• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enshrouded - Official Early Access Launch Trailer & Preview Thread

enshrouded-co-op-survival-key-art.jpg

ABOUT THIS GAME​

The realm of Embervale is lost. In their greed for magical power, your ancestors unleashed a pestilence that consumed the world.

Enshrouded is a game of survival, crafting, and Action RPG combat, set within a sprawling voxel-based continent. As you journey across the mountains and deserts of an open world, you are free to choose your path and shape your destiny.

Ignite the Ancient power of the Flame, and piece together the fragments of a story that unfolds below the surface.​

SURVIVE THE SHROUD

You start with nothing but the will to survive the wilds. You must scrape and scavenge through the ruined remnants of a lost kingdom, and fend off the beasts that hunger for your flesh.

Journey through forests, caves, dungeons, searching for secret knowledge and treasure. Build the strength to venture into the Shroud and bring the fight back to the horrors of the deep.

1._SURVIVE_THE_LOST_KINGDOM.gif

HEART POUNDING ACTION COMBAT

The Shroud consumes the land it corrupts, mutating and guiding all life it encounters. Cleave your way through ravaging factions and formidable bosses, battling Scavenger in the forests, Vukah in the caves, and Fell creatures in the mist.

Duck, parry, and surprise your foes with unexpected fighting skills and powerful spells. Exploit the weaknesses of your enemies as you develop your own unique playstyle with an in-depth skill tree system.

2._FIGHT_WILD_BEASTS___FELL_MONSTERS,_TWISTED_BY_THE_FOG.gif

CREATE EPIC BUILDS

Bring life back to the land! Voxel-based building unleashes your creative vision, allowing you to create grand architecture on an epic scale, customized with a vast assortment of materials and furniture. Build not only for yourself, because NPCs will take refuge within your walls, unlocking advanced workshops and the ability to craft epic weapons and armor.

3._BUILD_GRAND_HALLS.gif

CRAFT GEAR WORTHY OF LEGEND

Craft and customize a staggering array of legendary weapons and armor to become a force to be reckoned with. You'll need to master the shield, the sword, the staff and the bow to withstand the merciless advance of the Shroud.

4._FORGE_YOUR_WARRIOR.gif

CALL UPON YOUR ALLIES

Join with friends in 16 player co-op gameplay. Carve out unique roles and complimentary skills that will prove your worth in battle as together you raid, gather treasure, and overcome the Fell hordes that ravage the land.

5._GATHER_YOUR_ALLIES.gif

UNLOCK THE SECRETS OF A FALLEN REALM

Journey through the biomes of Embervale to immerse yourself in vibrant fallen cultures and ancient myths, from the mystical desert of the Kindlewastes to the dark canopies of The Revelwood.

Within the fog, and beneath the ruins of a lost kingdom lies an ever-unfolding story of magic, ruin, hope, and redemption waiting to be discovered.

Video Previews

Last edited:

nikos

From the game's FAQ:

Can I use my character on another server? If so, what will I transfer with me?
You can absolutely take your favorite character with you and swap between servers. They will retain their entire equipment and inventory, as well as levels / skills unlocked.
In addition, they will also maintain:

Map memory (locations and fog of war removed)
Personal crafting recipes (crafting that does not require a workbench)
Previously collected Shroud roots (you cannot farm Shroud roots by making new worlds)
Previously found lore texts and tutorials
Towers you found by yourself
They will not maintain:

The majority of crafting recipes (they are dependent on NPCs and crafting stations unlocked in the world)
Available NPCs for summon (gotta liberate them in the new world, too!)
Towers that were found by others and shared with the group

It sounds like this game actually gets multiplayer right unlike most other games in the genre. Keeping progression offline, online and between servers is a huge deal for me.

It's a shame it released at the worst possible time. It seems to be doing well but probably could have done much better.

TVexperto

From the game's FAQ:

It sounds like this game actually gets multiplayer right unlike most other games in the genre. Keeping progression offline, online and between servers is a huge deal for me.

It's a shame it released at the worst possible time. It seems to be doing well but probably could have done much better.
its just dumb, that some players experience part of the story here, some others experience another part of the quest.

