• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN driving up the cost of cable, now averaging $4.69 per household per month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...and-that-might-not-be-a-good-thing.print.html

It’s Dec. 19, 90 minutes before kickoff at Candlestick Park, and the 69,732 fans pouring into the best Monday Night Football match of 2011 want to see a spectacle. Football is American religion, and for the few lucky enough to attend a game, it is a chance to see gods in action and miracles performed. A dozen San Francisco 49ers are rehearsing their explosive movements on the grass, elephantine and precise, a sight that is astonishing to see. Fans are massing just above field level and screaming.

But not for the athletes. They’re hollering—“Steeeeeeeeeeeve!”—for the talent of ESPN. The cable-sports juggernaut has built a satellite set for its Monday Night Countdown pregame show off the 20-yard line, and nearby, four of its highly recognizable stars—Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Trent Dilfer, and Stuart Scott—are tossing a football before airtime. Young and Rice, both retired Hall of Fame 49ers, are local heroes; when Young, in cakey TV makeup, arcs a tight spiral to Rice, the Niner faithful go ape like it’s for real. “There’s more fans here than in the stands,” murmurs a photographer.

The glitz and production values here are extreme, with 270 ESPN staffers on hand to choreograph some 35 camera angles—more than the typical Super Bowl had not so very long ago. “Our intensity and urgency in covering sports is just better than anyone else,” Scott tells a reporter over the din of the crowd. Monday Night Football is the most venerable franchise in sports television, and for the right to broadcast just 17 games, ESPN recently re-upped its contract with the National Football League, increasing payments by 70 percent, to $1.9 billion per season, through 2021. Tonight’s Steelers-49ers matchup will dominate the ratings as the most-watched show on cable all week, with 16.7 million tuning in.

To borrow one of its advertising taglines, this is ESPN: a network as big as the leagues it covers. As a business, ESPN thrives because it is playing a different game than the big public-airwaves networks. NBC and CBS make money from advertising.

ESPN does, too, but it takes in even more from cable-subscriber fees—an average of $4.69 per household per month, according to research firm SNL Kagan. Last February, ESPN entered its 100 millionth American home. By comparison, the next costliest national network, TNT, takes in just $1.16 from about as many homes. If this were Pop Warner, the refs would have called the mercy rule by now.

A new president, John Skipper, took over the network on Jan. 1. Promoted from within, he is expected to chart a steady course—but it won’t be easy. When one team is running up the score, resentment is inevitable, and in 2012 ESPN finds itself the object of criticism on a variety of fronts. Uniting them all is a sense that “The Worldwide Leader,” as its slogan goes, has gotten too big for its own good. By driving up the price of sports-rights packages and passing along the cost to consumers, ESPN helps send monthly cable bills through the roof.

And in order to maintain favorable access to athletes, teams, and entire leagues, it is widely accused of downplaying stories that cast sports in a negative light. Live games may lead fans to watch ESPN more and more, but they’re seeing less and less of the network they fell in love with.

To find ESPN’s headquarters in Bristol, Conn., you drive through a lot of unremarkable countryside and stop when you get to the 18-building, 116-acre supercampus with 27 satellites yawning into space. Now almost a city unto itself, this version of ESPN is far removed from the company’s founding here, in 1979, by a former play-by-play man for the New England Whalers hockey team. At the time, Bristol seemed a good, cheap place to base a venture that could grow.

Early on, ESPN thrived on its outsider status, ignoring scoffs that there wasn’t enough material to sustain 24 hours a day of programming. SportsCenter was its first breakout hit. While local broadcast affiliates relegated sports to a few minutes at the tail end of the 11 o’clock news, SportsCenter anchors broke word of trades, injuries, and free-agent signings; flooded the zone on sensational stories like the O.J. Simpson murder case; probed seamier topics like steroid abuse; and delivered game highlights with a wit and literacy previously unknown in sportscasting. In 1999, Aaron Sorkin called SportsCenter “the best-written show on television.”

The show’s anchors, including Keith Olbermann and Chris Berman, quickly became celebrities in their own right. And when, in 1987, the farsighted NFL decided to move some of its games onto the new medium, ESPN won the bidding at $153 million. It was a lot of money for a fledgling network, but they made it work by tacking a few pennies onto the subscriber fees they had pioneered—and never looked back.

Powered by the dual revenue stream of ads plus surcharges, ESPN has since grown to include ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic, ESPNU, ESPN Deportes, and 47 international channels; the largest sports-radio network in America; a website that clocks 52 million unique visitors a month; and its own $100 million theme park in Florida. “They’re on your telephone, your laptop—they want to be everywhere,” says Jim Miller, coauthor of last year’s mammoth oral history of the network, Those Guys Have All the Fun. “One of the reasons they created ESPN: The Magazine was they wanted to go into the bathroom with you.”

With revenue of $8.5 billion last year, ESPN has become the principal cash spigot of the Walt Disney Co., the network’s 80 percent parent. To the largest entertainment corporation on earth, the backwater of Bristol has become more important than Disney World and Disneyland combined.

Skipper, who joined ESPN in 1997, has done his share. For the last six years he has led the company’s content division, where he doubled down on acquiring live game broadcasts. In that period, domestic TV audience rose 31 percent. ESPN declined to make Skipper available to Newsweek, but in 2010, speaking to PaidContent.org, he expressed his belief in, well: “We believe in live. We believe in live. We just think at this point with technology and people’s expectations and the ability to get instant information, we believe in live.”

Live, of course, is expensive. During Skipper’s tenure ESPN has inked deals for $2.4 billion (baseball, 2005), $7.4 billion (basketball, with TNT, 2007), $500 million (a basket of college sports, 2011), and more, plus the Monday Night Football extension for $15.2 billion.

ESPN’s costs are defrayed whenever it passes on surcharges to cable operators. But as viewers begin to squawk over rising cable bills, cable operators protest that the sports giant has gotten too pricey and too coercive in its terms.

Outspoken Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei, who oversees Starz and QVC, has called ESPN’s fees “a tax on every American household”—the key word being “every.” Because cable channels are bundled into packages, tens of millions of people who never watch sports end up paying for it anyway—and paying a lot more than they would for a package that didn’t include sports channels, ESPN the most expensive among them. Cable carriers who balk and threaten to drop ESPN must also contemplate losing its corporate brethren: the Disney Channel and ABC Family.

“ESPN, through ... sheer muscle, has been able to say to us, ‘You will carry this service on the lowest level subscription you offer, and you will make all of them pay for it,’” says Matt Polka, CEO of the American Cable Association, a trade group.

“My next-door neighbor is 74, a widow. She says to me, ‘Why do I have to get all that sports programming?’ She has no idea that in the course of a year, for just ESPN and ESPN2, she is sending a check to Disney for about $70. She would be apoplectic if she knew ... Ultimately, there’s going to be a revolt over the cost. Or policymakers will get involved, because the costs of these things are so out of line with cost of living that someone’s going to put up a stop sign.”

ESPN is not nearly the only party driving up sports-programming costs. Regional sports networks like Comcast SportsNet Washington command monthly fees as high as $3.36. And the broadcast networks pursue megadeals, too. The biggest jackpot yet came in December, when Fox, CBS, and NBC combined to offer the NFL $27 billion for broadcast rights through 2022. (Those channels are also pushing for “retransmission fees,” akin to cable’s subscriber fees.) Each eyepopper raises a new and louder chorus that sports has become too expensive for basic cable and should be broken out into its own paid tier.

“It’s astonishing. Astonishing. Every time [there is] a huge increase we can’t believe it, and then there’s another huge increase,” says Laura Martin, an analyst with investment bank Needham & Co. “The rapidly rising cost of sports, especially the new NFL contracts, increases the likelihood that sports will be forced by the government to be on a different tier within three years, by our estimates.”

While government action rides in part on November’s elections, a more pressing concern to ESPN and cable operators is the risk, in a down economy, that consumers will simply cut the cord. ESPN’s executives reject the idea that their product is expensive, noting that a viewer’s entire monthly cable bill might be less than the cost of attending one game in person. And they definitely don’t like the notion of pick-and-choose plans that have been floated. “We’re the best value, bar none, in town,” insists CFO Christine Driessen. “At the end of the day, with regard to à la carte, the viewer will pay more and get less.”

Wouldn’t it kind of make sense for fans to pay more, though—to pay the true costs of sports programming, so that nonfans don’t have to chip in? Driessen shook her head: “This notion of trying to appropriately charge the ‘correct’ cost to the consumer—it’s just not going to work out that way.”

For a certain species of American male, no amount is too high to pay for ESPN. While games are something of a commodity—fans will follow their teams to whichever channel airs them—what made ESPN not just watched but loved was its editorial integrity. There were scoops; there were powerful interviews; and even when it was puckish, it was smart. Chris Berman may have had a turban on his head when he made his predictions as “The Swami,” but his insights were dead-on.

“Journalism, even with the rights fees, is how the company was built. We built the company on the back of SportsCenter—covering major stories, being journalistically sound,” says Norby Williamson, who as ESPN’s chief of production oversees all game broadcasts, original programming, and news gathering.

Today, there is often excellent journalism to be found in the ESPN empire, from its E:60 and Outside the Lines programs—perennial contenders for Sports Emmy Awards—to documentary fare like 30 for 30. ESPN: The Magazine distinguishes itself with investigations, and ESPN.com is a go-to destination for breaking news. This kind of coverage is crucial to the network’s reputation. No one expects, say, the Food Network to report rigorously on Chez Panisse, but viewers do expect ESPN to bring them the truth about the athletes and coaches in whom they invest so much.

This is trickier than it sounds. ESPN has always kept an awkward balance, somewhat unique in broadcasting, in that it covers sports leagues journalistically at the same time it pays them billions of dollars for the rights to broadcast their games. Similarly, ESPN covers athletes as news figures at the same time it benefits from their promotion.

This conflict of interest can result in gratingly off-key programming choices—and these days, there are more critics, particularly online, crying foul. To many fans, the lowest point was The Decision, an hourlong broadcast in July 2010 that capped months of feverish speculation about which NBA team would sign superstar LeBron James. Rather than report on his choice, Bristol offered James an unprecedented deal: if he agreed to announce his choice live on ESPN, the network would let him choose his own, non-ESPN, interviewer.

James would also get all of the program’s advertising revenue, even as ESPN paid all of the costs. (James gave the money to a charity.) Howls of disgust came from all corners. “The most troubling aspect of the whole ill-conceived mess was ESPN’s willingness to hand over an hour of primetime television to an egomaniacal athlete the network should be covering as a news story,” wrote The Washington Post’s Leonard Shapiro. “Does this not-so-subtle form of checkbook journalism pass the smell test anywhere else but in Bristol, Conn.?”

Much graver is the outrage over ESPN’s poor early coverage of the biggest sports story of 2011, the Penn State sexual-abuse scandal. As students rioted, ESPN had no cameras on the scene. When they did show up, commentators seemed more concerned with the impact of the news on recruiting and coach Joe Paterno’s legacy than on the alleged crimes.

“With the biggest staff of sports journalists in the world, ESPN should have been leading the charge to ask tough questions and shed light on this scandal,” wrote the network’s ombudsmen, Jason Fry and Kelly McBride, who investigated the coverage after widespread complaints. “The tone of the early ESPN coverage was spotty—sometimes getting it right, but more often seeming inappropriate.”

The network eventually caught up—commentator Jay Bilas distinguished himself by calling the Penn State athletics program “a conspiracy of cowards” on SportsCenter. But the censure of ESPN mounted when a coach at Syracuse was fired later the same month for similar allegations, and ESPN revealed that for eight years it had sat on an incriminating audiotape of a conversation between the coach’s wife and his accuser.

The roiling sports blogosphere—now home to the kind of outsider authenticity seen in the early days of Bristol—routinely takes ESPN to task. A conspicuous example came in July 2009, when ESPN forbade its reporters from covering an allegation of rape against Ben Roethlisberger, the Super Bowl–winning quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers. In 2005, he had taped a tongue-in-cheek commercial for SportsCenter, a rite of passage for many star athletes. The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and other outlets took notice of ESPN’s silence, and the network was forced to explain its policy of not reporting on civil cases in the absence of criminal charges. Media watchers were quick to point to numerous counterexamples.

“We don’t generally believe that the network is evil or corrupt or otherwise nasty,” wrote Gregg Rosenthal at Pro Football Talk, a NBC Sports blog. “However, we do believe that the network is way too large for its own good, and that ... it’s up to everyone else to point out those occasions when the emperor is riding both bareback and bare assed.”

ESPN’s Outside the Lines would later air a tough segment on Roethlisberger’s troubles, with inside-the-locker-room reporting that demonstrated that some corners of the ESPN kingdom are not beholden to anyone.

None of this, of course, is mentioned on Dec. 19, as Roethlisberger’s Steelers prepare to take on the 49ers on Monday Night Football. Live broadcasts hinge on successfully souping up drama. All day long in San Francisco, the ESPN army had been prepping every conceivable (nonrape) subplot. Was Roethlisberger returning too soon from an injury? Could the 49ers’ rush defense make it 15 straight games without yielding a touchdown? What are the playoff seeding implications? The storylines were briskly disseminated at ESPN’s morning production meeting, which—with a nearly all-male crew of 40 in dress that ranges from shorts and flip-flops to business casual—is like the planning committee of a really excellent fraternity.

If ESPN has taught us one thing about broadcasting sports, it’s that storylines matter: matchups are more riveting when there are heroes and villains. Having played the underdog for the first half of its corporate lifetime, ESPN has, to many, become the dynasty it feels good to root against. Fans are watching—and everyone is paying for it. ESPN is the network we have to have.

Hope NBC can get to the Big East and other content with their new 24 hour sports network before ESPN continues influencing conferences and schools in weakening anyone not accepting ESPN contracts.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Must tithe for Tebow.

KingGondo

Banned
Hope NBC can get to the Big East and other content with their new 24 hour sports network before ESPN continues influencing conferences and schools in weakening anyone not accepting ESPN contracts.
The race for the rights to air BEast stuff will be cutthroat, I have no doubt.

RBH

It's just one reason why I'm rooting for NBC Sports Network to acquire more content over the next few years to hopefully mitigate this.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Haven't had cable in over five years now. With all the streaming options, buying cheap DVDs on the few things we want to own, we'll never be going back. It's no wonder streaming services are scaring the shit out of the telecom monopolies.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
It's just one reason why I'm rooting for NBC Sports Network to acquire more content over the next few years to hopefully mitigate this.

While in general I agree with you, I really wish NBC would have lost the rights to the Olympics. Their coverage of it beyond terrible.

ronito

I don't understand why providers don't let people pick and chose their channels.
I don't want ESPN. If given the choice I'd just leave it off. I'm sure there are others like me. Right now ESPN gets nearly $5 per customer because most people want ESPN and they can assume that. But if suddenly they started losing money people started opting out the cost would come down considerably.

Stet

Banned
I don't understand why providers don't let people pick and chose their channels.
I don't want ESPN. If given the choice I'd just leave it off. I'm sure there are others like me. Right now ESPN gets nearly $5 per customer because most people want ESPN and they can assume that. But if suddenly they started losing money people started opting out the cost would come down considerably.

You answered your own question. They don't let people pick and choose because they'd lose money when people decided they only wanted a handful of channels.

Row

Banned
that's ~$6billion a year, holy shit

then you take into account other revenue sources like advertising and merchendise and espn is probably doing ~$10bil a year

The entire cable system is colossally fucked.

ESPN actually manages the impossible - they make me feel sorry for cable companies. They jack up their prices constantly and the cable providers are powerless to stop them.

I agree with the article that government intervention is inevitable. And not just on this issue, but on a variety of different issues involving the broken cable television system.

The race for the rights to air BEast stuff will be cutthroat, I have no doubt.
Assuming you're not being sarcastic - hope there is a bidding war. Sucks that the Big East has to wait until September to even start negotiating with ESPN then like two months later to start open negotiations.

It is to the point that CUSA/MWC are considering disbanding in order to start open negotiations ASAP for their re-tooled conference. They're on FOX/CBS now but I'm sure NBC would be interested in order to get more content.

newjeruse

A cable system without ESPN would not be taken seriously. It's as simple as that. As long as that holds true, ESPN will be able to rake providers over the coals.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'd complain, but ESPN is one of the things I watch the most.

It's $4.69 for a reason. People watch it. There are maybe 10 channels I actually watch now a days on TV and really I only feel like 5 of them are worth paying for. All of them air live sports.

A cable system without ESPN would not be taken seriously. It's as simple as that. As long as that holds true, ESPN will be able to rake providers over the coals.

People obviously need their sports. But that's why I'm liking the fact that some competitors are starting to emerge in the 24 hour sports realm. Even if they are crappy companies themselves. It is now a matter if ESPN can be controlled and if competitors actually have a fair shot at content.

KingGondo

Banned
Assuming you're not being sarcastic - hope there is a bidding war. Sucks that the Big East has to wait until September to even start negotiating with ESPN then like two months later to start open negotiations.
ScreenShot2011-09-14at125056PM.png

The problem is that almost all cable channels are linked somehow.

Say a cable company says, "We're not going to offer Animal Planet anymore." Discovery might respond by saying, "In that case, we're not going to let you carry Discovery Channel anymore."

Most of the big content providers have one or two big, highly watched channels, and then a handful of shitty ones. And they essentially say, "If you want the big channels, you have to carry the shitty ones, too."

Cyan

Banned

Man, I have the opposite problem. I'd love to pay $5-10 a month or whatever just for the sports channels, but damned if I want to pay $30-40 more for all that other crap.

Mindlog

Too many outlets are paying dumbass amounts of money for licensing deals. Sure some of them are getting very popular (Nice work NBC.) However, I just get the sense it's bubbling. These price increases are unsustainable.

ESPN 3 is worse than SOPA.

Cyan

Banned
The problem is that almost all cable channels are linked somehow.

Say a cable company says, "We're not going to offer Animal Planet anymore." Discovery might respond by saying, "In that case, we're not going to let you carry Discovery Channel anymore."

Most of the big content providers have one or two big, highly watched channels, and then a handful of shitty ones. And they essentially say, "If you want the big channels, you have to carry the shitty ones, too."

Capitalism!

smurfx

get some go again
you don't think they are going to do the same? we might end up paying 4.00 for espn thanks to the competition but also paying nbc 3.00 for their network and pay more in the end.

Levyne

Banned
Man, I have the opposite problem. I'd love to pay $5-10 a month or whatever just for the sports channels, but damned if I want to pay $30-40 more for all that other crap.

Same problem here :(.

Any chance of comcast getting WatchESPN? Then I could cut cable keep internet and just get pretty much any sport I'd watch over the air or streaming.

Plus, Disney is threatening any Cable Company that threatens to separate it with taking away the ABC channels. There's no way anybody could survive without those.

remnant

Banned
It's not the providers. It's the networks. They don't want to do an ala carte style of system because most networks are unprofitable. Almost every recent television network strike has come from the networks packaging their channels as one big suite, ignoring that many of them lose the provider money.

AMC
Logo
Lifetime
Bravo
Spike
Cartoon network
Discovery
History channel
Syfy
Etc etc

are just an example of many networks that would potentially fall or shrink if your ESPN and the like didn't subsidize them.

Shurs

I'd happily subscribe to the ESPN suite of channels for $5 per month if we could purchase streaming versions of channels online instead of having to go through the cable company.

1-D_FTW

What if all I want is ESPN? How come I can't buy that for 5 dollars and skip all the shitty channels that latch onto that?

It works both ways, you know. And there's no sense bitching about it, because it'll never change.

Even if the content producers broke the old distribution chains and decided they'd publish everything online (to bypass the uncooperative cable/network holders), the cable/telcoms all own the internet. They'd simply institute bandwidth fees that were commensurate with their lost revenue stream.

I think the premium networks like HBO are the ones best suited to break out of this system.

When that glorious day comes when HBO offers HBO GO as a standalone online subscription, it will be a watershed moment in cable TV history.

I'm pretty sure that telecom companies will notice the increased traffic on their end and respond with capping ,throttling, and increasing prices.

Which is complicated even more by the fact that many of these companies offer both internet access and cable television.

ReBurn

Gold Member
As a citizen it is your responsibility to pay for channels you don't watch. That way people get to keep their jobs producing programming nobody wants to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom