• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exercising: Burning 1000 calories a day good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started exercising with the intent to lose weight (no shit). I'm burning over 1000 calories a day. Is this good or should I be doing more?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Skipping meals and replacing ALL drinks with water is the best way to lose weight. Fuck excercise.

Phoenix

OmniGamer said:
NO! Skipping meals will just put the brakes on your metabolism.

Yep. Skipping meals and replacing drinks with water is one way to build a very unhealthy body. You're starving yourself AND removing sugars (fuel for YOU) that your body can actually burn easily.

Whether or not 1000 is a good thing or not depends entirely on your calorie intake. If you mean 1000 excess calories - you may want to be careful to monitor your intake of vitamins.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Skipping meals would be bad, I'm pretty sure replacing drinks with water would not be bad though.

And drinking really cold water apparently burns calories.

How do you know you are burning 1000 a day?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There's nothing wrong with drinking only water for your thirst... but do be mindful that you shouldn't drink too much at once.

Mumbles

It takes a lot of water before you do any real damage to yourself - although, once you've had too much, you're life is in immediate danger.

As for the 1000 calories, you probably aren't burning that much by exercising. If you're getting that from a workout machine, IIRC they add the basal rate to your exercise to get the number, so the amount you're burning by running/rowing/whatever is somewhat less than that. You may be overdoing it, and still not getting the benefits that you think you are.

And yes, losing weight, for most people, means developing a good diet.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, but anything under a pint an hour is perfectly safe. More probably is too, but it might depend on how much you're expiring or eating... of which figures I have absolutely no idea about. Hell, I might be thinking about a special case here, so again I claim ignorance.

SyNapSe

whoa 1000 calories is quite a bit, but as people have said earlier.. eating healthy is important.

If you drop to eating 1 or 2 meals a day max you are only hurting yourself. Eat Breakfast and Lunch for sure.. dinner can be pretty small, I guess, but that's the meal most people have difficulty with.

SD-Ness

How did you calculate 1000? Using the treadmill?

I would say, depending on weight and health, burning 1000 calories is fine if you feel healthy afterwards. You don't want to kill yourself.

You can also regulate your diet too. Skipping whole meals doesn't work because you'll just make up for it in the next meal, most likely. It just makes you hungrier. If you continue all of your meals, but get rid of the junk that's fine.

Shoryuken

As many people in this thread have said exercise alone won't help you lose that much weight, but studies have shown that those that do exercise are much more likely to have significant weight loss and maintain that weight loss. If you can create a caloric deficit (calories taken in minus calories expended) of 1000 calories a day, you'll be losing about 2 lbs a week, which is very good if you're looking for to maintain weight loss over a long period of time. It's usually suggested to lose have a 500 caloric deficit due to diet and a 500 caloric deficit due to exercise per/day.

Hamfam

Uh, just exercise for my about 30-45 mins in the morning, and eat normilly for the rest of the day, (no sweets and stuff) and keep that up for a month or so, and you'll have done it.

There's no way you can keep that up, and it would be incredibly unhealthy if you did, so yes, it's stupid.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Hitokage said:
Yeah, but anything under a pint an hour is perfectly safe. More probably is too, but it might depend on how much you're expiring or eating... of which figures I have absolutely no idea about. Hell, I might be thinking about a special case here, so again I claim ignorance.

It very much depends on the situation. I've had times where I'm working on a roof all day long and gone through almost 2 gallons and still didn't need to piss after it was all done. I'm not always dripping with sweat either, you might not realize how much water you lose through evaporation when you're active, especially in a dry climate. I'm also 6'3, 220, so you can't really put any kind of exact estimate on an amount that's 'safe' to drink.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hamfam said:
Uh, just exercise for my about 30-45 mins in the morning, and eat normilly for the rest of the day, (no sweets and stuff) and keep that up for a month or so, and you'll have done it.

I've been trying variations on that routine for nearly two years without success. Between half-an-hour and an hour of exercise in the morning (or evening), with an additional half hour of jogging a few times a week. My food intake is pretty low, although I've cycled through eating very little, to several small meals, to two meals, to consuming almost entirely fruits and vegetables, etc... As for drinks, I've cut out everything except water, save for the occasional glass of milk or tea.

It's hard not to feel utterly defeated by my body after this amount of time. There's been some slight yo-yo'ing of weight (I'll drop 5 - 10 lbs. and gain it back after a bit) but never anything noticible visually.

Hamfam

Meh, spend that extra time doing some relatively high rep weight training (10-12 reps), and eatting decently instead. That way you'll not only increase your metabolism (helping weight-loss), but you'll stop yourself burning muscle.

God's Hand said:
I've started exercising with the intent to lose weight (no shit). I'm burning over 1000 calories a day. Is this good or should I be doing more?

How are you figuring out the calories? Also, are you talking 1000 caloriesover the entire day, or like in one session of exercise?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If you're going to do that much exercise, you're prob better off cutting back slightly on the cardio, and throwing some weight training in the mix. Stronger and bigger muscle will burn more calories when you're working out AND when you're not. Multiple different types of exercises really hits your body too..it's more than the sum of its parts.

1000 a day is great though. Last summer I was buring 500-600 a day, and by the end of the summer the results were better than I initially expected. It's important that you don't don't do too much though - do as much as you can keep up in the long term. If that's 1000 calories, then great!

But also - do watch the diet. No point in burning 1000 if you're balancing it out with your food. When I say I was burning 500/600 a day, that was a net negative 500/600. There are sites on the web where you can look up the calorific content of loads of different types of food, but that info should also be on the labels.

Matt

Mike Works said:
That's like advising someone who's got 1 minute to get to the lobby from the 100th floor of a skyscraper to jump out the window.
lol, well, you said it, not me...

Besides, I wasn’t advocating he actually do it, I was just refuting the idea that it wouldn’t work.

Mumbles

But really, that's the sort of thing where people feel like crap for as long as they do it, and then almost always regain the weight (and some extra) as soon as they get off of it. So no, it really doesn't work for the vast majority of people.

KingGondo

Banned
Just use common sense: combine a healthy balanced diet (including complex carbs, protein, vitamins, fruit & veggies) with high rep weight training & cardio. And drink plenty of water, along with at least a daily dose of skim milk (if you can stand it)--I've heard that the complex vitamins in milk help your metabolism greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom