• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

thespot84

It's okay. My one month sub is ending next week and my interest is slightly dropping, just like last May when my last sub was. Perhaps I'll sub again in April.

does it end before march 1? gotta get engraved man!

PS i just started running lvl 4 plexes in lonetrek, doable but slow. Any help welcome! In a drake right now, working on fitting a raven then a noctis to speed things up.

Atruvius

does it end before march 1? gotta get engraved man!

PS i just started running lvl 4 plexes in lonetrek, doable but slow. Any help welcome! In a drake right now, working on fitting a raven then a noctis to speed things up.

Fortunately it ends march 3rd, if it ended before the 1st I'd probably resubscribe just to get my name there. :D

I'm just doing level 2 security missions in my lowly Algos, I really like how that ship looks for a Gallente, their ships usually looks ugly. And I don't have too much money so just losing an Algos worth around 5 mil with fittings feels pretty bad. The most expensive ship I've bought was Procurer for a little over 20 mil, though I stopped mining after I bought so it was kind of a stupid buy from me. But I managed to get the 20 mil back by selling all the ore I had mined that week so that was nice.

thespot84

Fortunately it ends march 3rd, if it ended before the 1st I'd probably resubscribe just to get my name there. :D

I'm just doing level 2 security missions in my lowly Algos, I really like how that ship looks for a Gallente, their ships usually looks ugly. And I don't have too much money so just losing an Algos worth around 5 mil with fittings feels pretty bad. The most expensive ship I've bought was Procurer for a little over 20 mil, though I stopped mining after I bought so it was kind of a stupid buy from me. But I managed to get the 20 mil back by selling all the ore I had mined that week so that was nice.

i suppose if you wanted to continue i'd make some isk off that procurer and get your way up to a drake or myrmidon or something to start lvl 3 missions and possibly lvl 4's. i don't know too much about mining but i think if you made your way into some 0.5 lvl systems you could scan and mine or run mining missions for decent cash

Since my other char went Caldari route, and I know Caldari mission boats are better for PVE, but going Amarr on this char and aiming for a Harbinger. Not sure how well it'll turn out.

We should probably suggest a rule to ban buddy links and such. I'd be afraid this entire thread would turn into buddy links anytime anything happens in game.

It's okay. My one month sub is ending next week and my interest is slightly dropping, just like last May when my last sub was. Perhaps I'll sub again in April.

I'm just doing level 2 security missions in my lowly Algos

Nothing will change between now and April. You have to change. Join an active corp and throw yourself out there.

How about this: for the next week try not to post at all about making isk. Post about any PVP encounters you had. Only post about ISK making if it led to some form of PVP (market PVP is ok, I guess).

as im closing in on the final stretch of large hybrids 5, i login to claim my latest somer blink promo win and turn it into much needed isk and i see that i have 3 vindicators. I know i won 1 from somer blink gambling, 1 that i bought using isk i earned from incursions, but the 3rd one i could not for the life of me remember where it came from. i thought long and hard about it and came to the conclusion that somer blink must have given me 2 by mistake. but upon closer inspection of my contract history i could not locate the 3rd vindi from my somer contracts. as i started to peruse even further more into my contracts i came upon a realization.

So i was joking around with some peeps right before i put my account into hiatus for the "skill queue online ™" trek and i posted a "scam" contract as a joke and i completely forgot about it. i thought i had closed it since it was the last thing i did before putting in large hybrids in the skill queue and just dicked around with my exploration alt for the better part of the month. the usual fare since i basically and running out of "essential: skills below 5 days minimun and they all are pretty much all 10+ day long journeys.

dUdS0Ym.jpg

i feel kinda bad but elated at the same time. debating if i should do the "right" thing and contract it back to him

UBuWL.jpg

thespot84

as im closing in on the final stretch of large hybrids 5, i login to claim my latest somer blink promo win and turn it into much needed isk and i see that i have 3 vindicators. I know i won 1 from somer blink gambling, 1 that i bought using isk i earned from incursions, but the 3rd one i could not for the life of me remember where it came from. i thought long and hard about it and came to the conclusion that somer blink must have given me 2 by mistake. but upon closer inspection of my contract history i could not locate the 3rd vindi from my somer contracts. as i started to peruse even further more into my contracts i came upon a realization.

So i was joking around with some peeps right before i put my account into hiatus for the "skill queue online ™" trek and i posted a "scam" contract as a joke and i completely forgot about it. i thought i had closed it since it was the last thing i did before putting in large hybrids in the skill queue and just dicked around with my exploration alt for the better part of the month. the usual fare since i basically and running out of "essential: skills below 5 days minimun and they all are pretty much all 10+ day long journeys.

http://i.imgur.com/dUdS0Ym.jpg
i feel kinda bad but elated at the same time. debating if i should do the "right" thing and contract it back to him

http://i.imgur.com/UBuWL.jpg

It's over a week in? If they haven't contacted you after 10 days or so (and they've been online since) i'd forget about it. They either didn't make a mistake, realized it and didn't care, or don't realize it and probably never will.

Hmmm, I think I might go back to Draking. Switching faction ships won't take too long at my point.

Edit: Just saw some Drake nerf business from last year. Might change my mind...

thespot84

Hmmm, I think I might go back to Draking. Switching faction ships won't take too long at my point.

Edit: Just saw some Drake nerf business from last year. Might change my mind...

beyond the change from 7 hardpoints to 6 it still runs a good tank. With the right missiles I'm getting through lvl 4's with low risk, just takes a while. I'm pretty skilled in shields but I'm running a 120hp/s passive tank right now.

Atruvius

i suppose if you wanted to continue i'd make some isk off that procurer and get your way up to a drake or myrmidon or something to start lvl 3 missions and possibly lvl 4's. i don't know too much about mining but i think if you made your way into some 0.5 lvl systems you could scan and mine or run mining missions for decent cash

I have my Proc at 0.5 System and there's a mining fleet there almost 24/7 so mining can get you ok money because there's a buy back program that buys the ore for more than it's worth at that station. And I don't have high enough standings for level 3 missions yet.

Nothing will change between now and April. You have to change. Join an active corp and throw yourself out there.

How about this: for the next week try not to post at all about making isk. Post about any PVP encounters you had. Only post about ISK making if it led to some form of PVP (market PVP is ok, I guess).

Yeah, I joined Brave and I've had a lot of fun in their fleets. And I've also dabbled into PI so I could get some passive income. I've usually fled from PVP battles but I'll go try some PVP today. I've never really done any exploration so I'll have to try that as well sometime, especially now that I'm in low sec and null is pretty close too.

thespot84

I have my Proc at 0.5 System and there's a mining fleet there almost 24/7 so mining can get you ok money because there's a buy back program that buys the ore for more than it's worth at that station. And I don't have high enough standings for level 3 missions yet.

Yeah, I joined Brave and I've had a lot of fun in their fleets. And I've also dabbled into PI so I could get some passive income. I've usually fled from PVP battles but I'll go try some PVP today. I've never really done any exploration so I'll have to try that as well sometime, especially now that I'm in low sec and null is pretty close too.

you could always look at running c1's. what's your pilot name? i'm vermiscious, always in the neogaf channel

Atruvius

you could always look at running c1's. what's your pilot name? i'm vermiscious, always in the neogaf channel

My Eve terminology is a bit hazy, what does "running c1's" mean? And my pilot's name is Kyle Batanis. I'll have to join the chat channel, I left it because I never saw anyone there. I guess most Eve gaffers aren't from Europe.

To expand on my last post a bit, there's nothing wrong with making money, at all. It's just very boring most of the time to do and to read about. It offers little interaction between players and breeds boredom in the long run. By no means should you stop making isk, rather don't make it your focus. Focus your playtime on trying to get a bit better at flying and going on fleets.

The next balance pass in 1.3 is buffing a couple of frigates and T1 cruisers, so it should help new players even more.

yeah i quit doing incursions for a while because i was playing the game to make isk, and not to actually.... "play".

i made enough isk to hold me by for a cpl of months in plex and just do whatever tickles my pickle.

Atruvius

To expand on my last post a bit, there's nothing wrong with making money, at all. It's just very boring most of the time to do and to read about. It offers little interaction between players and breeds boredom in the long run. By no means should you stop making isk, rather don't make it your focus. Focus your playtime on trying to get a bit better at flying and going on fleets.

The next balance pass in 1.3 is buffing a couple of frigates and T1 cruisers, so it should help new players even more.

I'm just too scared of losing my ship and losing all my isk. Though if I were to lose my money I could always go mining in my proc.

And I did some exploration today. Found a wormhole which took to some alliance's system, didn't see any player's except on guy from my alliance. Did some mining there but it didn't long until some rats arrived so I had to bail. I changed back to my explorer ship and found another wormhole, which then lead to yet another wormhole from which I found two relic sites. It was my first time playing the hacking minigame so I had no idea what I was doing and and blew like 5/8 of the relic ship wrecks. Didn't see any hostiles during that trip, no rats or players and got around 4 million worth of stuff.

I'll try some fleet pvp stuff today or tomorrow. And perhaps I'll re-sub for another month.

thespot84

my goal is to get to a point where 2-3 hours a week gets me enough plex for the month and I can dick around the rest of the time with pvp and such

Jackpot

Banned
I was looking at some of the weapon stats and they make no sense. Like the base damage for a 250mm railgun is twice that of a dual 250mm railgun but the dual ones have much longer range. What's up with that?

Trickster

I was looking at some of the weapon stats and they make no sense. Like the base damage for a 250mm railgun is twice that of a dual 250mm railgun but the dual ones have much longer range. What's up with that?

Do you mean that stats don't make sense in relation to the weapons names? Because yeah that can be a bit confusing. But the stats themselves make plenty of sense. One deals more dmg, but has shorter range. While the other one is a long range weapon, that has lower dmg to balance out the fact that it has long range.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/250mm_Railgun_I

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Dual_250mm_Railgun_I

Same exact range for both guns. The tracking speed varies since the single 250 is smaller than a dual 250. Damage would depend on what ammo you have loaded.

Jackpot

Banned
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/250mm_Railgun_I

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Dual_250mm_Railgun_I

Same exact range for both guns. The tracking speed varies since the single 250 is smaller than a dual 250. Damage would depend on what ammo you have loaded.

Sorry, I was wrong on the range but a single still has a much higher base damage and multiplier than two of the exact same guns combined onto a single mount.

Do you mean that stats don't make sense in relation to the weapons names? Because yeah that can be a bit confusing. But the stats themselves make plenty of sense. One deals more dmg, but has shorter range. While the other one is a long range weapon, that has lower dmg to balance out the fact that it has long range.

Assuming the target is within optimal range, a frigate's 150mm railgun does the same damage as a battleship's 425mm turret, and at a faster rate too. Just seems to make no sense, even allowing for dumbed down physics.

edit: looking at the ammo stats and that seems to be where the difference comes from. Does the damage multiplier apply to all damage stats?

edit: I seem to have taken heat damage as base damage. Still a tiny fraction of my point remains, in that double barreled weapons aren't double their single counterpart's damage.

If you're looking for a "lore" reason why, it's possibly attributed to the different shells used. A dual 250 uses large ammo, which means it probably splits one shell into two separate guns.

A mechanics explanation would involve battleships regularly fitting 5-8 turrets onto a hull while cruisers average 5 at the most. The "dual" line of guns are undersized for the hulls they go on because they're meant to tear apart weaker ships.

The Kin/Therm damage are calculated with the damage multiplier to determine the base damage of the shot. The base shield/armor is how much damage the shot would do to unhardened shields/armor.

Jackpot

Banned
The Kin/Therm damage are calculated with the damage multiplier to determine the base damage of the shot. The base shield/armor is how much damage the shot would do to unhardened shields/armor.

So the final number of damage a shot will do is the base shield & armour stats?

Also, why are fighter-bombers so powerful? They do hundreds of damage and I can only imagine how many a carrier must hold.

edit: so just to be sure, this ammo

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Lead_Charge_S

with its 5.4 shield and 5.7 armour damage in this turret

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Light_Ion_Blaster_I

with its 2.95 damage multiplier will do (5.4 + 5.7) * 2.95 damage per shot to an off-the-shelf T1 ship, and if I wanted to find out the precise damage it did to more specific ships I would need to look at the Thermal, EM, etc damage values to calculate the impact?

So the final number of damage a shot will do is the base shield & armour stats?

Also, why are fighter-bombers so powerful? They do hundreds of damage and I can only imagine how many a carrier must hold.

edit: so just to be sure, this ammo

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Lead_Charge_S

with its 5.4 shield and 5.7 armour damage in this turret

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Light_Ion_Blaster_I

with its 2.95 damage multiplier will do (5.4 + 5.7) * 2.95 damage per shot to an off-the-shelf T1 ship, and if I wanted to find out the precise damage it did to more specific ships I would need to look at the Thermal, EM, etc damage values to calculate the impact?

It's mostly a fool's errand to try to calculate damage. There are a lot more things that go into the damage such as your range and tracking speed, not to mention the other player's resist profile. It's easier to use a fitting program like EFT to calculate it out for you.

Today is the first day of the New Eden Open II.

http://www.twitch.tv/ccp

Lots of great PVP will happen today so get hype!!!

Someone should make a thread in the Gaming board about the tournament~

Support EVE!

There were some ridiculously hype matches so far.

8 CAS vs. Kolbasz Inside

N. Raven ended up burning his highslots out trying to get a F. Typhoon down. The match came down to a N. Raven against a Bellicose and 3 Harpies. With no way for the Raven to attack, the match went to 500% Reverse TiDi as they killed him.

Agmar Money Team vs. Cynosural Field Theory

Agmar played this match to perfection. Two blaster brawling teams duking it out at 120km from the beacon. Agmar didn't lose a single ship to a shield vindi team. Disgusting.

The Ditanian Fleet vs. DyslExodus we may be

This match has the honor of being possibly the worst match in the history of all CCP run tournaments. The Ditanian fleet had their only fleet composition banned and were forced to buy some ships off the market before the match. They dealt a total of 505 damage throughout the match.

team CUBE vs. Providence wisadrs

Team CUBE was piloted by one man eightboxing 3 Nightmares and a frig wing. This match went about as well as you would expect it to.

T2 large hybrids in 24 hours. Another milestone reached. t2 Large blasters for my vindi since i'm going to start incursions again for isk and modules.

Oh man, in L2s now. Really liking my ship. Did that stupid blockade that spawns a billion ships, tanked the hell out of everything.

Need like 50-60 million for the next step. The Harbinger.

Edit: I hate tracking jammers... makes me feel like playing a drone Gallente ship.

Oh man, in L2s now. Really liking my ship. Did that stupid blockade that spawns a billion ships, tanked the hell out of everything.

Need like 50-60 million for the next step. The Harbinger.

Edit: I hate tracking jammers... makes me feel like playing a drone Gallente ship.

tracking jammers are why i prefer missiles to everything else PVE. nothing more annoying than missing 90% of my shots, or having my falloff/optimal range be put in the 2-5k range.

Omg watching the day1 matches.

They set off the fire alarm with a smoke machine? HAHAAHA

Also, that ad for hydra alliance... what's the story behind that? lol

Atruvius

Went exploring yesternight. Explored wormholes over an hour and didn't find any relic or data sites. I enter another wormhole and see a buzzard in D-Scan. I see a message blink in local and notice that there's a guy from my alliance here and he tells me not to shoot him, but I don't even have any weapons fitted on my exploration ship.

I tell him that I've been exploring for over an hour and haven't found anything and he says he's found some relic and data sites from the place we were in and offered to hack them and we'd share the loot. We then go through a few sites and after that he even jettisons the loot he got and lets me have them. Then he asks how much I got loot and I tell him 12.9 mil, he then tells me that he would buy them all from on the spot I would just jettison my loots. He seemed like a nice guy so I do this, and he gives me the the isk and some extra.

I've only done exploring a few times and I've never gotten that much money from it and also met a nice stranger in wormhole. Definitely one of the best Eve moments I've had.

I think I should give up the plex sustained dream.

So many games to play this month. Only pulled in 10mil today on L2 missions.

Need to be doing L4s with a salvager to make big bucks with the amount of play time I think I'll be putting in.

thespot84

Went exploring yesternight. Explored wormholes over an hour and didn't find any relic or data sites. I enter another wormhole and see a buzzard in D-Scan. I see a message blink in local and notice that there's a guy from my alliance here and he tells me not to shoot him, but I don't even have any weapons fitted on my exploration ship.

I tell him that I've been exploring for over an hour and haven't found anything and he says he's found some relic and data sites from the place we were in and offered to hack them and we'd share the loot. We then go through a few sites and after that he even jettisons the loot he got and lets me have them. Then he asks how much I got loot and I tell him 12.9 mil, he then tells me that he would buy them all from on the spot I would just jettison my loots. He seemed like a nice guy so I do this, and he gives me the the isk and some extra.

I've only done exploring a few times and I've never gotten that much money from it and also met a nice stranger in wormhole. Definitely one of the best Eve moments I've had.

that's kind of how I found my old corp. explored in a wormhole and the resident corp killed me, started up a conversation and then they gave me 30m isk for a drake and invited me to join lol

So I was thinking of doing SOE missioning. Heard they are real lucrative. Just wondering what standing I'd have to have with an agent to run L4's and if a Sentryfit Domi could do them ?

So I was thinking of doing SOE missioning. Heard they are real lucrative. Just wondering what standing I'd have to have with an agent to run L4's and if a Sentryfit Domi could do them ?

i believe you need 5.0 standing to be able to access any corp L4 mission.

EDIT:

so i want to get this off my chest.

TEST and BNI coming together just feels wrong to me for some reason i can't put my finger on.

i was thinking of coming back from my BNI isk making hiatus to fund all the pvp but getting into the SOV pie makes me....cautious.

I'm thinking I'm gonna let my alt account, if not my main account lapse. Haven't been playing (or really had time to with other things about) to be able to maintain it via PLEX. If I let my main lapse too at the end of its current time (which I probably will), I can always come back with a paid sub for the first month until I get going again. Just been sucked back into WoW and other games again and there's not really much time for EVE in there at the moment.

Atruvius

i believe you need 5.0 standing to be able to access any corp L4 mission.

EDIT:

so i want to get this off my chest.

TEST and BNI coming together just feels wrong to me for some reason i can't put my finger on.

i was thinking of coming back from my BNI isk making hiatus to fund all the pvp but getting into the SOV pie makes me....cautious.

I don't know anything about TEST. Is TEST then such a different corp from BNI or whats the matter?

I'm thinking I'm gonna let my alt account, if not my main account lapse. Haven't been playing (or really had time to with other things about) to be able to maintain it via PLEX. If I let my main lapse too at the end of its current time (which I probably will), I can always come back with a paid sub for the first month until I get going again. Just been sucked back into WoW and other games again and there's not really much time for EVE in there at the moment.

nooooooo i thought we were supposed to form a small ragtag group of black ops explorers who roll onto gatecampers and fuck up their plans :C

also, now we have ships colors

Top Bottom