• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-Zero 99 announced | Available later today for NSO members

Made it to 3rd place, and a few other top 10 finishes. Most of the time I am in the 20s and 30s, plenty of times I’ve crashed out because if you’re not first, you’re last. I actually get more enjoyment by KOing someone just before the finish line or boost pads.

Having a lot of fun except for some disturbing physics and latency.

_Ex_

Imagine going back to 1991 and telling a kid playing F-Zero:

"Hey kid, 32 years from now this game will get an updated release. It will support 99 players simultaneously. And they will all play together over something called the internet."

I am that kid and I still don't believe it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Thousand year door is one of the worst selling of the series but is getting a remaster.
No, really, these comments about TTYD are the best.
The nerds have been shouting from the rooftops for Nintendo to republish/remaster it for like 15 years. Now they're getting it and everyone is acting like nobody asked for this ever. It's bizarre to say the least.

I'll try F-Zero today. I was never good at the game, but I never really enjoyed it either because I wasn't one of those who bought it with their SNES and by the time I played it it was old and too bare ones compared to SMK. This 99 battle royale thing feels like some of the best things they could do with it.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Seems super hectic and "unbalanced" (I don't know how balanced a battle royale really gets, they're all just wars of attrition and the culling process can be arbitrarily mean no matter if it's fun or not.) But I do love the repurposing of classic gameplay and game model to do something brand new, and the 99 BR style can be really fun. Will check it out.

The Skyway thing seems like it actually makes this work, otherwise it would just be pure chaos and you would either drag ass in the back to avoid contact or you would bolt out front and race like your life depended upon the pack not getting close to you. The path seems to be an extraordinarily assistive boost (you can go from last to first so easily) so I'm not sure how much of a cheat that'll end up being (seems like perfect timing of skyway would be the ultimate cheat strategy,) but as I see it working, it's necessary for this game to have any kind of fairness and strategy. Otherwise, it's just bump-and-hope gameplay unless you're in the very front or very rear.

People up front have a much lower chance to earn the energy to use the Super Boost. People in the back have the most likely hood of getting it, while those in the middle have OK chances on either end, but can also take the most damage very easily. The boost *can* be helpful, but it can also screw you over if you use it at in inopportune time (like having it end near a pit stop or shortly before, missing the health boost).

So far it seems the best way to do well is to avoid others, boost out in front, and maintain near perfect racing lines. Also know when to boost as it removes your HP as well.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
People up front have a much lower chance to earn the energy to use the Super Boost. People in the back have the most likely hood of getting it, while those in the middle have OK chances on either end, but can also take the most damage very easily. The boost *can* be helpful, but it can also screw you over if you use it at in inopportune time (like having it end near a pit stop or shortly before, missing the health boost).

So far it seems the best way to do well is to avoid others, boost out in front, and maintain near perfect racing lines. Also know when to boost as it removes your HP as well.
You still collect health when you pop the boost. My strategy has generally been to just keep in the front/middle of the pack and preserving health until the last lap, then push and slam people in the last lap, trying to time it where I’m using my last bit of health to boost in the final straightaway. If you’re in first going into the last lap it’s like you’re bombarded by the explosive red bumper cars. Getting in first right at the end seems to be ideal

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Best finish so far is 5th place. Everybody keeps voting for Mute City and Big Blue sigh
Try getting into the pro tracks. I also just did a Grand Prix that had Silence in it for the first time, those back to back to back 90 degree turns were a shit show 😬

I’ve finished 2nd and 3rd in points in a couple Grand Prix so far, 2nd place was only by one point. This might be my goddamn game of the year if TotK didn’t come out

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Dayam that looked absolutely awful, was expecting a modern update to one of my favourite SNES games and they presented what looks like an absolute pixel mess, if you hit other vehicles you gain damage and explode!?! All I seen was everyone hitting everyone, not my cuppa

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Dayam that looked absolutely awful, was expecting a modern update to one of my favourite SNES games and they presented what looks like an absolute pixel mess, if you hit other vehicles you gain damage and explode!?! All I seen was everyone hitting everyone, not my cuppa
You can spin into people ala the later games, and if you KO them you get a bunch of health back which can be used to boost. It works pretty well, the initial starting areas help spread out the field and it loosens up more after the first lap. The choke points can get crazy though and trying to get through them unscathed and with your momentum is half the fun

Thaedolus

Gold Member
2 hours playtime now. The lack of maps is definetly a big downside because it gets repetitive rather quick. I hope Nintendo adds more maps and variety, otherwise the longevity or retention will suffer. But maybe it's just a side project and they don't take it too serious...
All the maps so far have been from Knight League except White Land I believe, even if they just stick to the original game it’ll have Queen and King coming. So triple the maps total, though some are variants.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Just got first in a 5 race Grand Prix, passing the leader for first place on Silence right at the finish line

Excited Lets Go GIF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

"Hey kid, 32 years from now this game will get an updated release. It will support 99 players simultaneously. And they will all play together over something called the internet."

January 1, 1983 is considered the official birthday of the Internet. Prior to this, the various computer networks did not have a standard way to communicate with each other.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
January 1, 1983 is considered the official birthday of the Internet. Prior to this, the various computer networks did not have a standard way to communicate with each other.
Cool fact bro. If you were around in the early 90s you’d know the internet was nowhere near the mainstream (we just called it “Prodigy” in my house) and the idea of playing online in real-time with dozens of people was the stuff of pipe dreams

Last edited:
Cool fact bro. If you were around in the early 90s you’d know the internet was nowhere near the mainstream (we just called it “Prodigy” in my house) and the idea of playing online in real-time with dozens of people was the stuff of pipe dreams
I'd say the internet boomed in the U.S. a couple of years after AOL launched. Not sure about Europe.

Yeah so the fact that a kid didn’t know shit about it in 1991 (the year AOL launched) isn’t really refuted by the “official birthday of the internet” being several years prior.
We're kind of currently going through the same thing right now with A.I. You'll get different answers in the future when people ask you when the A.I. boom started. Enthusiasts will usually say an earlier year than others.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This game is crazy. And fun.

The really good drivers are in a league of their own though. They stay so far ahead they basically never have to deal with the mess. I played a 3-race GP and the same guy came in first every time with at least a full second's advantage.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You Lie Harry Potter GIF by Sky

diffusionx

Gold Member

KaVOxuB.jpg

who told you that when you were a kid?!?!

Shifty1897

so i finally checked out the trailer and lmao wtf is this shit lol. nintendo took a shit on f-zero fans with this. I was expecting like a gamecube remake and it's the super nes version with 99 racers lol.
I was disappointed too until I played it. Besides, embracing this is our only way to convince Nintendo to port GX.

Jeeves

Meh, why couldn't they make this with the F-Zero X engine/controls/graphics? But eliminate the draw distance, like this cool fanmade mod does.

And yes, i said X, not GX. X has better controls and mechanics for this "you vs 98 people" concept.
I agree that X would have been the best foundation for this.

But...this is awesome for what it is. I have always dreamed of the day I could play F-Zero with 30 real players. Now I get to do it with 99! The chaos, the carnage, the glory of it!! Can't get enough.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
All the maps so far have been from Knight League except White Land I believe, even if they just stick to the original game it’ll have Queen and King coming. So triple the maps total, though some are variants.
Theres 15 maps icons but half of them are stills locked until Nintendos opens the rest

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I was poised to get 2nd place in a race. I hit boost to secure my place, taking my health down to slivers. Someone bumped me, and I exploded like three feet from the finish.
Still had a huge smile on my face.
That’s the calculation I try to make every time, just try to maintain a good position then boost through to the end….works a lot of the time, sometimes I get blasted right before the finish line and I’m still grinning like an idiot and death gripping my controller

zeldaring

Banned
I think it’s amazing that I have a PS5 and badass PC and Steam Deck and I’m still just putting in time on my Switch because of a 32 year old updated game
Look up fightcade it's has like 500 classic games with online play for free I have 400 hours on street fighter super turbo.

New circuits will be unlocked on Sep 29 (Japan time).

In normal F-ZERO 99:

- Mute City II
- Port Town I
- Red Canyon I

In Pro Tracks events:

- White Land II
- Death Wind II

The Queen League will also begin appearing in Grand Prix events.

The remaining King League circuits will be unlocked in mid October.

New circuits will be unlocked on Sep 29 (Japan time).

In normal F-ZERO 99:

- Mute City II
- Port Town I
- Red Canyon I

In Pro Tracks events:

- White Land II
- Death Wind II

The Queen League will also begin appearing in Grand Prix events.

The remaining King League circuits will be unlocked in mid October.
Cheers! will add this to the OP.

Top Bottom