• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unintentionally Funny/ Weird Game Design Choices

Marvel14

Banned
I hope this thread can be an entertaining read of everyone's favourite unintentionally funny/weird design choices in different games. I'll kick things off. It might be helpful so that contributions can be read quickly if posts follow a similar structure.

The Game: Ghost of Tsushima
A fun samurai game with lovely and beautiful art style. It nevertheless suffers from some poor and quite amateurish design.

The Bad and The Fugly
  • The animation of you with your horse when you complete some Tales of Tsushima. Your character's face looks like he's just taken crystal meth and been sniffing glue at the same time. Meanwhile the horse gives him a janky poke and his reaction is as if the horse just confessed to disturbing bestiality rumours about the two of them.
  • Superhorse: it's completely indestructible. At the start of the game I kept pressing the wrong button and kept slashing it with my samurai blade instead of getting on it. Superhorse would move away and forgive me after some quick cajoling. Lately I've thrown us off cliffs which apparently breaks its legs but no, it's just resting for a bit after landing. Also thrown it into melee where Super horse gets poked, bombed, pierced and slashed. It just, lets me off, obligingly moves out of the way and waits for me to finish on foot- so considerate.
  • Claustrophobic camera: fighting in buildings and enclosed spaces feels as if the game's cameraman is being pressed into the walls because he can't get out of the way and the camera goes all over the place- funny and annoying all at once.
  • Moonlighting buttons: Fighting near windows doors and gaps when the stance-change button and open door/squeeze-through-here button are the same can have you run away from a fight where youre kicking mongol ass.
  • Character expressions: a deep flaw this one. A beautiful game with facial expressions seemingly out of a PS1 game is really jarring. My fave has to be the dude on the island desperate to rescue his daughter who's been kidnapped by the mongols days ago. When you rescue her and she gets in the boat he looks at you like you've just brought an old pair of smelly sandals on board with you.
  • Enemy and item pop in into an empty world: in the open world enemies just pop out of nowhere or are just waiting for the director to yell "Action!" seemingly just to encounter you. This feeling is made worse because you never see anyone coming from far away, no passive npcs ever appear travelling on roads and passive npcs don't react and are immune to you swinging your sword around. And what's with all the tortured bodies strewn about the place? You can't interact with them either so they feel like elaborate props. Similar story in villages and encampments. After you clear some of them, items for collection magically reset and sometimes the time of day and weather magically change too- its like youre not really there and playing a made up game.
  • Rude NPCs: when you go indoors with them they will always shut the door in your face. And you're trying to help them the ungrateful bastards.
And finally "supplies". That's a catch all term that tells you next to nothing about your needs. But somehow a magical ingredient that is used to make and upgrade loads of things. What is it? Answers on a postcard.

Final note: playing this game really shows how much more important gameplay is to graphics. The two open world zeldas are superior immersive and gameplay experiences in almost every way except visually (and fighting- marginally).

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I just dropped by to say that I never liked you, and I'm glad you're banned.

Working Comedy Central GIF by Drunk History

The two open world zeldas are superior immersive and gameplay experiences in almost every way except visually (and fighting- marginally).

This is a prominent reason. You elevate Nintendo, and you think that the Zelda games are God's gift to mankind. *blech*

On topic, not being able to pause games in single player.

For example, in Need for Speed: Rivals, even if you were playing by yourself (all multiplayer options disabled), there was no way to pause the game. The devs tried to defend it saying it's so you could easily get into multiplayer this way, but just have a pause option when multiplayer is disabled.

I have also seen this in some Souls-esque games. Bruh! Let me pause the game and take a piss!

BlackTron

This was a bizarre post and it doesn't surprise me it didn't get any replies until today. Most of this "weird" or "funny" stuff in Ghost reads like a dissertation on modern video games.

Wait wait wait...except Nintendo. As if Zelda doesn't have pop-in, context-sensitive buttons, invincible NPCs...etc.

IAmRei

This is a prominent reason. You elevate Nintendo, and you think that the Zelda games are God's gift to mankind. *blech*

It is, zelda is founder of lock on camera, popularized context button, and popularized action adventure genre

Last edited:
Comparing combat in Zelda to GoT's should grant a permaban, for IQ below the minimum to post safely on a videogame board.

It is, zelda is founder of lock on camera, popularized context button, and popularized action adventure genre

And many other games "invented" many other things. What does that even have to do with GoT?

Thank god we don't have these shit takes from the fanboys of all those other games that were pioneers in something. Not even from the Souls community.

Top Bottom