• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake GBA Metroid cartridges, yes or nah?

HF2014

Might get a GBA soon, and want to experience the Metroid of GBA, which i never did! But getting them seem a wallet breaker for authentic carts. Anyone got these fake cheap cartridges of ebay? Are they reliable for saves? Do they have differences with graphic?

ZoukGalaxy

Be better off on getting a flash cart for the GBA. All the games you could ever have then.
Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

Definitely.

Don't waste your money on a fake GBA cartridge.

Last edited:

Banned
Hacked my wii ages ago and use it for all kinds of emulation, but for some reason I never got around to hacking the Wii U that we still have hooked up in my kid's bedroom. Perhaps it is time...

it is! The Wii U can play everything the wii can, and it has the GamePad as an awesome bonus. Playing GameCube on it is great since it is a 480p screen which matches the output of the GC.
also the Wii U can play GBA easily, it can play a lot of DS games (not every game runs perfectly tho) and is really good for DS games since it has a touchscreen and an option to either use 2 Screens (TV + GamePad) or to have both screens on one.

and last but not least, emulators that are made for the Wii, like PS1 and N64, can be run in overclocked mode where the vWii runs at Wii U clock speeds, which will speed up emulation drastically

dcx4610

I'd go for flash cart. You are looking at roughly $100 but you can have everything. It's worth it.

I do have a few bootlegs but for stuff that didn't get releases like Mother 1+2 and Mother 3. They look professional, I played all 3 to completition and they still work to this day. If you have to go the bootleg route, they are mostly fine.

Banned
As much as your SD card will allow. I have one for a Mega Drive. They're ace!

yeah but for systems that have games with support chips (Virtua Racing, Star Fox etc.) you gotta be a bit more cautious. because these flash carts will not be able to play games like that. for GBA it's save tho since no GBA game uses any support chips inside the cart

Last edited:

cireza

Don't get a GBA, there isn't a single model out there with a decent screen.

To play GBA, the best option is the Wii U GamePad. Digital games are available on the store, so you will get the right price for such an old game.

Last edited:

TexMex

I recently bought a couple of GBA SPs, and both GBA Metroid games.

There is nothing wrong with a reproduction cart. Like anything obviously OE parts are going to be better, but at this point, a newly producted repro cartridge is probably more reliable than something with a 15-20 year old battery in it. They usually work fine enough, especially when you're talking about paying 15-20 bucks for one, versus 100 for an authentic cartridge.

I buy all original ones but that's strictly because I'm a collector and have a terrible sickness. If all you're looking to do is experience the games on original hardware, grab a repro cart.

Might get a GBA soon, and want to experience the Metroid of GBA, which i never did! But getting them seem a wallet breaker for authentic carts. Anyone got these fake cheap cartridges of ebay? Are they reliable for saves? Do they have differences with graphic?
I got a repro cart for OOT on the N64, plays fine but the battery was dead on arrival. Thankfully it's one that can be replaced without soldering. It saved for a while but I was away from the game for maybe a month, booted it up to see if the save was there but it was gone. Pretty annoying but thankfully the cart itself cost like $10 so I wasn't too upset.

You probably don't own a Wii U but the Metroid GBA games are on the eShop. If you have a SNES Classic just softmod it and put a GBA emulator on it. It's easy, plenty of instructions online that will help you navigate it.

I'd look for options outside playing on a GBA before you buy the carts.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I used to have a Revo K101. It can play carts or use games off a microSD card. It emulates other systems, too, but that can be hit or miss. There are other good handhelds like Pocket Go S30 and Retroid Pocket 2. Don't waste money on repro carts, at least not for GBA imo.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

So is the everdrive the best flash cart you can get? I was going to get a gameboy and one of these for a friend.

Banned
I read that VC on WiiU was terrible, a lot of input lag and dark filter
Is it the same for gba games on Wii U?

where did you hear that? because always remember, people often play on shitty TVs and then say the games don't feel like the originals.
and emulation is most of the time a bit more laggy than real hardware for sure, but not in any really bad way.

I could see that N64 might be laggy, since N64 emulation is terrible on most systems, and I think the n64 emulator on Wii U isn't the best

I know for a fact for example that the SNES VC on Wii U has less latency in MegaMan X for example, as the PS4/Switch/Xbox/PC collection version has... so there's that (it's about 132ms on PS4, which is the worst one, xbox is only slightly above to... vs 74ms on Wii U gamepad)
and the Pro Controller is shit and has more latency than the GamePad, which is also something to keep in mind

edit: here the stats measured in MegaMan X1
fHl8sLV.png

source

these are all excluding TV latency, blue are the emulations on various Nintendo Hardware and a PS2 Collectsion, pink are the legacy collection games.
the green ones are all based on handheld latency for Switch and 3DS, meaning their own display latency is measured in
the Switch (USB) is on switch using a wired connection for the Pro Controller (which sucks)
the Switch (Dongle) is Switch using the 8BitDo wireless dongle, which runs on the wired connection + adds Bluetooth latency, so sucks as well

interesting sidenote to that collection, Mega Man X4 on One X is almost as low as the OG PS1 X4... which is crazy tbh for an emulation! only 15ms slower on One X compared to PS1
while PS4 is like... giving up basically lol
K1Hga9c.png

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
My cheap Android tablet I bought at Walmart is the best GBA player. 1280x800 resolution which scales perfectly with GBA games. 10.1" and connect a bluetooth controller. Better than the Switch in tabletop mode. Retroarch is super easy to install.

Last edited:

Banned
I’ve got a vita laying around collecting dust! How do I do this?

pretty easy. there should be tons of video guides online. you only need a few files and then follow the steps. I did it for a friend like 1 1/2 years ago or something and it was pretty straight forward
there are full permanent softmods which require a specific firmware, which you might need to downgrade to. or you can do a "temporary" softmod which basically means you will have to activate the mod every time you boot your Vita, but that's only a few clicks and a few seconds of waiting each reboot... so not the worst thing in the world...

the PSP works similarly and also has 2 ways to mod it. I only have the temporary mod on my psp and honestly can't be asked to do a permanent mod since it's really not that much of an issue.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
pretty easy. there should be tons of video guides online. you only need a few files and then follow the steps. I did it for a friend like 1 1/2 years ago or something and it was pretty straight forward
there are full permanent softmods which require a specific firmware, which you might need to downgrade to. or you can do a "temporary" softmod which basically means you will have to activate the mod every time you boot your Vita... same
the PSP works similarly and also has 2 ways to mod it.
Does Sony ban/kill psn accounts for hacked vitas?

Ya man, just get a flash cart - one of those paired with a GBA SP is pretty awesome. It's not worth it to be burned by fake carts online.

Garage sales/flea markets are great for old GB/GBC/GBA stuff. I used to have a really solid flea market in the area (now it sucks due to covid shutting it down for a year+ and a lot of the usual vendors leaving) and I would routinely see gb stuff for very reasonable prices mixed in with random toys and board games.

this right here is the best GBA if you don't mind it isn't portable:
WiiU-ft1.jpg
My Wii U has been sitting around collecting dust for a while now - I think it's time to mod that bad boy. When all said and done, from what I've read, it's a fantastic machine to hack.

Banned
My Wii U has been sitting around collecting dust for a while now - I think it's time to mod that bad boy. When all said and done, from what I've read, it's a fantastic machine to hack.

yeah, native GameCube playback which is playable using the GamePad, you can mod Wii games so you can play them on the Gamepad using it as a Classic Controller or even a sideways Wii Remote etc, everything N64 and older works as well, GBA, DS... yeah, pretty nice to have modded

Last edited:

HF2014

Oh well. Deal felt for the GBA SP i was about to get, 😤. Hoping i can find one at good price, really want to play these GBA games before Dread! I could still hook up my NES Classic with the GBA games in it, but wont feel the authencity of playing it small sized on the GBA for best resolution.

Wii U could be an alternative for sure, but i dont want to grab back this system. Got rid of it a few months ago, really dont plan to buy one back just for that.

Pretty sure ill see one back for sale at the right price soon. Just suck i thought it was a done deal for tomorrow.

yrcmlived

Neo Member
where did you hear that? because always remember, people often play on shitty TVs and then say the games don't feel like the originals.
and emulation is most of the time a bit more laggy than real hardware for sure, but not in any really bad way.

I could see that N64 might be laggy, since N64 emulation is terrible on most systems, and I think the n64 emulator on Wii U isn't the best

I know for a fact for example that the SNES VC on Wii U has less latency in MegaMan X for example, as the PS4/Switch/Xbox/PC collection version has... so there's that (it's about 132ms on PS4, which is the worst one, xbox is only slightly above to... vs 74ms on Wii U gamepad)
and the Pro Controller is shit and has more latency than the GamePad, which is also something to keep in mind

fHl8sLV.png

source

these are all excluding TV latency, blue are the emulations on various Nintendo Hardware and a PS2 Collectsion, pink are the legacy collection games.
the green ones are all based on handheld latency for Switch and 3DS, meaning their own display latency is measured in
the Switch (USB) is on switch using a wired connection for the Pro Controller (which sucks)
the Switch (Dongle) is Switch using the 8BitDo wireless dongle, which runs on the wired connection + adds Bluetooth latency, so sucks as well

interesting sidenote to that collection, Mega Man X4 on One X is almost as low as the OG PS1 X4... which is crazy tbh for an emulation! only 15ms slower on One X compared to PS1
K1Hga9c.png

ah ok thankyou good to know, and about dark filter is a fake info too? tnx

Codiox

If you want the best experience though get one of the Anbernic devices.

I got the RG351V and the RG351P:

rg351v-vs-rg351p-1160x653.jpg

These bad boys run everything up to N64 and some dreamcast games. The RG351P is pixel perfect with GBA games because the displayy aspect ratio is 3:2.

These days my GBA is only on my display shelf and I play everything in the RG351V.

Last edited:

fHl8sLV.png

source

K1Hga9c.png
Yep. N64 on WiiU is trash. The Wii Virtual Console is better.
Other than that, GBA and SNES are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

Naked Lunch

Get an Everdrive x5 flashcart.
Plays all GBA games including translations and hacks - but the Everdrive also has a built in emulator for Gameboy, Gameboy Color (with a million color paletes to choose from on real hardware), NES, Sega Master System, Game Gear, and Neo Geo Pocket.
Just crazy playing all those systems thru a real GBA.
The Everdrive will of course work on the Gamecube's Gameboy Player too.

As for the console/portable itself:
Get a GBA SP AGS 101. Its backlit with the best screen of all the official GBAs. Maybe avoid the GBA IPS mods because they draw alot of power and sometimes a flashcart will not work properly with a modded GBA.

zeomax

Maybe avoid the GBA IPS mods because they draw alot of power and sometimes a flashcart will not work properly with a modded GBA
The IPS mods are fine. It is the flashcard thats reduce the battery life significantly not the IPS mod.

Last edited:

Banned
Don't do it, GBA emulation on the Vita sounds like a great deal but it doesn't run 100%.

uhm what? GBA emulation is pretty decent even on the PSP, so why would it be a bad idea on Vita? o_O

the only games that really have issues are 3D games and some mode7 style games. but the rest runs pretty flawlessly... on PSP that is.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I had a modded GBA but I sold it because I could emulate on my tablet, this thread is making me want it back. It was super pocketable with a great library of games.

Naked Lunch

The IPS mods are fine. It is the flashcard thats reduce the battery life significantly not the IPS mod.
Battery life is a separate issue though - the flashcart itself will sometimes malfunction without proper power. Sometimes the crazier IPS modded GBAs wont run an Everdrive.
Flashcarts still might work on a modded GBA - but its worth it knowing there is a risk.

When you buy an everdrive from stoneagegamer for example its right in their disclaimer. "Flash carts were developed and intended to be used on un-modified original hardware using original hardware accessories. Stone Age Gamer does not guarantee flash cart operation on clone consoles or modified consoles."

Kinda similar to running a flashcart on an SNES with old or bad capacitors. On one of my SNES consoles with bad caps - it played authentic actual carts fine - but the everdrive was basically unplayable with loads of glitches on the screen. On another of my SNES with good caps - the flashcart worked flawlessly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom