1) I find it incredibly anti consumer to not let me demo a product, if you're going to give me ANY hassle WHAT SO EVER on returning the product. We live in a modern age, and Steam has already proven that making returns, within reason, simple, is good for the customer, and will come to your defense when other products threaten it (Epic Games).
2) Average consumers have a misconception that not only hardware, but the hardware media used to deliver software will last forever. It will not, everything decays. Just because it pushes 1's and 0's and beeps and boops doesn't make it impervious to degradation and erosion. Thinking otherwise is ludacris; you should ALWAYS think about how long something will last before purchasing said item
Even your car only will last a certain amount of time
3) Understandably, companies don't maintain their original product after it has become obsolete; pirating communities aim to bring modern compatibility to legacy products
4) Preservation
Why you picking random games that are only expensive now because the sold like shit and not too many copies are available.
I bet you never played Team Buddies.
Why are you only picking games that are cheap or have been re-released through IP holders?
Why are you only picking games that have mainstream notoriety?
Why are you only picking games that you enjoy?
This is a shitty rationalization for people breaking the law to play something by appealing to some kind of moral construct which functions on an entitlement mindset where they not only lie to themselves for justification, but also to others as if they're doing the industry a favor.. It's total bullshit.
I dunno, a buddy of mine from high school owns his own game studio (Now churning out VR Games full time! Congrats to him) and he doesn't mind pirating at all

His thoughts are the more eyes that get on my product, the more people may become excited for it, or be excited for his new product

The fact of the matter is, companies can 100% secure their software to a point to where it'd be incredibly difficult to pirate; not that it wouldn't happen at some point, but it would take a LONG time
The problem is, doing so costs a LOT of money. Large game developers don't want to foot that bill (Especially on products that sell for such a limited time), but investors want a secured investment. So, they go grab bull shit leased DRM software like Denuvo to make investors happy
That's it, there's nothing more to it.
Tons of business or enterprise level software you can pirate, don't get me wrong, but since they actually want to secure their product (Since it's going to be more long term) they constantly update and change their DRM, and if they are successfully pirated, most of the time their functionality is severely limited

Not only this, but some games aren't released in certain territories, or with HEAVILY modified content. So, people will buy the game in their country, but then PIRATE it for better compatibility or the original story. Most pirates I know are actually these people, and are the most common I run into
Fact is these games are preserved, people actually own them, people have backed them up who own them, they are in the hands of private collectors, they are in the hands of ACTUAL preservationists. Reality is the ones engaging in the practices discussed in this thread are not owners, they're pirates trying to act like the moral saviors of gamings history when people who have actually shelled out money on these games are the real ones preserving its past.
You're missing the point of preservation; it's not to keep a private collection like some Scrooge McDuck of a hobby

Public libraries of books didn't start because some dude locked away the Bible and a bunch of other books away from the public.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is $700? That doesn't give you the right to pirate and play it. There's limited copies of it and the source code is lost? That doesn't give you the right to pirate it. These games are well taken care of, they don't need any intervention from the likes of scummy snake oil salesmen appealing to some kind of moral high ground.
I wouldn't disagree with your statement here. However, source code for games is closed, so if you WERE to obtain the source code and distribute it, you would be in violation of laws.
In fact, distributing source code is more egregious in the eyes of the law then distributing pirated content

Fuck, there's Discords for pirating and all Discord does is shut down the server; no reporting to authorities or anything. Distribute source code and I bet it'd be another story (And people who distribute illegally sourced source code do so through very strict channels)

Though, I would say pirates are the complete opposite of snake oil salesmen; to appeal to that moral high ground you mention, we're the one pointing out the salesman is scummy and showing how you can source his exact product for demoing or the fact that he's not securing his product. If you leave your product to where you can go to any street corner and get it for free, you 100% deserve having your shit stolen.

