• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

http://orne.ws/1PEnyUb
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...d-militia-members-take-over-federal-building/

Can't copy and paste quotes for some reason but here are a couple links. The Bundy family is at it again.
An armed militia group has taken control of the headquarters building at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in southeastern Oregon and intends to stay there for a year, the Oregonian newspaper of Portland reported Saturday. The takeover followed a peaceful protest Saturday in which hundreds of demonstrators gathered in support of two local ranchers who are due to begin a prison sentence Monday.

No one was hurt in the takeover, according to initial reports, and the wildlife refuge center was unoccupied at the time. Militia leaders included Ammon Bundy, son of Cliven Bundy, the Nevada rancher and anti-government activist, as well as two of Ammon Bundy's brothers. The exact number of militia members inside the building wasn't immediately clear, though media reports have estimated that at least 150 protesters are inside in support of Steve Hammond and Dwight Hammond Jr.
In a phone interview with the Oregonian, Ammond Bundy said that “would not rule out violence if law enforcement tries to remove them.” He called the headquarters building “the tool to do all the tyranny that has been placed upon the Hammonds” and said he was “planning on staying…for years.” In a message on Facebook Bundy said he planned on establishing the facility as a base for militia members across the country

Machina

Banned
wirXNSF.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Actually, this is great. Unlike the other situation, this will garner no sympathy, instead it just outs them for the extremists they are.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I expected Married with Children gifs, but I guess its early.

I hope it ends with no bloodshed...but I doubt it somehow!

akira28

so...a gang of men with a single gun break into empty government building during the federal holiday, intend to squat, mostly because they need a place to stay.

Furyous

Cliven Bundy is a church member and the same dude that had a standoff with the feds in the past. Let me consult facebook...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
so...a gang of men with a single gun break into empty government building during the federal holiday, intend to squat, mostly because they need a place to stay.

One gun? These people? Probably call you a commie pinko fascist for only carrying one gun. Likely there's more guns than people there.

Mike M

Nick N
Will be interesting to see how this plays out...

The Bundys are sovereign citizen/Posse Comitatus loons who are overdue for a dose of reality. I hope this is resolved in a manner without violence that still locks these people up.

akira28

One gun? These people? Probably call you a commie pinko fascist for only carrying one gun. Likely there's more guns than people there.

I know, I was trying to paste them as harmless incompetents. They plan to stay there "forever". well.

Branduil

How the hell are the Bundys not in jail yet? If the federal government was actually the tyrannical force they think it is they'd be dead already.

Lenz44

Banned
Whelp, no better time than the present to bring up another round of far right terrorism. These people are all dangerous idiots

Someone throw together a map of possible nuke zones for me related to this hostile takeover. I'm on my phone and can't get it together until tomorrow.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
There's no place for people like this in our country. I don't know how you deal with them though. These fuckers want to go out in a blaze of glory. It'll help recruit more assholes to their cause, but at the same time, you can't just sit by and let armed assholes take over.

This is terrorism

What no, this is freedom fighting. We all know terrorist are the brown foreigners, not these god fearing Americans who just want the government to know that they won't just stand by and let their rights be taken away. These are the true heroes our country deserves, as they fight for all of us against the tyrannical force that is the United States Government. I applaud these people. I salute these people. I am loading my guns now to join these people.

Just to be safe, the above is all sarcasm if anyone was confused or thought I was serious.

This is just such a stupid situation. I don't even understand what these people really want.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Bundy got off scott free last time around, and no doubt he feels more emboldened than ever. Dude really needs to get imprisoned/shot.

Also, these militia goons are real tough, taking a stand against the Federal government by going after the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service.

Monocle

heck yea, get er done! that'll learn president HUSSEINs gubbermint! WE THE PEOPLE are reddy and willing to take our freedums back from the libruls.

USA! USA!

Chichikov

This is terrorism
While I definitely acknowledge the fact that if those people were muslims they would probably be droned to death by now, and yeah, that's fucked up, but at the same time, those people are idiots who are most likely pose very little immediate threat to anyone.
Yeah, they should be dealt with, but we don't need to escalate the situation. We don't want another Ruby Ridge on our hands if we can at all avoid it.

besada

Banned
These aren't a bunch of peacenik protesters. These assholes are armed to the teeth and are practically begging for a showdown with the feds.
It's not actually clear how many are militia and how many are just protestors, or how well armed they are. The place was closed when they seized it and it led from a large protest. There's some evidence they have Idaho Militia with them, but no one is clear on how many and what the mix is. Of course they're all trespassing on federal property, but they'll try to talk out as many as they can.

eu pfhor ia

Neo Member
yeah these people should be doing 25-life for terrorism charges (the people threatening any/all gov. employees with death, that is)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wouldn't the police just surround the building and wait? Eventually they would at least run out of toilet paper.

Chichikov

They backed down from the first Bundy confrontation for that very reasoning, and it only empowered them. They are from Nevada, wtf are they doing in Oregon? They need be punished for breaking the damn law or they are going to keep escalating.
It was the right call to de-escalate that situation.
They shouldn't let him have his cows or get off without punishment, but that was done mostly for political reasons.

Again, those people are idiots, I'd still rather not kill idiots if it is at all possible, and I think it most likely be possible in this situation.

Talking about them as terrorists not only ramp up the rhetoric to heated levels, it allow the government to take some rather extreme actions against them, actions that I'm not sure are warranted by the level of risk the pose.

Wouldn't the police just surround the building and wait? Eventually they would at least run out of toilet paper.
That's exactly what they should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom