• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr1p1ex

Potential cool feature to me is local wireless multiplayer on big screens aka lan gaming that has mostly disappeared on consoles/pcs.

They've had it on the DS and 3ds. It seems like they would carry that over to their next handheld. And thus it would seemingly also be there when hooked up to the tv.

xandaca

The control aspect of this sounds horrendous. Wait and see, of course, but I can't imagine any way a controller made from two sides of a handheld could be satisfying to use. Even if there's no backwards compatibility, fingers crossed you can use the Classic Controller Pro on the TV.

balgajo

As someone who only play on tv I'd like them to launch a second line of console focusing more on performance, like Sony and Microsoft will do. Paying extra bucks for a funcionality that I'm not going to use will be sad knowing that it could be used to play the same games with better IQ.

EDIT: I didn't express my thoughts about the matter so I have to say that I'm very positive about it anyway. Unified library is a dream coming true. Mainline Zelda games between 3~4 years could be possible too!

Proelite

Yeah, 32 is considerably bigger than Wii U's biggest game (around 10GB more)
Not sure if that's enough for 3rd parties, but it's pretty big and you don't have to install games

That seems pretty crazy for a handheld. And I recall Miyamoto and LCGeek talking about improving the CPU as well

They'll have to try to do worse than Jaguar. My phone has a better CPU.

As someone who only play on tv I'd like them to launch a second line of console focusing more on performance, like Sony and Microsoft will do. Paying extra bucks for a funcionality that I'm not going to use will be sad knowing that it could be used for playing the same games with a better IQ.

They will if NX takes off and there was a revolution in hardware tech that allows them to leapfrog Neo and Scorpio for a fraction of the R&D cost. The increased revenue from the extra millions (optimistic) of users who ponies up for a Nintendo console have to pay off the R&D cost.

Honestly if anyone expected Nintendo to bring out a console as strong as the PS4 then you're really dumb.

I'm sorry if my post seems mean but everyone should know by now that Nintendo was never going to bring out a extremely powerful console. Its like you want Nintendo to fucking go bankrupt.

Anyone who expected a extremely powerful machine deserves to be disappointed.

Edit: It wouldn't be a Nintendo thread without the doom gloom.

Depends on which Tegra...

3fee940dcccd7e0f09b0442fea3768ba.png
Please don't post this as if it's relevant.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... you can't get fooled again!

I hate taking my 3ds with all the cartridges, it's so easy to lose one accidentally. Id rather have a hdd where i can keep the 5 to 10 games i want to use on a trip in one single cart without the need to swap. Of course more hdds only for those that don't wanna bother deleting and copying again their games all the time. Basically, I'd rather they go all digital.

You could be all digital now on your 3DS. Flash storage is fairly cheap and reliable.

Snakeyes

Honestly if anyone expected Nintendo to bring out a console as strong as the PS4 then you're really dumb.

I'm sorry if my post seems mean but everyone should know by now that Nintendo was never going to bring out a extremely powerful console. Its like you want Nintendo to fucking go bankrupt.

The PS4 is nowhere near "extremely powerful".

antonz

Just want to know.. is this more powerful than a Wii U but sort of between xbox one/ps4?

if nintendo can pull good graphics with the wii u i am not that worried tbh

If its the X1 its a moderately souped up Wii U no where near XBO/PS4

wapplew

This goes against everything we've heard so far. Nintendo explicitly said it wasn't a hybrid, and instead claimed it would be a unified platform only in the sense of software- a common OS that would bridge different devices like Android or iOS. Iwata even mentioned a "third pillar" being possible, implying that there would still be two devices.

If this is true then it's actually great news for the handheld side of things. A much more powerful system with the ability to connect to the TV... but it would also mean that Nintendo isn't releasing a home console at all... Just an evolved version of a gameboy player. I do most of my gaming at home, even on a handheld, and would much rather have a competent home system. Pretty bummed out about this news, but it conflicts with too much to accept it as truth yet.

That right fucking paddle better have an IR camera in it. Bring it back, Nintendo.

I'm pretty sure a dedicated TV console with similar spec is still coming. NX in different form factor.

If its the X1 its a moderately souped up Wii U no where near XBO/PS4

Depends at which res. That'd basically be a 720p XBO... When XBO is targeting 1080p.
Now, that is we don't know their full plans yet. If they indeed go full hybrid, then looks like I might have been right with my sub 1tflop prediction.

LCGeek

formerly sane
They'll have to try to do worse than Jaguar. My phone has a better CPU.

I say it too much, but I like cut of your jib. Honestly my first posts on here was all from that sentiment, that they can't be fucking trying this hard to fail. Now all they have to do is confirm and I breathe a little easier.

The API though, fuck specs I'm all about mantle/vulkan/dx12 apis right now the abilities you can do especially in weaker spec ranges.

The PS4 is nowhere near "extremely powerful".

Potent is a better word and you can't argue that considering that pcs in it spec aren't doing games like driveclub or the order with the way things are currently using windows with any api attached to it. Potency really matters this generation with the apis we are now using for games. We seeing machines console or pc do things that with older stuff cannot be done or doesn't perform as well.

Box

I hope Nintendo makes a separate ergonomic controller to use when the system is docked. Those detachable things in the mock up look awful for playing on a TV.

Snakeyes

For consoles it is, until Scorpio comes out.

Also I'm not mentioning PC.

Even as a console, it was pretty underpowered compared to previous generational jumps. There's a reason why mid-gen hardware upgrades are coming less than three years after the PSBone launches.

I say it too much, but I like cut of your jib. Honestly my first posts on here was all from that sentiment, that they can't be fucking trying this hard to fail. Now all they have to do is confirm and I breathe a little easier.

The API though, fuck specs I'm all about mantle/vulkan/dx12 apis right now the abilities you can do especially in weaker spec ranges.

They could still go A53 :")

120v

This goes against everything we've heard so far. Nintendo explicitly said it wasn't a hybrid, and instead claimed it would be a unified platform only in the sense of software- a common OS that would bridge different devices like Android or iOS. Iwata even mentioned a "third pillar" being possible, implying that there would still be two devices.

If this is true then it's actually great news for the handheld side of things. A much more powerful system with the ability to connect to the TV... but it would also mean that Nintendo isn't releasing a home console at all... Just an evolved version of a gameboy player. I do most of my gaming at home, even on a handheld, and would much rather have a competent home system. Pretty bummed out about this news, but it conflicts with too much to accept it as truth yet.

i think the cat's been out of the bag on what this is for awhile now, anything said to the contrary was nintendo trying to "explain it all away" as would any company trying to keep a project under wraps.

i think the "unified platform" is more forward thinking, as in whatever comes later you'll never have to buy multiple copies of the same software again, i.e. just like any other modern ecosystem.

i think if this takes off nintendo might be nudged toward an "NX 1.5/neo" type of proposition where you have a dedicated home console that plays all NX games but at 4k/vr or whatever, but that's just out of my ass talk

joedick

Potential launch window:

Zelda: BotW
Pikmin 4
Dragon Quest XI
Beyond Good & Evil 2
Mother 3 (though this probably goes to Wii U to fill a gap)
Splatoon rerelease
Smash 4 rerelease

...not bad

If Nintendo has something in the works with wider appeal, this could be like the Wii launch with Zelda + Wii Sports.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about this earlier, and I could see them make varying form factors for the NX platform, each running the same games....

That's often the problem with leaks. You don't get the full picture. I'd be very happy if Nintendo released a new portable/hybrid in March and then released a new "power base" in the fall as their "home console." Or a more traditional console with the same architecture and whatnot.

Just want to know.. is this more powerful than a Wii U but sort of between xbox one/ps4?

if nintendo can pull good graphics with the wii u i am not that worried tbh
We don't know for sure. Maybe the dock bumps up the power and even Eurogamer mentioned that the hardware was not final and it could use the X2. If that's the case it could be pretty close.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Even as a console, it was pretty underpowered compared to previous generational jumps. There's a reason why mid-gen hardware upgrades are coming less than three years after the PSBone launches.

This such a borked concept. Moores law alone in practical terms we can measure is proof you can't expect the insane jumps we had for starting out with 2d, then 3d, and then the jumps from shaders along side massive cpu improvements amd/intel gave us had from the pentium wars that literally only died down in recent years (plz let zen be ungodly).

That doesn't happen anymore and I'm with most expecting it is unhealthy.

Nope. The ps4 was extremely outdated upon release. The x360, when it launched, on the other hand, faired much better in terms of where technology was at that point.

We weren't going to get the performance most wanted at the launch of PS4. I say it all the time they should've had strong cpus but at that time I can't imagine a single strong intel/amd going in to 400$ machine.

Potent is a better word and you can't argue that considering that pcs in it spec aren't doing games like driveclub or the order with the way things are currently using windows with any api attached to it. Potency really matters this generation with the apis we are now using for games. We seeing machines console or pc do things that with older stuff cannot be done or doesn't perform as well.
If sure hope they use Vulkan since they're part of the group.

wapplew

I was thinking about this earlier, and I could see them make varying form factors for the NX platform, each running the same games....

I sure it will. ARM tech growing very rapidly, maybe handheld NX use Tegra X1, console NX use Tegra X2, and couple years later NX pro use Tegra X3 etc.
They can be very flexible.

Box

Just make the pro controller again and I would be happy. :)

I'll be happy if GameFreak doesn't invent some nonsense reason why their next turn based RPG is incompatible with the TV configuration.

Similarly, whatever pro controller they create should be equal in capabilities to the default controller. The number of games that haven't been playable on the pro controllers for one reason or another has been incredibly frustrating.

KevinCow

Banned
Do you think it would be a good idea to release a cheaper console only version of this thing? Basically remove the screen and battery and have it constantly work as if it's docked?

Also, I wonder if the screen will be a touch screen. On the one hand, it makes sense for a system with a tablet form factor to have a touch screen. People, especially younger gamers who have grown up with tablets, would expect it to. But on the other hand, how would you translate the touch screen controls to console mode?

psyfi

Banned
So now we'll actually get a console based main series Pokemon game heh.
It's hilarious that so many people have mentioned this. I haven't pined for this since the Gamecube, lol. Since then I've always been really content with Pokémon on handhelds.

Snakeyes

Do you think it would be a good idea to release a cheaper console only version of this thing? Basically remove the screen and battery and have it constantly work as if it's docked?
Yes. I still can't believe they want to force everyone into buying a handheld with this thing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
If sure hope they use Vulkan since they're part of the group.

They tend to make their own variants of know apis. I do know they are part of the group but I actually want to see a product with it being wielded.

With doom juicing my vulkan love a nintendo console with it, well I can't give out tmi about my excitement right now.

wapplew

Also, I wonder if the screen will be a touch screen. On the one hand, it makes sense for a system with a tablet form factor to have a touch screen. People, especially younger gamers who have grown up with tablets, would expect it to. But on the other hand, how would you translate the touch screen controls to console mode?

With a touch screen controller, aka WiiU controller.

NBtoaster

As long as it's reasonably modern hardware it wont matter if it isn't quite up to XBO/PS4 tech. It's unlikely to be the kind of platform that relies on multiplatform experiences, rather being focused on unique experiences and the family market.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

They might do that. Make a Nvidia shield model and a nvidia shield tv model

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a sliver of hope I'll get a Madden game for this and I'll finally have a console-quality Madden game I can play wherever I want. That's huge for me.

I could see the controller serving a variety of purposes. It could function as a tablet, handheld gaming device or controller for a home console. The initial release would be NX that can function as a handheld as well as stream games to your television. They can release different NX attachments that can offer different control schemes and alternative gameplay. They could release consoles later that can boost its power. The NX tablet could have upgrades every 2-3 years as well. That way they still don't fully cut off both of their revenue streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom