• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: PSP vs DS

Bishman

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/523/523718p1.html

The magazine put the DS and PSP through twelve rounds with seventy-six Japanese game developers and various other members of the game industry.

ROUND 1: Which do you think will sell better?
PSP = 102, DS = 137, SPLIT = 111

ROUND 2: Which will be cheaper?
PSP = 31, DS = 274, SPLIT = 38

ROUND 3: Which will be released first?
PSP = 98, DS = 152, SPLIT = 101

ROUND 4: Which will have more interesting software?
PSP = 66, DS = 172, SPLIT = 111

ROUND 5: Which design to you like better?
PSP = 251, DS = 42, SPLIT = 58

ROUND 6: Which one do you want to carry with you normally?
PSP = 134, DS = 69, SPLIT = 147

ROUND 7: Which one do you want to play while on the train?
PSP = 140, DS = 91, SPLIT = 119

ROUND 8: Which one makes a better present?
PSP = 104, DS = 89, SPLIT = 154

ROUND 9: Which one has more appealing functionality?
PSP = 113, DS = 149, SPLIT = 88

ROUND 10: Which will feature more fresh, new software?
PSP = 31, DS = 244, SPLIT = 74

ROUND 11: Which one is easier to develop for?
PSP = 114, DS = 98, SPLIT = 134

ROUND 12: Which do you want to be left standing in the end?
PSP = 84, DS = 156, SPLIT = 112

AniHawk said:
I wanna know who the fucking hell thought PSP was gonna be cheaper and why.

m-w.com said:
Main Entry: 2cheap
2 : gained with little effort <a cheap victory>
3 a : of inferior quality or worth : TAWDRY, SLEAZY b : contemptible because of lack of any fine, lofty, or redeeming qualities c : STINGY
4 a : yielding small satisfaction

fugimax

DS wins:
Cheaper
More interesting software
Fresh new games
Most Appealing Functionality
Want to be left standing in the end

Yet people are split on which would make a better present. o_O

"Look mom, Uncle Joe got me this PSP...it has no games, but it's oh so shiny and purty!"

Also, the "Easier to devlop for" being split is weird. Nintendo is famous for easy development and Sony is infamous for pain-in-the-ass development. Weird.

CrisKre

Um that was strange...

One thing is clear though, no matter what part of the world the survey is taking place everyone agrees nintendo has to improve the casing. Really, as fugly as it is DS has been exceptionally well recieved, if they make it more apealling (a lot more) peolple will notice it even more I guess :/

AniHawk

As part of its June 4 issue, the magazine asked readers to select a few items that apply to them. Of the three hundred responders, 14.8% checked that they'd like to purchase a PSP, compared to 11.8% who checked that they'd like to purchase DS. Additionally, 13.3% stated that they'd be waiting to hear the price before deciding on the PSP while 9.4% said they'd wait for the price before picking up a DS. 7.1% stated that they think the PSP's design is cool while just 2.3% stated the same for the DS.

Wuh-oh!

tenchir

Society said:
Sony fanboy developers? Why would they ask Sony fanboy developers about DS in the first place?

It's 76 japanese developers while the rest are various member of the game industry(likely not game developers, and yes some of them could be fanboys).

I've never really understood the big deal about the DS' casing. It's not that horrible. People can be picky. I think it could maybe lose some fat off the edges, but I wouldn't find any less enjoyment with the current design. As long as it can still fit in my pocket it's not much of a problem for me.

Though I still like the PSP design better visually, but feel it lacks at anything other than that.

AniHawk

CrisKre said:
Um that was strange...

One thing is clear though, no matter what part of the world the survey is taking place everyone agrees nintendo has to improve the casing. Really, as fugly as it is DS has been exceptionally well recieved, if they make it more apealling (a lot more) peolple will notice it even more I guess :/

Last night I had a dream I was getting to test both the PSP and DS. The DS had a new design which worked and looked cool. It was in clamshell form still, but looked different.

CrisKre

What I think is it may not look bad with the name they choose to put to the thing on the actual machine and a few nintendo logos. But what I didn't like where the face buttons and cross pad. The material wasn't nice I guess.

If I was in charge - :) - I would give it a I-mac'ish look (with a bit more color and uniqueness to it, not so generic).

"Of the three hundred responders, 14.8% checked that they'd like to purchase a PSP, compared to 11.8%"

So among the Famitsu readers who responded, 44 readers wanted a PSP and 35 wanted a DS. What a scientific survey that one was.

AniHawk

CrisKre said:
What I think is it may not look bad with the name they choose to put to the thing on the actual machine and a few nintendo logos. But what I didn't like where the face buttons and cross pad. The material wasn't nice I guess.

If I was in charge - :) - I would give it a I-mac'ish look (with a bit more color and unikeness to it, no so generic).

Well, like the GBA, the face buttons are way too small. They could be bigger this time around since the system is bigger. They were my main complaint at E3 since they were so small.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Also, the "Easier to devlop for" being split is weird. Nintendo is famous for easy development and Sony is infamous for pain-in-the-ass development. Weird.
That varies from generation to generation. Last gen, I believe the consensus was the PS1 was easy to develop for and the N64 was at least a little trickier. This gen, they kinda swapped positions. Since Sony has only been at this for two gens of hardware, its kinda hard to establish what their trend is. So far, all reports are that the PSP is easy to develop for.

kaching said:
That varies from generation to generation. Last gen, I believe the consensus was the PS1 was easy to develop for and the N64 was at least a little trickier. This gen, they kinda swapped positions. Since Sony has only been at this for two gens of hardware, its kinda hard to establish what their trend is. So far, all reports are that the PSP is easy to develop for.

Yep Sony also said one of their main goals for the PSP is to make it very easy to develop for unlike with the PS2.

It's funny how people are optimistic about the DS even after the crap demos Nintendo had for E3. This is not a troll, I just want to know what's so great about the DS when:

- Like the GBA, it's obsolete hardware.
- Are you serious you want touch-screen in your games? For what exactly? The Metroid demo used it and it was not even close to being fun.
- Dual screen for what? Displaying a map, menus? Great innovation, yeah...
- I doubt Nintendo will be able to support 3 platforms at once. Lack of quality games will probably be an issue, even though developers are licking DS's balls now.
- It looks awful.

The only thing I like about it is WiFi gaming, which the PSP will also have. Battery life is probably the only advantage, but don't think it will be something like GBA, cause wireless is a big battery drainer and with the two screens to suck even more power.

PSP on the other hand is a much more ambitious take on portable gaming. It's got a powerful hardware, amazing 16:9 screen, other uses such as movies and mp3 and, most important, it looks so good.

cvxfreak

Black_Mamba said:
PSP on the other hand is a much more ambitious take on portable gaming. It's got a powerful hardware, amazing 16:9 screen, other uses such as movies and mp3 and, most important, it looks so good.

And it's the same shit we've been playing for 4 years.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nice vs. Hope none of those PSP train riders plan on traveling for more than 2 and a half hours :)

(countertroll, check)

DJ Sl4m

The way I see it, many developers probably want Nintendo to suceed dominate the portable market if only to keep enough profits up for internal development projects and other costly endevors that come with producing and developing high quality software/hardware.

The GC was really nice hardware, but this gen was not nearly as profitable as it could have been for Nintendo, and many developers respoect thier roots and want them to stick around.

SyNapSe

SolidSnakex said:
Didn't stop that the GB/GBA from being big successes.

Exactly, sure the PSP showed a bunch of crap people already play or revisions of popular franchises like MGS, but honestly that's the shit that sells.

Why spend millions developing Street Fighter 4, when idiots will buy some new revision of SF3 for their 4th system. Shrug, much like movies.. sequel-types have a huge chance to sell even if they are at best average.

Anyone defending the DS against the PSP with an argument of Nintendo will have all new original content for the DS.. well, they are probably a bit optimistic.

cvxfreak

SolidSnakex said:
Didn't stop that the GB/GBA from being big successes.

Yes, but no one is calling it ambituous. Plus GBA does things current consoles can't really do in terms of profitability and market breakthrough. With the PSP's shitty battery life, and meant for "home" use, I'll stick to the PS2.

SyNapSe said:
Anyone defending the DS against the PSP with an argument of Nintendo will have all new original content for the DS.. well, they are probably a bit optimistic.

I can understand their argument if they've never owned a handheld up until this point or been interested in one. I don't get the argument though if they're also GB/GBA fans which follow the same line that the PSP does (doing games that could very easily be done on consoles but on handhelds instead).

Mashing

I think the DS will have REMAKES, not direct ports (hmm, where have we had this conversation before... it sounds familar)... Greekboy anyone?

You can't just port a game to the DS, I doubt Nintendo is going to allow that.. they have to take advantage of the unique capabilities of the system...

I'm all for remakes of classic games.

The way I see it, many developers probably want Nintendo to suceed dominate the portable market if only to keep enough profits up for internal development projects and other costly endevors that come with producing and developing high quality software/hardware.

I think so. But the may be giving Nintendo a false hope that they designed a brilliant piece of hardware which will be widely supported. I wonder how many enthusiasts they'll have when the PSP steal Nintendo's portable gaming market share though.

Respect -1000. I like my lunchbox just fine - I don't look at the damn thing, I play Metroid on it. Christ

Tell this to Apple. You may not give a shit about good design, but it's one of the most important things today. The fact that the PSP looks 100x better than the DS is almost enough for me to bet on Sony this time.

And it's the same shit we've been playing for 4 years.

What about online gaming? Playing GT4, Winning Eleven on PSP or mp Zelda on DS looks very exciting to me.

Mashing

akascream said:
*cough*Mario64*cough* ;)

Gee, I don't remember playing Mario 64 in mutliplayer? Was that some hidden option? Did you have to beat the game standing on your head while humming the Zelda toon and rubbing your belly?

Another words, Mario 64x4 was not a direct port

AniHawk

mebigtrollhentai said:
Pokemon has been successful on the GB/GBA, I dont see how playing GT on the PSP wont sell o_O

You're right. Since Pokemon started on the SNES, and continued in handheld form on the GB.

cvxfreak

Black_Mamba said:
What about online gaming? Playing GT4, Winning Eleven on PSP or mp Zelda on DS looks very exciting to me.

Yes but GT4 and Winning Eleven will be far too close to their console counterparts. DS games, if implemented correctly, aren't possible on the current systems. That is the biggest difference between PSP and DS. DS is unique, the PSP not as much. They're both great pieces or hardware but I only respect the PSP for managing to squash down slightly old technology to smaller sizes.

If your talking about the touch screen thingy, I wouldnt be surprise if it screws up the electronic devices in the DS itself like what the VMU did with the dreamcast controller port. I just hope they get their bugs fixed.

Gek54

CVXFREAK said:
They're both great pieces or hardware but I only respect the PSP for managing to squash down slightly old technology to smaller sizes.

*Still waiting to see a truely inovative use of the dual screen and touch screen.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
These two questions are a bit too related to each other IMO. Or maybe it's because I'm not sure what they mean with "interesting". Wouldn't fresh, new software BE interesting?

"ROUND 4: Which will have more interesting software?
PSP = 66, DS = 172, SPLIT = 111"

"ROUND 10: Which will feature more fresh, new software?
PSP = 31, DS = 244, SPLIT = 74"

"ROUND 10: Which will feature more fresh, new software?
PSP = 31, DS = 244, SPLIT = 74"

OMG! I just noticed 31 is the same number that thought the PSP would be the cheapest!

Black_Mamba said:
- Like the GBA, it's obsolete hardware.
- Are you serious you want touch-screen in your games? For what exactly? The Metroid demo used it and it was not even close to being fun.
- Dual screen for what? Displaying a map, menus? Great innovation, yeah...
- I doubt Nintendo will be able to support 3 platforms at once. Lack of quality games will probably be an issue, even though developers are licking DS's balls now.
- It looks awful.

Damn. Troll.

1. Obselte? What's the call on that? most people have regarded it as the more innovative of the 2.

2. why not? It's new and different. And you're talking demos. At least Nintendo had demos. I forgot, you like eyecandy so much you're going with rolling video demos

3. They've demoed that you can use dual screen for more reasons that maps. You can now have a game that plays really vertically and more. That's why developers are excited about the DS

4. They won't have to. GBA games will play on the DS, and then everyone is developing for it. So they will have games.

5. You do know that the E3 prototype is going to be revised?

The one thing i really like about the PSP is that it has an Analog stick ....that alone will make 3d games much easier to play. Imagine playing MArio 64 without an Analog Stick...UGH!

Also really the two screens thing seems like a bit of a gimmick.

neptunes

fugimax said:
DS wins:
Cheaper
More interesting software
Fresh new games
Most Appealing Functionality
Want to be left standing in the end

Yet people are split on which would make a better present. o_O

"Look mom, Uncle Joe got me this PSP...it has no games, but it's oh so shiny and purty!"

you know if I said the exact same thing but on;y the opposite I would be...

Top Bottom