• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite E3 or Direct Trailer of All Time?

DryvBy

I was looking for this old Halo trailer and finally found it (I kept thinking it was from 1999 but it was 2000). This was a frequent watch. When Xbox bought the rights to it, it forced us to buy an Xbox.

Doom 3 and the MacWorld video with John Carmack really stuck out for me. It's not even my favorite DOOM but its the video I watched with a friend multiple times at the time. There was something so amazing about a door opening and seeing light pour into a room.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Easily the Nintendo conference from 2004.

I even made a huge post about it on GAF like 15 years ago, which then resulted in the greatest thread on GAF I ever made by far (which was about Waffle Crisp…. It’s hard to explain.) Hell, I even bought a DVD set of the conferences from that year.

But that presentation was just so iconic. Reggie had his first public appearance, Miyamoto said the whole “I am not Link, but I do know him!” thing after a hype Zelda trailer, Iwata pulled the DS from his jacket, then he teased the Nintendo “Revolution”. It was peak E3.

It’s worth a watch if you’ve never seen it. I miss E3.

The MGS2 trailer is a close second for me.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Aging Matt Damon GIF

Followed by Konami 2010

REDRZA MWS

The original trailer got me pretty fired up back in the day.

This new one with the same song did it all over again.

Came to post this. The OG Gears on 360, the first trailer, was one of the best ever. I’m glad this new one is going back to origin stories and hopefully a more true Gears 1-3 than the last couple.

Perrott

As someone who followed the game since its inception in the Versus XIII days, this one was very special.
Such a shame that this version was never realized after a decade. What could've been... "lollipop_disappointed:

DndI0-VU8AAXxid.jpg:large
Nomura was certainly done dirty when Square Enix took his baby away from him.

I'd trade the Final Fantasy VII remake trilogy for his original vision of a Versus trilogy without hesitation.

mortal

Nomura was certainly done dirty when Square Enix took his baby away from him.

I'd trade the Final Fantasy VII remake trilogy for his original vision of a Versus trilogy without hesitation.
I would too, in a heartbeat. FFVII diehards be damned lol

SkylineRKR

This trailer sold me on what the PS2 was capable of. 24 years later and it still impresses me as far as what they were able to get out of that hardware

This trailer pretty much buried any pretenses Sega might've had up until that point. It showed what the PS2 was capable of and some of it we didn't see before. And nothing of it was bullshots, the full game looks exactly like it.

This MGS2 trailer also brought a sort of blockbuster grandeur to gaming.

Easily the Nintendo conference from 2004.

I even made a huge post about it on GAF like 15 years ago, which then resulted in the greatest thread on GAF I ever made by far (which was about Waffle Crisp…. It’s hard to explain.) Hell, I even bought a DVD set of the conferences from that year.

But that presentation was just so iconic. Reggie had his first public appearance, Miyamoto said the whole “I am not Link, but I do know him!” thing after a hype Zelda trailer, Iwata pulled the DS from his jacket, then he teased the Nintendo “Revolution”. It was peak E3.

It’s worth a watch if you’ve never seen it. I miss E3.

The MGS2 trailer is a close second for me.

There was only one answer, it really ushered in a new era for Nintendo.

Was going to post this lol.

This is the definitive video, the view from the crowd. Early leavers running back to their seats to see the "one more thing" (back when it was not so cliche). The eruption of cheers as people recognized this was the realistic style Zelda they thought Nintendo had forgotten. The guy pointing in disbelief as Miyamoto appears with the hylian shield and master sword, to a standing ovation. Literal grown men in tears witnessing their favorite games from childhood growing up with them, recognizing how legitimate video games were becoming as a form of mainstream entertainment. While I wasn't there, I was watching live on a crappy stream and it was the E3 finale from a dream - couldn't have asked for a better moment. I still get the feels watching that video today - somehow 20 years later.

Not that Home was that special, it's just that the ad/trailer is fantastic and this was a time when the PS3 was firing on all cylinders and just a damn fun time to be a gamer. Brings back a lot of good memories. That generation was so effing fun!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
To many to pick, Maybe before but everything from this

This trailer sold me on what the PS2 was capable of. 24 years later and it still impresses me as far as what they were able to get out of that hardware

Was pure gold up to 2015...2016 wasn't bad either
2002 was mad because Konami alone had Zone of the Enders the 2nd Runner, Silent Hill 3 and MGS2 Subsistence and they just released ZOE1, SH2 & MGS2SOL
complete madness
2007 was special too
Mirrors Edge, Prince of Persia and Assassins Creed
What a time man.
And 2013 😳
Sony was on fire
This one was absolutely incredible for me:

When that Firefly emblem showed up on the sign I lost my shit

And this is when it all went to shit
Not the Last of Us 2 announcement, but something was off then and everything just got worse after.

Last edited:

Lambogenie

Easily either Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Metal Gear Solid 2, FFVII Remake.

Nothing else will ever come close. Maybe a Fortnite/Minecraft remake trailer in 30 years time.

The Versus XIII trailer is just masterpiece work. Betterr than Kojima's wannabe-movie personality.

Bonus to Kingdom Hearts III full reveal. That was also grand.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

Montages designed to enhance the presentation experience I liked those during the times of E3.

Hunnybun

I'd say the one that got me more excited than any other is probably the TLOU2 gameplay reveal in 2018. No wonder, really, because it was downgraded quite a bit by release, but man did that trailer just look staggeringly good at the time, and it sure seemed like it was real.

If we're talking of all similar events, then it's still the first Mario 64 showing, by a mile.

Top Bottom