Lock your doors.
This is a pay to play industry and it doesn't matter how old or rare something is, if you can't afford it in its real form you have no right or entitlement to it regardless of your reasoning. This is fake concern to perpetuate illegal activities for something well in hand by those financially invested.
We left the arcade mentality on gaming a while ago
I don't pump in a quarter each time I boot up Kakarot, they wrap that up into a 1 time fee now, which has been self regulated to be $60

If I bought the hardware and software, but it's now legacy, what the hell is the problem with me CONVENIENTLY using those products?
If it's legacy, and the company isn't maintaining or selling the product currently, what's wrong with me experiencing the products once it's become legacy?
The one thing I have learned in working in IT for so long, is that if people can find a loop hole in a system, they're going to use it, be it maliciously or not
Working in IT, I can FIRMLY state that if someone can find a loop hole in a system, they're going to use it, regardless of malicious intent. People who say those people aren't morally grounded usually are using that in defense of not knowing how to do said thing they would completely take advantage of, outside of thinking something like this will happen if you download a ROM of Golden Axe

DESTROYA

WOW CALM YOUR TITS

team buddy is not a random game

the game itself is a cult hit in my country and my favorite game ever
Thats fantastic , but calm down your spazzy ass you seem ready to bust a nut defending the game and a bit of a drama queen.
So stealing something is the answer to something not too easily attainable and grossly overpriced?
I wish it worked that way with everything in life.
But I’m done hear I’ve said what I said and sticking with it, I’ll just finish off buy saying I’m not against emulation just the pirating of games that generally goes along with the emulation scene.
Not saying every “preservationist” is pirating games but the ugly truth is a lot of people emulating games are.
Have a great day guys.

RealGassy

Banned
I don't agree with this at all. I agree that after 120-150 years or so things should be in the public domain but not after just 20-25 years.
People put their blood, sweat and tears into these projects and they deserve to earn money for a long time. Or the production company that funded the project deserves to profit for taking a chance.
Patents last for 20 years, and that works out just fine.
No person lives 120-150 years, and most people working on games do not see a single dime other than their salary. Hell, most of the team gets laid off right after a game is done.

Production company that funded the project deserves a profit for taking a chance? You mean Disney rereleasing 27-30 year old NES roms for 5$ a pop?
Bullshit arguments all around.
Re-releasing, remastering, repackaging and selling old ROMS is EXACT opposite of taking a chance.

I ain't giving a single dime for a game older than 25years, shitty NES, SNES roms, etc, just ain't happening.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I, for one, have never violated any laws out of convenience or being cheap or whatever and certainly never would. My 100% full legal original copies of games help me sleep better than horse tranquilizers. I even learned Japanese to play original copies of games only released in Greatto Nippon unlike you baka gaijin playing your transphobic fan translations.

Emulator? More like pooplater.

VulcanRaven

The truth is the Copyright should last only 20-30 years. No more.
It single handedly solves all the issues and clears all the gray areas.

Games before 2000, or 1995 should more or less be in the public domain already.

Imagine paying money for shitty old NES, SNES ROMS, etc. And the ridiculous prices Nintendo charges for them, etc.
I don't think that would be a good thing. The copyright should last much more than that. Imagine making a game that makes a lot of money and then it goes to public domain after 20 years.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
So stealing something is the answer to something not too easily attainable and grossly overpriced?

Call it semantics if you want, but piracy isn’t actually the same thing as stealing.

If you steal a car from someone, that person doesn’t have a car anymore. You download software for free, the only thing that could be considered a “loss” is the purely-hypothetical profits that the rights holders might have gotten in exchange for one copy of their software.

Of course, there is no guarantee the person would’ve paid for a copy, and even less of a guarantee that the person would’ve purchased that software specifically from the people who made it as opposed to buying it from someone selling codes secondhand or whatnot.

Pretty much every game on the planet has been cracked or will be cracked (except, of course, for Shrek Super Slam, Bookworm Adventures 2, and Handball 17, which are all uncrackable) and yet videogames still somehow make a profit. In fact, video games continue to grow as an industry despite a fast-growing interest in emulations, cracks, torrents, and overall piracy.

One has to wonder, what is the harm?

RealGassy

Banned
I don't think that would be a good thing. The copyright should last much more than that. Imagine making a game that makes a lot of money and then it goes to public domain after 20 years.
Such as?

I'm sure many patents would still make a lot of money long after they have expired.
I'm not going to argue on behalf of big companies and corportations. It's simply not in public interest for copyright to last longer than 20-25 years, it just isn't.

Everyone is a temporarily embarrassed millionaire these days.
Look the shitty pixelated platformer shovelware game you made in Unity is not going to become a viral hit meme among youtubers raking you mad cash 20 years down the line. It's just not going to happen.

Last edited:

Reon

I love these threads so much, it always devolves into the same things. People trying to justify their piracy while at the same time others are stuffing their faces with corporate boot.

Downloading ROMs when you don't own the game is piracy, through and through. Trying to say it's anything else is foolish, you're not trying to "preserve gaming history!!1!" by downloading "MEGA NES GAME DUMP 1001 GAMES.zip" from MegaSpicyGamer.com, you're just being a lazy bastard who doesn't want to charge their 3DS to buy Mario on the eShop. But that's okay, I do it too. At the end of the day it doesn't really hurt anybody so who actually gives a shit. Just embrace the fact that you pirated a game you don't own, either because it's hard to find or because you're cheap, and now you get to play it for free.

VulcanRaven

Such as?

I'm sure many patents would still make a lot of money long after they have expired.
I'm not going to argue on behalf of big companies and corportations. It's simply not in public interest for copyright to last longer than 20-25 years, it just isn't.

Look the shitty pixelated platformer shovelware game you made in Unity is not going to become a viral hit meme among youtubers raking you mad cash 20 years down the line. It's just not going to happen.
What about indie developers and smaller companies? I don't think it would be fair for them if their games went public domain so soon.

Last edited:

Reon

Such as?

So you think Mario should be public domain now? Everybody should be able to make Mario games?

RealGassy

Banned
So you think Mario should be public domain now?
Mario games that are older than 20-25 years should go into public domain, yes.
So NES, SNES games, Super Mario 64 is 24 years old, so that should be in the public domain soon too.

Everybody should be able to make Mario games?
You mean use Mario as a character in their games?
Now that's a different question.

What about indie developers and smaller companies? I don't think it would be fair for them if their games went public domain so soon.
20 years is bloody long time, even when accounting for long tail sales. Being generous 25 years is more than enough.
There are very, VERY few indie devs that stay in the business for that long. Most notably Spiderweb software, and even they remake their earlier titles. But those original ones, i.e. first three Exile games would in theory go into public domain, yes.

Reon

Mario games that are older than 20-25 years should go into public domain, yes.
So NES, SNES games, Super Mario 64 is 24 years old, so that should be in the public domain soon too.

You mean use Mario as a character in their games?
Now that's a different question.

20 years is bloody long time, even when accounting for long tail sales. Being generous 25 years is more than enough.
There are very, VERY few indie devs that stay in the business for that long. Most notably Spiderweb software, and even they remake their earlier titles. But those original ones, i.e. first three Exile games would in theory go into public domain, yes.
All assets that belong to the public domain can be used freely. This means that if a Mario game is in the public domain, anybody would be able to use the Mario IP in anything they'd like without consent from Nintendo. Same with Nintendo's iconic music, etc.

Romulus

Another point is, why bother with the moral crusade at this point? The people who see the argument online, and are actually affected by the supposed merits to make a change is nothing. You're really sooo worried that changing 2 minds out of millions is worth wasting your time and being frustration.

Last edited:

Reon

Seems to me Americans have been brainwashed by the corporate masters so much that they believe downloading a ROM of a game you can't buy on any digital platform is somehow stealing money from devs/puplishers.
BRB downloading Tiny toons adventures right now!

3W9ClB4.png
Pirate needs a Brazilian flag on him and then this is perfect

Im generally not but if someone calls me a fool for sharing my opinion and cant take any criticism I dish back deserves it.
There is truth to what I pointed out that most people that use emulators pirate the games, it’s a ugly truth.
I have no problem with people using emulators just the way people take advantage of situations.

You should follow your own advice. You called the other person a fool first. You're hitting back against arguments with "but they're pirates!"

Yeah because that’s what people that pirate games tell themselves to justify there actions but there is a lot of truth to it.
Emulation in itself is fine it’s stealing the ROMS that’s not cool.....and you have to admit yourself most people that use emulators pirate ROMS . Not everyone but a lot of them do.

Same garbage logic as Donald Trump's "illegals are rapists and murderers".

sol_bad

Patents last for 20 years, and that works out just fine.
No person lives 120-150 years, and most people working on games do not see a single dime other than their salary. Hell, most of the team gets laid off right after a game is done.

Production company that funded the project deserves a profit for taking a chance? You mean Disney rereleasing 27-30 year old NES roms for 5$ a pop?
Bullshit arguments all around.
Re-releasing, remastering, repackaging and selling old ROMS is EXACT opposite of taking a chance.

I ain't giving a single dime for a game older than 25years, shitty NES, SNES roms, etc, just ain't happening.

They spent however many millions of dollars on the project in the 90's, that's when they took the chance. So of course the company that footed the bill deserves all the profit they can get from said project.

The movie studios do a great job of keeping their catalogues available for purchase. VHS > Laser Disc > DVD > Blu Ray > Digital/UHD. Maybe you see that as ripping people off and making them spend more money on the same thing. I see it as taking care of their library of films. Film can hold a hell of a lot of picture information and detail. If studios could have sold a 4K copy of a movie back in the 1980's, chances are they would have. Unfortunately that is not the case because technology is constantly improving and back in the 80's there was no way to present a film in 4k or 8k.
When a studio remasters an old film, that costs millions of dollars to do, you can't expect them to give that away for free. You as the consumer can decide for yourself how much a particular film means to you and whether it's worth upgrading to DVD/BD/UHD. You as the consumer have the power to read reviews about releases and will know to avoid almost every release of Predator as an example because nearly every release has been crap.

Just like movie studios spend millions to remaster an old film, video game companies spend thousands/millions to remaster or update their catalogue titles. And again you shouldn't expect to be given these for free. And again, some remasters are shit and some are great and you as the consumer can do your research to see what is worth spending your own income on what product.

As for the creative minds behind projects, if they are going to work for a corporation, the onus is on them to get a lawyer and make sure that a contract is arranged where they'll personally benefit for many years to come. If they fuck that up, that's on them. Maybe the game industry as a whole needs to change, as an example, the new God of War, Jaffe should have had some recognition and payment for the newest game even though he wasn't involved in the game. When it comes to film, a director of an original franchise film will get a credit in a newer franchise film that they didn't direct and I am sure they receive some form of paymnt.

I'll just say this. I'm glad that I have and listen to my own sense of morality rather than that of the crowd. I don't need or look for reassurance that what I do or do not is acceptable to others. That may be interpreted however you wish.

Jeeves

If I made a game and for one reason or another it became unavailable to purchase 20 years later, I'd tell you to pirate that shit and enjoy my work.

Games are meant to be played.

As a game collector, and programmer, no roms here.

Other thing is...maybe it's just me, but when u pay for a game, u have more incentive to play and do everything on it. Also you feel that the game is yours.

It's best save your money, buy the disc or cartridge you want to play than have 10.000 roms accumulated.

Sorry my poor english!

Always such passion. Thing is, whether you're for or against emulation and/or piracy, what does it ultimately really matter? Neither are going away so long as these two things exist: 1) VPNs and 2) countries that don't give much of a fuck on the matter. Unless you're directly impacted, or just really enjoy 'discussing' these topics, may as well save your breath.

JSoup

Banned
Emulation development discussions are always interesting. Creating new ways to replicate and then improve upon older technology exists in a realm of passion that most only graze.

TriSuit666

Banned
Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

TriSuit666

Banned
Emulation development discussions are always interesting. Creating new ways to replicate and then improve upon older technology exists in a realm of passion that most only graze.

Yes, indeed. And in some ways the emulation scene is vibrant enough with the way modern technology is being leveriged to bring these classics to new audiences in ways those of us who played them the first time couldn't have imagined. I mean SNES games being enhanced with widescreen and modern resolution support or mashing-up games in ways that were impossible even with hacks, just amazing.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Seems to me Americans have been brainwashed by the corporate masters so much that they believe downloading a ROM of a game you can't buy on any digital platform is somehow stealing money from devs/puplishers.
BRB downloading Tiny toons adventures right now!
But think of the developers!

inb4 the studio they work for doesn't give them an extra dime above the negotiated pay rates so if a game does well they don't make more money
^ P.S. in IT, can attest; completing a project is your job, not something to give you a bonus over

Last edited:
But think of the developers!

inb4 the studio they work for doesn't give them an extra dime above the negotiated pay rates so if a game does well they don't make more money
^ P.S. in IT, can attest; completing a project is your job, not something to give you a bonus over
People in the west (America really) don’t know how much piracy benefited the gaming industry in the long run.
Ask anyone in the regions gaming companies didn't give a shit about (a lot still don't ) how they got into gaming in the 80s-90s-00s before the internet connected the world?
Simply put through piracy/clone consoles and the like.

rBcsfAD.jpg

(I had this thing in red as a 5 year old kid back in 92-93 it had tons of games but all i remember is SMB and Duck Hunt/Wild gunman)
Now those who grew up on this thing and pirated PS1/2s are now adults with cash who pay thousands of dollars to Sony/Nintendo/Xbox, and they wouldn't be if it were not for piracy.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

II always say this but

How do you reduce gaming piracy?
You make a system that's convenient and allow people to buy their games fairly and easily. Streaming services like Netflix do work for movies so this should and will be the standard for games moving forward.
A virtual Console on the Switch (As in buying the game you want individually) is a STUPID idea and even Nintendo realises this. Nintendo is on the right track with their online subscription service however they need to be doing far more quicker to get better results.

I do tire of these corporation defenders on forums who try to make people who pirate feel guilty as if they've NEVER done it before themselves. These corporations don't need defending they have PR people and lawyers to do that for them, especially Nintendo.

People will always pirate especially if there's no alternative.
You can try and tell people they're 'wrong' and 'bad people' for doing it but it's up to the companies who sell these games to come up with positive ideas to get people to stop. Suing everyone just doesn't work.
I believe if there is a convenient way to play their favourite games for a price, most people would go for it. At the end of the day downloading pirated software is risky and most people would rather avoid the stress of it.

lock2k

Banned
People in the west (America really) don’t know how much piracy benfeted the gaming industry in the long run.
Ask anyone in the regions gaming companies didn't give a shit about (a lot still don't ) how they got into gaming in the 80s-90s-00s before the internet connected the world?

rBcsfAD.jpg

(I had this thing in red as a 5 year old kid back in 92-93 it had tons of games but all i remember is SMB and Duck Hunt/Wild gunman)
Now those who grew up on this thing and pirated PS1/2s are now adults with cash who pay thousands of dollars to Sony/Nintendo/Xbox, and they wouldn't be if it were not for piracy.
7a37bdd7911207147e848d0285dfda32.jpg

The same happened in Brazil.

This is Gradiente's Phantom System. A NES clone (which was bigger than the actual NES here).

Later on, Gradiente became officially Nintendo in Brazil as the brand Playtronic and they launched SNES, N64 and Gamecube officially.

Funny how this system had Genesis controller clones.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Do you guys want to really know what killed any entity with a large amount of money complaining about pirating?
Metallica; Lars Ulrich specifically.
Suing Napster was one thing, and made sense, to be honest
But the constant bitching of people who had large amounts of money AFTERWARDS was tasteless and tone deaf, and only served to hurt their beliefs

Enough so, that Trey Parker and Matt Stone came out to absolutely slay them

I'll really play the world's smallest violin for some executive not being about to afford the $2.5M house and had to settle on the $2.0M house instead

Companies that fail isn't do to crime/piracy; and if your business did fail to that, it's because you didn't plan well enough to prevent crime/piracy of your services/product
This is why most businesses fail in the first year; poor planning. Not crime/piracy

It's not like successful businesses didn't use whatever loopholes they could use to make more money
Fuck, I worked for a company where we hosted software and in the ToS in that software you couldn't host it in such a way. Got sued by the company, our company won in court because of a one sentence loop hole in their ToS.
No one would bat an eye at that situation, but I get a copy of a Low G Man ROM and I'm a thief?

Companies make money, they're not people, and won't think like people. Companies are there to make money, not to be humane.
People in the west (America really) don’t know how much piracy benfeted the gaming industry in the long run.

rBcsfAD.jpg

I being a pirate totally have followed the market of "off brand," consoles and how there was cultural stigmas preventing releases of games into certain territories

Hunting out weird ROM hacks that come on foreign multi-carts was a jam of mine during the college days and man can you find some WEIRD shit from those carts

This is more of an aside, but another thing I think is an American/Western thing is not paying attention to what's NOT being said
A lot of those development studios will say it hurts sales, and that hurts the devs, and to think of the devs
Well, those devs who get profit sharing or bonuses for meeting sales markers? That's a set amount, there's a cap to it
If the game ships 10x more units than predicted, those devs are ONLY getting what is in their contract and not a penny more
I'll agree that if anyone on the street had the knowledge and could snatch a copy of a game that released in this generation that sure, it'd hurt sales a whole shit ton. However, that isn't the case

7a37bdd7911207147e848d0285dfda32.jpg

The same happened in Brazil.

This is Gradiente's Phantom System. A NES clone (which was bigger than the actual NES here).

Later on, Gradiente became officially Nintendo in Brazil as the brand Playtronic and they launched SNES, N64 and Gamecube officially.

Funny how this system had Genesis controller clones.
Yeah official games and consoles in Brazil are so damn expensive for no damn reason, i'm not from Brazil but I've seen videos on why gaming over there is mostly for the rich/those who can pirate if they could even affored the damned piece of plastic.

In the Middle East/North Africa no parent in the 80s/90s would buy their kid an expensive console that's like 400$(the PS2 was priced at that point back then holy shit what a fucking scam) AND pay 60+$ for a single game (my dad wouldn't) so piracy was a huge blessing since you can buy games for like 5-10$ a sun you can affored with your school allowance, i wouldn't have become a huge fan of games and play many games if not for piracy.

Kids these days wouldn't understand what it was like back then, now every kid has an I phone/Galaxy etc and console prices are way cheaper and more in line with other places like the US-EU and the constant digital sales and thriving used games market makes it easier than ever to have gaming as a hobby.

Bottom line is piracy isn't bad and is the only TRUE way to preserve games for the future.

petran79

Banned
This is a shitty rationalization for people breaking the law to play something by appealing to some kind of moral construct which functions on an entitlement mindset where they not only lie to themselves for justification, but also to others as if they're doing the industry a favor.. It's total bullshit.

Fact is these games are preserved, people actually own them, people have backed them up who own them, they are in the hands of private collectors, they are in the hands of ACTUAL preservationists. Reality is the ones engaging in the practices discussed in this thread are not owners, they're pirates trying to act like the moral saviors of gamings history when people who have actually shelled out money on these games are the real ones preserving its past.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is $700? That doesn't give you the right to pirate and play it. There's limited copies of it and the source code is lost? That doesn't give you the right to pirate it. These games are well taken care of, they don't need any intervention from the likes of scummy snake oil salesmen appealing to some kind of moral high ground.

This is a pay to play industry and it doesn't matter how old or rare something is, if you can't afford it in its real form you have no right or entitlement to it regardless of your reasoning. This is fake concern to perpetuate illegal activities for something well in hand by those financially invested.

Game is 700$ mainly because of the boxset, instruction manual, disc/cartridge, whether it is sealed, tied to specific unit version, header data, rarity etc. Those things are not easy to collect or do an original copy, unless you have industrial equipment. A digital version not tied to any unit specific number would barely cost 20 usd and in fact Sega is planning a PD remake this year.

But on the other hand if the law was applied letter by letter, many collectors or even game companies would be breaking it because they bypass region lock jurisdiction, which is also a sort of DRM and even today can lead to IP bans or companies cancelling licensing products overseas.

No consumer was punished of course because breaking that regulation usually earns the companies more money but it is a double standard because it harms local game retailers in some cases. Many of those older games were purchased this way.

I know its nitpicking but I chuckle when I play SF anniversary collection and the message "this game is only to be played in the USA" appears. Though I know I can't afford or set a real SF arcade cab mainly due to space (euro version of course).

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I forgot about this episode,haha is it the Faith + 1 episode?
Yeah it is
I'm not even a fan of South Park but it just hit the note so well

I don't think I have ever seen Matt Stone and Trey Parker complain about piracy, and they have one of the most popular shows in the West
Weird how they're still making money, eh? All that piracy of their show going around and all

Yeah it is
I'm not even a fan of South Park but it just hit the note so well

I don't think I have ever seen Matt Stone and Trey Parker complain about piracy, and they have one of the most popular shows in the West
Weird how they're still making money, eh? All that piracy of their show going around and all
Dumb-Dumber-Crying.gif

Top Bottom