• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metroid Prime Remastered - Is it still great, or is it nostalgia?

Does Metriod Prime still hold up, or is it nostalgia?

• Total voters

conpfreak

I played it for first time this this year, it was great but Phazon Mines was clearly rushed, can't believe nobody thought of adding one of two save rooms to it, that was the only part of the game that would prevent me from playing it again
I think the Phazon Mines design was intentionally. It's one of the only stretches of the game where you have to actively manage damage taken as the enemies at that point hit hard, and you can't just blast your way through due to the beam switching.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think the Phazon Mines design was intentionally. It's one of the only stretches of the game where you have to actively manage damage taken as the enemies at that point hit hard, and you can't just blast your way through due to the beam switching.
My complain is not the difficulty, it's about the lack of save points, I think they messed that up badly. I hate that way of doing "difficulty", it just feels like cheap time sink. The game is properly difficult there, they didn't need to remove save points. Whomever had that idea did a bad job.

Old metroid games have ALWAYS a section like that... Metroid Dread upped the general difficulty and added some checkpoints, that's the proper way of doing difficulty imo.

engstra

Well I finally finished the game and I still stand by my criticisms of the game. Don't get me wrong the game is a 10/10, absolutely loved it but there were a few issues with it still.

Most importantly as previously pointed out, storywise I was expecting a bit more than was given. No issues with finding bits of lore in environment and piecing what was going on on the planet but rather some overarching context. Just briefly telling who Samus is and why she followed Ridley to Tallon IV would've gone a long way. Similarly what a metroid is etc.

I like the map but it could've benefited from having some marker or clue as to which bomb and missile upgrades you haven't picked up yet. You might have already noted that there is a secret path hidden but locked due to not having the tool yet. The map doesn't take a huge time to traverse but finding all 50 missile upgrades was painful. Even after watching a guide and seeing all locations, there were a couple that I thought I'd already picked up but turns out I hadn't. To be sure I had to go through one by one and that took longer than I would've liked.

Combat is not the best but it is what it is. Really didn't enjoy enemies such as fission metroids when you have to switch weapon mid-fight as the controls for doing that is very clunky.

But yea despite this absolutely amazing game and I really hope they'll release remasters of the second and third.

Top Bottom