• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft Crowned Most Iconic Video Games Character of All Time, According to BAFTA Poll

Mozzarella

BAFTA is the worst award of the big 4 I literally dont care what they think. The only good choice they ever made was giving Outer Wilds GOTY.

Gojiira

Lara makes the most sense of any character, she was the first character to have truly widespread appeal that went beyond just games. Mario might be iconic to gamers but Lara had mass appeal in the 90’s, I really dont think any other game character has come close. I dont see Mario being the brand ambassador to Timex and Jeep, or being a fashion icon, a cg model before it was even a thing etc etc. It makes total sense why she was picked.

Lara makes the most sense of any character, she was the first character to have truly widespread appeal that went beyond just games. Mario might be iconic to gamers but Lara had mass appeal in the 90’s, I really dont think any other game character has come close. I dont see Mario being the brand ambassador to Timex and Jeep, or being a fashion icon, a cg model before it was even a thing etc etc. It makes total sense why she was picked.

Dc Comics Slapping GIF

Will Smith Punch GIF by Xavier Degraux

Unknown?

Sonic? Of all time? Is this 1995?
Maybe it is to you because it sounds like you live under a rock! Highly successful mobile games, TV Shows, movies, AND comics. Oh and sells tons of merch to kids. Outside of the 90s Sonic is the most popular he has ever been.

Last edited:

E-Cat

I never claimed they werent Europeans, but those cant vote for BAFTA, so saying Europeans did vote Lara Croft is misleading!
So then the remark about them not being in the EU anymore was totally superfluous because it makes no difference either way. :)

Came here just to say this. I really don't think people remember the impact she had on videogames and female characters.

And lol at people mentioning Samus. You literally play as a robot. You didn't even know that was a woman until the end of the first game or something like that, lmao.

nkarafo

Mario is almost as iconic and recognizable as Mickey Mouse.

Yes, Lara did make huge impact in the mid 90's and was a popular icon for a while. But only for a while. Her popularity only lasted a single generation of consoles. After that nobody cared for her until the recent remakes. And even then she was still not nearly as popular as in her PS1 days.

I don't think she deserves being in top 3. Maybe Top 5 at best. Behind Mario, Sonic, Link and Pac-Man. Maybe Donkey Kong too, i don't know.

ahtlas7

Landmark players poll? Lara at #1? 🤣 If this were even remotely true then one of the platforms would have turned the character into their mascot.

James Pond in number one.

I think most popular will transcend generations like Mario, and even Lara to an extent but is probably limited up to gen X, the chatgpt list is mostly good. This Pokemon stuff completely passed me by like Power Rangers, I really doubt this Pikachu lands with many older gens around the world like Mario, Sonic, Pacman etc would. I've not played a minute of Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z, for all I know they could be be formed from Japanese cartoons before the video game, there's many characters in the games I believe, not sure what makes this Pikachu the standout one, feels like one of many like a chocobo from FF series. Yes it seems very popular with a certain gen onwards.

I could ask ten friends in their mid 40s and 50s, they'd know Lara Croft, Mario Sonic Pac Man as well as animated Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck or toy Barbie, even their kids are into Disney and Barbie. None of them know what Pokemon is or the characters.

Three

Ok well if Mario isn't most iconic, who is? Surely you aren't suggesting it is Lara Croft, with this OP serving as evidence? Surely.

Isn't this based on a poll? Unless you can come up with a reason to discredit the methodology how can it be wrong?

BlackTron

Isn't this based on a poll? Unless you can come up with a reason to discredit the methodology how can it be wrong?

Agent 47 beat Link, so whatever the methodology is it does not appear to have produced results that reflect reality. Since we all live in the same one, I assume this is obvious for most people

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
… but seriously.
Pikachu at number 12.

The absolute mascot of one of the world’s top-grossing IPs.

A character that’s marked the childhood of three generations by now. Not to mention, generations of parents who had no real choice squandering thousands of bucks in Pokemon everything for their kids.

If anything, Pikachu should be above Mario himself. Both have vastly expanded beyond the limits of their medium of origin, but Pikachu is literally still everywhere in 2024.

Lara definitely deserves the top 3, anyway. She may have long fallen out of fashion among non-gamers, but anyone who was older than elementary school in the late 90s will remember Lara being the absolute buzz of the town for a year or two, and the main drive to the success of the PlayStation. If you think Master Chief was ever more popular than Miss Croft, please think again - and consider that Lara was played on the big screen by fucking Angelina Jolie in her prime.

Last edited:

Three

Agent 47 beat Link, so whatever the methodology is it does not appear to have produced results that reflect reality. Since we all live in the same one, I assume this is obvious for most people
Agent 47/Hitman had a movie so it's not out of the ordinary that possibly more people recognised him outside of gaming forums.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Mario’s is unequivocally number 1. After that I’d say PAC Man. After that I’d say Link, Sonic, Solid Snake, and master Chief got hosed.

Markio128

I can just about get my head around Lara being at the top (should be Mazza really), but the rest of the list is incredibly idiotic.
Magazine Everyone GIF

BlackTron

Agent 47/Hitman had a movie so it's not out of the ordinary that possibly more people recognised him outside of gaming forums.

I think it's hard to make the case that Agent 47 is more well known outside of gaming forums than Link. Again, this is just from going through every day life. Practically everyone has heard of Legend of Zelda even non-gamers. I would never bring up Agent 47 in a "normal" conversation though. Meanwhile girls stick Zelda on their dating profiles lol.

In any case I think it's obvious the answer is Mario. Iconic doesn't just mean recognizable, it means an icon that stands for gaming.

Gojiira

Mario is almost as iconic and recognizable as Mickey Mouse.

Yes, Lara did make huge impact in the mid 90's and was a popular icon for a while. But only for a while. Her popularity only lasted a single generation of consoles. After that nobody cared for her until the recent remakes. And even then she was still not nearly as popular as in her PS1 days.

I don't think she deserves being in top 3. Maybe Top 5 at best. Behind Mario, Sonic, Link and Pac-Man. Maybe Donkey Kong too, i don't know.
Im sorry but everybody knows Lara Croft, but the fact remains she is ICONIC OUTSIDE OF GAMING. Yes Mario is iconic, not once did I say he wasnt, but not a single videogame character besides Lara has had any impact beyond gaming…You can cry all you want about it, you can try and ‘limit’ her impact all you want but it doesnt change facts.

Im not gonna argue this with people who have their blinders on, Im more gutted Solid Snake or Big Boss isnt higher, and Dante from DMC absolutely deserves to be super high, hell Leon Kennedy should be in the top ten.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The Iconic female character that wouldn't even exist as it is by todays western media and developers idea of what a "real" woman is or should be

Last edited:

Maogp

lol sackboy and agent 47.
I could agree with Lara, she is definitely iconic, maybe top 3 at least. Even Kratos Is weird in that list if you ask me.

Im sorry but everybody knows Lara Croft, but the fact remains she is ICONIC OUTSIDE OF GAMING. Yes Mario is iconic, not once did I say he wasnt, but not a single videogame character besides Lara has had any impact beyond gaming…You can cry all you want about it, you can try and ‘limit’ her impact all you want but it doesnt change facts.

Im not gonna argue this with people who have their blinders on, Im more gutted Solid Snake or Big Boss isnt higher, and Dante from DMC absolutely deserves to be super high, hell Leon Kennedy should be in the top ten.
Exactly.
Lara Croft got so big outside of gaming that the second game literally included "Starring Lara Croft" below the title, like she was a famous actress.

TR2eu.jpg

Like...who else? This videogame character even got to be the cover of magazines OUTSIDE of gaming

1.jpg

Got famous drinks renamed after her

August-3-735x400.jpg

Like...no one is saying Mario isn't iconic. Of course he is. But Lara Croft literally blurred the lines between a videogame character and managed to leave that industry and be bigger than the games she was a part of.

Also people naming Link? For real...there's people that call that character Zelda out there.

This isn't about "most iconic gaming franchises". Zelda would be ahead. It's about "iconic videogame CHARACTERS".

And she was doing this during the 90's. Almost 30 years ago!

Three

I think it's hard to make the case that Agent 47 is more well known outside of gaming forums than Link. Again, this is just from going through every day life. Practically everyone has heard of Legend of Zelda even non-gamers. I would never bring up Agent 47 in a "normal" conversation though. Meanwhile girls stick Zelda on their dating profiles lol.
It's a BAFTA poll. Depending on the type of exposure given to the poll it's not far fetched that a video game character with a movie might be more known in that circle.

AJUMP23

Bafta is showing its British Bias.

Was Lara featured at the UK Olympics, no..... Was Mario all over the Japanese Olympics, YES! He was part of the announcement for it.

Mario is as iconic as Mickey mouse.

BlackTron

It's a BAFTA poll. Depending on the type of exposure given to the poll it's not far fetched that a video game character with a movie might be more known in that circle.

Right -in that circle. In other words this 4000-sample poll isn't worth much more than a GameFAQs character battle, despite aiming to "establish" the most iconic game character lol.

nkarafo

Exactly.
Lara Croft got so big outside of gaming that the second game literally included "Starring Lara Croft" below the title, like she was a famous actress.

TR2eu.jpg

Like...who else? This videogame character even got to be the cover of magazines OUTSIDE of gaming

1.jpg

Got famous drinks renamed after her

August-3-735x400.jpg

Like...no one is saying Mario isn't iconic. Of course he is. But Lara Croft literally blurred the lines between a videogame character and managed to leave that industry and be bigger than the games she was a part of.

Also people naming Link? For real...there's people that call that character Zelda out there.

This isn't about "most iconic gaming franchises". Zelda would be ahead. It's about "iconic videogame CHARACTERS".

And she was doing this during the 90's. Almost 30 years ago!

0aaee0423a3bb2ddb572d43ddd972623.jpg
wqm6ggn.png
iv02ZMU.png

xvhoO5nOmBtlvPWitbSYmpuktILJgAUmA-BG_Kqm1cRl6kTU5mdgQkGrbCpVL58AcDxdyfeG3hT_6qR2pSlMi-H4Asbuiyhqz4kS3-L9mmz6hJmiVE11KZjqiLfG
l07hvnlxadu51.jpg
4080.jpg

eSLKKhy.png
s-l1600.jpg
16043b0f5cc6fe4bc419443dd2ec2988.jpg

Top Bottom