• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Store "has more than 100 million users", plans to continue both free games and exclusive deals in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

llien

Let me start with the controversial part:

As for new games appearing exclusively on the Epic Games Store, Sweeney had this to say: “Exclusives have been critical in gaining momentum in the presence of a competitor that began 2019 with more than 90% market share. Securing exclusives for Epic means we can significantly assist developers with product funding and invest in marketing and awareness knowing that these efforts bring in new customers to our store, rather than just sending more business to the incumbent.”

Epic Games has announced that its store has now more than 100 million users. Furthermore, the team will extend its free games program to 2020. Not only that, but Epic Games will sign up more exclusive deals in 2020.

Going into more details, third-party games made $251 million on the Epic Games Store in 2019. According to Tim Sweeney, this figure is 60% higher than its initial forecast. In other words, and despite the harsh criticism, EGS was a big success for Epic Games.

In 2019, Epic Games game away 73 titles as part of its free game program. Sweeney stated that the pace of free game installs is several times higher than they originally expected. As such, Epic will extend this program in 2020 and will offer more free games to PC gamers.

dsogaming

D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member
They are losing money as hell on this store right now. How long can they keep doing that?
They are really not. They are not making big profits, but they are not loosing much, at all.

This is just the beginning, all this is an investment. The amount of users already exceeds their expectations.

With Fortnite and UE4 they can easily invest on it for the next 2 years. I doubt they expect profits before that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamezone

Gold Member
They are really not. They are not making big profits, but they are not loosing much, at all.

This is just the beginning, all this is an investment. The amount of users already exceeds their expectations.

With Fortnite and UE4 they can easily invest on it for the next 2 years. I doubt they expect profits before that.

They can't be doing exclusives forever. They have to add features to make people want to use their store, or sell games cheaper there.

D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member
They can't be doing exclusives forever. They have to add features to make people want to use their store, or sell games cheaper there.
Are we talking about what people on a forum want or what makes sense from an economic perspective?

They can't be doing exclusives forever, but they can for the next 2 years easily and that is more than enough time to make the store profitable.

Next-gen third party titles are not here yet, if you thought you have seen the biggest moneyhattings you are going to be surprised next year.

This was not them going all in, after the numbers we have seen yesterday there is a chance for the store, expect them to be even more aggressive.

Bryank75

Banned
I often hear people say exclusives are 'anti-consumer' but they play such a huge part in the competition between stores and platforms that they actually incentivize pro-consumer behavior.

That is capitalistic behaviour at work, it brings investment into the industry and makes platforms compete for developers by offering them more % of profits etc.

xrnzaaas

We'll see, I think many people have an EGS account only because of Fortnite or free games so boasting about the user count doesn't matter that much. Almost all of my PC friends have an EGS account, but afaik only two of them have made actual purchases and only during the two big sales we've had so far. It's going to take a lot more "hot" exclusives to convince people to spend less money on Steam (or Origin, Ubistore etc.) and more on Epic Games Store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom