• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everwild has been in development (pre-production) for almost 5 years, according to a linkedin profile

CeeJay

Genuine question: What is Everwild (genre, etc.), and what do you do in it?
My guess would be a cross between Viva Pinata and Valheim.

A vast procedurally generated world where you and a load of friends expand in an eco-sensitive manner to encourage a more diverse set of wildlife while also having conflict with other tribes over resources and areas of interest.

That's the vibes i get from the art style and the trailer anyway, could be way off and it could be a looter shooter after all!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
My guess would be a cross between Viva Pinata and Valheim.

A vast procedurally generated world where you and a load of friends expand in an eco-sensitive manner to encourage a more diverse set of wildlife while also having conflict with other tribes over resources and areas of interest.

That's the vibes i get from the art style and the trailer anyway, could be way off and it could be a looter shooter after all!
More tribes would be great if it's true. Such a game has been missing in the gaming space for quite some time now.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Multiplayer action-adventure game like Sea of Thieves.
I kind of got that vibe, but I'm not sure about the gameplay loop. Like are we going to hunt animals for survival or weapon crafting, tame animals, use them as companions while melee battles are going on, etc.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Confused Stephen King GIF by Paramount+

Video games take a long time to make. I seems like sometimes they sit as concepts and are worked on slowly, once they have the man power and/or a more fleshed out idea... then they go into production!

I hope this stick with this one. We haven't seen much, but I liked what I've seen.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Have you never seen preporduction slides for games.
They can be 6+ years old while only existing for tone of a game....literally no lines of code typed up.
Even just coming up with the ideas of what the game is going to be could be 5 6 years out from the designers actually start working on the game.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
NGL, PS owner here and i dont just found out about everwild, wtf

Umbasaborne

Banned
Every game takes like 20 fucking years to come out these days so who the fuck knows when this will come out. My most anticipated upcoming game right now is the next mass effect and i know ill be in my thirties by the time im actually able to play it (28 now)

Haint

Many studios do more in 1 year with 150-250 people than Microsoft's do in 5 years with 300-800 people. Now we know how Phil convinced Nadella they had to either buy everyone out, or exit the games business. The release slate he took in to that meeting must have been abysmally bad. What a dumpster fire of gross mismanagement propped up by unlimited funding.

Last edited:
Fanboys drivel is unreal. Overlooking there's a vast difference from Pre Production to Production. RARE takes years to make their games and have done since the N64 days.
Speaking of Nintendo, how are Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 coming along?

Hezekiah

Banned
3 years isn’t half a decade. And of those 3 years they had another game come out on the year 2.
2016-present bio: “Developing the setting for Everwild, an original Xbox title.”
2017-2019 bio: “Worked on a little bit of Sea of Thieves, but was mostly doing pre-production for Everwild.”
2017-present bio: “Excited to be leading a team of creative, talented people, focussed on creating the next, incredible and extremely special new IP from Rare.”

It's 2021 in case you aren't sure of the current year.

jakinov

2016-present bio: “Developing the setting for Everwild, an original Xbox title.”
2017-2019 bio: “Worked on a little bit of Sea of Thieves, but was mostly doing pre-production for Everwild.”
2017-present bio: “Excited to be leading a team of creative, talented people, focussed on creating the next, incredible and extremely special new IP from Rare.”

It's 2021 in case you aren't sure of the current year.
Which part of that says that they are still in pre-production? None. All we know is that they were at least in preproduction from 2016 to sometime at least between 2017-2019 (as he/she spent most of their time doing pre-production during that time period). But could be longer. The 5 years of pre-production comes from OP's title, not even OP's embeded tweet or the linkedin profile.

All we know for sure is the game has been in development for 5 years; but again they had another game being developed in full-production at the same time.

Corndog

Banned
Many studios do more in 1 year with 150-250 people than Microsoft's do in 5 years with 300-800 people. Now we know how Phil convinced Nadella they had to either buy everyone out, or exit the games business. The release slate he took in to that meeting must have been abysmally bad. What a dumpster fire of gross mismanagement propped up by unlimited funding.
I certainly think some of their studios have underperformed(343i). But not all. Coalition, turn10 and playground all seem to have fairly consistent output.

Kimahri

Banned
I must have learnt a different form of english than you guys.

It does not say it has been in pre prod for five years, it says three years, and in development for five. Is reading this difficult?

They are literally the ones that said that themselves, so not sure what this mocking tone is about.
They literally didn't say that though. What they literally said is that they're literally playing around with gameplay ideas, which is literally not unheard of far into development.

But people literally don't care about that if they can find an excuse to fake outrage for two seconds.

FireFly

It's not as if long development cycles are unusual in the games industry, especially when including pre-production time.

Haint

I certainly think some of their studios have underperformed(343i). But not all. Coalition, turn10 and playground all seem to have fairly consistent output.

Problem is 2 of those studios are producing racing games with many shared/recycled assets and (comparatively) far less creative production than other studios are doing. There's a reason there are so many Dirt's, Grid's, Dirt Rally's, Assetto's, Project Car's, Wreckfests, etc..., they are straight forward to produce and borderline assembly line productions. By the by, Turn10 hasn't put out a game in 4 years, and Playground has been working on Fable since 2017 or earlier, with neither having anything to show save for 30 second concept teasers. The Coalition is MS's only studio with respectable recent output, but even there, Gears 4 and 5 are so similar they might as well be expansion packs of each other.

It's not as if long development cycles are unusual in the games industry, especially when including pre-production time.

1 or 2 studio's fucking up once or twice would be normal, this has has been a pattern spanning decades and probably a dozen+ studios. Remember Lionhead, FASA, Blacktusk, etc? You've probably already forgotten more failed projects and studios than they've actually released.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Which part of that says that they are still in pre-production? None. All we know is that they were at least in preproduction from 2016 to sometime at least between 2017-2019 (as he/she spent most of their time doing pre-production during that time period). But could be longer. The 5 years of pre-production comes from OP's title, not even OP's embeded tweet or the linkedin profile.

All we know for sure is the game has been in development for 5 years; but again they had another game being developed in full-production at the same time.
"Xbox has a lot of amazing studios and these games are coming but I've had few conversations with friends at Xbox Games Studios and those games they announced, Everwild, Perfect Dark, Fable are so far away" (April 2021).

There's this, then you've got people at Rare talking as recently as July saying they're not sure what type of game it will be.

Then there are your 'probably's' regarding resources and Sea of Thieves - despite having no idea of resource allocation or the level of recruitment that has been undertaken by Rare.

You're not taking this very well are you. But nobody knows anything about the game, or has seen any real footage.

There's every indication this game is in development hell. Or development purgatory if you will.

Last edited:

jakinov

"Xbox has a lot of amazing studios and these games are coming but I've had few conversations with friends at Xbox Games Studios and those games they announced, Everwild, Perfect Dark, Fable are so far away" (April 2021).

There's this, then you've got people at Rare talking as recently as July saying they're not sure what type of game it will be.

Then there are your 'probably's' regarding resources and Sea of Thieves - despite having no idea of resource allocation or the level of recruitment that has been undertaken by Rare.

You're not taking this very well are you. But nobody knows anything about the game, or has seen any real footage.

There's every indication this game is in development hell. Or development purgatory if you will.
I never made any argument that the game was coming any time soon. The initial point of contention was that lack of release date didn't mean they were in development hell and neither was the 5 years of development for the reasons I've already mentioned previously.

They said they were playing around with different gameplay ideas and implied that things were tentative which is fine, that's one of the reason why a lot of developers choose to show things close to release when things are more firm. If the game isn't expected to come out anytime soon I don't see it as a huge development problem until they decide that none of those ideas are good enough

I deliberately use the word "probably" because I don't like to make anything I say sounds like I'm saying it as a fact. I'm simply using inductive reasoning to make my argument. I don't need to know exactly what happened. There'd be no point in contention for that if either knew what happened. I'm basing my point on the fact that this is what is commonly done with projects that overlap. Some resources start on new projects and often eventually converge. There's also a bit of common sense that they probably aren't going to have a bunch of people like programmers and 3D animators working on the brainstorming part of the next game when they have people more suited for the planning work who can start and there's an ongoing project that is likely going to benefit from all the other types of resources.

In regards to how i am taking it. I don't really care about this game. I just disagreed with what you posted.

If there was evidence of problems hindering development or evidence of a lack of substantial progress than sure, I would agree with you. But as I see it ,the release date and the 5 years is explainable.

Hezekiah

Banned
I never made any argument that the game was coming any time soon. The initial point of contention was that lack of release date didn't mean they were in development hell and neither was the 5 years of development for the reasons I've already mentioned previously.

They said they were playing around with different gameplay ideas and implied that things were tentative which is fine, that's one of the reason why a lot of developers choose to show things close to release when things are more firm. If the game isn't expected to come out anytime soon I don't see it as a huge development problem until they decide that none of those ideas are good enough

I deliberately use the word "probably" because I don't like to make anything I say sounds like I'm saying it as a fact. I'm simply using inductive reasoning to make my argument. I don't need to know exactly what happened. There'd be no point in contention for that if either knew what happened. I'm basing my point on the fact that this is what is commonly done with projects that overlap. Some resources start on new projects and often eventually converge. There's also a bit of common sense that they probably aren't going to have a bunch of people like programmers and 3D animators working on the brainstorming part of the next game when they have people more suited for the planning work who can start and there's an ongoing project that is likely going to benefit from all the other types of resources.

In regards to how i am taking it. I don't really care about this game. I just disagreed with what you posted.

If there was evidence of problems hindering development or evidence of a lack of substantial progress than sure, I would agree with you. But as I see it ,the release date and the 5 years is explainable.
More fuel for the fire 😮:

jakinov

More fuel for the fire 😮:

I would say that the problem described by the guy referenced in the article could be more indicative of potential development problems than the 5 year( across two projects).or the lack of release date. Still not enough info to say that it’s signs of development hell yet. Even the poster notes that these were past problems that could be addressed now. If new problems keep arising and/or they are unable to deal with problems timely then they’ll probably end up in development hell. We’ll see.

Hezekiah

Banned
I would say that the problem described by the guy referenced in the article could be more indicative of potential development problems than the 5 year( across two projects).or the lack of release date. Still not enough info to say that it’s signs of development hell yet. Even the poster notes that these were past problems that could be addressed now. If new problems keep arising and/or they are unable to deal with problems timely then they’ll probably end up in development hell. We’ll see.
It won't be out before 2023. Could be 2026 - and they'd be looking at a ten year development period. Pretty incredible even by today's standards. I know Sony were unhappy with Sony Bend taking seven for Days Gone. Ten or anything close is development hell.

Top Bottom