Even already at the start its annoying, that all players who come later dont have a tutorial anymore.

It can only get worse from here on, whoever is the fastest, gets all the quests.

I’m just baffled as to why in a game that they preached was 16 player co op they didn’t stop once to think that all 16 players might want to do all of the content but can’t actually always all play at the same time.

NeoLed

its just dumb, that some players experience part of the story here, some others experience another part of the quest.

Even already at the start its annoying, that all players who come later dont have a tutorial anymore.

It can only get worse from here on, whoever is the fastest, gets all the quests.

I’m just baffled as to why in a game that they preached was 16 player co op they didn’t stop once to think that all 16 players might want to do all of the content but can’t actually always all play at the same time.
I call that world's progression. Let's say one group clear the Shroud in an area. Should the shroud stay or not because other groups haven't visit the area? It's reasonable

geary

This looks more like an action adventure/ rpg lite with base building. You have stats, gear, classes, etc...
I dare to say is more similar with Breath of the Wild than it has to be...

Porticus

Yeah this game is DOA, GG developers.
They should takes several notes from Palworld developers, they copycat several games but they do it good.

I watched Lirik play the game last night. It looks quite good and polished, especially for an EA release in the survival genre, and it has much more BotW influence than I initially expected.

It got me thinking how it's funny that at this time we have a very popular Pokémon meets Rust and a BotW meets Rust that seems quite promising. I guess that's the market at work.

For me personally it seems somewhat enticing, but I'm just not into the survival, farming mats and crafting aspects (same goes for Palworld) as it doesn't feel rewarding enough for the time invested.

Last edited:

TVexperto

Yeah this game is DOA, GG developers.
They should takes several notes from Palworld developers, they copycat several games but they do it good.
We had over 10 us ready to break ground on this game yesterday. Most of us started building. One of us ventured forth to see what the quest was all about. A few were watching our streams in discord to see if they really wanted to join us. The minute we noticed that the story quest progressed for everyone when the one person who ventured off got to the first checkpoint, you could feel the hype for this game die. My dedicated server has one person on it now, and it's not even me.

I love the game so far, and I'll continue to try it out in a private game. I doubt it will hold my interest for very long solo though. I really wish they had just copied V Rising's progression system. Ah well. Maybe it'll change by launch, but I think my friends are all fully back on the Palworld hype train for now.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Played for about 3 hours, having a great time. The game feels like an unholy marriage between Valheim and Elden Ring.

There's an open world with dungeons and boss battles, RPG skills and progression, crafting, looting. Graphics are great, music is good, combat is decent enough. There's paragliding, hookshot jumping, cooking and resource management. There's a lot going on, but it's not complex. You understand what this game is and will be after like 30 minutes.

There's a LOT of potential here, and this game would've been huge if it wasn't overshadowed by Palworld.

Mortisfacio

Hoping some of the issues are fixed by the time I get around to this. Really like the feedback and look of this game, but currently caught up with Palworld.

Haven't played Enshrouded but watched a bunch of streams. They are different kinds of games I think. Enshrouded reminded me more of Valheim.

hlm666

Palword or Enshrouded?

What is superior?
As someone who has been waiting for enshrouded since the first trailer dropped and only loaded up palworld on gamepass to have a laugh it kinda burns me to say it but I was having more fun with palworld. I think it's because I could essentially hand off the farming duties to the slaves and just go fight and explore. Enshrouded also makes you progress a fair bit before you can make a specific type of chest so you don't have to go and grab stuff from boxes to craft something, palworld just lets you have that functionality out the gate.

I'm gonna put some more hours into enshrouded and see if I start to enjoy it more with some more skill unlocks and gear progression but as it stands I recommend waiting on enshrouded and see how it evolves in early access. I feel they need to change a bunch of things to make the early game a little more streamlined. The best analogy I can give is enshrouded is like going back to ever quest after playing wow.

GHG

As someone who has been waiting for enshrouded since the first trailer dropped and only loaded up palworld on gamepass to have a laugh it kinda burns me to say it but I was having more fun with palworld. I think it's because I could essentially hand off the farming duties to the slaves and just go fight and explore. Enshrouded also makes you progress a fair bit before you can make a specific type of chest so you don't have to go and grab stuff from boxes to craft something, palworld just lets you have that functionality out the gate.

I'm gonna put some more hours into enshrouded and see if I start to enjoy it more with some more skill unlocks and gear progression but as it stands I recommend waiting on enshrouded and see how it evolves in early access. I feel they need to change a bunch of things to make the early game a little more streamlined. The best analogy I can give is enshrouded is like going back to ever quest after playing wow.

Thanks for the writeup and comparison.

After palworld I don't think I can go back to another survival-craft type game where I can't offload or automate a lot of the busywork.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to watch this Guys videos the second he became part of the "journo crowd" in the US.

All of a sudden his takes started sounding an awful lot like every other game journo, because once you join the club it's group think or you get kicked out.
At that point you should just watch for information rather than opinion, much like people do IGN’s content.

I personally just try and hear all sides paid, positive, and negative, just so I don’t constantly funnel myself down one path, because the more negative guys have their flaws too.

hlm666

I havn't played it much more yet, there's some horrible frame rate/pacing issues, 60fps lock feels best but it still feels not smooth, uncapping the frame rate and going above a locked 60 like 90 or 120 feels horrible. Apparently the devs know, i'm out until they fix it though.

Hugare

I haven't been able to watch this Guys videos the second he became part of the "journo crowd" in the US.

All of a sudden his takes started sounding an awful lot like every other game journo, because once you join the club it's group think or you get kicked out.
??

Like absolutely hating TLOU Part II when every other journo was giving it 10/10's?

Care to give any examples? The only one that I think of is the Hogwarts Legacy situation. But thats the only example that I can think of.

StueyDuck

??

Like absolutely hating TLOU Part II when every other journo was giving it 10/10's?

Care to give any examples? The only one that I think of is the Hogwarts Legacy situation. But thats the only example that I can think of.
It's not my job to Google stuff for you, if you want that you'll pay me for my time.

He hangs out with the generic San Franciscan journo crowd and even has a podcast with them.

I havn't played it much more yet, there's some horrible frame rate/pacing issues, 60fps lock feels best but it still feels not smooth, uncapping the frame rate and going above a locked 60 like 90 or 120 feels horrible. Apparently the devs know, i'm out until they fix it though.
I thought I was going mad when I had 90-100fps but it felt like 40fps. Doesn't feel smooth and the spikes during time of day changes feels awful, sometimes dropping to 20fps. It's early access so I'm sure it'll be ironed out but it's annoying nonetheless.

hlm666

I thought I was going mad when I had 90-100fps but it felt like 40fps. Doesn't feel smooth and the spikes during time of day changes feels awful, sometimes dropping to 20fps. It's early access so I'm sure it'll be ironed out but it's annoying nonetheless.
I don't know what the framerate is, afterburner/riva tuner display a perfectly locked 60 (and 90 or 120) and it feels like 20fps. Locking it to 60 feels the best but even then it still doesn't feel like 60.

Hugare

It's not my job to Google stuff for you, if you want that you'll pay me for my time.

He hangs out with the generic San Franciscan journo crowd and even has a podcast with them.
Cant waste time sharing some examples, but waste time enough researching about who Skill Up hangs out with. This is just sad. But you do you.

Anyway, enough off topic. Game looks great, has tons of potential. The timing was really off, tho, sadly. They should have delayed it a bit in order to gain momentum.

sigmaZ

Before I even give this two looks, I want to know:
1. Is the building easy and straight forward? To be the building game I've ever liked is Dragon Quest Builders 2 because of how intuitive the controls were for building.
2. Are you spending an inordinate amount of time mining for material or is it done fairly quickly?
3. Do you spend more time building or on exploration or story?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Cant waste time sharing some examples, but waste time enough researching about who Skill Up hangs out with. This is just sad. But you do you.

Anyway, enough off topic. Game looks great, has tons of potential. The timing was really off, tho, sadly. They should have delayed it a bit in order to gain momentum.
I literally watched his stuff before, then he started being influenced by the San Fran Journos and lost his individual thought because they don't do anything but group think and then I stopped watching.

Like I originally said in my first post that you responded to. I'm sorry I didn't live up to your grand gotcha plans or whatever you had in mind, but I know the second I saw him start a podcast with the regular game Journos we all find useless that it was all gonna be downhill from there.

When I say stopped watching I mean that I literally stopped watching. Not that I continued watching so when some guy on the internet wants to play gotcha I have a list of videos lined up to prove myself 🤣.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

I literally watched his stuff before, then he started being influenced by the San Fran Journos and lost his individual thought because they don't do anything but group think and then I stopped watching.

Like I originally said in my first post that you responded to. I'm sorry I didn't live up to your grand gotcha plans or whatever you had in mind, but I know the second I saw him start a podcast with the regular game Journos we all find useless that it was all gonna be downhill from there.

When I say stopped watching I mean that I literally stopped watching. Not that I continued watching so when some guy on the internet wants to play gotcha I have a list of videos lined up to prove myself 🤣.
I got tired of him basically recommended everything even though it was obviously mediocre and then shit all over FF16, which I agree is mostly mediocre, but he didn't apply the same standard to multiple other dog shit titles. ACG is still more balanced I think overall.

StueyDuck

I got tired of him basically recommended everything even though it was obviously mediocre and then shit all over FF16, which I agree is mostly mediocre, but he didn't apply the same standard to multiple other dog shit titles. ACG is still more balanced I think overall.
ACG is definitely still one of the good ones.

although to be honest at this point I feel we are all educated in games enough to know one way or another how to feel by watching gameplay. It's not like the old days where the best we could go on was a low res image in the corner of a magazine and the reviewer(previewers) opinion is all we could use to base the experience off of.

to me reviews today should be more technical like yes or no it runs well and whats it's limits, what options does it have for players and so on.

SJRB

Gold Member
Honestly I played for one evening and had a good time, but dropped it like a sack of potatoes afterwards.

It's just so... boring? I spent hours creating a little house and gathering items to craft an armor and when I got the full armor I thought "okay, now what". The world is huge but honestly not very interesting, the loot is whack, the combat is okay at best but very unrewarding. The graphics look nice (bloom is too intense though) and the building mechanics are great, but that's not really enough to come back to this. And the inventory management suuuuucks, I hate that shit.

It's a competently made game and everything is okay but it's such a hollow experience. It's missing something, but I'm not sure what.

sigmaZ

Honestly I played for one evening and had a good time, but dropped it like a sack of potatoes afterwards.

It's just so... boring? I spent hours creating a little house and gathering items to craft an armor and when I got the full armor I thought "okay, now what". The world is huge but honestly not very interesting, the loot is whack, the combat is okay at best but very unrewarding. The graphics look nice (bloom is too intense though) and the building mechanics are great, but that's not really enough to come back to this. And the inventory management suuuuucks, I hate that shit.

It's a competently made game and everything is okay but it's such a hollow experience. It's missing something, but I'm not sure what.
Literally how I feel about all survival games. These games often feel like only having Lego and action figures and having to make it work. That or playing with toy cars. I mean I get it, but it's not for me. Only aspects I like are the building ones, but most of these games have horrible build controls and lack variety. Dragon Quest Builders 2 was the only game to get me locked in.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Before I even give this two looks, I want to know:
1. Is the building easy and straight forward? To be the building game I've ever liked is Dragon Quest Builders 2 because of how intuitive the controls were for building.
2. Are you spending an inordinate amount of time mining for material or is it done fairly quickly?
3. Do you spend more time building or on exploration or story?
I've played it for only a couple of hours but for what it's worth:

1. Easy and straight forward. It's kinda like Valheim, but perhaps even easier.
2. Most basic materials are easily accessible and seem to respawn as well.
3. Seems like an "you decide" thing to me.

But like I said, I've just started playing. Feels like a solid game so far.

Last edited:

hlm666

I think it might have the most detailed player built structures in a game so far. I can't build for shit so this is not my creation but it gives a taste of whats possible.

Codeblew

I don't know why people call this a survival game. At least playing solo, it is just an RPG with base building. The game is decent, I have put about 25 hours into it so far, which makes it worth the $30 I spent on it.

Top Bottom