• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1835 | Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth awarded a perfect score

FRS-1835-768x432.jpg

This week’s Famitsu review scores are in.

Harpoon Shooter! Nozomi (Switch) – 7/7/7/7 [28/40]
The Inquisitor (PS5) – 8/7/6/7 [28/40]
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One) – 10/10/10/10 [40/40]

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is the 30th game ever and second Yakuza / Like a Dragon title to receive a perfect score from Weekly Famitsu. The first entry in the series to be awarded a perfect score was Yakuza 5 for PlayStation 3.

Last edited:
It's a hell of a game, that's for sure. I doubt upon completion *I'd* give it a perfect score (and remember, a perfect score doesn't mean without flaw) but I'm certain it will be in the upper echelon for the Yakuza series, JRPG's and games in general 👌

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can not wait to dive into this. I purchased my copy at the weekend and then decided to rush through a man who erased his name. 35 hours later and completing all side quests I am finally approaching act 5 lol. Such a good game. Thanks Gamepass!

NikuNashi

Nope, it just means how much the reviewer enjoy the game…..if that was case then almost all games shouldn’t get 10/10 because one way or another most game have flaws.

Almost no games should ever get a 10/10 score. Thats why we have a very large scale ot use.

Thats exactly what a perfect score means, if it has flaws give it a 93. If you give it a 100 it cannot have a flaws.

Ahhh, I see you're new to this thing called "videogames". No, every single game has flaws of one kind or another, some objective with others being highly subjective. Ultimately this means there can never be a "perfect" game so a perfect *score* should be used to indicate the game is among the best of the best both in it's given genre and the medium in general, period.

I'm so pleased I could edify you, thanks for coming out 👍

NikuNashi

Ahhh, I see you're new to this thing called "videogames". No, every single game has flaws of one kind or another, some objective with others being highly subjective. Ultimately this means there can never be a "perfect" game so a perfect *score* should be used to indicate the game is among the best of the best both in it's given genre and the medium in general, period.

I'm so pleased I could edify you, thanks for coming out 👍

'Thanks for coming out', Ive been here a decade longer that you you stupid prick.

That arse gravy you sprouted is your opinion, and an incorrect one at that. There a 100 different points in the scale to choose from, either use then or give up reviewing videogames. There is no need to even use a 100 score if a game has flaws.

'Thanks for coming out', Ive been here a decade longer that you you stupid prick.

That arse gravy you sprouted is your opinion, and an incorrect one at that. There a 100 different points in the scale to choose from, either use then or give up reviewing videogames. There is no need to even use a 100 score if a game has flaws.
'Thanks for coming out'. I've been reviewing games for 20 years you stupid prick.

That ass gravy you spouted is just pure BS and incorrect at that.
Being on A FUCKING FORUM longer than someone else merits NOTHING! It doesn't give you knowledge or a hallpass to be a total asshole. SO fuck off to RetardEra if you want a false sense of entitlement.

Games will never be perfect from a technical standpoint. It's impossible with 1000s lines of code.

BUT if the small imperfections don't impact the experience and the game is packed with features, content and technological advancements and implements these in a seamless way, then Yes a perfect score can be given.
I actually know what I'm talking about by having been a reviewer for 20+ years, writing for different sites and freelancing for Xbox Magazine.

You know jackshit by being a registered member here for 10 years.
Hell my mother has a drivers license for 30 years and still can't drive for shit because she never uses her car. It means nothing.
Same as you being here 10 years longer (well fucking hooray! Here's a sticker!) and not having profound experience with reviewing as a whole. Its a meaningless stat.

So shut the fuck up, have a coke and a smile and go on with your narrowminded way of "thinking".

You absolute, oblivious donut.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

'Thanks for coming out'. I've been reviewing games for 20 years you stupid prick.

Being on A FUCKING FORUM longer than someone else merits NOTHING! It doesn't give you knowledge or a hallpass to be a total asshole. SO fuck off to RetardEra if you want a false sense of entitlement.

Games will never be perfect from a technical standpoint. It's impossible with 1000s lines of code.

BUT if the small imperfections don't impact the experience and the game is packed with features, content and technological advancements and implements these in a seamless way, then Yes a perfect score can be given.
I actually know what I'm talking about by having been a reviewer for 20+ years, writing for different sites and freelancing for Xbox Magazine.

Hell my mother has a drivers license for 30 years and still can't drive for shit. It means nothing.

So shut the fuck up, have a coke and a smile and go on with your narrowminded way of "thinking".

Cry me a river you big baby. Someone got in your feelings. I can see why you made a career out of reviewing games, Kotaku by any chance?

I will also pose you a hypothetical.

Lets say you and the boys down at Kotaku awarded this Yakuza game a 10 (flaws and all) , then the next Yakuza game is better (less flaws), what do you score it?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
awarded this Yakuza game a 10 (flaws and all) , then the next Yakuza game is better (less flaws), what do you score it?
That depends if the reviewers like the game enough to give that score! Reviews all about your opinion on the movie/music/books/games….its all subjective.

some flaws might bother one player but might not bother others…..maybe the new Yakuza does something that might not gel well with one reviewer but another reviewer absolutely loves it.

Games or any art form are not reviewed by computers they are reviewed by human beings.

Last edited:
Thats exactly what a perfect score means, if it has flaws give it a 93. If you give it a 100 it cannot have a flaws.

This is everything that's wrong with game criticism.

Honest to fucking god reviews should just x/5 stars. No half stars or bullshit like that.

It's to be expected when autistic nerds try to grasp subjective concepts like criticism of an art form. Nothing is binary. It's how much someone likes a game. Anything beyond x/5 is just bullshit nonsense anyway.

NikuNashi

This is everything that's wrong with game criticism.

Honest to fucking god reviews should just x/5 stars. No half stars or bullshit like that.

It's to be expected when autistic nerds try to grasp subjective concepts like criticism of an art form. Nothing is binary. It's how much someone likes a game. Anything beyond x/5 is just bullshit nonsense anyway.
So you want less accurate scores. Were you dropped on your head as an infant?

I hate to say this but it always looks to me like Famitsu give high scores to Japanese developed games. I don't think they are held in the same high regard in the West as they used to be.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is absolutely a fine game but it is a sequel to a franchise that has many similar games. At this point, these games almost feel like remixes of each other, taking the same characters, settings usually (at least this game is set somewhere new) and much of the same gameplay but with a new story. It's a winning formula so I cannot blame the developers or SEGA for using it but I'm not sure I could give any of these games more than an 8 personally. They're fun to play for about 10-20 hours but I usually get bored of them long before I reach the end and by that point another one has come out!

The random combat and abundance of it can make these games feel very repetitive and shallow. I actually though the Judgment and Lost Judgment games were more interesting, leaning into the more investigative gameplay rather than just constant fighting. The one area where these games do excel is the cutscenes, character models and overall cinematic direction but the writing can sometimes be a bit mediocre and other times downright poor/laughable and it isn't due to translation either.

The start of Infinite Wealth for example starts off with a sequence of scenes where the main character has to dress up to date a girl but the writing makes him appear to be a complete idiot. I know the Yakuza and Like a Dragon games feature a lot of this kind of stuff, which is no doubt part of its charm, but often stuff is overexplained with lots of long cutscenes that can sometimes feel tedious as you wait to actually play the damn game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The start of Infinite Wealth for example starts off with a sequence of scenes where the main character has to dress up to date a girl but the writing makes him appear to be a complete idiot.
He is, a lovable idiot. Also he spent all his youth in jail and basically all his life in the real world was in the last LAD game. If you don't like the characters then yeah don't play the games as despite having hours of gameplay they're also story/character driven. Doesn't make them objective criticisms.

Last edited:
He is, a lovable idiot. Also he spent all his youth in jail and basically all his life in the real world was in the last LAD game. If you don't like the characters then yeah don't play the games as despite having hours of gameplay they're also story/character driven. Doesn't make them objective criticisms.

Yes, I get that but all of the Yakuza and Like a Dragon games I've played since my first (Yakuza 0 on PS4) have featured this kind of dialogue and the writing does come across as a bit immature to me at times. Funny often, yes, dramatic at times too, which is great, but there is a lot of cringe-worthy dialogue too that for me knocks a mark off the games. But I accept that it may just be a Japanese thing and that's just how they write their game characters.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I just finished Like A Dragon: Gaiden and was a great 20 hour game which bridged Like A Dragon (Yakuza 7) and Infinite Wealth. Started Infinite Wealth and am about 6 hours in. People need to keep in mind that it starts a bit slow, and build up the characters and starts out in Japan. Eventually everything will culminate with Ichiban getting to Hawaii, but that takes a few hours. Don't think you start that game and BAM!! Hawaii. No....that will come after around 5-6 hours. It's all good though.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Cry me a river you big baby. Someone got in your feelings. I can see why you made a career out of reviewing games, Kotaku by any chance?

Lets say you and the boys down at Kotaku awarded this Yakuza game a 10 (flaws and all) , then the next Yakuza game is better (less flaws), what do you score it?

Its a 10 out of 10 in 2024. If the next comes in 5 years it will be a 10 out of 10 in 2029. You always have to see the year of releases.

Impotaku

Lol SEGA must have paid famitsu well for that review. I wouldn’t call a game that locks new game plus behind a paywall a perfect 40 score kind of game. Half the fun in yakuza is continuing your game after the main story and unlocking the rest of the stuff you missed on your original play through.

Guess people will have to spend time making sure there’s nothing they missed before getting to the end.

Deserved score. Game is absolutely great, even with the scummy new game plus DLC. It’s a big game before you even get there and superb quality all over.

IAmRei

This game looks fun, i only played the first, and love it. It has fun combat. And the combat and the style is kind of me as well. Glad they got huge numbers in famitsu.

Fabieter

Lol SEGA must have paid famitsu well for that review. I wouldn’t call a game that locks new game plus behind a paywall a perfect 40 score kind of game. Half the fun in yakuza is continuing your game after the main story and unlocking the rest of the stuff you missed on your original play through.

Guess people will have to spend time making sure there’s nothing they missed before getting to the end.

You dont have access to the adventure mode without the dlc?

Someone must mean something to me before they can hit me in the feels. You dont. Get off your high horse. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You want to throw Whataboutism into the mix now? You're wrong. Suck it down.

Dont act like you know better. Or, I dunno start your own fucking site and review yourself if you think everybody is wrong. How old are you, 15? Because you act like a entitled brat.

Or are you going to tell the mechanic that works on your car how to do their job also just because you dont agree with the price?
Yeah. Thought not.

You're a male Karen, that much is true. Mail the 'manager' of Famitsu or something, ffs.

Last edited:

AMSCD

Hell my mother has a drivers license for 30 years and still can't drive for shit because she never uses her car. It means nothing.
Same as you being here 10 years longer (well fucking hooray! Here's a sticker!) and not having profound experience with reviewing as a whole. Its a meaningless stat.

Imagine being this triggered about someone's opinion on a video game review points system.

Imagine being this triggered about someone's opinion on a video game review points system.
I cant stand imbeciles who start foulmouthing others when they're dead wrong and pretend to be know-it-alls.
Let's just say stupidity triggers me, yes. Guilty.

Impotaku

You dont have access to the adventure mode without the dlc?
I have only seen news going around about it but that’s a huge turn off for me as I like continuing to upgrade my char after the main story is done as it’s fun to blast through again with all the moves unlocked etc. In previous games new game plus was always a feature in the main game not tied to expansion dlc. Need to wait for someone to finish western version to see if they have done it in that version too as so far people have only based this info off Asian release.

Fabieter

I have only seen news going around about it but that’s a huge turn off for me as I like continuing to upgrade my char after the main story is done as it’s fun to blast through again with all the moves unlocked etc. In previous games new game plus was always a feature in the main game not tied to expansion dlc. Need to wait for someone to finish western version to see if they have done it in that version too as so far people have only based this info off Asian release.

I mean adventure mode and ng+ isn't the same shit so I wondered if both were locked.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Almost no games should ever get a 10/10 score. Thats why we have a very large scale ot use.
fucking finally there is one man on the internet that agrees with my review system that i've been using for the past 15 years.

i've only awarded one game in my entire life a 10. GOTYs are SOMETIMES given 9s since I only give 9s to masterpieces, but most of the time they get an 8 from me.

we're using the entire scale here, folks. 6 is considered gutter trash in todays standard but 6 means "very good" in my scale.

Impotaku

T
I mean adventure mode and ng+ isn't the same shit so I wondered if both were locked.
That part I don’t know. I know the dlc mentions extra stuff on top of the NG+ along with costumes but don’t know if that extra stuff is the adventure mode.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I just finished Like A Dragon: Gaiden and was a great 20 hour game which bridged Like A Dragon (Yakuza 7) and Infinite Wealth. Started Infinite Wealth and am about 6 hours in. People need to keep in mind that it starts a bit slow, and build up the characters and starts out in Japan. Eventually everything will culminate with Ichiban getting to Hawaii, but that takes a few hours. Don't think you start that game and BAM!! Hawaii. No....that will come after around 5-6 hours. It's all good though.
That 5 hours is so damn good though!

I love the transition they make in those first few hours: I just really like how the team builds up Ichiban, I legitimately like the guy....I was sad for him when he didn't get a text response from Saeko...but yeah...love the game

TIGERCOOL

Is an appreciation for Japanese mellow drama and anime tropes required to enjoy these games? Always bounce off them after a dozen hours because it's a non-stop barrage of tutorials and lengthy cutscenes with wildly unearned, over-wrought emotional beats.

Also would I need to restart and finish Like a Dragon to reasonably approach the successors?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Is an appreciation for Japanese mellow drama and anime tropes required to enjoy these games? Always bounce off them after a dozen hours because it's a non-stop barrage of tutorials and lengthy cutscenes with wildly unearned, over-wrought emotional beats.

Also would I need to restart and finish Like a Dragon to reasonably approach the successors?
Just my opinion but if you started and didn't want to complete Like A Dragon I would say you would probably have a similar reaction to Infinite Wealth. They have made some tweaks to the combat, but it is still turn based, and there is still a TON of story beats, lengthy cut scenes and over-wrought emotional beats. Its a soap opera....but its a fucking awesome soap opera (imo).

Top Bottom