• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Q1 2024 Top 5 By Value Spend | Physical: FC 24#1, FF7R#2, Mario Wonder#3 | Digital: Helldivers 2#1, MW3#2, FC 24#3 | Helldivers 2 1st Overall

GK8vdmMXcAAiCvy

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I honestly thought Helldivers 2 was going to just come and go, but it’s proven to be the biggest smashing hit of the year. Absolutely insane. Sony really struck gold with this one and I don’t think anyone saw it coming.

Last edited:
I would love to see what Totoki and Hulst are saying and thinking about when it comes to Helldivers 2's success. It appears as if they have a windfall of a major release that was never planned to be a major release. It's going to be so interesting to see how this impacts their quarterly and fiscal year results. We're about a month away from the fiscal year earnings report.

Full game spending being down YoY isn't a good sign. Glad to see FF7 and Helldivers did well though.

That's completely to be expected with the decline of the Switch and Hogwarts Legacy coming out last February.

Regarding the YoY revenue drops in full game software spend, in Q1 2022 we had banger releases with Elden Ring, Horizon FW, GT7, and in 2023 we had Hogwarts Legacy, but also MW2 selling strong and above what MW3 has done in Q1 2024. Also, if I'm not mistaking in one of the recent European sales reports, Chris mentioned that GSD doesn't have sales data for Palword which was another big hit for the quarter. Taking all this into account the drops are really not that bad imo.

Last edited:

GHG

It beat Oct 2023's $60 Mario Wonder but came behind the $40 viral hit with virtually no marketing.

You literally said it yourself but yet you continue to mouth froth.

There is no shame in coming behind a game that has taken the gaming scene by storm out of nowhere, just as there was no shame in any game placing behind Palworld in the months prior.

At a time when most consumers are feeling the heat due to a resurgent inflation and overall sales are down it's still performing admirably when compared against it's peers.

Last edited:

Q1 isn't traditionally a major month for gaming, but many games have been delayed from Q4 to Q1, inflating Q1 results. This is what we're seeing now.

If Spider-Man 2 had been delayed until Q1 and it probably should have been from a technical standpoint, we would have seen the same impact.

yazenov

It beat Oct 2023's $60 2D game Mario Wonder but came behind the $40 viral hit with virtually no marketing.

The game is like lightning in a bottle with its success. It is also on 2 platforms. At least try to hide your bitter tears.

Att the end of the day, FF7 Rebirth is still a JRPG. What other Jrpgs have mainstream success like FF? I'm waiting.

Last edited:

Hudo

Seeing FIFA and Call of Duty in any charts saddens me.

Don't particularly care for Helldivers, but I guess good for the devs.

yazenov

The data mentioned that Helldivers 2 is ranked number 1 in terms of both physical and digital. Hopefully, we can get the full rankings of the combined physical + digital. At least the top 5 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Also if we can get the percentage of physical and digital revenue spent for full-pakage games?

Last edited:

Three

Q1 isn't traditionally a major month for gaming, but many games have been delayed from Q4 to Q1, inflating Q1 results. This is what we're seeing now.

If Spider-Man 2 had been delayed until Q1 and it probably should have been from a technical standpoint, we would have seen the same impact.
I hope this is the reason but I feel this could be the case for other quarters too:

Last edited:
I hope this is the reason but I feel this could be the case for other quarters too:

A 6% decrease is pretty marginal year over year. It's so dependent on what software comes out.

MW3 was widely panned and Spider-Man 2 was a bit lackluster. MW2 was better received and God of War Ragnarok was multiplatform.

Killjoy-NL

I honestly thought Helldivers 2 was going to just come and go but it’s proven to be the biggest smashing hit of the year. Absolutely insane. Sony really struck gold with this one and I don’t think anyone saw it coming.
Funny to see, since many Gaffers want GaaS to fail.

Killjoy-NL

We want bad GaaS to fail, which is nearly all of them. It is rather sad that bad exploitive GaaS is hiding behind better games to try to justify themselves. If you don't know how HD2 functions, you don't get to talk about it like some regular GaaS with lootboxes.
You implying that I don't know how HD2 functions? Lol

DaGwaphics

Well, the rankings also has CoD, Mario Kart 8 and EAFC too. And looking at the most played rankings, most top positions are GaaS too.

True. Even with that, Hogwarts is still a great example that a lot of $ can be made from single player.

yazenov

Why is so difficult to accept that Call of Duty and FC/Fifa are actually good games…

The latest call of duty is a turd. Check the user score and the critics. It's relying on brand recognition at this point.

We want bad GaaS to fail, which is nearly all of them. It is rather sad that bad exploitive GaaS is hiding behind better games to try to justify themselves. If you don't know how HD2 functions, you don't get to talk about it like some regular GaaS with lootboxes.
Let this comment sit here unaltered if you want to look like a complete tool.
HD2 is GaaS. It doesnt have to have lootboxes and other stuff.

To quote yourself: If you don't know how GaaS functions, you don't get to talk about it.

You know the concept of GaaS? Look up the definition and come back feeling ashamed.

Last edited:

twilo99

The latest call of duty is a turd. Check the user score and the critics. It's relying on brand recognition at this point.

Nah.. If actually play FPS games you will know that the current flavor of CoD is actually top tier

Last edited:
It beat Oct 2023's $60 2D game Mario Wonder but came behind the $40 viral hit with virtually no marketing.
There is almost no doubt in my mind at this point that Square Enix is disappointed with Final Fantasy VII Rebirth's performance.

Final Fantasy XVI met the low end of their expectations, and the SE president,Takashi Kiryu, blamed the performance on the slow adoption rate of the PS5. It appears Rebirth has fallen behind XVI. Rebirth did not receive the budget it did with the expectation that it would fall behind XVI after the PS5 had further grown its install base, even having gone through a holiday, since XVI's release. SE had their PR ready a week after XVI's release to praise its 3million sales performance. They would not be silent on Rebirth if things were looking pretty. The game must've missed its internal projections.

This has nothing to do with hating or loving anything. Until the company clears the air, which they will have to do so once their next fiscal meeting takes place, this is still speculation. By that point, however, I imagine the fans will finally acknowledge something isn't quite right here.

Being number 2 in front an old game that's several months old, and a new game that was a surprise hit --which could be league's ahead for all we know, doesn't give us a good picture, and it aint' really that brag worthy when you consider Europe is not that big a market, and Japan isn't showing good numbers for the game, and NPD had TEKKEN 8 (2 million first month debut, PR from Bandai Namco) ahead of FF7 Rebirth for the year 24' ending mid way through the first week of March for North America: https://wccftech.com/helldivers-2-beat-final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-npd-circana-february-2024/

Square Enix will verbalize how they feel about this game's performance soon enough.

Last edited:
I think people have an irrational hatred towards GaaS.

As much as people like to hate on Fortnite, it's a great GaaS title, as are games like Apex Legends, Warframe, FFXIV, ESO and many more.
You don't get it do you?
The issue is not GaaS games but the incentive they have. GaaS is the only type of game where the studio has a financial incentive to make their games LESS fun.

Every type of game tried to make money, but most of them get to do that by making good, fun games. GaaS is the only game type where there is an incentive to take fun out of the game to make the player pay more.
HD2 developer deliberately avoided that trap because the studio head believe they had to earn the right to monetize. A belief most other GaaS studios don't share.

And for as long as a game-type has a devil on its shoulder telling them "if you just tweak this a little you would make more money on selling power leveling items! Don't worry, just hide the real money item shop from the review copy so journalist can praise it, and put them in AFTER launch!" I would never stop telling you why it is a bad idea. i can't assume a game studio has a conscience.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

You don't get it do you?
The issue is not GaaS games but the incentive they have. GaaS is the only type of game where the studio has a financial incentive to make their games LESS fun.

Every type of game tried to make money, but most of them get to do that by making good, fun games. GaaS is the only game type where there is an incentive to take fun out of the game to make the player pay more.
HD2 developer deliberately avoided that trap because the studio head believe they had to earn the right to monetize. A belief most other GaaS studios don't share.

And for as long as a game-type has a devil on its shoulder telling them "if you just tweak this a little you would make more money on selling power leveling items! Don't worry, just hide the real money item shop from the review copy so journalist can praise it, and put them in AFTER launch!" I would never stop telling you why it is a bad idea. i can't assume a game studio has a conscience.
You don't get it.

There is nothing wrong with the concept of GaaS.
It's just some companies that put predatory business into their GaaS-games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You don't get it do you?

100% false.

The fun GAAS games outcompete the less fun GAAS games. Players quit games that aren't fun.

A 6% decrease is pretty marginal year over year. It's so dependent on what software comes out.

MW3 was widely panned and Spider-Man 2 was a bit lackluster. MW2 was better received and God of War Ragnarok was multiplatform.
Lackluster? It sold over 10M copies in like 2 or 3 months as a PS5 game only (the biggest PS5 exclusive at this point) and has a metacritic of 90.

Y'all have some weird expectations lmao

Top Bottom