• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans of Japanese adventure games/mystery game fans, we shall feast in 2024!

First off, happy new year to everyone reading this thread. Also, happy new year to everyone else just for kicks! As a big fan of adventure games. mystery games, and the Japanese fork of this genre I couldn't help but notice that -- especially for a traditionally underserved niche -- there's a lot to look forward to in 2024. Two years ago if you would've told me that not only are we getting a remastered collection of two CiNG classics from my childhood, but an all new Rika Suzuki mystery adventure as well, I can't say I would've believed you and yet here we are.

The upcoming titles to be excited for hardly stop there either. And who can say what other surprises 2024 may deliver? At the start of last year I could've never anticipated that Square Enix would, exclusively in a Japan Nintendo Direct, announce one of the best mystery adventure games in years; I'm talking about Paranormasight. Here's hoping that the cult success of that game can lead to further releases from that team within Square.

So, while the new year is still young, let's have the few but passionate fans of this genre celebrate a promising new year of games. I can't wait for all these games and whatever surprises 2024 might have along the way!

GCvQTUBXkAA6H3k

Project Code Name "M" (tentatively titled) is the upcoming release from Novect, best known for "The House in Fata Morgana." It's billed as a "killing and solving" adventure game, where you play as both the killer devising complex murder plots, and the detectives hunting him down. Despite few concrete details the style and ambition is undeniable.

GCvQUXZXcAAeSIB

Another Code Recollection holds a special place in my heart. The original Trace Memory (Another Code outside of the USA) was unquestionably *the* game that sparked my lifelong fascination with the adventure genre (Ace Attorney and Monkey Island not long after). I hope everyone who plays this can embrace their inner forlorn 13 year old girl and enjoy a uniquely personal and human gaming experience.

GCvQX20WkAAKtyZ

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, even though I consider these entries into the Ace Attorney series to be relatively lesser than the best offerings, they're still head and shoulders above many other mystery adventure games you could play. Even though my heart still yearns for an AA7 announcement, I'm looking forward to replaying these games on my switch when it drops.
GCvQZS_XoAAN2KZ

Spirit Hunter: Death Mark II is the 3rd game in the Spirit Hunter series, direct sequel to the first. It looks to continue the series penchant for gruesomely depicted body horror based on Japanese urban myths. Only this time with revamped side-scrolling exploration and a revamped partner system, where who you bring along for the ghost hunts effects the outcome of the story.

GCvQcv0XQAAuOEK

Extreme X Despair (tentatively titled) was originally presented as "Project #1" during TooKyo games' founding. Little is known about this Kotaro Uchikoshi (Zero Escape series, Somnium Files series) and Kazutaka Kodaka (Danganronpa series, Raincode) collaboration. In the years since its announcement other projects from both creators have taken priority, but now there seem to be rumblings from the two an announcement could be underway in 2024.

GCvQfyRXMAAdmgr

Touch Detective 3 + The Complete Case Files is a collection of supremely charming DS adventure games, starring the 3rd entry which was never localized or released in the west. The series is quaint fun with stylish characters, an under appreciated ost, and perhaps the worst X-Play review of all time. I've played the first game and had a lot of fun with it, I've heard 2 & 3 are even better so I'm looking forward to playing them on the new release.

GCvSTQ9WUAAPJdx

EDEN.schemata(); is a game I almost thought for vaporware before the release of a new trailer a few months back. The stylish murder mystery promises "UI and game design that changes along with game progress," and you can kinda get a sense for what that means from the latest trailer. Who knows how far they'll push the concept, but if it's anything like the subeversion of expecations from 2023's Paranormasight, then I'm all the way down and then some.

GCvSUuJWcAEu6Ma

Tokyo Psychodemic is taking an interesting and deeply forensic approach to the mystery adventure genre. Giving the player more control over surveilling crime footage, testing evidence, and making deductions than your typical mystery game. There's a demo available on the steam page and even in the game's tutorial stage it's showing a lot of promise.

ULN8apa.jpeg

Dark Auction: Hitler's Estate is the latest upcoming game from legendary game developer Rika Suzuki, best known for her Riverhillsoft and CiNG classics like Murder Club, Another Code, and Hotel Dusk. In Dark Auction you play as the son of a has-been author obsessed with researching WWII and Hitler. Your father disappears after leaving for a mysterious auction selling old war memorabilia, fearing something ominous you follow after and soon find yourself trapped in the dark auction with various other participants.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Project Code Name "M" coming out in 2024? Im almost excited for most of the games on the list.

Blindy

Cannot wait for Death Mark II, one of my most anticipated games of the year. This year looks so good and seeing that Extreme X Despair game got me excited, didn't know that was even happening.

Project Code Name "M" coming out in 2024? Im almost excited for most of the games on the list.
It's not hard confirmed or anything, but from reading their dev blogs throughout 2023 I got the impression they're shooting for mid to late '24

Don't forget Urban Myth Dissolution Center!

English version is confirmed in Indie World, you can see it at 20:45

Yeah, this is another great pick. I'm looking forward to it especially because I've heard such good things about the devs previous game, "MAKOTO WAKAIDO’s Case Files." Plus, I'm really digging the art style in UMDC.

Top Bottom