• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Monthly Charts December 2023 | PS5 #1 +66% YOY, Switch #2 -7% YOY and Xbox series s/x #3 -19% YOY

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
European GSD December 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)
PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
3Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
4Super Mario Bros Wonder (Nintendo)*
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (Ubisoft)
7Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
8Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
9Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
10Assassin's Creed Mirage (Ubisoft)
*Digital data unavailable
Now that Call of Duty is an Xbox first party title it means that PS players are directly paying Xbox to kick their own ass.

It's hilarious how often I see this argument

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think there are only a couple paths for them when it comes to that.

A streaming device that is cloud only.
A high end for-profit machine to carry on the xbox ecosystem for those who want it
A gaming PC that runs the Xbox back end and microsoft store.
LOL good luck with that. I bet the number of Gamepass subscribers who's only option is streaming is probably less than 10K and I bet half of those are those who forgot to cancel the Samsung bundles.

This was suggested on Digital Foundry and I actually think it would be a good move.

Have Xbox partner heavily with one of the handhelds and market is an Xbox handheld. Have it with a custom windows OS that can play Xbox games and PC games and get achievements. Still allow that handheld to play competitor launchers.

Bundle it with 3 months of Gamepass like they do most of these handhelds AND bundle it with 5 free MS owned games that you can pick and keep forever.

Just spitballing here. That is one area I can see Xbox carving itself a niche.

That would be really difficult to pull off.

There's no reason why they'd need to partner with a handheld PC manufacturer rather than just doing it themselves.

If Xbox can't sell why would a portable Xbox sell?

If it can play PC games, how does Microsoft generate revenue?

Man even with the discounts. All of this is so crazy when put into context of the emails Phil and Nadella had early on this gen. Phil was so sure they had a winning formula to destroy PS this year in console sales. Then Nadella questioning how things are going and hoping they aren't to far behind. I can't even imagine what's going on at Xbox these days.

LordCBH

Man even with the discounts. All of this is so crazy when put into context of the emails Phil and Nadella had early on this gen. Phil was so sure they had a winning formula to destroy PS this year in console sales. Then Nadella questioning how things are going and hoping they aren't to far behind. I can't even imagine what's going on at Xbox these days.

Phil: “well you see mr Nadella, we had over 5 million planet visits in Starfield”
Nadella: what about sales?
Phil: “eleventy billion hours of ship customization”
Nadella: “but the sales?”
Phil: “and at least 7 vampires were killed in Redfall this year.”

They clearly haven't done enough to differentiate themselves in the console space, and missed with big exclusive games this gen. They had the hardware, but clearly thought Gamepass could sell the console. it's rude awakening time, and I have no idea if they will quit the console business or not. I personally would be gutted, as I enjoy my Xbox hardware but I'm not going to blame anyone outside of MS. They need to step up and prove everyone who doesn't believe in the hardware wrong. That's on them to do. Only way to win customers over.

I deffo think they should bring more games out on Switch and PS5, just stick to making hardware as well. Is that realistic reality or not, I have no idea.

No, it's not realistic. At some point, Microsoft is going to lose brick-and-mortar retail entirely and Xbox will be available for purchase online only. When that happens sales will crater to a point that is almost unsustainable.

You've got to sell enough hardware to warrant retailers allocating space for systems and for physical games.

What we're seeing in Europe is a preview for the UK and North America.

Look at Best Buy ending the sale of physical media for movies. In the near future it'll be a direct/warehouse sales only. That works a lot easier for movies than it does Xbox hardware.

PlayStation 5 sales surged 177% across Europe
Across tracked European markets, 7.4 million video game consoles were sold in 2023, which is a rise of nearly 42% over the year before.
This is mostly due to the PS5, which saw a 177% increase in sales year-on-year. PS5 suffered severe stock issues during 2022.
PS5 was far and away the biggest console of the year. Nintendo Switch holds the No.2 spot, with sales dipping nearly 10% over the year before.
In third place is Xbox Series S and X, which saw sales drop nearly 18% over the year before.
Another platform that saw big growth was PlayStation 4. Again, this console was in short supply in 2022, and as a result sales are up 671% in 2023.
In terms of accessories, 20.5 million peripherals were sold in Europe last year, a rise of 9% year-on-year. The PS5 DualSense controller leads the pack, followed by Microsoft's Xbox Series Wireless controller.

Europe 2023:

-PS4 +671% xDD
-PS5 +177%
-Switch -10%
-Xbox S/X -18%

foamdino

So, we're going from "wait til next year" to "wait til next gen"?
The wait til next-gen comments have already started - 4 years into this gen... I expect an early rush out of the door for the new Xbox hw (if they don't decide to give up on hw altogether).

Late 2025 next Xbox

LordCBH

They're out Thursday

Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They're out Thursday
The same day as the Direct.

I am not expecting anything good as far as sales as I am fairly certain MS would have been screaming through the rooftops if they had increased. If in their best (and really only market with a pulse) market it still down despite being as low as $349 and $149 then they are fucked. There is no way that can be spinned as anything other than total disaster for the Xbox brand, but boy am I excited to see Timdogg, Colteastwood, SinnjitsuSage and Jez try. It also makes me wonder if they specifically chose the Direct on thursday to shield bad holiday sales.

It's great that MS has these games coming, but they should have bee doing this back in 2016 when they still had a chance to make some headway. Even if these games are runaway hits, it will likely be too little too late.

onQ123

People just don't want weak machines (Jim Ryan was right :messenger_grinning_sweat:) nor do they want a subpar AA service sub.
This is false actually , Sony or Nintendo would have sold the hell out of a Series S like device if they needed to.

Nintendo repackaged the GameCube with a new controller & sold it next to Xbox 360 / PS3 & won .

You just have to make people want your product .

diffusionx

Gold Member
Switch having the slow drop-off that is expected from an old platform, but Xbox is starting to look totally non-viable, as in customers do not want this machine.

Sweden85

Across tracked European markets, 7.4 million video game consoles were sold in 2023, which is a rise of nearly 42% over the year before.
This is mostly due to the PS5, which saw a 177% increase in sales year-on-year. PS5 suffered severe stock issues during 2022.
PS5 was far and away the biggest console of the year. Nintendo Switch holds the No.2 spot, with sales dipping nearly 10% over the year before.
In third place is Xbox Series S and X, which saw sales drop nearly 18% over the year before.
Another platform that saw big growth was PlayStation 4. Again, this console was in short supply in 2022, and as a result sales are up 671% in 2023.
In terms of accessories, 20.5 million peripherals were sold in Europe last year, a rise of 9% year-on-year. The PS5 DualSense controller leads the pack, followed by Microsoft's Xbox Series Wireless controller.

Europe 2023:

-PS4 +671% xDD
-PS5 +177%
-Switch -10%
-Xbox S/X -18%
PS4 players bought more games than Xbox Series S and X.. 😂😂😆

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It's fascinating that there are still people who can see this and think Xbox isn't dead as a console.

These are devastating numbers out of Europe and the worst part of these numbers is that 2024 will be FAR worse... They've already pulled the price lever and it failed. There are no other levers to pull here.

Indiana Jones, Avowed, and Hellblade? Even if all 3 of these games were 95s on Metacritic, it wouldn't change the path that Xbox is on.

Indiana Jones could be Uncharted 2 reborn and it still wouldn't make a difference. The momentum is cemented at this point.

The N64 got Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, GoldenEye and Super Smash Bros... all 5 of these were generation-defining games and the N64 still got smoked. Not to mention games like Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong 64, Majora's mask e.t.c.

The difference in lineups here is staggering. All that and the 64 still sold poorly, largely because it didn't have 3rd party support. Wonder what could have been with a more standardized control scheme and disc based games...
Not to be the devil advocate, but I think that the future is why most of us either think that Xbox will recover(they exist) or is too far gone this gen. Xbox have enough games in their pipeline to somewhat hold steady, or sell less than last year, until their rumored early next gen is here. But this hold true only if the competition did not exist. This year will begin with some PS5 exclusives, Nintendo have a new console to sell hopefully soon, and the PS5 Pro should be there at the end of the year. This is why some of us are curious of Xbox plans this year. Will the direct help them? Or will they sell less and less until E3 period? How will GTA 6 help them or hurt them? Will Activision games go on Gamepass and help them? Or will it be just a small bumb? For me the PS5 Pro will kill their strategy of beating the PS5 in price and performance because a cheap PS5 make the S less valuable, and the Series X can't hold it against either a cheap PS5, or a clearly more powerful PS5 Pro. The US December sales thread will be fascinating to see...

onQ123

Europe 2023:

-PS4 +671% xDD
-PS5 +177%
-Switch -10%
-Xbox S/X -18%
Sony clipped PS4 wings to focus on PS5 but they grew back!

Deerock71

What I'm seeing (and am fascinated by) is very little variation for the Switch. It's slightly down, but it's also seven years old at this point. They cut the price $50 across the board, and it'll make history.

Three

I am not expecting anything good as far as sales as I am fairly certain MS would have been screaming through the rooftops if they had increased. If in their best (and really only market with a pulse) market it still down despite being as low as $349 and $149 then they are fucked. There is no way that can be spinned as anything other than total disaster for the Xbox brand, but boy am I excited to see Timdogg, Colteastwood, SinnjitsuSage and Jez try. It also makes me wonder if they specifically chose the Direct on thursday to shield bad holiday sales.

It's great that MS has these games coming, but they should have bee doing this back in 2016 when they still had a chance to make some headway. Even if these games are runaway hits, it will likely be too little too late.
It's smart of them to do it on NPD release day if the numbers aren't great. Means people are talking about the Direct instead. I think they might have done alright in December NPD though.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Rumor is they are going to try to push late 2025/early 2026 even. That’s going to be quite a pitch to both customers and publishers.

I think it’s going to be the biggest mistake they’ve made so far if they do that. they’ll piss off the people who Bought into the current Gen if they just drop a new Gen after 5 years of basically having nothing but the bare minimum. Then they’ll have to deal with PlayStation dropping a console a year or two later that’s stronger, faster, and is either cheaper or matches price.

StereoVsn

I think it’s going to be the biggest mistake they’ve made so far if they do that. they’ll piss off the people who Bought into the current Gen if they just drop a new Gen after 5 years of basically having nothing but the bare minimum. Then they’ll have to deal with PlayStation dropping a console a year or two later that’s stronger, faster, and is either cheaper or matches price.
That’s all true but common sense never stopped then before. I mean look at that Xbox One reveal fiasco.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Europe 2023:

-PS4 +671% xDD
-PS5 +177%
-Switch -10%
-Xbox S/X -18%
What else is there left to say at this point.

Cot Dayum...PS4 means life.

Last edited:
Not to be the devil advocate, but I think that the future is why most of us either think that Xbox will recover(they exist) or is too far gone this gen. Xbox have enough games in their pipeline to somewhat hold steady, or sell less than last year, until their rumored early next gen is here. But this hold true only if the competition did not exist. This year will begin with some PS5 exclusives, Nintendo have a new console to sell hopefully soon, and the PS5 Pro should be there at the end of the year. This is why some of us are curious of Xbox plans this year. Will the direct help them? Or will they sell less and less until E3 period? How will GTA 6 help them or hurt them? Will Activision games go on Gamepass and help them? Or will it be just a small bumb? For me the PS5 Pro will kill their strategy of beating the PS5 in price and performance because a cheap PS5 make the S less valuable, and the Series X can't hold it against either a cheap PS5, or a clearly more powerful PS5 Pro. The US December sales thread will be fascinating to see...

Your average consumer isn't watching the Direct.

Nothing is going to help Microsoft if Walmart stops selling Xboxes.

GTA6 will hurt them if everyone buys it on the PS5 Pro. Games like Hogwarts were already hurting them because its just a defacto reason to buy a console and the console of choice is the PS5.

Activision doesn't have any system sellers. CoD is not a system seller, it sells more than more consoles are already sold. Overwatch is not a system seller. Diablo is not a system seller. Crash and Spyro are no longer system sellers. It might get more people to sign up for GamePass, but they can do that on PC.

If Sony launches PS5 Pro for 600 and drops the standard edition PS5 to 400 and the digital to 350, it's absolutely over for XBS, I mean even without that it is over.

They've already pivoted and said console sales don't matter.

Over the console war is, begun the platform war has.

It's smart of them to do it on NPD release day if the numbers aren't great. Means people are talking about the Direct instead. I think they might have done alright in December NPD though.
It's the opposite, unless they are shadow dropping games, everyone is going to be talking about the npd numbers.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Nadella should sell some IP to win his AI and mobile storefront battles. C'mon Microsoft you don't need those gaming IP...

PeteBull

Competition matters and talent always wins, shit pricecutted to the bone is still shit, good product with a mark up is simply that, desirable product still, just at higher price, we all knew how this gen gonna go, so no surprises there ;D
Edit: Its still surprising how such a failed console selling even what it is selling, its wiiu lvl of terribadness, way below dreamcast or og xbox, that both had plenty of exclusives and were worth purchasing in their era, unlike xbox series nowadays.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

European GSD 2023 Top 20 (Digital and Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
3FIFA 23 (EA)
4Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
6Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
7The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
8Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9Super Mario Bros Wonder (Nintendo)*
10Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
11Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
12Assassin's Creed Mirage (Ubisoft)
13Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
14Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
15F1 23 (EA/Codemasters)
16Nintendo Switch Sports* (Nintendo)
17Resident Evil 4 Remake (Capcom)
18God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
19NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
20It Takes Two (EA)

Ogbert

That Switch is only 7% down, considering it is already way beyond its shelf life is incredible.

Monster console.

Fake

Seeing the Nintendo Switch OLED sales I can't stress enough about how Switch PRO gonna sell.

European GSD 2023 Top 20 (Digital and Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
3FIFA 23 (EA)
4Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
6Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
7The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
8Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9Super Mario Bros Wonder (Nintendo)*
10Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
11Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
12Assassin's Creed Mirage (Ubisoft)
13Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
14Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
15F1 23 (EA/Codemasters)
16Nintendo Switch Sports* (Nintendo)
17Resident Evil 4 Remake (Capcom)
18God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
19NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
20It Takes Two (EA)
Ragnarok still there is kind of amazing considering it had its first 2 full months in 2022 tbh.
It Takes Two...a game from 2021 in there is also...something. Probably the Switch release from 2022 helping but still...that was the previous year and a single platform.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

GTA6 will hurt them if everyone buys it on the PS5 Pro. Games like Hogwarts were already hurting them because its just a defacto reason to buy a console and the console of choice is the PS5.

Activision doesn't have any system sellers. CoD is not a system seller, it sells more than more consoles are already sold. Overwatch is not a system seller. Diablo is not a system seller. Crash and Spyro are no longer system sellers. It might get more people to sign up for GamePass, but they can do that on PC.

If Sony launches PS5 Pro for 600 and drops the standard edition PS5 to 400 and the digital to 350, it's absolutely over for XBS, I mean even without that it is over.
Yeah when you see things that way they are f***ed. If Sony and Nintendo give us great conferences for E3 this year Xbox will find it hard to compete too. At this point going third party will hurt their consoles sales. Not doing it means risk being irrelevant if their games don't sell well because of not having access to the huge PS5 market. Having a early next gen means risking being out of sync with the market, be underutilized by the industry and alienating the existing Series S/X customers. Waiting until 2027/2028 means risking being left in the dust by the PS5 and the Switch 2... Microsoft will have hard choices to make, and I am not sure that they will make them with enthusiast gamers in mind.

Ragnarok still there is kind of amazing considering it had its first 2 full months in 2022 tbh.
It Takes Two...a game from 2021 in there is also...something. Probably the Switch release from 2022 helping but still...that was the previous year and a single platform.

The game is still selling.

It's one of the PS5's must play games. Maybe not to the degree of say Mario Kart 8, but it's still a game a large percentage of new PS5 owners will buy right off the rip.

MrTired

CoD would absolutely be a system seller in a scenario where the weren't obligated to release it on Playstation platform for the next 10 years and the were willing to sacrifice a significant part of the revenue it brings from the Playstation platform.

Shin-Ra

If I’m Phil Spencer, spinning in my Gaming Chair, I’m really impressed with how I’m selling more controllers than Nintendo.

StereoVsn

If I’m Phil Spencer, spinning in my Gaming Chair, I’m really impressed with how I’m selling more controllers than Nintendo.
“Controller Engagement program is outperforming Nintendo’s Switch platform!

Over 9% increase in controller engagement numbers demonstrate more social aspects of our users, reinforcing our GamePass and Multiplayer centric approach to gaming. “

Separately: “Uncle Satya, I need another $10 bil. Next gen we will win for sure with these kind of engagement numbers!”

Woopah

A few thoughts:

• We've reached the end of mega crazy growth %s for PS5, but 66% is still really good.
  • Switch sales are pretty surprising, given it waw down double digit % the last three months.
  • Possibly related to the above, comparing Mario Wonder and Spiderman 2 now and at launch shows just how crazy the legs have been for the former.
  • Xbox Series needs to stay at a low price to maintain barely respectable sales.

How the fuck is Mario Kart 8 still in any top 10? Nintendo could subsist on that game alone at this point.
And remember that's just physical sales. All the non-Nintendo games include digital.

Elios83

This was with Series S at 150€ and Series X at 350€ for the month....Phil's winning strategy has become the death sentence of the Xbox console brand.
I think that long term Xbox will become an optional hardware line of gaming hardware while Microsoft will focus on becoming a major multiplatform contents/services provider.

Top Bottom