• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engineers figure out math behind how cats drink, confirm cats are classier than dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Science in action.

NbunP.jpg

It has taken four highly qualified engineers and a bunch of integral equations to figure it out, but we now know how cats drink. The answer is: very elegantly, and not at all the way you might suppose.

Cats lap water so fast that the human eye cannot follow what is happening, which is why the trick had apparently escaped attention until now. With the use of high-speed photography, the neatness of the feline solution has been captured.
Dog owners are familiar with the unseemly lapping noises that ensue when their thirsty pet meets a bowl of water. The dog is thrusting its tongue into the water, forming a crude cup with it and hauling the liquid back into the muzzle.

Cats, both big and little, are so much classier, according to new research by Pedro M. Reis and Roman Stocker of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, joined by Sunghwan Jung of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and Jeffrey M. Aristoff of Princeton.

Writing in the Thursday issue of Science, the four engineers report that the cat’s lapping method depends on its instinctive ability to calculate the point at which gravitational force would overcome inertia and cause the water to fall.

What happens is that the cat darts its tongue, curving the upper side downward so that the tip lightly touches the surface of the water.

The tongue is then pulled upward at high speed, drawing a column of water behind it.

Just at the moment that gravity finally overcomes the rush of the water and starts to pull the column down — snap! The cat’s jaws have closed over the jet of water and swallowed it.

The cat laps four times a second — too fast for the human eye to see anything but a blur — and its tongue moves at a speed of one meter per second.

Being engineers, the cat-lapping team next tested its findings with a machine that mimicked a cat’s tongue, using a glass disk at the end of a piston to serve as the tip. After calculating things like the Froude number and the aspect ratio, they were able to figure out how fast a cat should lap to get the greatest amount of water into its mouth. The cats, it turns out, were way ahead of them — they lap at just that speed.

To the scientific mind, the next obvious question is whether bigger cats should lap at different speeds.

The engineers worked out a formula: the lapping frequency should be the weight of the cat species, raised to the power of minus one-sixth and multiplied by 4.6. They then made friends with a curator at Zoo New England, the nonprofit group that operates the Franklin Park Zoo in Boston and the Stone Zoo in Stoneham, Mass., who let them videotape his big cats. Lions, leopards, jaguars and ocelots turned out to lap at the speeds predicted by the engineers.
At first, Dr. Stocker and his colleagues assumed that the raspy hairs on a cat’s tongue, so useful for grooming, must also be involved in drawing water into its mouth. But the tip of the tongue, which is smooth, turned out to be all that was needed.

The project required no financing. The robot that mimicked the cat’s tongue was built for an experiment on the International Space Station, and the engineers simply borrowed it from a neighboring lab.
RIwhf.jpg

EDIT: Here's a link to the actual paper: http://web.mit.edu/preis/www/mypapers/cats_Science_Express_Reis_Aristoff_Stocker.pdf

XiaNaphryz

soundscream said:
But dogs are more awesome!

ArmySeeingEyeDog.jpg
Bah, look at that tongue just lazily hanging out. How do you expect to get clear spotting instructions like that? The coordinates said would have one helluva lisp.

Grisby

You just know that behind the super secretive lab that tests cats drinking milk lies an even more super secretive lab studying Delorians, 88MPH, and time.

Calcaneus

Math jokes, I love it.

As far as the drinking technique goes, that is pretty cool. Still doesn't make me want a cat anywhere near me.

Purkake4

Banned
Calcaneus said:
Math jokes, I love it.

As far as the drinking technique goes, that is pretty cool. Still doesn't make me want a cat anywhere near me.
I hear they use the same technique to drink human blood as well.

DiscoJer

This would be more impressive if cats didn't have such a hard time figuring out where the water level was.

Hmmm, where's the water? Here? Here? Too far, now my nose and chin are wet. D'oh.

Although some of the smarter ones will tap the water container (or whatever) to see it move.

DonMigs85

I think it's understandable, since a cat's muzzle is shorter than the average dog's and the tongue is also smaller and more flexible. It even has a comb built in!

Cat_tongue_macro.jpg

XiaNaphryz

Purkake4 said:
industrian said:
I want to see the engineers explain this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6uL0WURuZ4
Obviously that cat is broken.
Engineers won't help there, maybe psychologists would.

It's obviously a dog trapped in a cat's body. No cat would purposely dunk their head into a stream of water. Plus dunking your head in to lap up the water dribbles that come down would be expected for a dog. If the vid was a dog people would think "how cute," but if it's a cat they'd go "wtf is wrong with that cat."

XiaNaphryz

So the cat/dog war has reached the New York Times. The opposing side has responded:

Cats’ Superior Drinking Habits Make Me Love Dogs:
Q4qSr.jpg

If you have any doubts about which sort of pet is right for you, watch the researcher’s video of his cat drinking water. Observe the neatness and precision. Drink a glass of water yourself. How do you compare? How does that make you feel?

Then watch my dog, or any other, slurp water and then look up at you with a big happy smile as water cascades from her jowls to the floor. Take a sip of water yourself. How do you feel now?

Pretty good, I’ll bet. I rest my case.
Journalism!

sadaiyappan

This reminds me of a New Yorker comic in which dogs talk about how it's not enough to succeed. The cats also have to fail. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom