• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Store launches First Run program allowing devs to get 100% revenue in exchange for exclusivity

Kataploom

Gold Member
I generally like competition and don't love the idea of Steam having a monopoly of sorts, but on the other hand Epic has not done anything to compete except for exclusives or giving away games. This is not innovative in the space of launchers/storefronts. It basically doesn't need to exist and that money would have been better invested into new game development.
Thing is: Steam not only allows, but they create their own competition by letting third party digital game sellers like HB or Fanatic sell Steam keys at their own price, it's even cheaper to get steam keys outside of steam more often than not if you're not taking advantage of regional prices.

Not even counting completely different platforms like GOG and the MS Xbox app. Steam isn't a monopoly and if it was, it would be by costumers preference and not by shit practices.

I don't get the hate for the different PC stores
People don't hate different PC stores. People hate being forced to use different PC stores for no reason.

A game may be exclusive to the Windows Store due to Game Pass. A game may be exclusive to Steam due to Steam Workshop. A game may be exclusive to GOG because the publisher desires it to be DRM-free. A game is only exclusive to Epic because Epic pays them to be. The first three are examples of a competitive marketplace. Epic is the exact opposite.

DaGwaphics

People don't hate different PC stores. People hate being forced to use different PC stores for no reason.

A game may be exclusive to the Windows Store due to Game Pass. A game may be exclusive to Steam due to Steam Workshop. A game may be exclusive to GOG because the publisher desires it to be DRM-free. A game is only exclusive to Epic because Epic pays them to be. The first three are examples of a competitive marketplace. Epic is the exact opposite.

It just isn't something I concern myself with. I as long as I can access all the launchers for free, it doesn't bother me.

Most of the larger brick & mortar stores commission products that are exclusive to them, it's not much different.

StueyDuck

Soooo basically they still want the exclusives but don't want to pay them and try entice them with 100% revenue...

Lol

Epic store is not even remotely popular enough to take that deal.

Soooo basically they still want the exclusives but don't want to pay them and try entice them with 100% revenue...

Lol

It's difficult to keep paying for exclusives, especially if they don't move the needle.

This might be a great option for T2 when it comes to GTA.

It's backloading exclusivity instead of front loading it, which is significantly more sustainable.

Monserrat

Banned

Personally, I don't get the hate for the different PC stores, competition here would only be good for gamers. If the store popularity evened out a bit, the focus of competition would shift away from the developers and to gamers, they'd have to compete harder for us (potentially better sales, etc.).

I think that if Epic becomes succesful with a store with no consumer reviews and no discussions, Valve and others will follow as there are lots of pressure from big publishers to get away with launching games in whatever state they are. For example, on Steam EA paid a price for the launching condition of their recent WRC game... on Epic, not so much, as big corrupt corporate EA just sticks by default the reviews of mainstream media and "influencers" or critics they control. On PC we have to look after ourselves... we don't have a Sony, microsoft, or nintendo daddy. Epic Games is a disease that lobbies too much after corporate interests and needs to be treated as such.

WitchHunter

Banned
Everyone says fuck epic and suck up to steam when Valve fooled everyone for 10 years about HL3 : DDD. Sometimes it really feels like a gang war. I wear red, all blue must be hated and vice versa.

Steam is better than the Epic Games Store solely because it has more appealing features. Beyond just having a friends list and messaging system, there's community groups, forums for sharing art/screenshots and guides, a community workshop to install mods with a single click, and more features that make Steam almost fun to use by itself.

Mortisfacio

Steam is better than the Epic Games Store solely because it has more appealing features. Beyond just having a friends list and messaging system, there's community groups, forums for sharing art/screenshots and guides, a community workshop to install mods with a single click, and more features that make Steam almost fun to use by itself.

Exactly. I'll gladly use Epic if the product was better. I refuse to spend a dime on EGS because they moneyhat exclusivity and force you to either use the inferior marketplace/launcher or don't play the game. So I just don't play the games exclusive to EGS. If they ever decide to make EGS better, I'll entertain it.

Everyone says fuck epic and suck up to steam when Valve fooled everyone for 10 years about HL3 : DDD. Sometimes it really feels like a gang war. I wear red, all blue must be hated and vice versa.

Ignorant take #13826

If Epic tried approaching feature parity there wouldn't be so many of these discussions.

Ever noticed how PCgamingwiki gets a lot of their info from Steam forum posts?

mrMUR_96

I guess that settles it then: Alan Wake II is coming to Steam in summer 2024.
Epic funded the development, so it's not related to this. I doubt it'll ever come to steam. Seems stupid to not play a game because you need to click on a different launcher icon to launch it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I generally like competition and don't love the idea of Steam having a monopoly of sorts, but on the other hand Epic has not done anything to compete except for exclusives or giving away games. This is not innovative in the space of launchers/storefronts. It basically doesn't need to exist and that money would have been better invested into new game development.
Monopoly? Every damn publisher have their own store, and they all have the ability to improve it, go third party, and skip Steam.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Great for Epic.

Why are ppl still shitting on Epic? i dont quite get it. Steam was in the same position 15 years ago right? Just because they've solidified themselves and were questionably first doesnt mean we have to shit on the competition thats trying to break into the market..

And speaking on value, fuck steam, they havent given me any free games - Epic has given me 25 pretty good games.

15 years ago? Did you expect the same from digital distribution back then? Also, Steam didn't launch as a PC store back then. It was released to provide a solution to Half-Life 2's DRM. When you launch a store 15 years later, people are entitled to expect more. EGS also haven't improved as much as it should since it was released.

867o82.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Lol

They’re offering an extra 18% to ignore the largest PC store in the industry.

The two Itch.io games that signed up tells you all you need to know about how great it is.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Not to mention excellent controller and VR support.

Epic has brought nothing to the table for PC gamers. Just console style paid exclusivity bullshit.

They’re coddling all of the games that make use of MTX, pulling them in. At some point they’ll sell it all to Tencent.

Top Bottom