• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: New The Last Guardian, Dark Souls, Armored Core V, and NGP Info (More Soon)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Last Guardian, can't wait!

Dark Souls, can't wait!

Gorgon

The guards will in general try to capture the boy. However, if Torico is in the way, they'll also attack him. They won't actually attack the boy, however -- they'll just attempt to capture him.

Clearly, the boy is The Last Guardian. The guards only want to capture him but will not hurt him. Somehow, the boy's welfare is important to the guards, while the beast is not.

Zeliard

Gorgon said:
Clearly, the boy is The Last Guardian. The guards only want to capture him but will not hurt him. Somehow, the boy's welfare is important to the guards, while the beast is not.

The massive creature seems like a more effective guardian.

StuBurns

Banned
It'd be odd to have the game in Japan named after the creature and in the West named after the boy. I think the creature is the guardian.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sigh, the scans... why are they always so fucking terrible?

Gorgon

StuBurns said:
It'd be odd to have the game in Japan named after the creature and in the West named after the boy. I think the creature is the guardian.

Shit, I forgot that part lol.

Guess you're right.

canova said:
Quite a few new Dark Souls images

Yeah, too bad I can't really see shit in those.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gorgon said:
Yeah, too bad I can't really see shit in those.
I can see... uh... someone who looks like Flamelurker... and... AH! I see clouds!

And... tower of latria..?

Souljiro

Bondfire system sounds interesting for darksouls would be nice if you can also use them for communication or search for other players we shall see.

Everything sounds so amazing about all four of those things.

Dark Souls and the Last Guardian were GotY material already, but capturing territory in AC5?? Win.

Zeliard

6nrrk2.jpg

Bonfire

29dxxkz.jpg

Kicking off ladders mechanic

107q23n.jpg

Looks fantastic.

And it makes sense that the bonfire areas are so colorful since the director wants them to be the only safe areas in the game; a light amidst the gloom.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Captain Pants said:
Great looking character. Hopefully there will be a lot more armor in this game. the stuff in Demon souls was cool, but it would be nice with some more options. :3

Alucrid

Banned
"- In its impressions of the game, Famitsu commented that it exceeded expectations -- it's -real that exceeds real."

What does the latter half mean? Are they saying that the game's so life like it exceeds reality? Or is it commenting on it's status? As in, the game actually exists?

Also, the kicking down ladders, are you kicking enemies off ladders or kicking the actual ladder itself down?

Canova

Banned
Captain Pants said:

did they increase Chutulu size?

here's what it was before

ojox9c.jpg

and i have to say this is by far the best design or the most grotesque design monster in any game out there

Canova

Banned
Alucrid said:
"- In its impressions of the game, Famitsu commented that it exceeded expectations -- it's -real that exceeds real."

What does the latter half mean? Are they saying that the game's so life like it exceeds reality? Or is it commenting on it's status? As in, the game actually exists?

Also, the kicking down ladders, are you kicking enemies off ladders or kicking the actual ladder itself down?

it think it's kicking enemies off ladders

Zeliard

In Lovecraft's darkest fever dreams could he not have conjured up a creature like that. I'm hoping fighting that thing in melee doesn't just amount to circling around it and swiping at its feet, but I can't see how else to fight it close range.

Alucrid said:

It's of a depth and quality so high it exceeds the typical realities of modern console gaming. :p

Zeliard said:
In Lovecraft's darkest fever dreams could he not have conjured up a creature like that...

nah - having just read through almost all his stuff for the third time, i'm pretty sure he could've conjured it up close to effortlessly :) ...

Alucrid said:

i think he means 'exceeds reality' - as in 'the pain you will experience playing this will exceed the feeling you get when you accidentally hit your thumb with a hammer'...

Zeliard

semiconscious said:
nah - having just read through almost all his stuff for the third time, i'm pretty sure he could've conjured it up close to effortlessly :) ...

Heh, the guy rarely described his monsters. He relied on the reader's imagination to piece together the imagery, mostly. His most notorious creations aren't well-defined specifically because the characters in his stories go insane in their presence. Writers after Lovecraft who worked on his mythos developed them with a lot more detail, though some might say that was less effective.

Having said that, I wasn't making a terribly serious point. :>

Zeliard said:
Heh, the guy rarely described his monsters. He relied on the reader's imagination to piece together the imagery, mostly. His most notorious creations aren't well-defined specifically because the characters in his stories go insane in their presence...

very true (tho he provided quite a few excellent 'starting points' :) )...

Zeliard

semiconscious said:
very true (tho he provided quite a few excellent 'starting points' :) )...

I always thought Lovecraft's minimalism was a lot more effective than most of the writers who came after him and really tried to add detail. His entire physical description of Cthulhu spanned like two sentences of somewhat vague descriptions but it was enough to be hugely evocative, since it gave just enough detail to start imagining it yourself but not so much it imagines it for you.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent utterly nailed that sort of concept. You should play it if you haven't, especially if you like Lovecraft.

Alucrid

Banned
canova said:
it think it's kicking enemies off ladders

I suppose so. Kicking down ladders might make traversing the levels a bit harder.

semiconscious said:

i think he means 'exceeds reality' - as in 'the pain you will experience playing this will exceed the feeling you get when you accidentally hit your thumb with a hammer'...
Zeliard said:
In Lovecraft's darkest fever dreams could he not have conjured up a creature like that. I'm hoping fighting that thing in melee doesn't just amount to circling around it and swiping at its feet, but I can't see how else to fight it close range.

It's of a depth and quality so high it exceeds the typical realities of modern console gaming. :p
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Translations are so tricky sometimes. :lol

mattp

Tain said:
Dark Souls better not be getting soft with that bonfire stuff.
bonfire = nexus
seems good to me

also, enemies climbing ladders
yes
you will never be safe in this game

Yoshichan

So fucking good. Scale on Cthulu is ridiculoooooooous

Top Bottom