• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Video Game Sales (Digital + Physical) For First Half of 2023 - Hogwarts Legacy#1 Diablo IV#2 FIFA 23#3

European GSD H1 2023 Top 20 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
2Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
3FIFA 23 (EA)
4The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
7Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
8Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
9NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
10Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
11God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
12Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
13Dead Island 2 (Deep Silver)
14The Last of Us: Part 2 (Sony)
15Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
16Final Fantasy 16 (Square Enix)
17Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
18Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
19Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
20Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)

* Digital data unavailable

Last edited:
76.1 million console and PC games were sold across Europe during the first half of the year, which is marginally up over the same period in 2022.

The UK was the biggest European market for game sales, representing 15.3 million games sold, a rise of 5.5% over the same period in 2022. This is followed by Germany with 14 million games sold (down 11%) and then France with 11.1 million sales (up 8%). Spain delivered 5.4 million game sales (up 6.8%), while Italy is just behind with 4.9 million (up 2.7%).

Overall 29.1 million physical games were sold across Europe, a drop of 9% year-on-year. 47 million games were sold via digital download stores, which is a rise of 7%.

This is based on GSD data, and includes physical game sold in major European markets, and digital game sales from almost all major publishers across every European country (Nintendo the notable absentee here). Digital games from indie developers and publishers are also not included. For full details on what is counted, check the foot of the article.
Overall, it was a strong half of the year for the big brands. Diablo 4, despite only being on sale for a few weeks when this data was counted, is already the third biggest game of the year. Meanwhile, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom at No.4 sold 13% more copies than Pokémon Legends: Arceus managed during the first half of last year (note: Pokémon launched in January, while Zelda arrived in May). Nintendo doesn't share digital data with GSD, so Zelda performance is purely based on physical sales.

It was a strong year for FIFA 23, too. For the first half of the year, EA's football game sold 24% more units than FIFA 22 managed during the same period.
Delving a little deeper, the best-selling digital game of the first six months was Hogwarts Legacy, but the best-selling physical game was The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.
Hogwarts was No.1 in the big European countries of UK, France, Germany and Italy, although lost out to FIFA in Spain. The Harry Potter spin-off is unsurprisingly most popular in the UK, and the game's sales during the period are over 124% bigger than the UK's second biggest game, which was FIFA 23.

By comparison, in Germany Hogwarts is 14% bigger than the second best-selling game, which was Diablo 4. And in France, the Warner Bros game is 17% bigger than the country's No.2 game, which was The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.

Last edited:
Very surprised by RDR2 being above big new comers like Jedi Survivor and Resident Evil 4; TLOU Part 2 was also boosted nicely by the HBO show and it charted the top 14.

Disco Dave

w4WCnct.jpg

skit_data

ngl, hogwart legacy is really repetitive, i enjoyed during the first 12 hours but after then it went downhill.
+1
There's also way too much loot, it doesn't feel rewarding to get equipment because you know you'll get something better in the next 5 mins. I actually dropped the game half way through because FF16 released and I feel no urge to pick it up again.

xrnzaaas

Hogwarts Legacy will definitely spawn more Harry Potter games (from various studios), especially with the tv series coming up. One of my work colleagues even bought a console for their very first time because they all wanted to play a Harry Potter game. Now imagine a quidditch or some other multiplayer game for the entire family - it will sell equally big even if the quality isn't exactly there.

Woopah

Hogwarts Legacy will definitely spawn more Harry Potter games (from various studios), especially with the tv series coming up. One of my work colleagues even bought a console for their very first time because they all wanted to play a Harry Potter game. Now imagine a quidditch or some other multiplayer game for the entire family - it will sell equally big even if the quality isn't exactly there.
Give me Quidditch World Cup 2.

MrA

Banned
I heard some studionjust released a golem game, that means they're free to work on another fantasy project

Flabagast

ngl, hogwart legacy is really repetitive, i enjoyed during the first 12 hours but after then it went downhill.
100% agree. The first hours are very promising and it is visually gorgeous, but the game does not manage to hold interest very long.

The main culprit would be the writing imho. Story, characters & dialogues all together are very weak and thus the rest of the game can't compensate for it.

Top Bottom