• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falling Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I'm not a fan of Michael Douglas, and I really can't stand Joel Schumaker...who would've thought there would be a movie out there that involved the both of them that I actually didn't mind?

HBO ran "Falling Down" last night, and I caught all but the first ten minutes or so. It was pretty entertaining; Michael Douglas plays a conservative, right-leaning "average American" who gradually just snaps because of all the little things in life that piss us all off at some point -- gridlocked traffic, unfair convenience store prices, street thugs, etc. As he encounters these things throughout his day, he responds more and more violently. It's an interesting movie because Douglas is the "bad guy", yet you're made to feel for him, as he doesn't lash out until he is provoked.

It's not a good film by any means -- everything is horrendously overacted to the point of being unintentionally hilarious, and there are some pretty significant plot holes. But it was pretty entertaining and it kept my interest until the end, which is more than I can say for other efforts by either of the two aforementioned men.

Anyone else see this? (For reference, it originally came out here in the States in 1993.)

XS+

Banned
It was fun to watch the movie take the hotly-debated issues of its time and demolish them Gallagher-style. It wasn't meant to be a serious drama at all.

Douglas' character reminds me of what would happen if Bill O'Reilly argued with one guest too many on his show, and snaps.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I was wathcing it too... Critics blasted the movie upon release IIRC.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
XS+ said:
Douglas' character reminds me of what would happen if Bill O'Reilly argued with one guest too many on his show, and snaps.
Haha, yeah. Especially that scene with the Korean convenience store clerk.

"You come to my country and you can't even speak my LANGUAGE?" *crash*

The best scene in the movie is when the Mexican gang members try to do that drive by shooting, shoot up the whole block and hit everyone and everything but D-Fens (Douglas), then crash into the alley.

"You missed."

Amneziak

aka The Hound
human5892 said:
It's not a good film by any means
What are you talking about? It's a GREAT movie. My favorite part is when Robert Duvall's character grows his balls back and checks his wife over the phone. And I love his line at the end (in front of the TV cameras): "Fuck you, Captain. Fuck you very much."

bjork

"FUCKIN FAGGOTS! You believe this shit?! Jesus... imagine what those pumpkins do with each other when they're alone. And what about the muff divers? Think about it."

darscot

Maybe I should rewatch this movie. I hated this movie I thought he was basically the ultimate hypcrite and they seem to try and make him out to be a good guy. I just kept hoping some one would beat his ass for being such an idiot.

bjork

"Excuse me. EXCUSE ME. There's other people waitin' ta use this phone."

"Is that right?"

"Yeah, that's right, you selfish asshole."

"Well, that's too bad, because you know what?" :machinesguns the piss out of the phone booth: "I think it's out of order."

Screw GTA, where's my Falling Down game...

The movie is just basically a fantasy as to what every person on earth would like to do every once in a while. Seriously, you have to have at least one scene in this movie where you go, I have felt like doing that before.

darscot

The scene I most fantasized isn't there. When he goes in to the fastfood joint and the punk behind the counter tells him to go fuck himself. For minimum wage be happy I dont wipe my ass with your burger.

bjork

"you think... I'm a thief? I'm not the thief. I'm not the one charging 85 cents for a STINKIN SODA!"

Falling down = <3

human5892

Queen of Denmark
The Hound said:
What are you talking about? It's a GREAT movie. My favorite part is when Robert Duvall's character grows his balls back and checks his wife over the phone. And I love his line at the end (in front of the TV cameras): "Fuck you, Captain. Fuck you very much."
Well, I like it (that much is obvious by my first post), but what I mean is, it's not "good" in the traditional "film" sense -- most of the acting is fairly bad, and there are some considerable plot holes, too.

That doesn't mean it's not enjoyable, though.

My favorite scene is where he says to the old guy dying.

i think it went something like this.....you're going to die wearing that silly hat, how do you feel?

I almost choked from laughing

Pimpwerx

Yup, this was another classic that was panned badly by the critics. I saw it in HBO shortly after it first came on, and I've loved this movie since. It's an empowerment movie. You watch it and think, I want to do that. When I crack, I'm going to go out like that. He stands up for the little guy in this movie. My favorite part is when he RPGs the construction site. I want to do this almost every day. You see all these cones and barricades and light and not a damn thing is being done. If there is anyone, it's like one or two guys standing around with their thumbs up their asses. I want to just blow the whole shit up and be like, "now you've got some work to do bitches." It's gained cult status though, and is one of the few Michael Douglas films I've enjoyed. PEACE.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Pimpwerx said:
Yup, this was another classic that was panned badly by the critics. I saw it in HBO shortly after it first came on, and I've loved this movie since. It's an empowerment movie. You watch it and think, I want to do that. When I crack, I'm going to go out like that. He stands up for the little guy in this movie. My favorite part is when he RPGs the construction site. I want to do this almost every day. You see all these cones and barricades and light and not a damn thing is being done. If there is anyone, it's like one or two guys standing around with their thumbs up their asses. I want to just blow the whole shit up and be like, "now you've got some work to do bitches." It's gained cult status though, and is one of the few Michael Douglas films I've enjoyed. PEACE.
Hey, speaking of that construction scene: is what Douglas made the construction guy confess to true? Do construction crews really work on "nothing" sometimes just to ensure similar budgets for the next year? That part seemed kind of unbelievable to me, but admittedly I don't know much about how that kind of stuff works.

bjork

Drive around So Cal, and it sure seems true. You'll see guys tearing a street up and tying up traffic for weeks at a time, and when they're done, it doesn't even look like they changed anything.

That construction guy is smooth, though. "Hey, fuck you, huh pal?"

darscot

I can't believe so many of you guys like this movie. I found the exact opposite. Maybe because I've actually been in the ditch while the guy in his air condition SUV rolls down his window and bitches that his drive takes an extra five minutes. You wanna get down in this ditch with the shovel asshole.

Same with the fast food scene. I found this glorified whiny people that dont have a clue.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
darscot said:
I can't believe so many of you guys like this movie. I found the exact opposite. Maybe because I've actually been in the ditch while the guy in his air condition SUV rolls down his window and bitches that his drive takes an extra five minutes. You wanna get down in this ditch with the shovel asshole.

Same with the fast food scene. I found this glorified whiny people that dont have a clue.
You're taking the incidents by themselves, though. In the context of the movie, it's all of these little annoyances -- plus Douglas' temper and his past ugly divorce and lost custody of his little girl -- that push him over the edge. It wouldn't be a good movie at all if he lost if just because of the construction or the burger, but it's about all of them put together.

Of course, there's also an underlying theme of foisting the blame on other things -- that's what the parallel between Douglas and the cop is for. The cop has had a tough life, but he's dealt with it, and at the end, he has taken charge of his own life. The same cannot be said for Douglas. In this respect, you're right to be annoyed with Douglas, as he represents those "whiny" people who have lost control.

darscot

I guess any movie that anoys me as much as this one did must be doing something right. Otherwise I wouldn't remember it or care. I guess that they kind of portray Douglas as this weird hero is what irked me the most. For me it's one of those movies you love to hate.

Michael Douglas is awesome.

How can you not like...

Black Rain, Falling Down, Fatal Attraction, A Perfect Murder, Basic Instinct, The Game, Wallstreet, and Romancing the Stone?

He produced Face/Off as well.

darscot

I dont mind Douglas and enjoy most of his stuff but this one just rubs me the wrong way. In Falling Down he is like that cop in Cube. You can't wait for some to kick his ass.

Pimpwerx

Hey, speaking of that construction scene: is what Douglas made the construction guy confess to true? Do construction crews really work on "nothing" sometimes just to ensure similar budgets for the next year? That part seemed kind of unbelievable to me, but admittedly I don't know much about how that kind of stuff works.

That's a fundamental rule of any business. If you work in a department of a larger company, ask your manager sometime how they handle the budget. Budgets should go up, at least incrementally. If you don't, execs look at any decreases as great opportunities to cut costs, so, at least at IBM, our manager always bumped up the budget each year to ensure money would be coming in. Otherwise, we might have been downsized. I'm pretty sure transportation budgets have only ever gone up. As far as construction crews doing nothing, I think that's more to do with lack of supervision. I worked for a construction company, and whenever our super was away, we slacked off hardcore. Construction sucks, as darscor has pointed out. ;) PEACE.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There's even a deeper political metaphor buried at the end of the film. When the detective confronts D-Fens at the pier... it's all about the line where he says "Wait... I'm the BAD guy?" in an almost childlike moment of confusion. I mean sure, on one level the story is about everyday frustrations with the everyday world. However, that everyday world is, in large part, what guys like D-Fens helped build while being totally oblivious to it. There's like this thread of ultimate irony in the whole thing, that the uptight middled-aged White Guy government contract employee is the one to snap and go on a rampage.

I always enjoyed the film, but personally didn't see it as truly great until I realized the full extent of the plot twist and the message.

bjork

darscot said:

So it's the fault of the guy in the SUV? No, it's the fault of the congressmen or whoever decided that we need to turn the roadways into a construction worker's sandbox, building things only to tear them down and rebuild them.

I'd rather see workers making new things or doing something constructive, no pun intended.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Kaijima said:
There's even a deeper political metaphor buried at the end of the film. When the detective confronts D-Fens at the pier... it's all about the line where he says "Wait... I'm the BAD guy?" in an almost childlike moment of confusion. I mean sure, on one level the story is about everyday frustrations with the everyday world. However, that everyday world is, in large part, what guys like D-Fens helped build while being totally oblivious to it. There's like this thread of ultimate irony in the whole thing, that the uptight middled-aged White Guy government contract employee is the one to snap and go on a rampage.
Yeah, that line struck me, too, although you clearly understood it better than I did. Good post.

Mau_Mau

Banned
Falling Down is a classic 90s film falling in the "angry white guy" genre. So many classic, over the top characters & dialogue, there isn't 5 minutes that passes by without a great line in it. My personal favorite scene in on the golf course...

"And now you're going to die, with that stupid little hat on" Haha. Classic.

Mason

I always thought Falling Down was a cool little movie with an interesting message (that you guys have already gone over). And yeah, I love the fast food restaurant scene haha.

A lot of the movie deals with America as being the land of promise and shows just how far that ideal has slipped. The flat hamburger is a metaphor for just how shoddy things have gotten especially in comparison to the photograph of how it is supposed to look.

It also deals with the rich being insulating and having control over the beauty of the country which is shown in the Golf course scene. What do the rich do with this land? The Douglas character then brings up the idea that the rich waste it with golf instead of sharing it with people who would make better use of it.

Then it deals with how division between people only breeds fear with the neo-nazi. The gangs preying on who they think the establishment or the money is.

The movie brings up so many issues and takes on a huge cross section of America in one shot. Joel was in perfect form on that movie.

Pimpwerx

OMG! Joel Schumacher was behind that movie? I just looked on IMDB and didn't realize the man behind the destruction of the Batman series also directed Flatliners and Falling Down, two of my favorite movies. Talk about hit or miss. PEACE.

The reason why people hate Joel is only for those 2 Batman movies. Outside of comic book land he is pretty solid. I think his producers can be to blame on a few of his movies. The script for 8mm has a much different and better ending than the film did.

I liked Lost Boys, Flatliners, Tigerland, Falling Down, Phone Booth, and Veronica Guerin.

human5892 said:

You should read the Richard Bachman book "Roadwork." It touches on this. Plus, just look around whatever town you live in. Hasn't there been at least one construction site where you wondered just what the hell they were doing, and why?

Pimpwerx said:
OMG! Joel Schumacher was behind that movie? I just looked on IMDB and didn't realize the man behind the destruction of the Batman series also directed Flatliners and Falling Down, two of my favorite movies. Talk about hit or miss. PEACE.

He also did The Lost Boys, one of the best vampire movies. Plus it had the two Corey's in it.

Shinobi

Oni Jazar said:
I love Falling Down. The best rant has to be the fast food one :)

[In the Whammy Burger]
Bill Foster: Why am I calling you by your first names? I don't even know you. I still call my boss "Mister", and I've been working for him for seven years, but all of a sudden I walk in here and I'm calling you Rick and Sheila like we're in some kind of AA meeting. . .I don't want to be your buddy, Rick. I just want some breakfast.
Sheila: You can call me Miss Folsom if you want.

lol.gif
That Sheila chick was a total hottie too, at least in that scene. Can you believe she's 40 years old now? She's one of Michelle Pfieffer's sisters too. Count on me to provide some of the most pointless triva imaginable.

Oh yeah, and to expand on my favourite scene in the movie that others have touched on...

Bill Foster: What are you trying to do? Kill me with a golf ball? It's not enough you have all these beautiful acres fenced in for your little game, but you gotta kill me with a golf ball? You should have children playing here, you should have families having picnics, you should have a goddamn petting zoo. But instead you've got these stupid electric carts for you old men with nothing better to do.
[Shoots a golf cart]
Bill Foster: Now aren't you ashamed?
[After Bill shoots the golf cart, triggering Frank's heart attack]
Bill Foster: What's wrong?
Frank: My - heart...
Bill Foster: Well, what can I do about it?
Frank: Pills... get p-pills...
Bill Foster: Where are your pills?
[Frank points towards the cart, which has just plunged into a water hazard]
Bill Foster: [to The Golfer that is having a heart attack] Bad news. Your little car's gonna drown. And you're gonna die, wearing that stupid hat! How does it feel?

(The "How does it feel?" bit is what killed me...just hilarious)

A few more choice quotes...

Gang member 1: Whatcha doin' Mr?
Bill Foster: Nothing.
Gang member 1: Nahh, man. You're trepassing on private property.
Bill Foster: Trepassing?
Gang member 2: You're loitering too, man.
Gang member 1: That's right, you're loitering too.
Bill Foster: I didn't see any signs.
Gang member 1: [pointing at a graffiti skull] Whatcha call that?
Gang member 1: Nahh man, it's not fucking graffiti. That's a sign.
Gang member 2: He can't read it man.
Gang member 1: Well then I guess I'm gonna have to read it for you. It says this is fucking private property. No fucking trespassing. That means fucking you.
Bill Foster: It says all that?
Gang member 1: Yeah.
Bill Foster: Well, maybe if you wrote it in fucking English, I would fucking understand it.

[Bill Foster approaches the gang after they crashed]
Bill Foster: You missed.
[Foster picks up the UZI and shots to the car]
Bill Foster: I missed too.
[Foster threatens the gang member as he begs for his life. Foster shoots him in the leg]
Bill Foster: You see? That's the concept
[Picks up the gym bag with the guns]
Bill Foster: Take some shooting lessons, asshole

Sergeant Prendergast: What did this guy look like?
Angie: I don't know, he looked like you except he was taller and he had hair.

Panhandler: That's a hell of a way to treat a vet, man.
Bill Foster: You're an animal doctor?
Panhandler: No, a vet. A veteran. I was in 'Nam, man.
Bill Foster: What were you - a drummer boy? You must've been 10 years old.
Panhandler: I meant the Gulf. I meant to say the Gulf. Jesus. Come on. All I'm asking for is a little change. I haven't eaten in three days.
[has a sandwhich in hand]
Panhandler: Well, I mean, except for this.

Nick: Fuck you. Who the fuck are you? Are you fucking with me? I...
Bill Foster: I am just disagreeing with you. In America, we have the freedom of speech. The right to disagree.
Nick: Fuck you and your freedom.

Bill Foster: Hey. Why are you putting barbed wire on that fence? Is this how you rich people amuse yourselves? You put barbed wire on the fence so innocent people like me can hurt themselves looking in?

This movie kicks all sorts of ass...just look at it as a dark comedy and it looks like a work of genius with a ton of great quotes. Some of the stuff like the rocket launcher scene is so ridiculous that I couldn't help but laugh. I've held off buying the DVD cause I'm hoping they'll release a remastered version at some point, but if I find it cheap I'll pick it up. Great flick.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Yardley> "This is Sargeant Prendergast. Damn fine work, Prendergast."

Prendergast> "Fuck you, Captain Yardley. Fuck you very much."

Kaijima said:

I always enjoyed the film, but personally didn't see it as truly great until I realized the full extent of the plot twist and the message.

Good point, I hated the film until the ending. Not many get the overall message, they're into the whole angry white male motif. If you pay attention to the nuances you can appreciate the movie. I saw it that the theatres and hated it (trialer mislead the purpose). BUt one weekend I watched it at home at...'got it'. At the end he finally was able to put the pieces together in that short introspective moment...and that's what made the film.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Warm Machine said:
A lot of the movie deals with America as being the land of promise and shows just how far that ideal has slipped. The flat hamburger is a metaphor for just how shoddy things have gotten especially in comparison to the photograph of how it is supposed to look.
I'm with you on your other observations, but this one is a bit of a stretch for me. What in that scene or the rest of the movie would give you this idea?

I think it's more likely that scene was intended to provide, at most, a light commentary on truth in advertising, and superficially a commentary on the questionable quality of fast food burgers. ^_^

Mustang

Banned
I loved the convenience store part where he says he is going to "roll back prices" and then commences busting up the store. :)

The Whammy Burger part is choice also.

Oh, the golf course scene.

"Now your going to die wearing that stupid hat on your head"

Matlock

Banned
Bill Foster: [to customer at WhammyBurger] How are you enjoying your meal?
[customer vomits onto tray]
Bill Foster: [to manager] Hey, Rick, we have a critic here! I don't think she likes the special sauce.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
from ESPN.com..

FALLING DOWN
a_iverson2_ft.jpg

In the movie, Michael Douglas' character was deemed "not economically viable." Team USA's biggest problems? It's not basketball-viable ... and doesn't seem to care. On Sunday, Puerto Rico showed it cared in a 92-73 rout of the icy U.S.

LMAO. go to the main page of espn.com to see the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom