• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite opening level/scene in a game?

DonJorginho

Banned
You read the title, this time on "DonJorginho asks random gaming questions to the masses" I wanna see what is your personal favourite opening level/scene to a game? Could it be something that gripped you emotionally and never let go throughout? Could it be something that stayed vivid in your mind from your childhood even up to now when you're all grown up and like to reminisce about that special opening level/scene?

For me, it has to be Bioshock, what a fucking blinder of an opening that game has. From the moment you sink lower into the depths of Rapture and watch all this monumental architecture surround you, a foreshadowing to the looming threats which will try to stop you throughout your journey within this false utopia. The atmosphere is as thick as the water that covers all of the environment in eternal gloominess and the sound design shines as you witness all the horrors that this fallen safe haven has to offer.

I could go on for days about my love for Bioshock's opening alone let alone the whole game itself, but I want to hear from you lot! So, what is your favourite opening level and/or scene in gaming ladies and gents?

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

MGS opening
MGS 2 Tank
Perfect Dark 1st level
Shen Mue opening
Guardian Heroes
Castlevania SOTN
Bloodborne
MGS4
Uncharted 2 opened with a bang too and made me think this is special

zcaa0g

Banned
For its time, the tram ride in Half-Life 1 couldn't be beat. Yeah, sure you could only move around and jump in the tram, but it was incredible at the time with all of the colored lighting, visuals and sounds.

Last edited:
- Super Castlevania IV

The first stage perfectly sets up the entire game, starting with a somber ambient track as you cross the castle's outer courtyard before erupting into Simon's theme once you barge your way into the inner courtyard and start cracking skulls.

-StarFox

I lived and breathed this game when it came out. The music alone in the first stage cemented this game's soundtrack as one of my favorite game OSTs ever produced. For a console gamer who hadn't seem the likes of X-Wing, this was me flying a space fighter. Shame a series that started so strong died such a shitty death.

- Panzer Draoon

A small group of soldiers out on a routine scouting mission get ambushed by some scorpions, give chase, then one of them, the soldier you play as, finds himself mixed up in a battle between two dragon riders. One rider is critically wounded, transfers his knowledge to you and dies, leaving you to take up his mantle. The remake very faithfully recreated the opening scene.

Original

- Metroid Prime

A radical departure from the series, but after playing the intro research facility and fist landing on Talon IV I was already more than sold on it. This game is from 2002, and it was running at a lock 60fps.

- Resident Evil 4

You're in the shit and some asshole with a chainsaw is going to kill you. The game really never let up from that point so it was a great way to let you know what to expect.

- Forza Horizon

All the Horizon games have intros that are all well done, but the original's intro really set the entire series up perfectly.

- Breath of the Wild

You wake up in a tiny room and within minutes you find yourself right in the middle of Hyrule with everything coming displayed to you at the edge on an outcropping. Hyrule Castle, Death Mountain, the Temple of Time, etc, are all just begging you to explore.

Top Bottom