• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider-Gaming — Indiana Jones Game is Releasing in 2024

From which perspective will you be able to play the Indiana Jones Game?

• Total voters

MacReady13

I'm certain now that this game will FINALLY be the one to make game pass that more attractive prospect...

Either way, I'll look forward to buying this (assuming it's good) once I build my gaming PC.

VulcanRaven

I'm very excited about this. I have wanted a new Indiana Jones game for a long time. I'm still sad the PS3/360 game was turned to a Wii game.

HL3.exe

Please do not give Indiana Jones the Blazkowicz treatment, he is a power fantasy, he does not need an emotional or weak side, he does not need an internal monologue full of poetry. Let him be one-dimensional and cliché.
This boggled my mind a bit. I'm out here complaining in another thread that most games writing is childish and one-dimensional, mostly filled with vapid power fantasies or boring binary good vs bad story tropes, making the industry feel infantile as a result, like there just toys.

I appreciated Starbreeze/Machine games's attempt to be subversive with videogame story tropes, what it means to be a power fantasy in a world not worth saving, and actually clash introspective characters development with cartoon logic video games silliness. It worked in a south Korean cinema sort of way. It not perfect, (especially compared to literature or film) but it's a hell of a lot better than 85% of games writing.

That's why i'm more interested in their approach to Indy. Could be at least way more interesting and unique then what the actual creators have farted out with the recent films.

Edit: and as for the polls, it's probably definitely first person. It's their wheelhouse. But with Todd at the helm, and their games using a full body skeletal system, maybe 3th person is an option.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I know a lot of people will think this unlikely, but I wonder if they're gonna get Harrison Ford to do the voice. Even though he never really did game VO before, they got him to do Han Solo in a Lego Star Wars game at some point, so it's possible.

VulcanRaven

I know a lot of people will think this unlikely, but I wonder if they're gonna get Harrison Ford to do the voice. Even though he never really did game VO before, they got him to do Han Solo in a Lego Star Wars game at some point, so it's possible.
When the game was first announced Troy Baker posted an Indiana Jones emoji on Twitter if I remember right.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
GDesCAQXYAAJHFP

Looks like the game is closer than we think,

Would be kind of a riot if this comes out before HB2 lol

Chukhopops

This boggled my mind a bit. I'm out here complaining in another thread that most games writing is childish and one-dimensional, mostly filled with vapid power fantasies or boring binary good vs bad story tropes, making the industry feel infantile as a result, like there just toys.

I appreciated Starbreeze/Machine games's attempt to be subversive with videogame story tropes, what it means to be a power fantasy in a world not worth saving, and actually clash introspective characters development with cartoon logic video games silliness. It worked in a south Korean cinema sort of way. It not perfect, (especially compared to literature or film) but it's a hell of a lot better than 85% of games writing.

That's why i'm more interested in their approach to Indy. Could be at least way more interesting and unique then what the actual creators have farted out with the recent films.

Edit: and as for the polls, it's probably definitely first person. It's their wheelhouse. But with Todd at the helm, and their games using a full body skeletal system, maybe 3th person is an option.
My concern is that « fleshing out » Indiana Jones is most likely going to involve some form of character deconstruction.

Chances are it’s going to be the « pillaging other cultures » angle or, even worse, trying to paint Indy’s behavior as a form of compensation for childhood trauma or whatever. And I really don’t trust MG to write something nuanced when they were so hamfisted with the characters and antagonists of TNC.

Generally speaking I don’t like the obsession with taking simple, power fantasy characters and trying to make them have doubts or a softer side. Part of the power fantasy is specifically that they are fearless, decisive, overconfident so you just lose part of their identity in the process.

Now it’s possible I’m just projecting and will be entirely wrong when the game comes out.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
My concern is that « fleshing out » Indiana Jones is most likely going to involve some form of character deconstruction.

Chances are it’s going to be the « pillaging other cultures » angle or, even worse, trying to paint Indy’s behavior as a form of compensation for childhood trauma or whatever. And I really don’t trust MG to write something nuanced when they were so hamfisted with the characters and antagonists of TNC.

