• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
If it was as the guys said it was...

It wasn't, as a court of law found when they were tried. In one case, they intentionally set fires on federal land to cover up poaching, and in the other they set a fire break without notifying the firemen who were actively fighting the fire, thereby endangering them and violating the law. Firebreaks set on your own property need to be coordinated with the local authorities, which they didn't do.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
No the militia and their actions aren't the gray part, that's pretty black and white.

It's the guys initial sentence. I would have figured it was the responsibility of the Government or some other governing body to ensure there were fire breaks around the properties. The gray part for me is how the guys were initially charged for something that I would have thought was a legal responsibility of the local councils.

If it was as the guys said it was, they were back burning to ensure food for livestock on their property wasn't destroyed (and again, I would have figured the local council should have already provided a fire break or back burn't themselves anyway), 5 years definitely seems a bit steep, especially after they were sentenced, served their time and now being told to go back in again.

Back burning is usually done by land owners, but needs to be coordinated with local officials because they can go badly wrong.

But that's irrelevant as these two guys had their own family testify that they set the fire to cover up illegal poaching.

Some shit going down?

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st...ntilli_militants_suppor.html#incart_big-photo
Two people have been shot and Ammon Bundy is in custody, according to a YouTube live stream report by Pete Santilli, who was speaking outside a hospital in Burns.

http://koin.com/2016/01/26/malheur-militia-law-enforcement-01262016/
An Air Link helicopter was dispatched to Burns late Tuesday afternoon amid unconfirmed reports of gunshots fired in connection with the nearly 4-week-old Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation, KOIN 6 News confirmed.

eu pfhor ia

Neo Member
news is breaking that two people have been shot and ringleader Ammon Bundy is in police custody

Sounds like one way or another this takeover is about to end. Here's hoping no more bloodshed, but much more justice for these swine

Sagroth

I've become convinced the feds haven't moved in because this standoff is so entertaining.

mrHGRBQ.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8TTWujUGsU

Militiaman Wants To Fight Chris Christie Sumo Style Over Constitution

Oh my god.

OH MY GOD.

I refuse to believe that this is a real thing.

Edit: Oh man, didn't realize serious stuff was going down.

Sagroth

Who is that? I haven't picked up any of the names other than the Bundys

He's the dude who has the stream going that announced the two folks getting shot. Apparently it's going down live on his stream, but it keeps cutting out for me.

Edit: Now it looks like he wasn't arrested after all?

Sagroth

It should be pointed out that the shots were apparently fired during a traffic stop, and not so far at the compound itself. It is also unclear who fired first at the traffic stop. Currently it appears though that the authorities are telling those at the compound that it is time to leave(but they are free to go).

Edit: another update:

http://katu.com/news/local/leader-of-oregon-occupation-ammon-bundy-three-others-arrested

Despite the link name, it's saying another 8 have been arrested.

Edit 2: It appears St Charles Hospital is on lockdown, and there is a blockade on a stretch of road. Gonna see if I can get a reputable link to verify.

Edit 3: Here it is: http://www.ktvz.com/news/takeover-day-22-rancher-renounces-grazing-contract-at-refuge-event/37604310

Sagroth

For those of you just tuning in, this seems to be the story so far:

-Shots were fired during a traffic stop earlier today involving Ammon Bundy and several of his followers. It is uncertain who fired first.
-Two men were shot. One was sent via helicopter to St Charles Hospital, which is now on lockdown.
-Ammon Bundy is in custody, as well as at least 8 others.
-A 50 mile stretch of US Highway 395 has also been closed down.

Edited for correction.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

-Shots were fired during a traffic stop earlier today involving Ammon Bundy and several of his followers. It is uncertain who fired first.
-Two men were shot. One was sent via helicopter to St Charles Hospital, which is now on lockdown.

Edited for correction.

Won't lie...

I'm kind of making the Garnet Face...

ZfZf6Nk.jpg

RPGCrazied

Edited for correction.

And none of this is on the news, just Trump boycotting a debate. Typical, but I hope this is true. Circus has gone on enough, time to arrest all those involved and get back to normal.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Can we get a threat title change to "Terrorist Leader Ammon Bundy In Custody"

edit: Making the big sites front page.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...undy-arrested-law-enforcement-sources-n504911

Ammon Bundy, one of two brothers leading anti-government protesters occupying Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, and four other people were arrested Tuesday in a confrontation with authorities, the FBI said. One person was dead, the FBI said.

Shots were fired about 4:25 p.m. (7:25 ET) when the FBI and Oregon State Police began an "enforcement action" at the wildlife refuge, the FBI said.

Protesters led by Ammon and Ryan Bundy have occupied the land refuge since the beginning of the year. Members of the group had been scheduled to appear at 6 p.m. (9 p.m. ET) for a meeting Tuesday with authorities in the town of John Day in Grant County.

At least 50 miles of U.S. Highway 395 were closed about 5:30 p.m. between Burns and John Day for a "crash/hazard," according to the state Transportation Department.

A spokeswoman for St. Charles Hospital in Bend told NBC News that an AirLink helicopter was dispatched to Harney County and was on standby to transport patients to St. Charles Bend, a level II trauma center, if needed. She said there was no information yet on how many patients might need to be transported.

This is a developing story. Refresh this page for updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom