• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games, the maker of Fortnite and Unreal Engine, is laying off a whopping 16% of employees (or around 900 people)

Allegedly the devs at Mediatonic (Fall Guys' dev) have been heavily impacted by this round of layoffs as well.

F7H6qkmW8AE7doA

Epic Games Inc., the maker of the popular Fortnite video game, is laying off 870 employees, according to people familiar with the matter.

The job cuts, which affect about 16% of its workforce, were announced in a memo to staff, said the people, who asked not to be named disclosing information that’s not yet public. Epic didn’t immediately reply to a request for comment.

Employees who were affected by the job cuts will receive six months of severance and health insurance, as well as accelerated stock vesting.

Based in Cary, North Carolina, Epic’s Fortnite has more than 400 million users. It also produces the Unreal Engine, a popular suite of technology that is used to develop video games.
As in the broader tech industry, it’s been a year full of layoffs across gaming companies big and small. Last month, the Swedish gaming conglomerate Embracer Group AB shut down Illinois-based Volition, maker of the Saints Row games. Pokemon Go maker Niantic Inc. announced in June that it’s closing its Los Angeles game studio and canceling NBA and Marvel titles in a restructuring that eliminated 230 jobs, or about 25% of its staff.

Epic is one of the biggest privately held video game companies in the world. Chief Executive Officer Tim Sweeney owns the majority of shares while the Chinese conglomerate Tencent Holdings Ltd. has a 40% stake.

Last edited:

DrFigs

fortnite just got a new milestone for peak concurrent players last month. i don't think that's the issue.
edit: sorry the stat i read was misleading. they only started to keep track of concurrent players a few months ago. so it means nothing :/

Last edited:
I had no idea they had so many people employed. Would be interesting what the percentages are for fortnite, unreal, egs and maybe a new game. Does epic offer much tech support? If yes, than that could also be easily a few hundred people.

Bkdk

UE5 prices are about to go up, there's a reason why unity went for the price hike announcement, they went too far but they absolutely knows epic is not doing well. I fully expect both game engines will announce massive price hike in the coming year.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
What are the roles / positions of these people? I hate when articles mention tech layoffs but don't bother to distinguish between laying off real developers, vs fresh junior devs, versus middle managers, project leads, "content creators", and down the list into a ton of roles that are barely work in the first place.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Maybe because they keep paying for free EGS giveaways on a store that's never improving and people don't use? How long can they keep doing this before pulling the plug? Their publishing tools was released a while back, yet most publishers don't bother. Meanwhile Steam is as healthy as ever, and is even getting Blizzard/Activision games.

Last edited:

Neilg

6 months severance is very generous, this isn't because they're hurting for revenue, it's a straightforward shift in strategy lay off.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
900 people is 16% of the workforce? How on earth does Fortnite and UE warrant that many people?
I can’t imagine how many of their employees have “full work weeks” that consist of doing like 2 hours of actual work each week. My buddy used to have a job like that.

The dream.

Bridges

Really hope this didn't impact the remaining people at Harmonix. That studio has been through enough and now that they're mostly on Fortnite duty I'm worried about their longevity

Roufianos

The biggest game in the world that's always creating new content, plus the biggest gaming engine in the world? Yeah i'm shocked

(not)
Oh wow, sassy motherfucker over here.

Fortnite slightly tweaks its map every 3 months and launches a new BP, most weapons are swapped out but some are new. Doesn't seem like something needing thousands of people.

Guerilla Games made the Decima Engine while developing games with a headcount of 360 as of 2021. Even if Unreal Engine takes 5x the manpower, the numbers still don't make sense to me.

Probably why they're laying off a bunch of excess staff.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Inevitable, really. Doesn't matter if you have one of the most successful games of all time, the shareholders will still demand year-on-year growth. If the player base is already maxed out then all you can do is start cutting costs and raising prices. Regular as clockwork.
or maybe a new IP?

Top Bottom