Generally speaking I don’t like the obsession with taking simple, power fantasy characters and trying to make them have doubts or a softer side. Part of the power fantasy is specifically that they are fearless, decisive, overconfident so you just lose part of their identity in the process.

Now it’s possible I’m just projecting and will be entirely wrong when the game comes out.
For sure. This was essentially Jaffe's objection to modern Kratos. Indiana Jones is purposefully kept simplistic - he hates snakes and boring lectures at university. He loves adventuring and his hat. The biggest nugget of backstory you really get in part 3 is that he's named after a dog. It's purposefully mocking the idea of fleshing him out.

Saber

Gold Member
Indy has been my hero since I was a kid. I’m really looking forward to this.

Excited as well but worried about they gonna handle it. Indie on movies weren't handled well, and I feel like Disney might want to De-Indie him to make him "more acceptable to modern audience", do dirty on him or whatever just to dimish the character. I just hope I'm dead wrong and they deliver him just awesome. Oh and on 3rd person.

Bond007

Looking forward to this more than any Xbox exclusive since atleast Titanfall 1.
My expectations arent high though.

digdug2

I remember reading rumors a while back that the game would have first person and third person sections. I hope that's the case... though I suppose we'll probably find out soon enough.

ungalo

Even though i'm not really interested it's still a good surprise and i hope there will be others because right now the second half of the year is almost empty.

I think (and i hope) it will be third person. Even Arkane went third person for Blade i expect Machine Games to do it for Indiana Jones.

This is surprising because it wasn't shown at the last big MS presentation.
Agree, pretty much its first showing is a deep dive into the game which is somewhat different. Interesting to see what type of game it is in terms of genre. It's easy to say a FPS given the developer's previous games but we do know that Todd is overseeing this which could indicate some RPG elements?

I guess this is one good example of "let them cook". Don't make the developers create vertical slices for trade shows and just let them focus on the game itself.

No problem with that. There's not a perfect way to show your game, each approach has its ups and downs.

Ozzie666

I'm doubtful, but happy to be wrong. I was half thinking they just remastered Fate of Atlantis or Infernal Machine.

I never believe any release dates, until it's actually a release date. I don't trust Microsoft at all when it comes to promising games.

amigastar

Anyone remembers Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb from 2003?
Wasn't as bad. I hope the new Indy game will be even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
So

Stalker 2
ARA
Hellblade 2
Avowed
Indiana Jones
MSFS 2024
Towerborne
Call of Duty: Black Ops Gulf War
Silksong
Replaced

all in Game Pass in 2024?
Not bad at all...
imagine this being true (it will not) and yet the discourse around xbox still going to be all doom and gloom.

Cindy Anna.
I'm just glad we'll get to play as Indy. Was worried we'd end up playing as some unidentifiable character.
Agreed mate. Playing as Indy and not having him looking like someone else to make the virtue signalers happy is a big plus indeed. Keeping this game true to the movies and his character will be quite the draw for fans. Machine games did a great job with Wolfenstein and if this should involve the Nazis this series was so famous for having, then it should be an action packed intense game. Also, there has to be some pretty damsels or love interest as Indy was quite the ladies man. Yet another problem for the woke crowd who will vilify the devs and the game for once again portraying women as weak victims needing a man to save them. So many possibilities indeed. Cant wait to see how true this game will hopefully be to the series. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Isa

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hopefully it's good. The latest movie got meh reviews given the franchise's history and made bad money. Crystal Skull made double and Dial of Destiny's box office receipts were similar to the 80s movies despite ticket prices probably being 3x or 4x what they were 35-40 years ago.

I hope they keep Indy similar to his 80s days and not tag teamed with a belittling female lead.

Keep it simple and copy the 80s movies. One part story and exploring, one part action with some comedy. That's it. No need for messing up the cast and getting politcal.

Last edited:

renzero

Neo Member
Most likely announce for this year and will be delayed to next year so I’m gonna say releasing spring 2025!

Top Bottom