• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games starts to ban Cronus and Strike Pack users on Playstation and Xbox

Bernoulli

M2 slut
WARNING: Epic Games, Inc. has informed Collective Minds that the Cronus Zen, Cronus Max, and Strike Pack devices are prohibited from being used in Fortnite and Rocket League. All Fortnite and Rocket League users must refrain from using such restricted devices with Fortnite and Rocket League, and any players found using these devices or attempting to bypass these restrictions will be permanently banned from Fortnite and Rocket League.
The strike pack was a good and cheap alternative to Scuf controllers and just plug and play, sucks that it can't be used on Epic game games anymore

lHMeJY7.png

Source:

WARNING: Epic Games, Inc. has informed Collective Minds that the Cronus Zen, Cronus Max, and Strike Pack devices are prohibited from being used in Fortnite and Rocket League. All Fortnite and Rocket League users must refrain from using such restricted devices with Fortnite and Rocket League, and any players found using these devices or attempting to bypass these restrictions will be permanently banned from Fortnite and Rocket League.
The strike pack was a good and cheap alternative to Scuf controllers and just plug and play, sucks that it can't be used on Epic game games anymore

lHMeJY7.png

Source:
What the heck are these things? Are they just controllers with back buttons like the Steam deck and Xbox Elite controller or do they have cheating capabilities?

Alebrije

Multiplayer is a cespol thanks to those devices , hope more.companies would do the same...

Still do not get the mentality of those that use cronus max on multiplayer...basically you are cheating yourself...and spoiling the fun of others.

COD needs to start doing this. It's a menace.

It's less of a problem in Battlefield since engagement distances are typically much longer, but there too wouldn't hurt.

willothedog

How can these be detected as they are transparent to the console as they piggyback/inject into the wired controller connection? Maybe AI can detect patterns of impossible button combos (for a human).

nowhat

you can set macros up for the buttons etc so yes, for online games its classed as cheating
So I'm completely oblivious to this, and I doubt I'll ever be playing Fortnite et al. But out of curiosity, what kind of macros are we talking about? Just a series of button presses, or something involving stick movement as well? And if the latter, how would that work in any given game?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Played kill killzone 2? Totally playable without aim assist
It depends on the game, but current multiplayer games need it and everyone has it, you have the option to turn it off
Gyro aim is better but hard to get used too if you played all your life on sticks

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So I'm completely oblivious to this, and I doubt I'll ever be playing Fortnite et al. But out of curiosity, what kind of macros are we talking about? Just a series of button presses, or something involving stick movement as well? And if the latter, how would that work in any given game?
My nephews have used these things for years and actually one weekend they brought their own controllers to my house and I got to see them in action in Call of Duty

One of the paid scripts allowed for the very high powered single shot rifles to be full auto with almost zero recoil as well as turning a pump shotgun to full auto

Plus the aim assist is much stronger

Timestamped

Bernoulli

M2 slut
On Fortnite it's completely useless, i saw gameplay using this and they where completely trash
It might help someone that never played but even a beginner would do better

It's OP on COD because they can Jump Crouch spam and have no recoil on the guns

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
How can these be detected as they are transparent to the console as they piggyback/inject into the wired controller connection? Maybe AI can detect patterns of impossible button combos (for a human).
It’s not transparent. It uses software for the macros.

nowhat

So bear with me - it's grandpa here, just trying to see how you younguns are doing it and what's going on here.

This sound to me like it's a problem with the COD engine instead of the peripheral? Like, shouldn't the engine have some sort of delay between crouching and standing up, so this kind of thing should not be possible? I'm not trying to be obtuse, just trying to figure out what is happening.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So bear with me - it's grandpa here, just trying to see how you younguns are doing it and what's going on here.

This sound to me like it's a problem with the COD engine instead of the peripheral? Like, shouldn't the engine have some sort of delay between crouching and standing up, so this kind of thing should not be possible? I'm not trying to be obtuse, just trying to figure out what is happening.
COD tried to ban them in MW2 but tons of videos out there with them working in the new COD

nemiroff

Gold Member
Just like using aim assists.
That's a notion (the typical non-scientific PC gamer notion), not a fact. The fact is, it's impossible for the majority of normal human beings to have the necessary fine-grained trained motor skills to move a stick with ~10 millimeter max travel with a sub millimeter xy accuracy. With a mouse OTOH, with the right DPI/Sensitivity/Physical space, for most people you actually will have relatively easy access to a lot more fine-grained and faster accuracy. And lo and behold thus aim assist was born to somewhat make up for that difference. The only "controversy" here is how much assist the individual developer put in to make up for it, or not.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut

This sound to me like it's a problem with the COD engine instead of the peripheral? Like, shouldn't the engine have some sort of delay between crouching and standing up, so this kind of thing should not be possible? I'm not trying to be obtuse, just trying to figure out what is hahappening.

Yes it should, Fortnite has that with jumping and crouch fatigue

Why isn't COD doing the same I don't know, but drop shot and jump shot is OP
Recoil control is like aimbot

nowhat

Yes it should, Fortnite has that with jumping and crouch fatigue

Why isn't COD doing the same I don't know, but drop shot and jump shot is OP
Recoil control is like aimbot

Alright, thank you, I get how it works. Just a final question - why would anyone do this, apart from the e-peen? I'm assuming in eSports (if it exists with COD, no idea) such devices would be banned.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That's a notion (the typical non-scientific PC gamer notion), not a fact. The fact is, it's impossible for the majority of normal human beings to have the necessary fine-grained trained motor skills to move a stick with ~10 millimeter max travel with a sub millimeter xy accuracy. With a mouse OTOH, with the right DPI/Sensitivity/Physical space, for most people you actually will have relatively easy access to a lot more fine-grained and faster accuracy. And lo and behold thus aim assist was born to somewhat make up for that difference. The only "controversy" here is how much assist the individual developer put in to make up for it, or not.
Yes a fact. Even more after gyro assist became a thing. You+your stick sucks to aim? Change to a input method that doesn't suck, which is even an older method for aiming than a stick. A method that makes the game help you to aim is making the game literally fool/cheat you that you are being better at aiming, just like, to a more extreme point, full aimbot cheat.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yes a fact.
Nope. And I explained why, but you chose to ignore it to avoid dealing with it.

Again: The assist may be configured unfairly by some developers, idk, but that's beside the point. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get the quick accuracy with a normal controller (without assist) as you get with a mouse under the same relative conditions. FACT.

Disclaimer: I'm a PC gamer and prefer to use m/k in the majority of games, but sometimes controllers for casual SP.

I'm not particularly interested in discussing this in this thread since it's off-topic. But you dragged this shit into the thread, so I thought I had to address it. This will be my last post about it.

Edit: Removed a line where I wasn't sure what you meant.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Nope. And I explained why, but you chose to ignore it to avoid dealing with it.

Again: The assist may be configured unfairly by some developers, idk, but that's beside the point. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get the quick accuracy with a normal controller (without assist) as you get with a mouse under the same relative conditions. FACT.

I'm not particularly interested in discussing this in this thread since it's off-topic. But you dragged this shit into this thread, so I thought I had to address it. This will be my last post about it.

Disclaimer: I'm a PC gamer and prefer to use m/k in the majority of games, but sometimes controllers for casual SP.

Edit: Removed a line where I wasn't sure what you meant.

impossibru-meme.png

Even if it was impossible to be like mouse+kb, it doesn't matter because the problem is not be self fooled/cheated in been better than what you really are at aiming, not match m+kb efficiency.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Oh no, please let me disable crossplay, I don't want to play against console users because there are so many cheaters among them.

hlm666

Macros like PC? Isn't that with cronus when you plug the keyboard and mouse to appear as controller?
They are using them for macros on controllers aswell and have been for a long while, they are probably used more for gamepad macros than actual keyboard/mouse use these days. Cheating on consoles with these things has been an issue for years. Will be interesting to see how successful epic are with this, you can probably spoof a different hardware id with the firmware on these things these days.

zombrex

Should just do the good old forever relegate them to the same lobby trick, would frustrate the fuck out of all of them.

Last edited:
On Fortnite it's completely useless, i saw gameplay using this and they where completely trash
It might help someone that never played but even a beginner would do better

Oh shit, Ive killed a few people in close quarters fights on Apex Legends that did this. If I had known this was a method from using a cronus zen device, I would have reported them. I dont know why I didnt think about it more, because you cant aim and crouch at the same time, unless you back buttons, but that is still difficult to spam while using all of the other buttons.

wvnative

Can you tell the difference?

If not, they all need to be banned.

Ubisoft has a detection algorithm on R6 siege that is supposed to only punish people clearly using m-kb and aim assist without punishing people just using it for accessibility.

Sadly it doesn't seem to work all that well...so you feeling that way is understandable.

I really REALLY wish someone would make a similar device, with extensive control customization and cross controller support, but without the gamepacks. like reWASD for consoles.

Top Bottom